User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-21-2016, 11:32 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Premier Team Sport

Congrats to these women! This program is at the level of a Premier Team second to none within the U of Dayton athletic department. Coupled with the culture and history it has generated the program should entertain the thought of being a revenue generating sport it at all possible.

Any thoughts on this? Pro's? Con's?
Advertisement
Old 11-21-2016, 11:57 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
I'm not sure I would start have volleyball start charging admission for everyone just yet. I definitely think the free admission has created fairly big crowds. And those big, loud, and increasingly knowledgeable crowds have helped to cheer the team to success and help bring in good coaches and good recruits. Starting to charge admission needs to be done carefully, and I like how Dayton has started to do that. It sounds like they have started to charge for some of the best seats. It's a great way to find out how many people are willing to pay to attend UDVB.

Attendence at the end of the season was still kinda low. Attendance at the VCU match on the last game of the season was under 700 for a team ranked 22nd in the country. I looked and Dayton has had attendance around 1,500 for few matches in 2010. The opportunity seems to be there, I think Dayton needs to capitalize on it next year when they return almost everyone from this year. They need to get that message out. I think the more people they can get into Frericks, the more those new fans will realize how great Frericks is and how great the volleyball program is.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
NovaFlyer (11-21-2016), UACFlyer (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 12:05 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Minimal student attendance as the season moved on. Red Scare was Red Scarce.
Lack of an intense rivalry, like we had in the past with X.
Virtually no mention in the Dayton media, print or verbal, about this team and it's success.
Seems like little interest by the HS's in the area to come see college competition.

Same issues as football, BTW.

Need to keep supporting basketball since it pays for virtually everything else.
Mad Props to NovaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
udisit19 (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 12:12 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by udisit19 View Post
Attendance at the VCU match on the last game of the season was under 700 for a team ranked 22nd in the country.
There was a woman's basketball game going on at the same time.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-21-2016), NovaFlyer (11-21-2016), udisit19 (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 12:23 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
And the fri night match was scheduled against MBB opening night and Steve's tribute 15 minutes before tip-off.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-21-2016), Figgie123 (11-21-2016), NovaFlyer (11-21-2016), udisit19 (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 12:35 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I looked this up a couple weeks ago. 2010 average was around 1200. This year looks to be around 800. I expect we will get back to 1200 and maybe more in the next 2-3 years. We will have a better schedule with bigger draw matches. We will be ranked all year, just like 2010.

As far as charging admission, you aren't going to change parents and family & friends. You aren't going to charge students and the band or cheerleaders. That's a big percentage of the attendance. Im inclined to think if you can raise the paying pool to 800-1000, then a $5 ticket might be worth exploring in addition to the donor reserved seating. We just aren't there yet.

But the best part of this thread is we are having this discussion at all. The players, coaches and staff are moving this program forward if we are having this discussion. Congrats!
Old 11-21-2016, 12:43 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by NovaFlyer View Post
Minimal student attendance as the season moved on. Red Scare was Red Scarce.
Lack of an intense rivalry, like we had in the past with X.
Virtually no mention in the Dayton media, print or verbal, about this team and it's success.
Seems like little interest by the HS's in the area to come see college competition.

Same issues as football, BTW.

Need to keep supporting basketball since it pays for virtually everything else.

The lack of an intense rivalry is definitely a problem. Dayton volleyball needs another team to create games that are "must see" games. Dayton and SLU used to be that. Dayton vs. Xavier used to be that. A Dayton vs. Xavier match was the first thing that brought me to Dayton volleyball, so a lack of a rivalry is a serious issue. Xavier fans made the trip to that game and the atmosphere was amazing, the A-10 just doesn't have that right now.

Dayton needs at least one other team to be a national player. Since Dayton always plays SLU twice each year, and always gets a home game against SLU, the bilikens would be the best candidate to be that rival. VCU is big state school and they have a young program. They could be a likely candidate as well, but the lack of having that home match every year could limit how strong this rivalry could be. Hopefully, the perceived strength of VCU sports in general based on their men's basketball success could lift their perception in volleyball as well among the casual volleyball fans.

Last edited by udisit19; 11-21-2016 at 12:47 PM..
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-21-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 01:52 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
On a side note here, since I would love to be in the Big East for the great volleyball match ups, it looks like the Big East might only get one team in this year - Creighton - unless someone else wins the conf tourney and that would help us if it was X. If that conference only gets one in it will be shocking.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
SacramentoFlyer (11-22-2016)
Old 11-21-2016, 02:08 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
On a side note here, since I would love to be in the Big East for the great volleyball match ups, it looks like the Big East might only get one team in this year - Creighton - unless someone else wins the conf tourney and that would help us if it was X. If that conference only gets one in it will be shocking.
I'm guessing Marquette gets a nod. They are in the high 30 area RPI wise. Beat X and lose to Creighton should be fine. Maybe if they lose to X in the first round they could be on the bubble, but they have 5 top 50 wins, so I don't see them being snubbed.
Old 11-24-2016, 07:58 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
A one game rivalry (i.e. an X factor) would not produce a larger group of people to generate an impact to steady revenue however it might slightly generate interest to bump up the crowd in later games on the schedule.

In order to have any hope in a paying crowd coming to these games the U would need to produce a presence in the local media to generate that interest for people to come out.

It's a work in process if the U wants this to happen.
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
I'm guessing Marquette gets a nod. They are in the high 30 area RPI wise. Beat X and lose to Creighton should be fine. Maybe if they lose to X in the first round they could be on the bubble, but they have 5 top 50 wins, so I don't see them being snubbed.
I saw the 5 top 50 wins. When I posted this their rpi was mid 40s. If they are better than 40 on selection Sunday, I agree they get in.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:27 AM

For the programs that lead the attendance numbers, there is a common theme, those programs reached out to the retirement community to sell season ticket to that demographic. It's a great entertainment value for this demographic that are looking for things to do. They usually have a reception before the season so they can meet the players and the older fans basically bond or inherit the players almost like grandkids. This demographic is the first stage of growth. They mix in with the students, parents, family and some alums and community fans. I estimate you can increase attendance 50-100% with this demographic alone. The second phase would be to go to the corporate community next. The retirement demographic takes the game day experience to a higher level because there are way more butts in seats when a corporate demo is introduced to the game, and with the new seating and video scoreboard, we are talking about a whole new level. UD could get there, but I agree it will take someone working in the community.

As far as media is concerned, a couple years ago there was a woman covering the team. I think she did it for 2-3 years and it was during the 2010 season. I don't think she was an employee of the DDN. I think she was a freelance writer. My guess is she has moved on. I was a print journalism major, so I know there is an opportunity if a student wanted to get some articles published. It would also be a great opportunity for UDs journalism department to set up a program with local media to have students back feed coverage in an intern environment. There could be 3-4 interns a year covering the non-revenue sports and submitting both game coverage and feature working with local media. It would be a win-win-win. The student. The newspaper/tv/radio media. UDs journalism department. Major selling point for future students if you provide an outlet for a student to get published at a real newspaper, etc, while they are still in school.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-24-2016)
Old 11-24-2016, 10:54 AM
1st Lieutenant

UDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really niceUDVBFan is just really nice
BeckysTXA, I think you could do the DDN articles single-handedly. : ) I read sports stories literally every day for events in the US and around the globe. I enjoy your insights and passion about UD VB more than all but a handful of articles each week.

The thoughts around building the VB-watching community back up seem pretty spot on to me.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDVBFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (11-24-2016), SacramentoFlyer (11-26-2016)