UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-07-2017, 03:51 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Off Season Moves

RI's head coach retired so they are looking for a new coach. Dayton is replacing Audrey who is getting married, so we will have a new Assistant Coach. Those are the only two coaching moves I currently know about.

Player-wise, Bri Pittman has left the team and Dayton is looking for a transfer player - either an OH or MB.

SLU is looking for a transfer Setter or OH. They could use a taller setter. They use two setters this past season to start the year and then settled for one of those two. But both were under 5'9".

VCU is looking for a setter transfer. They have had a lot of player turnover the last 3 years or so.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (01-07-2017), UDBrian (01-08-2017), udisit19 (01-11-2017)
Advertisement
Old 01-10-2017, 10:37 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Just when I thought this off season was going to be pretty calm, John Dunning, HC of National Champions Stanford, retires. If they promote from within it won't cause too much shifting of coaches. If they bring someone in from the outside, there will be a domino effect in the coaching ranks. There could be some huge jobs opening up. I'm confident it won't affect Dayton, but it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 01-10-2017 at 01:15 PM..
Old 01-21-2017, 07:29 PM

LaSalle recruit - they have a 5'10" OH coming next year that was just named the PA Gadorade POY. That's a great recruit for LaSalle. Players name is Sam Graver.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (01-22-2017)
Old 01-22-2017, 02:39 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
LaSalle recruit - they have a 5'10" OH coming next year that was just named the PA Gadorade POY. That's a great recruit for LaSalle. Players name is Sam Graver.
Thanks Becky!
Yeah this will be a good addition to La Salle's team. They got what looks like a really good player from just up the road. Says she played at Parkland High School which would be right near Lehigh and rival Lafayette. Any time you steal a recruit from a local rival is good. Their Freshman OH, Devin Corah, was only 5'9", so you would have to imagine an award winning player with an extra inch could be just as good or better. She might have to wait her turn with both Corah and SR Bryanna Davis both consistent OH all last year. Maybe she will take some swings as a RS or play in the back row at least.

Looks like La Salle also has a 6'2" freshman MB, Reilly Lowe, in this recruiting class from Kentucky.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (01-23-2017)
Old 01-30-2017, 05:40 PM

Stanford hires Kevin Hamby, ILLHead coach. So we now have a BIG10 opening. Creighton HC Booth might be the leading candidate along with DII HC at Concordia in MN. He's won a ton of DII Championships.

Horsmon might get a call, but I think he's not going anywhere. Been there, done that.

Also, Iowa State and Marquette coach probably in the running. Maybe the MI State assistant coach.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:43 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
So you are telling me this coaching carousel is going be spinning for a while???

We might not find out who Rhode Island hires for a while. Uggghhhh!
Old 02-01-2017, 08:37 AM

I was surprised RI didn't even post this opening until 1-26-17. It closes on 2-8-17. Usually schools post immediately when they know they are having an opening. Maybe there was also an opening in their athletic administration, so they filled it first? I have no idea. But it looks like it might be a while unless they already know who they want and are just fulfilling the requirements to post the opening???
Old 02-01-2017, 08:45 AM

Stanford hires Kevin Hamby, ILLHead coach. So we now have a BIG10 opening. Creighton HC Booth might be the leading candidate along with DII HC at Concordia in MN. He's won a ton of DII Championships.

Horsmon might get a call, but I think he's not going anywhere. Been there, done that.

Also, Iowa State and Marquette coach probably in the running. Maybe the MI State assistant coach.
I read the Stanford announcement and learned Hambly lead the nation in blocks as a player at BYU. I remember going to ILL to play an NCAA match several years ago and it was their block that got the best of us. It all makes more sense now. LOL
Old 02-01-2017, 12:39 PM

I bet Kent Miller at SLU applies for the ILL head coaching job. He was a highly thought of assistant at ILL before taking the SLU job. He just hasn't been that successful at SLU. He's been dealt some bad hands starting with an alumni getting shot and killed during the preseason alumni match weekend. And plenty of injuries each year. But he was very well liked at ILL.

Anne Kordes might also go back to SLU if it opened up.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 02-01-2017 at 12:41 PM..
Old 02-04-2017, 10:17 AM

Read this on another message board from an person who watched some matches at the Great Lakes power league up in Chicago. Great Lakes is the volleyball facility that Sports Performance Volletball Club plays out of. We have had several players from SPVC.

UNO girls 17 - has a very nice setter in Sarah Nahas (LaSalle) who has a very good pair of pins (OHs) to feed in Rachel Perinar (TN) and Ali Papesh (Dayton).

Great job Ali! And another LaSalle recruit - this time a setter - looks to be a player. LaSalle bringing in some talent. So good for the A10.
Old 02-08-2017, 06:20 PM

SLU picks up an OH transfer from Pacific. 5'10" Sien Gallop. I think she will be a sophomore but I don't know anything about her.
Old 02-09-2017, 05:24 PM

Illinois has 9 freshmen coming this fall. With the head coaching change I wonder if any are opening up their recruiting. UD was looking for an OH or MB transfer. I wonder if there is any opportunity with any of these players?
Old 02-18-2017, 11:10 AM

Rhode Island HC job posting is closed. Should have an announcement soon. They have an associate head coach that has been there 12 years. He also is recruiting coordinator. I would be surprised if he isn't the leading candidate.

The following schools also have assistant coach openings:

Fordham
Davidson
George Mason
George Washington

Glad UD locked in its new assistant fast, and she was a great player at NE and has played pro overseas. Girls are looking to play pro these days so being recruited by someone who has done it would be very attractive.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:58 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Rhode Island HC job posting is closed. Should have an announcement soon. They have an associate head coach that has been there 12 years. He also is recruiting coordinator. I would be surprised if he isn't the leading candidate.

The following schools also have assistant coach openings:

Fordham
Davidson
George Mason
George Washington

Glad UD locked in its new assistant fast, and she was a great player at NE and has played pro overseas. Girls are looking to play pro these days so being recruited by someone who has done it would be very attractive.
Thought she played 4 years at Penn State
Old 02-18-2017, 02:40 PM

Brain freeze on my part. PSU is correct. She was at Louisville last year and became available when Louisville hired a former NE player as their new head coach. I just wasn't thinking when I typed NE.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:37 AM
Colonel

The Rhode Island head coaching job has been given to former Rhode Island Associate Head Coach/Recruiting Coordinator, Steve Santonataso.

http://gorhody.com/sports/w-volley/2...20170322kxs8w7

He is a Rhode Island guy. He graduated from Rhode Island in 1993 and has been part of the staff for the last 12 seasons. The last nine of those season he has been the Associate Head Coach.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-23-2017), BeckysTXA (03-24-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 01:45 PM
Colonel

BIG NEWS out of Washington DC!!!

http://www.gwsports.com/sports/w-vol...052417aaa.html

Amanda Ault resigns due to personal reasons. They need to find a new head coach right at the end of May less than 3 months from the start of next season. I was starting to think she might be on the hot seat after a monumental decline from 2015 to 2016, but I was not expecting this. I though a coaching change was probably still at least a couple years away and she had plenty of time to turn things around. Instead, it sounds like she decided to leave on her own terms and for reasons with nothing to do with volleyball. Although, the timing does make it feel like the school may have asked her to step down even if there isn't any proof that happened.

The defense was the big problem last year. Stats clearly show the defense was a problem and it has become a bigger problem as players not recruited by Ault have graduated. I'm not sure if lopsided issues like a strong offense and no defense can get solved within the organization, so it might be a blessing for GW that they get to try again. I hope GW looks for and finds a more well rounded head coach capable of teaching both sides of the game. GW has had success, so I know they can do it again. They are always an important piece of a strong A-10. The location in the nations capital and the strong academic program should always make this program attractive to local and international talent.

Last edited by udisit19; 05-31-2017 at 01:54 PM..
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (06-02-2017)
Old 06-16-2017, 10:20 AM
Colonel

George Mason has hired a new head coach after former head coach Jackie Simpson-Kerr resigned in late April after only two years.

Simpson-Kerr Steps Down
http://gomason.com/news/2017/4/24/wo...ead-coach.aspx

The new head coach will be Aylene Ilkson. She spent last year as the Director of Volleyball Operations for UNC.

Aylene Ilkson Named Head Coach
http://gomason.com/news/2017/6/5/ayl...all-coach.aspx

There sure is a lot of head coaching movement this year. Rhode Island, GW, and George Mason all hire new coaches. George Mason has been much worse in there last five years compared to their last 10 years. GM has a 10 yr RPI average of 214.60 but a 5 yr RPI average of 265.20. Just like with GW, we probably will not know the real reason for the resignation, but you would have to believe a part of it is the disappointing place this program is in. Aylene Ilkson inherits a fairly strong defense, but graduates their most potent offensive weapon of 2016, Tiffany Clarke (H% 0.257). Ilkson will need to lead the Patriots during a year where their peers La Salle and Fordham return almost every player from 2016.
Old 07-23-2017, 10:01 AM
Colonel

GW has hired a new coach. http://www.gwsports.com/sports/w-vol...070517aaa.html They selected Sarah Bernson, the former assistant at American. American university is just up the road from GW, so this is not a big move for Sarah. She come with experience from a great volleyball program. American is almost always the champion of the Patriot League. If you remember, Dayton and American met in the 1st round of the NCAA tournament back in 2014. Sarah Berson was the assistant coach for that match.

VCU has picked up another recruit late in the summer. They picked up Latvian standout, Paula Neciporuka. (Becky - you will like how she excels in beach volleyball). The write says she is ready to contribute now. It says she has experience with defense and attack, but at 5'8" she sounds a little undersized for an OH. But I would imagine she could be a strong DS if she can serve and provide an attacking mentality from the back row. VCU should have a good team this year and this addition should help them with their challenging schedule.
http://www.vcuathletics.com/sports/w...20170710i9e9ht
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-23-2017, 11:20 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Hoping for a great team this year, I need a big boost.
Mad Props to NovaFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (07-24-2017)
Old 07-24-2017, 09:11 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
Lots to be hopeful for this year. A lot of good pieces in place. Excited to watch it get started.
Mad Props to keats '91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (07-29-2017)
Old 07-29-2017, 10:33 AM
Colonel

Sahbria McLetchie has transferred from VCU to Rutgers. This was posted on her instagram. I'm pretty sure VCU's colors are not red and white.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BWv6tLPAQax/?hl=en

VCU lets another good player/coach leave.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2017, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by udisit19 View Post
George Mason has hired a new head coach after former head coach Jackie Simpson-Kerr resigned in late April after only two years.

Simpson-Kerr Steps Down
http://gomason.com/news/2017/4/24/wo...ead-coach.aspx

The new head coach will be Aylene Ilkson. She spent last year as the Director of Volleyball Operations for UNC.

Aylene Ilkson Named Head Coach
http://gomason.com/news/2017/6/5/ayl...all-coach.aspx

There sure is a lot of head coaching movement this year. Rhode Island, GW, and George Mason all hire new coaches. George Mason has been much worse in there last five years compared to their last 10 years. GM has a 10 yr RPI average of 214.60 but a 5 yr RPI average of 265.20. Just like with GW, we probably will not know the real reason for the resignation, but you would have to believe a part of it is the disappointing place this program is in. Aylene Ilkson inherits a fairly strong defense, but graduates their most potent offensive weapon of 2016, Tiffany Clarke (H% 0.257). Ilkson will need to lead the Patriots during a year where their peers La Salle and Fordham return almost every player from 2016.
I'm in agreement that Mason is probably sliding to the bottom. LaSalle is headed up the ranks and Fordham has shown they too want to improve their program. I haven't seen that push from Mason, but maybe a new coach will turn it around.

As far a VCU is concerned, I'm not a fan f their AD and the coach he brought in. The player turnover in that program is a red flag. I want to believe volleyball is still about the players and not advancing a coaches career. I know it's moving towards a cut-throat business of win or suffer the consequences for coaches. Just hate what that does to players who work hard to get better but get tossed aside if the coach has a better option come along. It is what it is, but I don't have to like it. VCUs coach has tossed out a lot of players.
Old 07-29-2017, 05:52 PM

Also should note SLU has two new assistant coaches this season. Their assistants last year had been on staff for 2-5 years. Ben Spurlock was there for 5 years and returned to OSU to take the women's team assistant coaching position. That was a good move for him. I don't know where the woman assistant moved to.