» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Hello Sports Center?  It's me Obi
Hello Sports Center? It's me Obi
Published by Swampy Meadows
02-22-2020
Hello Sports Center? It's me Obi

DAYTON (OH) -- Gee, it seems like only 10 days ago I was sitting here in the Arena watching UD thrash the Rhody Rams. Ten days before that I was in Pittsburgh to see the Flyers duke it out with the Dukes. Now I’m here for the return engagement and will be back again in 2 weeks for the final home game vs. GW.

For a guy that lives 200+ miles away, this team, this building, this season can get awfully habit forming, no?

On the one hand like all of you, I can’t wait to see what the postseason brings; on the other, we all want this magic to go on forever.

The beauty of a 2:00 pm matinee is that I can buzz down I-75, play some pickup hoops at the Rec Plex, enjoy the Duquesne game at the Arena and still get back home to Michigan at a semi-reasonable hour. Played a bunch of two-on-two with some young guys at the Rec Plex and as a result, got stuck in the Stewart Street traffic, but here we go!

The teams trade misses until Carry drains a three but Obi answers with one of his own--good now I can see. Trey misses a pair of FTs but redeems himself on a nice back door cut and feed from Ryan. Trey is racking up the boards. Obi on a breakaway jam. Trey on an oop from Jalen and we are tied at 9. Dukes are scoring way too easily. 11-9 Dukes with 13 remaining in the initial stanza. Mikesell ties it up on a dime from Obi, then Toppin scores on a lefty layup and wakes the crowd up with a dunk on a feed from Jalen. 15-14 UD with 11 to go. AG makes wholesale changes. Jordy with the putback on an Ibi miss. Trey with a layup down Main Street. Cohill hits a floater. Ibi gets his 2nd PF on what looked like a clean block. 21-19 UD at the under 8 media TO.

The Dukes try to press but the Flyers solve it. Rodney pump fakes his way to three FTs and makes 2 of 3. Duquesne is matching UD bucket for bucket. Dwayne with another floater. Marcus Weathers is eating UD’s lunch on the O boards. Cohill hurts himself while committing a PF. Trey gets crushed on a dunk attempt. The Dukes only have 3 PF thus far. All tied at 29 with 4 to go.

Jhery turns it over on an exceptionally lazy pass but redeems himself with a steal. Obi drains a pair and UD is up one. Dukes go up 3 on a make by Carry. But Obi ties it up with a triple. Carry cashes in a Chatman TO and they are up 4 with :25 remaining. Let’s see what AG has drawn up. Rather than a Jalen triple try the Flyers work the rock around for an Obi layin as time expires. 38-36 Dukes at the break.

Somehow UD shot 54% from the field in the first half, with Obi scoring 16 on 6-8 shooting. Equally amazing is that UD only had 4 turnovers and the Dukes 2. This trading hoops with the Dukes isn’t a good long-term strategy. I think AG is gonna need to ride his starters for the majority of the minutes in the second half.

Jalen is having an off game thus far. The Dukes hammer Mikesell three times in a row in the same possession. Obi with the assist to Ryan on a nice cut and then Obi absolutely raises the freakin’ roof on a skywalking jam.

Hello Sports Center? It’s me, Obi...again!

TO Dukes!

Obi gets fouled on a turnaround J and splits the pair. Trey with the circus tip in of an Obi miss. Jalen gets his name in the paper with a spinner. Airball!!! Jalen Crutcher for three!!! TO Dukes again. 48-42 UD with 14 left on the ticker. Need to step on their throats. Jalen gets fouled on a three attempt. He converts all of ‘em.

Obi gets called for a bogus foul and then Trey gets a very late whistle sending Carry to the stripe where he goes 1 for 2. Jalen again for 3. Excellent ball movement leads to a Chatman corner 3! Crutcher then feeds Obi for the thunder dunk. Dukes turn it over under heavy pressure. Our apple up 12 with 11 on the clock. Unfortunately, Obi gets called for a carry. Obi Toppin for three!!

Jalen gets intentionally fouled on a fast break and actually makes the bucket but it won’t count. Man, is #10 money on FTs. Trey converts a Jalen miss for a 4 point play. Shot clock violation gives the ball back to UD. Mikesell get called on a questionable blocking foul, but it’s only UD’s 4th and the Dukes are already over the limit. 66-49 Flyers at the under 8 media TO. Finally the stripes call an offensive foul on DU. Crutcher and Obi take turns missing threes. Obi misses the front end of a 1 and 1. Weathers is scoring at will. Obi with the reverse jam from Ryan! Lead is down to 12 after a Steele three with just under 5 to go.

Sloppy TO by Ibi and the lead is cut to 10. Let’s not make this game interesting fellas. Dukes trap Crutch and he luckily gets the TO call. Gotta protect the rock and make our FTs. Jalen hits a floater. Steele with another trey. Obi misses an oop and Dayton is fortunate to get the ball back after DU had several attempts under their own rim. 72-63 with 3 and change remaining.

Obi makes the press breaker dunk with authority on a feed from Landers! Obi goaltends and the lead is 8. Crutch is fouled and makes them both, of course. Another in a continuing series of late whistles sends Weathers to the line but he only makes 1. Mikesell hits both and the bulge stretches to 11 with 1:00 left. Ryan drains another pair and this one is history.

UD 80
DU 70

Obi finished with 28 points and is now a member of the 1,000 Point Club at UD. After the game, Obi said his mom Roni has been texting him constantly with an updated countdown. He showed us his phone and he had 3 texts from Roni on his screen. He also didn’t realize that he had executed a reverse dunk until I pointed out to him that yes, you did. It kinda looked like this:

https://twitter.com/DavidPJablonski/...17821776224256

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools