UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
2 newest recruits/commits

"The University of Dayton is confident (Brooke) Westbeld and West Liberty-Salem’s Jamie Peterson will help the Flyers maintain their lofty program status. Both seniors have committed to play at UD. A 6-foot-2 setter, Westbeld is Fairmont’s single-season all-time leader in assists and kills (365) and also holds the record for most kills in a match (34).

Peterson, 6-foot-4, should break older sister Becca Peterson’s career kills mark of 1,229 this season. Jamie Peterson was honorable mention Division III All-Ohio as a junior and should be a three-time Ohio Heritage Conference first-team pick at the conclusion of this season."

http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...ondaily_launch (it's behind a paywall so I posted the good stuff)
Bat'71 (09-17-2015), BeckysTXA (09-18-2015), College B-Ball Fan (09-17-2015), jack72 (09-17-2015), NovaFlyer (09-17-2015), UDVBFan (12-19-2015)
Advertisement
Old 09-18-2015, 07:54 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
An athletic 6'+ setter is becoming the "norm" at top-tier programs. At 6'2" this recruit could make a huge impact at the setter position potentially bringing dynamics that UD has never had at that position in terms of net play.

Horsmon demands that his setters move heaven and earth to get to the second-touch on the court -- so setters in his program have to be quick and mobile. And every setter has to be able to "place" the ball. That means putting up the ball for all their hitters the way that maximizes their hitting techniques. That means "placing" the ball at the right height above the net and the right distance from the net and the right area left-to-right across the net. It's not easy because every hitter likes it a little different. Some OHs like it placed closer to the pole on the outside. Other's like it around two feet above the net. Others have a higher touch, so it needs to be 3-4 feet above the net, etc. A good setter has to practice thousands of sets to get this all down for each hitter and setting balls in front of them as well as back-setting balls to the right side. There is a whole lot of skills needed at this position.

With a 6'2" setter -- now you can add a setter who can help you dominate in blocking. At the MB and OH positions -- especially the MB because they are basically involved with all block attempts -- these players spend a lot of time working on their "transition". That means going up for a block (defense). Landing back on the floor. Running to get into position to make your approach for an attack (offense). And swinging at the third-touch if you get set -- "transitioning" between a defensive block to an offensive swing on the third-touch. When you watch a match you will see that a lot of players aren't always "available" to the setter because they didn't complete their transition. It's not easy to get ready for the third-touch again, and again, and again coming off a block.

A setter that can block has to transition even faster because they have to be able to handle the offensive second-touch. In the case of this recruit, she is leading her team in both assists (sets) and in kills. Which means UD's opponents will have to prepare defensively for the potential she would not set the second-touch, but instead swing at the second-touch in an attack. And at 6-2", you would have to assume not all her attacks will be the dump to an open space on the court, but rather a lot of fast swings like a hitter. It's a thing of beauty to watch a setter that can do all these things well, especially the transition between a block and handling the second-touch.

And anytime you can get a 6'4" player it's a very good thing. Looking forward to watching both these recruits in years to come.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-18-2015 at 08:00 AM..
Old 09-18-2015, 08:10 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
My daughter plays against Westbeld on Wednesday so I'll give everyone a full report on Thursday morning.
BeckysTXA (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 01:32 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I did a little research -- and found this article. I'm not a prepvolleyball subscriber -- so I can't confirm this -- but I THINK -- MAYBE???? Brooke is the #23 recruit in the country????? I don't know -- but it looks like it??? I'm going to email a couple friends and try to find out. Even if that is not the case - prepvolleyball is the prep guru website for prep volleyball in the country. The senior aces they publish every year is well respected. They name the Top 100 and then list the next 150 recruits for a Top 250. Many Dayton players have been Top 250 recruits.A few recruits have been tabbed a Top 100. But if Westbeld is #23 -- she will be the highest recruit ever for Dayton coming out of high school. That would be exciting. I'll try to confirm that.

http://elevationvolleyball.com/brook...volleyball-23/

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-18-2015 at 01:49 PM..
Old 09-18-2015, 01:46 PM

Well this is what I get for being on vacation this fall.

I hope you are all sitting down -- because I couldn't believe what I was reading. Didn't take too long to dig into this -- but I am VERY HAPPY to report Dayton does in fact have the #23 ranked recruit arriving in the fall of 2016 -- that being Brooke a 6'2" setter.

But wait....there is MORE.

Dayton also has the #73 ranked recruit arriving in the same class. My guess is this is Jamie as noted above -- but I have not confirmed this. I did find her stats for this season and she is hitting over .500. At 6'4" and that kind of hitting percentage -- I would say she is a MB for her high school team.

THIS IS THE FIRST TIME EVER Dayton has had two Top 100 recruits in the same class and #23 is the highest ranked recruit ever. Both being local recruits is even better and hopefully we will have both for 4 years each in a Dayton uniform. The highest ranked recruit we had in the past was Jessica Yanz who was #25 but we only had her one year as a transfer. Both of these players in the program for 4 years will be golden.

WOW!!! Great job coaching staff. (Thanks rollo for being all over it!)

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 09-18-2015 at 08:25 PM..
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (09-18-2015), Glen Clark (09-19-2015), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-18-2015), NovaFlyer (09-18-2015), rollo (09-18-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 01:56 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Be at the game tonight!
Old 09-18-2015, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
My daughter plays against Westbeld on Wednesday so I'll give everyone a full report on Thursday morning.
Oops...I meant to say Wedn. Oct 7th
Old 09-18-2015, 04:10 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Been a real good last few weeks on the recruiting trail for Horsmon and Jabir. As Tim says, "recruit daily or perish!"

Westbeld chose UD over Virginia:
http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/new...lleybal/nngny/

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Whacker (09-20-2015)
Old 09-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NovaFlyer View Post
Be at the game tonight!
A great match versus Ill St which had won 8 straight. UD 3-1, the final game was a close one.
Old 09-20-2015, 04:06 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Awesome Info! A 6'2" hitter setter ranked in the top 25? Wow! Based on the stats she could play hitter or setter next season, wherever she is needed the most. Of course you expect her to play setter.

And then you add a tremendous 6'4" middle? Great day for the Flyers

This gives the team a lot more options next season. One person said at a recent match "I am wondering about next year".
Old 09-20-2015, 07:01 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
Awesome Info! A 6'2" hitter setter ranked in the top 25? Wow! Based on the stats she could play hitter or setter next season, wherever she is needed the most. Of course you expect her to play setter.

And then you add a tremendous 6'4" middle? Great day for the Flyers

This gives the team a lot more options next season. One person said at a recent match "I am wondering about next year".
Worry no longer
Old 09-22-2015, 07:35 PM
1st Lieutenant

UDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really nice
We always have to worry, at least a little ; )

It's a natural concern with the seniors we'll be losing, and no junior class at all. Alaina is the POY, Jenna is playing very well (MVP of a recent tourney) and a role model for blocking, Jill a very underrated OH (or RS) who I don't think gets her due, and Angel starting and doing very well. Many schools have some seniors who aren't major contributors but we don't have that here.

The bright side? Lots of young experience at key spots. We need more than we have, but it's a decent foundation to build on.

Jane and Megan at setter. Both are getting playing time and TH seems to be developing a little depth at this key spot. Rough first weekend due to a number of factors, but progressing nicely.

Amber in the middle. 'Nuff said. That kid's quickness is off the charts - how often do you hear that said about a middle?

Jess and Lauren at the pins. With the luxury of the senior hitters, neither has been pressed to do too much too soon. Should pay dividends next year for sure, and definite depth in case of injury this year.

Margo and Maggie back row. Margo seems to be the real deal, and Maggie is a solid passer with great hands.

Would be helpful to get in a transfer or two, but with the experienced sophs and other freshman recruits along with what seems to be a great incoming 2016 class, Dayton s/b in good shape for the foreseeable future.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDVBFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-23-2015), Figgie123 (09-23-2015), NovaFlyer (09-22-2015), ud69 (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 10:09 AM

A lot of good points here --

I too think Jill is underrated. I thought she deserved some A-10 recognition at the end of last year. Would like to see her a little more active on the block - but her hitting percentage is very good.

At this point, I'm not sure we will pick up a transfer for next year. We have no current juniors (next year's senior class). So unless we can get someone for one year -- I'm not sure we would want to add to our current sophomore or freshman class. Unless it's someone who is pretty much a guaranteed starter that can upgrade a position, I don't think the odds our in our favor of a transfer next year as we sit today.

But I also think having no seniors next year is a HUGE opportunity because we will have every position returning the following year. I think of the 2010 team -- Dayton's best ever -- and how the vast majority of that team started in 2009. Next year's team (2016) is a talented group of players with the chance to come together, learn how to maximize each player's talent, get a whole bunch of experience with a lot of success, win the A-10, make a run in the NCAAs with the change to advance to the 2nd weekend and set up an even bigger opportunity in 2017 to go deep into the NCAAs.

It's exciting times for Dayton volleyball again and it's going to be fun to see how this year's team competes in the A-10 beginning this weekend. Coming out of non-conference, I think UD, GW and SLU are the teams to watch. As long as we remain healthy, I think UD is the team to beat. We are getting better every week. The area that concerns me the most is blocking, but TH and Staff are working every week to improve by 10%, so I'm confident blocking will be worked on and get better. It's all good.
Old 09-25-2015, 05:52 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
Just noticed that Jamie Peterson of West Liberty Salem was named the MaxPreps AVCA player of the week (9-14-2015) for Ohio. See CBS sports and high school and
volleyball.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDSpud For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-26-2015), College B-Ball Fan (09-26-2015), Glen Clark (09-25-2015)
Old 09-25-2015, 08:21 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I was very impressed with last year's improvement from beginning of the season to the end of the season. I would expect similar improvement this year.

The team is in a very similar situation, probably needs to win the A10 tournament to receive a bid. Maybe if they won every regular season A10 game there would be a chance for an at large bid. Am I being pessimistic?
Old 09-26-2015, 09:44 AM
General of the Air Force

I would also like to tag onto UDVBFAN's comments concerning next year. Jessica is playing much better on offense this year and the plan is that she can be someone who plays every rotation while also being a threat from the back row.

I am also impressed with Lauren's natural ability on offense although I haven't seen her play a lot. She hits the ball at it's peak almost every time and will continue to improve as this season continues. She does need to improve her blocking techniques but that will come with experience

Great additions to the team, now it is time to worry about this season...
Old 09-26-2015, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I was very impressed with last year's improvement from beginning of the season to the end of the season. I would expect similar improvement this year.

The team is in a very similar situation, probably needs to win the A10 tournament to receive a bid. Maybe if they won every regular season A10 game there would be a chance for an at large bid. Am I being pessimistic?

I agree with this on all points. Until the A-10 can garner 3 teams that consistently battle it out and all play in some tough pre-conference tournaments respectfully -- it's tough to get two bids from the NCAAs.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:07 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
Jamie Peterson - V-ball & B-ball

According to Jamie Peterson's Max-Preps volleyball site, her basketball skills seem pretty good also. (just like Megan Campbell - sp?).
Old 10-08-2015, 07:16 AM

So my daughter played against Brooke Westbeld last night and the good news to all UD VB fans is that she is the real deal.

Unfortunately for her, the rest of the Fairmont team isn't, which is why so much is asked of her with respect to setting and kills. Which is a great thing for her development as an all-around player.

Oakwood's tallest front line player is 5'9", so at 6'2", Brook should have had little problem killing the ball. And for the most part she didn't, however she was blocked a number of times, but mostly is was the low set that allowed for the block, not a low hit.

My daughter is a 5'8" freshman and starts at OH. She was intimidated in warm-ups but quickly got into the flow and realized that short freshman aren't going to hit thru tall seniors. So after 2 failed attempts at killing thru Brooke, she began aiming across court or just dinked the ball over/around Brooke...which isn't easy since she is so tall and long. Fairmont won in 4 sets, and it easily could have gone to 5...which doesn't say much for D1/GWOC F'mont but does say a lot about the heart of the Oakwood girls who may lack height, but aren't afraid to leave everything on the floor.

UD found a keeper with Brooke. I don't see her ever setting for UD, but why would you want her to when she has so much to offer above the net?
BeckysTXA (10-08-2015), Figgie123 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:06 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by rollo View Post

UD found a keeper with Brooke. I don't see her ever setting for UD, but why would you want her to when she has so much to offer above the net?
Thanks for the info Rollo! I have watched quite a few high school volleyball matches where a team has one person who can play hitter at the college level and gets 2/3 chances a match to show it.

It depends upon what she wants to do and how good of a setter she is. If she is an elite level setter or can become an elite level setter I would want her setting. Elite setters who are 6'1" are pretty rare. She would be a great threat to attack when setting the ball.

Of course she might not play her final position as a freshman. If the team needs her more as an outside hitter at that time she will play outside hitter. If the team needs her more as a setter she will play setter.

I am guessing that they play a 6/2 offense where she sets from the back row and then hits from the front row.
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:55 AM

Couple more things...Brooke can kill from the 10-foot line just as hard as hard as she does from the net.

She's not afraid to dive or sacrifice her body for a point. You're going to love her hustle!

Finally, for a HS kid she's strong. Development won't be a problem for her and I expect contributions from day 1.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (10-08-2015), jack72 (10-08-2015), UDBrian (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 03:17 PM
General of the Air Force

If she can crush it from the back row I might let her play outside, lol tks for the info
Old 10-08-2015, 05:04 PM

I think the hardest thing to do on a volleyball court is to serve receive and pass the ball to the setter so the setter has to take no more than a step or two.

I think the hardest position to play is setter. They have to do EVERYTHING -- every physical skill on the court. Plus they have to also be able to do all the MENTAL and THINKING elements like reading a defense and making split decisions with precision. The setter is the quarterback -- only they don't get to huddle up and call a play or change a play at the line of scrimmage when they have had 10 seconds to read the defense. A setter has to execute a play in a split second all the while getting under a ball to execute a 2nd touch.

You want the best physical and mental player you can find at this position. It's that important. And for the record -- the best setter in college volleyball in recent years was Micah Hancock for Penn State. Micah was both a hitter and setter in high school. She only set in college. When you are the best athlete on a team in high school, you wear a lot of hats.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (11-24-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 03:01 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
as many of you know, brooke's older sister kathryn plays basketball at notre dame. pretty good genes, i'd say. go flyers!
Mad Props to Columbia Blue For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-23-2015)
Old 11-23-2015, 06:35 PM

Brooke and Jamie Petersen are both playing club for Elevation VBall Club this year. They will play on the same team -- which will be a huge advantage when they arrive on campus in July to start their Flyer careers. Elevation is Margo Wolf's old club -- out of Mason, OH.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (11-24-2015), Glen Clark (11-24-2015)
Old 12-10-2015, 12:16 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
5 new Flyers. Plus, don't forget 6' 5" Brianna Pittman and 6' Brittany Reynolds red-shirted this year.

http://daytonflyers.com/news/2015/12...210154744.aspx

Last edited by ud69; 12-10-2015 at 01:29 PM..
Old 12-10-2015, 01:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Wow! A ton of potential in these recruits. This is probably UD's best recruiting class ever and then you add in two additional incoming players. They appear to be polished beyond simply hitting the ball hard, apparently high volleyball IQs...

The competition for starting positions will be absolutely fierce and it will drive the returning players to work harder.

Jordan Albarran

"Jordan is a dynamic athlete who will compete as a six rotation left-side hitter immediately for us," commented Horsmon. "Jordan is strong and will be a terminal attacker. We're excited Jordan will be playing for one of the best clubs in the country this spring that is entrenched in teaching ball control. We think Jordan will be an outstanding all-around outside hitter here at UD."

Tim is expecting her to obviously come in and compete as an outside hitter next year.

Olivia Dubay

"Olivia is a special athlete," said Horsmon. "Her length and quickness are a perfect combination for success at this level. She is already an elite level blocker, and is only going to become a better attacker with the work she is putting in at T-Street. Already touching 10-4, she has the physical ability and motivation to be one of the best middles in the country."

Another middle with big time potential

Jamie Peterson

"Jamie's physicality and presence in the front row will challenge teams that play us," Horsmon commented. "Jamie is a 6-4 and 10-5 kid that will attack at a very high point and with great range. We're excited to see her transition to a six rotation outside hitter. She has a good feel with her platform and could be a great fit in our system, also attacking out of the back row for us. Jamie's versatility allows her to play all three front row positions."

Potential to be similar to Rachel Krabacher?

Sierra Pla

"Sierra is ultra-competitive and will help us both in the middle and right side," Horsmon said. "Sierra is a long and dynamic slide attacker. She will be a great fit in our program and is very focused and mature. She possesses the qualities to be a great leader and I think she will continue to grow each year she is at Dayton."

Probably right side next year?

Brook Westbeld

"Brooke is just an "all-around" great volleyball player," reflected Horsmon. "She could be an all-conference setter, opposite, or outside hitter at UD. She has an outstanding volleyball IQ and demeanor. Brooke's physicality and skill set will immediately translate to this level and helping us make the move to playing with the best programs in the country."

She could play anywhere but I still believe Tim is expecting her to compete for the starting setter position next year. A tall setter who can be a good blocker is a big plus. She also seems to have great hands although anyone can deliver a few sets on a highlight reel. I doubt it is a fluke when she is a top 25 recruit

Tim and his staff have to be VERY excited
Old 12-10-2015, 01:44 PM
Captain

Team roster count for 2016

I count 13 non-seniors of the Dayton Flyers.com - Volleyball - roster plus the five new early freshmen. Does an 18 count mean someone is leaving or going off active roster?

Glad to see some OH & MB as Dayton graduates about 2/3rds of this season's kills.
Old 12-10-2015, 02:09 PM
General of the Air Force

There is no limit to the number of players you can have on the roster, some of them may not be on academic scholarship. There are times when a school might provide scholarships for some years while playing, but not for every year.

Beckystxa knows far more than I do on how these 'partial' scholarships work
Old 12-10-2015, 06:56 PM

The NCAA allows for 12 Full student-athlete scholarships for volleyball and Dayton fills all those scholarships. I'm pretty sure you can NOT split these. (i.e. 10 full and 4 half spread over 14 players would be a violations -- I think.)

But the university also has high academic scholarships, so a player could be awarded one of these -- if they have great GPAs, etc. And I don't know this for sure, but as far as academic scholarships go, I don't believe there are any restrictions for any school -- so they could technically be full-rides or any combination of partial. Like I said -- I don't really know the academic scholarship restrictions -- but I don't think there are any. Who is the governing body to regulate it???? If anyone knows any more details here -- please jump in.

I think we had 18 players on the roster this year too. It's a full squad and like UDBrian stated -- competition will be at an all-time high for playing time. This is by far our best recruiting class ever. We've never had 2 Top 100 -- and another one int he Top 125 is icing on the cake. In addition to the other members o this class, Dayton should receive national recognition for this class.

The previous best recruiting class was the 2007 freshman class of Tiff Gaerke, Yvonne Marten, Rachel Broerman, Becky Novacek and the late Kaci Hausfeld. Chris tagged them the FLYER FIVE. I do not remember where they were ranked on the top recruiting class list -- maybe Chris has that????

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 12-11-2015 at 04:30 PM..
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (12-11-2015)
Old 01-09-2016, 02:04 PM
Captain

Jamie Peterson - Max-Preps awards.

I just noticed that Jamie Peterson was named to Max Preps 2015 high school All-American girls volleyball second team ( therefore in top 35 or so ). She was also first team on the Max Preps small school AA team.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDSpud For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-27-2016), Glen Clark (01-10-2016), UDVBFan (01-12-2016)
Old 03-08-2016, 01:08 AM

ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Peterson First team All-Ohio - in hoops

Chosen as first team D-III was Jamie Peterson of West Liberty-Salem. The 6-foot-4 senior averaged 19.1 points and led the Tigers (23-4) to the Ohio Heritage Conference title and the D-III regional semifinals. She signed with the University of Dayton to play volleyball.
Old 04-26-2016, 07:38 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
Jamie just played in the north-south basketball game in Columbus. I think she scored 15 points. There were two other girls who scored more on her team. I saw was coming to Dayton. I had no idea it was for volleyball. The basketball team could use that height too.

I am glad to see she is so athletic and talented. Should help us in volleyball moving forward in being a top flight program. Excited to come see some games this year.

I wish they would do something to mix volleyball and football games apart from each other so I could go to both. Being from Columbus it is hard to see many volleyball games.

Go Flyers!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Cardsflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (04-27-2016), BeckysTXA (04-27-2016), NovaFlyer (04-26-2016)
Old 05-06-2016, 03:26 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
I admittedly don't follow volleyball recruiting at all, but stumbled across this while searching for basketball news:

Molly Asmus from Michigan class of 2018 committed to UD just a bit ago.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Mollz_A/s...60605024886784

http://www.maxpreps.com/m/career/gen...rls,volleyball
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-10-2016), ud69 (05-10-2016)
Old 05-10-2016, 06:49 PM

I am trying to put together a scholarship/player tree for volleyball - realizing VB is a head count sport and there are only 12 scholarships available for 12 players. Some of these obviously are not on scholarship. Help me out please if I missed anybody.

Added Molly Asmus, removed Brittany Reynolds, who red-shirted last year but is not listed on current roster

Class of 2013(2017 graduates) - Nobody

Class of 2014(2018 graduates) - Jane Emmenecker, Amber Erhahon, Megan Giardina, Laura Hubacek, Maggie Schutter, Jessica Sloan

Class of 2015(2019 graduates) - Kendyll Brown, Margo Wolf, Lauren Bruns

Class of 2016(2020 graduates) - Jordan Albarran, Sarah Blowers, Julie Brown, Olivia Dubay, Jamie Peterson, Sierra Pia, Brianna Pittman(red-shirt), Brooke Westbeld

Class of 2017(2021 graduates) - Emily Broerman(verbal), Maria Schorr(verbal)

Class of 2018(2022 graduates) - Molly Asmus(verbal), Maura Collins(verbal), Allison Papesh(verbal)
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-11-2016), NovaFlyer (05-10-2016), udisit19 (05-11-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 08:29 AM

Molly is an MB. I could only find an older news clip that had her listed as 6'1" so that may or may not be current. I can't remember the last player we had from Michigan. May not have been one ever??? So I certainly like expanding the recruiting territory. And with 3 -2018 recruits we are way ahead of the recruiting timeline. Great job by the coaching staff.
Old 05-11-2016, 01:49 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
Molly is an MB. I could only find an older news clip that had her listed as 6'1" so that may or may not be current. I can't remember the last player we had from Michigan. May not have been one ever??? So I certainly like expanding the recruiting territory. And with 3 -2018 recruits we are way ahead of the recruiting timeline. Great job by the coaching staff.
I think Lindsay Fletemier was from Garden City Michigan. That's the only player I can think of, but she was a pretty important player for the Flyers.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-12-2016), jack72 (05-12-2016)
Old 05-11-2016, 11:52 PM
1st Lieutenant

UDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really nice
There was a Michigan recruit who played recently at Dayton and did ok. Alaina Turner. : )
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDVBFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-12-2016), Glen Clark (06-23-2016), jack72 (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 07:50 AM

Ok you get into your 50s and your memory just doesn't work some days. So true confessions... Alaina is a distant relative of mine. Yikes. And of course Lindsay played with my niece at UD. Double yikes. I should have remembered BOTH were from Michigan and I simply did not. Thanks for setting the record straight.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (05-12-2016), rollo (05-12-2016), UDVBFan (05-12-2016)
Old 05-12-2016, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
Ok you get into your 50s and your memory just doesn't work some days. So true confessions... Alaina is a distant relative of mine. Yikes. And of course Lindsay played with my niece at UD. Double yikes. I should have remembered BOTH were from Michigan and I simply did not. Thanks for setting the record straight.
BeckysTXA (05-12-2016), UDVBFan (05-12-2016)
Old 08-06-2016, 09:49 PM

Newest Recruit - Bridget Doherty

Added Bridget Doherty (2017)
Removed Sarah Blowers (2016)

https://twitter.com/bridgedoh

Class of 2013(2017 graduates) - Nobody

Class of 2014(2018 graduates) - Jane Emmenecker, Amber Erhahon, Megan Giardina, Laura Hubacek, Maggie Schutter, Jessica Sloan

Class of 2015(2019 graduates) - Kendyll Brown, Margo Wolf, Lauren Bruns

Class of 2016(2020 graduates) - Jordan Albarran, Julie Brown, Olivia Dubay, Jamie Peterson, Sierra Pia, Brianna Pittman(red-shirt), Brooke Westbeld

Class of 2017(2021 graduates) - Emily Broerman(verbal), Maria Schorr(verbal), Bridget Doherty(verbal)

Class of 2018(2022 graduates) - Molly Asmus(verbal), Maura Collins(verbal), Allison Papesh(verbal)
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (08-07-2016), San Diego Flyer (11-20-2016)
Old 08-07-2016, 08:24 AM

Bridget is a 5'10" Setter/Opposite from Overland Park, KS. She goes to Saint Thomas Aquinas high school and Dynasty VB Club. I don't know anything about this club, but she played for their 17 Black team which would be the clubs best 17 team. Congrats and welcome Bridget.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 08-07-2016 at 08:28 AM..
Old 11-19-2016, 11:22 PM

2017 verbal commit Maria Schorr, a setter, helped her #4 ranked (in Indiana) Indianapolis Cathedral team to a repeat state title a couple of weeks ago. They beat #1 ranked Crown Point in the title game - a team they lost to earlier in the year.

http://www.ihsaa.org/dnn/Sports/Girl...1/Default.aspx
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-20-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-20-2016), NovaFlyer (11-20-2016)
Old 11-20-2016, 06:36 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
At today's match met mother daughter who committed to dayton. Setter from south county Missouri, 5 10 Sandt. Presently a sophomore