Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-12-2016, 10:36 AM
1st Lieutenant

NYFLYERFAN is on a distinguished road
Where are the fans?

Any ideas on what the administration can do to fill up Welcome Stadium with students?maybe a Thursday night game during the season or some kind of promotional incentive. Football program is a good product and wish there was more support.
Halftime Beer Pong...Anything!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Advertisement
Old 09-12-2016, 10:51 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
It's not hard.

Originally Posted by NYFLYERFAN View Post
Any ideas on what the administration can do to fill up Welcome Stadium with students?maybe a Thursday night game during the season or some kind of promotional incentive. Football program is a good product and wish there was more support.
Halftime Beer Pong...Anything!!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Half a century ago Villanova gave away FB tickets at a local Phila grocery chain for every $20 order, or something like that. Philly's Municipal Stadium was packed with 50,000, or so, fans, me included.

UD could use Krogers and experiment like this. Give away 5000 TX to determine the percentage used. Maybe it's 10%, i.e., 500 attendees. Next time raise the number to 10,000. The idea is to get a reliable number for the percentage of TX used. Perhaps UD finds that if it gives away 20,000 for each game it can count on 3000-4000 being used.

This ain't rocket science. Season TX holders have to be accommodated in some special way, e.g., voucher for $10 free concessions for each game...or special improved seating...something.

Again, this ain't rocket science.

Welcome Stadium with 8000+ fans in the seats would be a very nice environment. UD just doesn't seem to want to be bothered, or they just don't care. I think they owe it to the players, season TX holders, etc., to work this issue.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:10 AM

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
Season TX holders have to be accommodated in some special way, e.g., voucher for $10 free concessions for each game...or special improved seating...something.
Regarding accommodating season ticket holders...the Bengals have upset a season ticket holder that I am friends with...the Bengals drastically reduced the walk-up? price of tickets to pre-season games, while making season ticket holders pay full price.

Also, in the past, regular season single game tickets have been significantly discounted, while, again, making season ticket holders pay full price.

The season ticket holders should be accommodated somehow.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-12-2016), jaburr91 (09-12-2016)
Old 09-12-2016, 12:21 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Easy

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Regarding accommodating season ticket holders...the Bengals have upset a season ticket holder that I am friends with...the Bengals drastically reduced the walk-up? price of tickets to pre-season games, while making season ticket holders pay full price.

Also, in the past, regular season single game tickets have been significantly discounted, while, again, making season ticket holders pay full price.

The season ticket holders should be accommodated somehow.
Satisfying season TX holders would be easy. The cost of two season TX must be quite low as is. Parking, concessions, seat location....special treatment options abound. UD can do it...they have to "want" to do it...UD has to care.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 09-13-2016, 08:19 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Thursday night games are a good idea. Not many UD students will attend when they can hang in their dorm, porch or ghetto house and watch Ohio State, Notre Dame or fill in the blank....
Old 09-13-2016, 08:25 AM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Might be a good question for the Coach at the next Flyers Club gathering. Agree, we should have many more fans in the seats than the paltry 2500 that showed at the RM game. Also, few students, ugh. Come out and support your classmates.

Like the Kroger tix idea, worth a try.
Old 09-19-2016, 11:10 AM
2nd Lieutenant

SacramentoFlyer is a jewel in the roughSacramentoFlyer is a jewel in the roughSacramentoFlyer is a jewel in the rough
UD has a football team? What!?! I kid, I kid (slightly)

I love all things UD and love college football, but have never really followed UD football. When I was at UD, I think I went to a total of 3 games: once for parents weekend, once for homecoming when it was a massive tailgating party, and once because my friend designed the show for the marching band.

I'll be blunt - the game day experience sucks. It's far from campus, the stadium is awful, and the seats are far from the field. If UD truly wants football to prosper, they need to find a way to bring it back on campus, have an initimate stadium, allow tailgating, and make it an event that students (and alumni & community members) want to attend.
Mad Props to SacramentoFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (04-12-2017)
Old 09-19-2016, 11:20 AM

All true, but,...

Originally Posted by SacramentoFlyer View Post
UD has a football team? What!?! I kid, I kid (slightly)

I love all things UD and love college football, but have never really followed UD football. When I was at UD, I think I went to a total of 3 games: once for parents weekend, once for homecoming when it was a massive tailgating party, and once because my friend designed the show for the marching band.

I'll be blunt - the game day experience sucks. It's far from campus, the stadium is awful, and the seats are far from the field. If UD truly wants football to prosper, they need to find a way to bring it back on campus, have an initimate stadium, allow tailgating, and make it an event that students (and alumni & community members) want to attend.
Take a look at an aerial view of campus. Then try to figure out where you'd put a homey, attractive stadium. And the cost? Fairfielc U. recently built a stadium of a type we're looking for.....very nice,...seats 3500...cost $11 million. That's not out of the question; but it's a lot of money.

And the interest may not be there. UD draws about 2500 at home....there were ~ 900 at the Duquesne game. If UD and MVC were to join forces with the Fairgrounds developer...that may make sense. A stadium would fit at the corner of S. Main and Stewart. That's much closer to campus. Not likely, though.

UD needs a former player with deep pockets who's willing and able to kick in a few million, like $5 million, to pay for close to half the cost. UD has a very good Ivy-like football program. A stadium having the properties you describe would be a nice addition for the program and the campus.

Last edited by UACFlyer; 09-19-2016 at 11:41 AM..
Old 09-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
UAC....
There were a hell of a lot more people at the Duquesne game than 900. I commented in the Duquesne thread about the inaccuracy of the stated attendance. I have a picture but I can't seem to get into this text box

Regarding the on-campus stadium, my boy (now a Junior) was told when he was recruited that Dayton would move football to Baujan Field making more room for the conversion by demolishing the Music Building (obviously not going to happen by the time he graduates). People have commented that you couldn't fit football there. After seeing Duqesne's complex, I can certainly see a football field at Baujan. Duquesne's field was intimate (my wife would dump her French fries in the stands and Chambo would be close enough grab a few off the ground and not worry about going over the five second rule).

I would shudder to think what type of tailgating would go on if you played football right next to the ghetto.

Last edited by NEOFlyer; 09-19-2016 at 12:34 PM..
Mad Props to NEOFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-20-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 12:39 PM

Soccer is an issue...

Originally Posted by NEOFlyer View Post
UAC....
There were a hell of a lot more people at the Duquesne game than 900. I commented in the Duquesne thread about the inaccuracy of the stated attendance. I have a picture but I can't seem to get into this text box

Regarding the on-campus stadium, my boy (now a Junior) was told when he was recruited that Dayton would move football to Baujan Field making more room for the conversion by demolishing the Music Building (obviously not going to happen by the time he graduates). People have commented that you couldn't fit football there. After seeing Duqesne's complex, I can certainly see a football field at Baujan. Duquesne's field was intimate (my wife would dump her French fries in the stands and Chambo would be close enough grab a few off the ground and not worry about going over the five second rule).

I would shudder to think what type of tailgating would go on itandf you played football right next to the ghetto.
There are plans to demolish the Music Bldg. But, as I understand it, soccer and FB are not compatible. And soccer is one of UD's few "strategic" sports. Soccer will not be sacrificed for FB...and there is a parking issue. Chris may comment on the matter.

I'm not sure UD has its act together...consider women's lacrosse.
Old 09-19-2016, 12:51 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
UAC.. Believe me, I understand the situation. A guy can dream, can't he?

I think Welcome is a major drawback to football at Dayton. I was lucky enough to see a number of stadiums when my son was being recruited and I thought Welcome was at the bottom of the list. Thankfully, Dayton has a lot more to offer
Mad Props to NEOFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (04-12-2017)
Old 09-19-2016, 01:45 PM
1st Lieutenant

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2016, 01:48 PM
1st Lieutenant

I think Welcome could be viable. University needs to do a better job of marketing the football program. Columbia in NYC plays 5 miles from campus and attendance struggled but they are selling the program, do their walk throughs on campus quad to get demonstrators... I mean students interested. Time for UD to make lemonade out of lemons. Go Flyers!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-19-2016, 01:52 PM
2nd Lieutenant

SacramentoFlyer is a jewel in the roughSacramentoFlyer is a jewel in the roughSacramentoFlyer is a jewel in the rough
Oh - one quick thing! I hope my response doesn't come across as demeaning to any players or anyone connected to the team - my comments were more directed at the administration.
Old 09-19-2016, 02:05 PM

Welcome

UAC.. Believe me, I understand the situation. A guy can dream, can't he?

I think Welcome is a major drawback to football at Dayton. I was lucky enough to see a number of stadiums when my son was being recruited and I thought Welcome was at the bottom of the list. Thankfully, Dayton has a lot more to offer
I think Welcome could be viable. University needs to do a better job of marketing the football program. Columbia in NYC plays 5 miles from campus and attendance struggled but they are selling the program, do their walk throughs on campus quad to get demonstrators... I mean students interested. Time for UD to make lemonade out of lemons. Go Flyers!!
Posted via Mobile Device
NEO, what was so good about the other stadiums you visited such that WS is at the bottom? Access and parking are very good. The surface is good. Seating is typical. It's true that a stadium with a track puts the fans farther away from the action. But it seems likely that if UD built a new stadium they would want a track.

A complication, of course, is that UF does not own WS...so UD investment is unlikely.

Back to UD. I think that it's way past time that Neil puts forth at least a tentative plan for Baujan, post Music Bldg, lacrosse, FB, etc. If if the plan is labeled as no more than a "thinking" plan, highly preliminary, etc., at least it gives the Faithful something to chew on. Indeed, it might shake some money loose from a wealthy donor.

Re the latter point, I can think of two instances in which very wealthy donors came up with $100 million and $20 million for projects they hadn't even thought of until they heard about them. Now that's serious money. But, UD has 100,000+ grads out there. We know that some are able to give millions, and have. I know a guy in development at URI. He told me that they have no idea which of their alums has serious money...they just have to keep shaking the bushes, explaining their plans, etc., and donors come forth and surpise them, saying that they were attracted by a "plan".
Old 09-19-2016, 05:18 PM
Captain

UAC. In regards to Welcome, yes the parking, highway access, and convenience cannot get much better. It is, however, a high school stadium with little or no character. The main locker room doubles as a media room during basketball season (the lockers have casters on them to move out of the locker room when needed).

Similar FCS schools that I have seen or toured have been Butler, Bucknell, Holy Cross, Brown, and Duquesne. They all have some drawbacks, but I guess the biggest thing is you know you are on a college campus when you are at these stadiums. There was just a different 'vibe' to them. I would trade the parking convenience for a better atmosphere any time.

Don't get me wrong, my son absolutely loves Dayton and he doesn't regret his decision one bit. I love Dayton too. I almost wish I had discovered it when I was leaving high school. HMMM... Maybe I should consider going back to school like Frank the Tank.

Go Flyers!! Let's beat whatever the heck a Terero is!!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NEOFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-20-2016), PittsburghFlyer (09-19-2016), UACFlyer (09-19-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 05:42 PM

The 'U"

UAC. In regards to Welcome, yes the parking, highway access, and convenience cannot get much better. It is, however, a high school stadium with little or no character. The main locker room doubles as a media room during basketball season (the lockers have casters on them to move out of the locker room when needed).

Similar FCS schools that I have seen or toured have been Butler, Bucknell, Holy Cross, Brown, and Duquesne. They all have some drawbacks, but I guess the biggest thing is you know you are on a college campus when you are at these stadiums. There was just a different 'vibe' to them. I would trade the parking convenience for a better atmosphere any time.

Don't get me wrong, my son absolutely loves Dayton and he doesn't regret his decision one bit. I love Dayton too. I almost wish I had discovered it when I was leaving high school. HMMM... Maybe I should consider going back to school like Frank the Tank.

Go Flyers!! Let's beat whatever the heck a Terero is!!
NEO, everything you've said UD's athletics administration is aware of. Yet, they don't seem to have anything in mind to improve the situation. My guess is that they have pretty strict financial limitations for essentially a non-revenue sport.....probably limiting the annual expense to a million, or so.

The fact that they described a Baujan plan when recruiting your son indicates that a few years ago there was a plan. Something seems to have changed since there has been no talk re a Baujan renovation or about women's LAX for quite some time.

Chris, what do you think?
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-20-2016)
Old 09-19-2016, 05:51 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
. It is, however, a high school stadium with little or no character. !!
Go to the local high school football message board, especially when tournament time comes, and you will not hear a single person say they like Welcome as a high school stadium either. At least 5 high schools in Montgomery County, plus Springboro, Troy, Sidney and Piqua all have much better stadiums than Welcome.

Oh, and lets not even discuss concessions when compared with other local stadiums.
Old 09-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Just off the Jet

UD Step-Dad will become famous soon enoughUD Step-Dad will become famous soon enough
I will forever owe the University of Dayton a debt of gratitude (not to mention $$$) for the outstanding education and college experience that they have provided my step-son. That being said my kid is a 5th year senior on the football team and I am glad for his college career to be coming to a close. The University's lack of commitment to the football program, in my opinion, is an insult to all of the hard-working young men who are involved in the program. Their lack of commitment comes through nowhere more than Welcome Stadium....after watching last weeks game at Duquesne it is obvious that a small stadium/field on the campus would be a FAR IMPROVEMENT over Welcome Stadium. I know that costs are an issues but I also know that the University is not hurting for $$$. Dayton has a proud football history and the school should make a better effort to embrace it not treat the program like step-children (pardon the pun).

Last edited by UD Step-Dad; 09-20-2016 at 10:31 AM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD Step-Dad For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (09-20-2016), NEOFlyer (09-20-2016), PittsburghFlyer (09-20-2016), rollo (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 11:09 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I have heard the Baujan field plans as well, probably 1st heard about it around the same time that NEO's son was being recruited, it came from someone about as connected as you can get in the UD football program (actually I'm not sure you can get any more connected) so I take it that the plans were indeed very serious. Why they have not transpired I do not know, but I'll endeavor to find out. I think moving football back to campus would help not only the football program, but I think it would help make the campus feel a little more connected on Saturdays in the fall.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
NEOFlyer (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 11:25 AM
Just off the Jet

AndersonTwpFlyer is on a distinguished road
I have chimed into this before and do not want to beat this dead horse to death again (see Welcome Stadium thread) BUT!

1, Several Schools have started new football programs all across the county so the sport must show value/return
2, The founding Fathers at UD put Baujan at the heart of campus for a reason
3 Do not build it too small to be able to take advantage of the changing landscape of NCAA football and attract home game with larger schools.
Mad Props to AndersonTwpFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
NEOFlyer (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 11:33 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
We all know that men's BB drives the bus. Earlier in the year there was a survey concerning a potential up-grade to UD arena for the Season Ticket Folks to make their thought known about what to do or enhance the Arena 'experience'.

With the recent success of said men's BB and the possibility of spending some untold amount of money (most likely a few million $$) I think what ever plans were thought about a football facility was placed aside.

Take fore instance the recent up-grade to the women's VB facility was basically done with the large gift from the Hausfeld family.

Probably would not get done without that $1.2 million or so.

Maybe someone connected to the FB program from some time ago with bags of money can get the discussion on facility for FB going!

PS Not connected to the FB program nor have I got bags of money! Sorry
Old 09-20-2016, 12:29 PM

Need an authoritative update...

It's time for Chris to get some facts.

For a while there was quite a bit of talk about removing the music building, starting a women's LAX program, possibly a new FB stadium. But, for the past few years...nothing but silence.

There must be a reason(s). Could be as simple as insufficient funds with no pathway to solve the problem. OK, grown ups understand such things. But, after all the preliminary talk of a few years ago.....years of silence without explanation is not really acceptable.
Old 09-20-2016, 12:55 PM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
My son's playing days are over, but ever since I joined this board over six years ago, this has become a yearly discussion. If you ever wanted to waste a few hours, one could go back through the threads and read every opinion, thought, suggestion, and supposed facts regarding this issue. Bottom line is the FB program is non-revenue generating according to "those in the know", unless you count $50k/year x 105 players, which is why it get's no momentum. There's been talk about famous alumni (coaches, talk show host) etc. donating large sums of cash. Evidently these are internet rumors only. I finally gave up knowing, like many of you have or will, that your son will be gone before any shovel of dirt is moved. That's likely even if it was approved to build today. Take the program for what it's worth. The kids to get to travel to great places via planes instead of busing 10 hours to some places. They get to see the country and us as parents get a lot of mini vacations about five times a year. I've been to places I never heard of nor would have gone without UD football. Enjoy the ride and stay thirsty....
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Always Proud For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (09-21-2016), NovaFlyer (10-03-2016), Showme Flyer (09-20-2016), UDBrian (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 04:45 PM
1st Lieutenant

When my son was being recruited last year a couple of coaches mentioned the return to Bajuan. Coaches also said you might see it by the time you graduate but more than likely you won't. With that being said the focus should be to try to put more asses in the seats. It's a good product, a good tailgate venue so university and Football staff should try to make the most out of the current situation, and come up with ideas to promote which would only enhance recruiting. Good luck to Flyers out on the coast this weekend. Game being streamed??
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-20-2016, 05:04 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Creativity and variety are needed

1. Always look at the Ohio State schedule and plan around it whenever possible.

2. Thursday night games- whoever said it, great idea for a couple games per year. Combine the game with other events. Talk to local chamber of commerce, BBB, civic groups, etc about group outings, combined with Food truck rally, live band and beer garden from 4 PM to game time at 730, get radio stations to do live remotes or something different, anything beats nothing.

3. Cross market with other sports, mainly mens basketball. Attend the UD mens basketball scrimmage or first game or two of the year at noon get a ticket for free admission and half price hot dog and beverage for the 230 football game. Yes, I know all about the parking issues. Find a way to get it done to park in the park behind the stadium

4. Look at some of the crazy things the Dragons do to get kids interested and butts in the seats. Starts with concessions that don't suck with long lines and employees in concession stand at Welcome who do not give a ****.

5. Are promotions done with local youth programs and high schools? Get the Pee Wee kids out on a Thursday night. Hit up the high school and junior highs for the Saturday PM games after they have their Saturday morning JV games.

6. Halloween themed event, for both kids and adults, before a late October game

Last edited by ClaytonFlyerFan; 09-20-2016 at 05:06 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
NovaFlyer (10-03-2016), UDBrian (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 06:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I don't think that UD really markets their sporting events. I like ClaytonFlyer's ideas and others. I like the food truck idea. Making it known that there is a pre game cookout for a charge would also help. Having kids line up for a high five before the game as the volleyball team does might be fun for kids. Maybe a pre game contest of cornhole for free nachos or picture with your favorite player after the game

I wonder what it would take to have a brainstorming event with the marketing rep and football interface.

There are other options such as coupon books for things to do in Dayton. There is an online list of things to do in dayton which is where each sporting event should be listed.

Maybe one of the local news stations could be interested in a 30-60 second weekly segment of things going on at UD where a student or two could get some practice for their major in communications. Or the students could be student athletes
Old 09-20-2016, 06:55 PM
1st Lieutenant

Great ideas Clayton and viable. I pushed the Thursday night game. Maybe one during the year same with a Saturday 7pm kick off. Like the food trucks and love the Beer Garden. Go Flyers
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to NYFLYERFAN For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (09-20-2016)
Old 09-20-2016, 07:02 PM

Mike Kelly

Mike Kelly is Mr. FB at UD and he holds an important administrative position in the athletics department. Why isn't he into this a bit more? A goal is to improve UD FB and the fan experience...but that does not seem to be a UD goal.
Old 09-20-2016, 07:42 PM
1st Lieutenant

Let's try to get Mike Kelly on board. You never know!! Go Flyers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2016, 09:12 AM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Mike Kelly is into it, trust me, he's into it.
Old 09-21-2016, 09:34 AM

MK

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Mike Kelly is into it, trust me, he's into it.
Then why isn't anything happening?
Old 09-21-2016, 10:13 AM
Captain

See... there is proof that a football field will fit in the space. Granted, it's almost 100 years ago.

http://www.fieldtripper.com/c/MdPV4M0VsNU=/
Old 09-21-2016, 11:30 AM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I agree coach kelly would be the one to get involved. If you could convince him that there were ideas which could be easily implemented he could help champion the cause.
Old 09-21-2016, 12:25 PM
Just off the Jet

AndersonTwpFlyer is on a distinguished road
It is great to see the interest on this Board to help a deserving program with attendance but a few ideas that has been floated are non-starters.

Thursday night games will never happen due to the fact that the visiting team will not travel to play here on a Thursday.

The reason there are not more night games is because it would cause the visiting team to remain in Dayton a extra day ( add another night in Hotel cost ). Mid-Day Saturday games allows for a Friday night stay and quick exit!

Untill our student body starts to feel like the football game is the place to be it will be a struggle. Playing at Baujan will go a long way
Old 09-21-2016, 03:50 PM
General of the Air Force

I think there was talk at one time of the football team sharing baujan with the soccer teams but it was decided that it would tear up the field too much.

I think the only way the football team plays at Baujan is if a new soccer stadium is built. There was a lot of money invested to create a new practice facility for soccer. If enough money became available to build a soccer stadium then there would be a football stadium that could be within walking distance.

I have heard that there was more interest when UD's football program was Div III. They were always in the running to win a national championship so every game was very important. And I think there were also playoff games at UD. Someone more familiar might be able to provide more info.

Obviously if the team played on campus it eliminates the hassle of walking to the game which is what many do when attending men's bball games
Old 09-21-2016, 04:23 PM
1st Lieutenant

Anderson, good points with travel arrangements. What if a somewhat local team like a Butler (2 hours) or maybe MSU on a Thursday. More importantly is getting students excited to go to games. Maybe football program can use an intern or three from UD marketing program
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-21-2016, 04:54 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I think there was talk at one time of the football team sharing baujan with the soccer teams but it was decided that it would tear up the field too much.

I think the only way the football team plays at Baujan is if a new soccer stadium is built. There was a lot of money invested to create a new practice facility for soccer. If enough money became available to build a soccer stadium then there would be a football stadium that could be within walking distance.

I have heard that there was more interest when UD's football program was Div III. They were always in the running to win a national championship so every game was very important. And I think there were also playoff games at UD. Someone more familiar might be able to provide more info.

Obviously if the team played on campus it eliminates the hassle of walking to the game which is what many do when attending men's bball games
Attended some playoff games in the 80's. Remember stopping Augustana's long winning streak. Also recall we went 0-2 against Mount Union. They have been strong for a very long time.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (09-25-2016)
Old 09-24-2016, 11:39 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Lets be honest, the administration is not into promoting their sports programs. One idea I had kept asking the admins and coaches is why do they always schedule games at the same time. Doesn't anyone in the front offices get it that a fan cannot attend a soccer match and volleyball match when they are scheduled at the same time.

Only recently did I observe a schedule genius but doubt UD had anything to do with it. The womens soccer team and the volleyball team both played Xavier on the same night. The Xavier Dayton soccer game was played two hours ahead of the volleyball game so that fans of both X and Dayton could take in both games. My bet is X was the one who pushed for that schedule.

Most times soccer games and vball games are scheduled at the same time on the same nights. Red scare gets diluted when they have to attend two events scheduled at the same date and time. Dividing Red Scare reduces its punch and impact.

BTW their is a move underway to move the womens soccer games to Thursday and Sunday opening up the Friday/Saturday vball matches.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (09-25-2016)
Old 09-25-2016, 09:54 AM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Perhaps we could learn from SDU. I see they had 2119 brave souls that endured the harsh weather conditions San Diego is famous for, to watch probably the best matchup of the year, with the winner having the inside track to the playoffs.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:57 PM
1st Lieutenant

Don't know how well they draw or what the size of their student body is but one thing is for certain...there's a hell of a lot to do in San Diego. Maybe if this game was later in season it's possible they would draw better. Still think UD should be able to pull in 1500 students to fill Dayton side of a Welcome. Let's now focus on Drake!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-25-2016, 03:29 PM
Lieutenant General

Don't know how well they draw or what the size of their student body is but one thing is for certain...there's a hell of a lot to do in San Diego. Maybe if this game was later in season it's possible they would draw better. Still think UD should be able to pull in 1500 students to fill Dayton side of a Welcome. Let's now focus on Drake!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Agree, I think some of the ideas expressed here have merit and could help increase attendance. however given the lack of student support for the on campus events, and their track record of so-so support for the men's BB team most of the time, it will be really hard to increase the student turnout for football. Vastly different atmosphere than back in the day. Still worth the effort but an uphill climb.

Last edited by UD62; 09-25-2016 at 06:11 PM..
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
NovaFlyer (10-03-2016)
Old 10-03-2016, 06:38 AM
1st Lieutenant

Spoke with some students this past weekend after game, crowd seemed a bit larger than the announced 2500. Students idea was making football a Path Point Event. Apparently certain events such as guest lectures , concerts etc are Path Point events. At end of year students can use their Path Points for priority housing etc the following year. If admin could make football a Path Point event it would draw more students then it's a matter of keeping their interest through tailgate activities.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to NYFLYERFAN For This Totally Excellent Post:
Showme Flyer (10-03-2016)
Old 04-09-2017, 12:12 PM
General

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
I have heard the Baujan field plans as well, probably 1st heard about it around the same time that NEO's son was being recruited, it came from someone about as connected as you can get in the UD football program (actually I'm not sure you can get any more connected) so I take it that the plans were indeed very serious. Why they have not transpired I do not know, but I'll endeavor to find out. I think moving football back to campus would help not only the football program, but I think it would help make the campus feel a little more connected on Saturdays in the fall.
So I finally had the chance to talk about this friday evening. What I was told, was the issue w/ Baujan was a "large" storm drain line running under the site that was going to be very expensive to alter in order to get the site to work for their football plans, so the idea has been essentially "tabled" for the time being. Doesn't sound like good news for the short term, but perhaps at some point if they have to address the storm line for other reasons, it may allow football to move there, or perhaps they'll find the funding to make it happen. No indication if this will be brought back up in the near future or not.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (04-12-2017), Flyer Gramps (04-11-2017), NEOFlyer (04-10-2017), PIONEER 8 (04-11-2017)