UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2017 Match Threads

2017 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-02-2017, 02:39 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,359 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Pitt Match

It's on Sunday. Pitt vs ISU going now. ISU take the first two sets 16 and 19 and lead in the third, but it's early. ISU hitting over .400 for the match versus they hit under .200 against UD. I really want to beat Pitt tomorrow so I'm hoping the team gives them everything they can.
Advertisement
Old 09-02-2017, 02:56 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Pitt wins 3rd set 25 - 16

Pitt wins 4th set 25 - 19

Going to game 5

ISU wins set 5 21 - 19

Dayton will have their work cut out tomorrow, Pitt with 11 service aces

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 09-02-2017 at 03:54 PM..
Old 09-03-2017, 12:42 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Sloan is taking practice. Pla has a brace on left wrist.

Edit: Peterson doesn't have a brace on, but isn't taking practice. Hubacek is in taking practice.

Last edited by Figgie123; 09-03-2017 at 12:47 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-03-2017), UDVBFan (09-04-2017)
Old 09-03-2017, 12:48 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not 100% sure of this, but I don't think Pla is left-handed. So her injury doesn't appear to be to her hitting arm/hand. That's good news as long as she can still block.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:00 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Pla was not practicing, so I'm not sure it matters.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:04 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Sloan not starting.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:27 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
For those in Dayton area - match is on Spectrum Sports TV - 311 and 1311.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:36 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Dayton drops set 1 25-21.
Old 09-03-2017, 01:54 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Horsmon gets a yellow card for arguing a double hit by Emmenecker.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:05 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Flyers lose set 2 25-19.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:15 PM

Spectrum Announcers are pretty good. I think one of the guys played volleyball. They have mentioned Dayton has injuries but gave no specifics or who was out. I'm not sure they know what starters and rotation players played last year and are out. For example, Laura came in for a play or two and they said she played a lot last year but only saw her first action against Iowa State. Didn't say why or that she got in for only one rotation against ISU.

Other mistake, Brooke went on a service run at the end of set 1 and they kept saying it was Jordan.

But the one guy knows the game. He understands when there is a bad pass and bad set and how it affects the game, etc.

We are a player short again today to beat Pitt, just like the ISU match. If we had Sloan or Peterson it would change the match. I hope we come out on Fire in the third and take the set. But, it will be very difficult with our injuries to win this match.

One better thing is we have seen some nice sets to the Rightside. It's still a work in progress, but against ISU I don't think we ran a slide and sets to the right pin were way too far off the net. It didn't matter who the hitter was. Today it's better...not consistantly or great yet, but you can see improvement. And Bruns is improving as an attacker from the backrow. Same thing here. Not consistant or great yet, but improving.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:24 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Sloan in for Jordan. And gets the kill, but Hubacek is back row for Sloan and Jordan.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:52 PM

Pitt wins in 3. 21-19-19. Sloan got 4-5 rotations in the front row. Laura about the same in the backrow. A "rotation" is each team has a player serve. So if each player serves once, that's one rotation and two points. If your player serves 3 times and their player serves one time, that's one rotation but 4 points. A half rotation is just one team serves.

So they each had very limited time on the court, but as long as their injuries respond well to that effort, it looks like they might be getting back into the rotation sooner rather than later.

Team just needs to move forward. It is what it is and those on the court just have to get better. It's about getting ready for the a10 with the players that can go. The goals haven't changed. 1. Win the A10. 2. Win the A10 Tournament. 3. Win the NCAA first round. 4. Get to the second weekend by winning the NCAA second round. All that is still in play. Stay together and keep working hard.
Old 09-03-2017, 02:59 PM
I Am A Statistical God

They were in because Jordan was having a rough game.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:26 PM

I'm ok with 3-3. Woulda-coulda-shoulda doesn't help anyone. Stay together and keep working hard to get better. We can win every match the rest of the way. Peterson might be out for the season. ( Who knows with a shoulder.) but I think everyone else has a shot to heal and help this team reach its goals.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:29 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Jordan and Bruns both with negative hitting percentages for the weekend. Not going to win many games with that percentage from our OH's.

Need someone to step up and so far its not happening. 10 service errors wont help either.

Westbeld did step up her game from poor showing on Friday.
Old 09-03-2017, 09:37 PM
1st Lieutenant

UDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really nice
If this team had everyone healthy, it's a top 20-25 team, imo. Without 1 starting hitter they're probably still a top 40-45. Without 2, and with virtually no help from the incoming class (unlike previous classes from the last few years), it's more like top 85. Not horrible but need to keep expectations reasonable.

Looked like Tim tried to open the season with a 6-2 and get Brooke's blocking in the front row for 3 rotations. It's always harder to play a 6-2 than a 5-1, and given Brooke hadn't set at all last year, it was a work in progress. So, for now, back to a 5-1. Jane remains a very good, dependable setter.

Expectations were understandably high coming into this year given they lost no seniors. But hearing Jamie isn't coming back this year, Sierra busted something in her hand, Laura's injury, and now Jessica is hurt. All but Laura were expected to be ready for the season opener and then the bottom fell out injury wise.

Bruns can hit and will benefit from the extended playing time. I agree with Becky - the kid will be a good backrow attacker, plus her serve is no joke. Get her some reps and we may have a legit 6-rotation player. Jordan is struggling in the front row but she is a good passer and athlete and this is really her first time being a key part of the offense. Give her a little time. Worst case, she can play back row when Jess gets back.

Sierra is 6'3" and athletic. Look, no one is going to replace Jamie but I think they've got a player in Sierra. Plus Brooke is hitting it hard from the RS and seems to be the choice there, at least to start. Nice to have Sierra there for depth as well as maybe to share swings given neither did much of that for an entire year. Plus have you seen Brooke serve? Kid's got an arm.

And we still have our stud middles, thank God. Need to get a little rust off the timing, including the slide, but this was money last year and will be again this year.

And Margo and Maggie (the M&Ms? ; ) picked up exactly where they left off last year. And both can serve.

Encouraging to see Jessica get a few points in. It bodes well that she isn't looking at a lengthy absence.

We have 8 matches before the A10 season starts. Should be plenty of time for the team to prepare. We probably need to reset our expectations a little bit and hope for a little more luck on the injury front. We all know Tim and staff will try to extract everything they can from this team, and the team is used to working hard and winning. That's all I can ask for.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDVBFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-04-2017), jack72 (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 09:11 AM

I agree the game plan for this season has changed but not the goals. It's all about getting as healthy as we can to win the A10 Tournament and getting into the NCAAs. With our injuries, nothing else really matters to be honest. Not any individual match and not even the regular season A10. All of the remaining regular season matches have one purpose...to help the players that are healthy for that match to get better.

All that said, I'm not disappointed in the fight this team put up against both ISU and Pitt. I thought The ISU match would be a blood bath without Sloan, Peterson and Hubacek and then we didn't have Sierra too. It was not. Both the ISU and Pitt matches were competitive contests. And I agree with Udvbfan above, every player currently on the court is getting valuable experience that should help us down the line. It's the silver lining of the injury crisis.

Our rotation with everyone healthy would probably be the following players:

Jane
Jess
Jamie
Brooke/Lauren
Amber
Kendyll
Margo
Maggie/Laura

The double players noted above would depend on if we played a 6-2 or 5-1. Sierra/Jordan/Olivia would also see some limited time. A third of our rotation was not available to us this past weekend. Two of the four are all-conference players. No other team in the country is playing without that many of their rotation players. Last year SLU was playing without their OH2, a 6 rotation player. They were losing to teams they should have beat. We haven't done that and we've competed in our losses. I'm proud of this program for that. It's not easy to do.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDVBFan (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 11:54 AM
General of the Air Force

That's all fine and good but as I pointed out two of our players who were dependable had bad weekends, we need them along with our middles to win sets.

Yes everyone is getting valueable play time that will play dividends when A10 starts.

Westbeld had a bad Friday but bounced back, Jordan and burns did not. Continued bad play, maybe opposite players were taller this weekend, Pitts freshman Indie is really good.

There is time and TM and staff will right the ship. That's why you play top competition early. My con cern with all these injuries is they seem to be coming during practices.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:56 PM

Avid I thought you knew volleyball better than these posts. You are placing the entire issue on the hitting percentage of 3 OHs. That's not even close to fair. What about Amber and Kendyll? They both hit 100 points less for the weekend than their last year season averages. What about when our block didn't get set and so their hitters had a free shot to the floor and one of our backrow players found a way to get under the ball. But, the pass was bad because it was a miracle the DS/L got to it at all. So Jane had to chase the ball down and try to get it to one of our hitters. But the set was at the 10' line, instead of 2-3 feet off the net. So that gave ISU or Pitts blockers time to get set. Then our OH had to stop or reach back for the ball because the set was 10' off the net and of course the block was waiting, so our OH had to hit it high to avoid the block and resulted in the ball flying long and out, negatively affecting the OHs hitting percentage. All 3 of our OHs had bad hitting percentages for the weekend, so you are laying the losses at their feet with total disreguard for what else was happening on the court that put those hitters in a terrible position to score.

I hope you get the point. The OH hitting percentages represent errors made by a lot of people on the floor. To set the MBs in the middle, the pass has to be good, which usually means the setter can get up a good set. It's why MBs have better hitting percentages, and less swings. They don't get the junk sets. Everything else that happened before they got the ball was done well. OHs get a whole bunch of crap thrown at them because it's the only place the setter can get the ball when things haven't gone well.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (09-04-2017), Glen Clark (09-04-2017)
Old 09-04-2017, 04:51 PM
General of the Air Force

BeckysTXA you are absolutely wrong regarding my knowledge of vball, I know squat, only what others say and what I see which all too often is not what is happening at the time. I am wrong more often on the calls I see if in person or video, do not have a trained eye.

I pointed out what I as a novice saw based on stats as that is what is much discussion on the vball thread seems based on along with figgies stats, so naturally I but a lot of emphasis on stats, till someone like you explains more.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:00 PM
General of the Air Force

To me the proof in the pudding kinda lies in the fact TH pulled those players for Sloan and Lauren H in the 3rd game and as someone else also noted those two were having a bad game. In my mind TH saw the same thing.

I'm just a fan who supports vball and soccer but don't have a clue as to what is really going on. That's why rely on Chris R comments.

Maybe I shouldn't be posting but I thought it was a board for novices as well as experts.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:32 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm with you AF. I don't know diddly about VB, just like to watch the Flyers play. Looking at the injury situation VB seems to be tougher than football.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:00 PM

Avid I didn't respond to your first post because I realize there are all levels of "fan expertise" on this board. But then you doubled down with this post placing way too much "blame" on Lauren and Jordan.

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
That's all fine and good but as I pointed out two of our players who were dependable had bad weekends, we need them along with our middles to win sets.

Westbeld had a bad Friday but bounced back, Jordan and burns did not. Continued bad play...
Lauren Bruns actually showed some very bright spots of improvement. She played all 6 rotations for the first time last week at the D1 level. That is very hard to do. As part of that, she had some good swings from the backrow attack. Being it was her first time around the block on somethings, she made some errors but also showed some nice things. Very promising.

Laura and Jess were subbed in late in the third set for only Jordan. Considering both dressed and warmed up for this match, it was probably planned to get them in for a couple rotations to see how their injuries responded in limited play. If all our OHs are healthy, Jordan, a sophomore, is 5th on the depth chart. She would be who they would sub in for at that point.
Old 09-04-2017, 09:22 PM
1st Lieutenant

UDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really nice
It's ok, AF. The energy on this board for vb is one to be envied by a lot of schools. Better that than crickets, so keep posting and commenting. The part Becky pointed out from your post did also catch my eye, to be honest. More on the '2 of our players who were dependable' than anything. Jordan played only 45 sets last year, mostly in the back row (even there only part-time), had a total of 13 kills and hit .000. She most definitely needs some slack cut.

As for Bruns, there's that saying about lies, **** lies, and statistics. Look, perhaps she had a bad match or two. It happens to us all. I didn't see this weekend's matches but one thing you'll notice is that when a good team can focus their defense on 1 or 2 areas, the hitters are in for a long night. Seems like we're still working on our RS offensive timing and so when the passing is subpar on a serve, the middle attack is likely out so everyone knows where the ball is going - the OH (ie, left side hitter). And when there's no back row attack option, it's even more apparent.

Bruns is a good hitter, the #4 blocker on the team, and is gaining great back row experience. She 'must' develop a solid back row attack to take the pressure off Jess on the OH when sketchy serve-receive happens, and she's on her way. And it's interesting to me that Bruns' stats follow a predictable pattern. Cal-Poly was a solid passing and blocking team, and she struggled a bit. The next 2 teams weren't as good, Jess hitting from the back row was able to make them play a bit more honestly (no cheating to the OH as much), and her stats were awesome. She still hit very solidly against Ohio - very #1 hitter stuff, even though she had to be a bit winded given this was her first 6-rotation match at Dayton. Then the double-whammy happens of 2 good teams, decent-to-good blockers, and no back row attack to pay attention to.

I'm shooting for the Ohio State weekend to gauge the team if the parts are healthy. I wouldn't be surprised to see us go 1-2 that weekend, but if we're able to have some consistency in personnel so we can work on the timing and passing, I also wouldn't be surprised to see 2-1 or 3-0. We beat WKU 2 years ago when we were struggling and then we 'beat' OSU in spring last year. We can do it again, but not with an arm tied behind our backs due to injuries. But regardless of record, this team has already shown a tenacity that will bode well for them this season.
Mad Props to UDVBFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-04-2017)
Old 09-05-2017, 12:21 AM
General of the Air Force

Injuries or no injuries - just pathetic hitting from the pins -

Albarran - negative .227
Bruns - negative .105
Westbeld - negative .267

Blocking was terrible

It was Brown and Erhahon that even kept it close.

We hit .038 for the match. Perhaps Figgie can tell us when the last time we hit so badly .
------------

The above was quoted by UD69 on Fridays game against ISU. No comments from BeckTXA regarding his use of statistics, but I use it and its met with condemnation.

Figgie then responded with the worst hitting percentages ever by a flyer team, again no question of statistics. So why is it a big issue when I use them????? It is what it is and I posted what I saw like others often do.

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 09-05-2017 at 02:19 AM..
Old 09-05-2017, 10:22 AM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Injuries or no injuries - just pathetic hitting from the pins -

Albarran - negative .227
Bruns - negative .105
Westbeld - negative .267

Blocking was terrible

It was Brown and Erhahon that even kept it close.

We hit .038 for the match. Perhaps Figgie can tell us when the last time we hit so badly .
------------

The above was quoted by UD69 on Fridays game against ISU. No comments from BeckTXA regarding his use of statistics, but I use it and its met with condemnation.

Figgie then responded with the worst hitting percentages ever by a flyer team, again no question of statistics. So why is it a big issue when I use them????? It is what it is and I posted what I saw like others often do.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-05-2017, 10:25 AM
1st Lieutenant

I didn't see any of the other posts. My own pushback would be centered on criticizing college kids the same way we would pros. And I'll definitely call out anyone who does that because it's totally inappropriate. Keep that in mind and you'll rarely have a problem, and I'd like to suggest we move forward and not blow this any more out of proportion. Go Flyers!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDVBFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (09-05-2017)