Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-08-2012, 04:17 AM
2nd Lieutenant

SacramentoFlyer is a jewel in the roughSacramentoFlyer is a jewel in the roughSacramentoFlyer is a jewel in the rough
An old-school UD Arena floor in Connecticut?

Hello from Sunny California!

This is a somewhat random post, but hey, it is the off season!

Many people know that the UD Arena hosts the Winterguard International World Championships every year. I am somewhat involved in winterguard here in California and whenever someone finds out that I went to UD, they always gush about the arena. It is a very, very special place to those people (around the world) who are involved in winterguard.

I was unable to attend WGI this year, but a friend told me about one of the shows that had a special UD connection. A winterguard from Connecticut did a tribute show about a guard from about 25 years ago. Every winterguard unit has to have a very large floor (tarp) that covers the entire surface of the court. This guard had a very special floor - does it look familiar? I think it is awesome that a guard from Connecticut would have a floor made to look exactly like the UD court from the past. Pretty cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XuxbO4xaCY

Last edited by SacramentoFlyer; 05-08-2012 at 04:20 AM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SacramentoFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Medford (05-08-2012), UD Sam (05-08-2012), ud69 (05-08-2012), UDEE79 (05-08-2012)
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2012, 08:32 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

AustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of lightAustinFlyer is a glorious beacon of light
I had completely forgotten about this until your post, but sometime in the past year or two I was in Austin wearing a UD shirt when a young lady made a comment to me about Dayton. I asked if she or a family member went there, but she said no, she was at UD Arena recently for winter guard. She also was very complimentary.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:34 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I had no idea about any of that. Thanks.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:44 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
My daughter has been involved in Winterguard for over 10 years, so I catch a lot of the shows at UD. The arena staff does a very good job every year.

I saw the show and was not paying attention when they set up. I did a double take when I saw the tarp showing what looked like the old UD tartan floor. The artwork was pretty cool as the Youtube video shows. All we needed was Ed Young to bank in a shot during their show.

BTW. The show looked better in the actual UD Arena!
Old 05-08-2012, 09:38 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Winter Guard was totally off my radar until my sister was big into it. It turns out that the world championships have quite an economic impact on the Dayton region (estimated at $15M this year). It's pretty cool that these people recognize Dayton as such a significant part of their "sport of the arts," kind of like an ancestral home or something.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/enter...a-1359700.html