User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-15-2018, 11:23 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
In Defense of AG

Figured a new thread was easier than responding to multiple with the same post.

First - yes, I see the irony in the thread title since our defense is not very good (239th according to KenPom).

Second - No, I am not happy with how the season has gone. I had hopes things would turn out differently, but certainly didn't expect it.

The VCU games are, for me, a perfect example of how this season has gone. In the first VCU game we looked unbeatable. By anyone. It was a thing of beauty. And suddenly all the AG haters had nothing to say. AG had magically learned to coach overnight. Then, weeks later, in the next VCU game we are down by a million and AG is a terrible coach again. But wait! Here comes the comeback and AG is a great coach again.

The truth is, AG is not setup for success this season. He is dealing with a lack of experience that is incredibly hard to overcome. Only 7 teams returned fewer minutes than we did from last season: Kentucky, Pitt, Austin Peay, Robert Morris, Iowa State, James Madison, and Chattanooga. Of the 8 teams (including us), only 2 of them have a better conference record than last year (Austin Peay and Robert Morris).

Kentucky, even with all the 5 star recruits, has won 46% of their conference games compared to 89% last year. Pitt has somehow found a way to drop from their 22% last year. They are at 0%. 0% is lower than everything. Iowa State dropped from 67% to 52%. James Madison from 39% to 31%.

Chattanooga has a hauntingly similar story to us. In addition to returning very few minutes from the year before, they also lost their coach. And with that they also lost a key recruit (Crutcher). Their conference win % dropped from 56% to 21%. We have dropped from 75% to 39%.

The moral of this story is that when you return fewer minutes than 339 teams, change your coach, and lose 2 recruits, you are going to have a rough year. Regardless of who your coach is.

Is AG the guy? I'm not betting the farm on it, but I hope so. I know he can recruit and you can compete in the A10 on that alone. I can't stop anyone from being anti-AG - and I'm not in the business of telling people what to say. But I'm giving him time.

*On a side note - I know I live in MN and said I wouldn't "bet the farm". I don't actually live on a farm. We have real houses here too!

Last edited by MNFats; 02-15-2018 at 11:48 AM..
26 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (02-15-2018), Bonziflyer (02-15-2018), bp (02-16-2018), ChampCar (02-16-2018), chicago92 (02-15-2018), Cityengr (02-15-2018), ClaytonFlyerFan (02-15-2018), cobra8u (02-15-2018), CvilleFlyer (02-15-2018), DaytonDecibelDungeon (02-16-2018), Donniex3Era (02-15-2018), Flyer14 (02-15-2018), jabo911 (02-15-2018), longtimefan67 (02-15-2018), Monster Man (02-15-2018), Radar (02-15-2018), Ready Action (02-16-2018), rollo (02-15-2018), ruechalgrin (02-16-2018), runnerup (02-15-2018), SeasonTicketFan (02-15-2018), SLUFLYER (02-16-2018), TXFlyerFan (02-15-2018), UD62 (02-15-2018), UDGutter2 (02-15-2018), wes (02-16-2018)
Advertisement
Old 02-15-2018, 09:23 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Good read.

I applaud your data that basically supports what every astute UDPrider has come to understand, and even post, since early summer. The fix has been on since the fab 4 graduated. We are woefully short of good players, and post season play would make Grant COY in my book. Of course if you had published your research last summer, you likely would have been hammered for being too negative.

We have a nice nucleus of returning starters for next year, + Cohill who can fill in for DD.
Lots of positives that support the notion that we should be better.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-16-2018), UDGutter2 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 10:34 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I’ve had a chance to see the game plans that AG and his staff put together for several A10 opponents. Each game plan identified strengths and weaknesses of the opposition. I saw some excellent plans put in place. I saw issues big time with execution on the floor. That comes with a young and inexperienced team.

I saw the prepariation for Rhode Island. The problem was that Rhode Island was too experienced and talented. Good game plan, but just overmatched.

Against VCU game 1, Duquesne game 2 and St. Bonaventure the team really executed the game plan well. The turnaround in the Duquesne games was excellent.

I’ve heard Anthony talk about his issues. The bench has been so erratic that making substitutions has been a crap shoot. Most nights, the bench is awful which makes coaching difficult. The defense has been horrible.

I can tell you that Anthony has been besides himself about the defense since the beginning. The play less zone now and the defense is more physical, but the lack of progress has really disturbed the coach.

I am confused by the timeout strategies. No coach is perfect. Archie had quirks too.

For me, the makeup of this team does not give any good ideas as to the quality of Anthony as a coach. I think a few posters expected him to turn water into wine.

When I see the prep work, I know the coach can scout and prep for opponents.

Last edited by SeasonTicketFan; 02-15-2018 at 11:04 PM..
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CvilleFlyer (02-15-2018), Flyer 86 (02-16-2018), MNFats (02-16-2018), ruechalgrin (02-16-2018), TXFlyerFan (02-15-2018), UD62 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 03:03 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,887 Times in 644 Posts
dnutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond reputednutz77 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
I’ve had a chance to see the game plans that AG and his staff put together for several A10 opponents. Each game plan identified strengths and weaknesses of the opposition. I saw some excellent plans put in place. I saw issues big time with execution on the floor. That comes with a young and inexperienced team.

I saw the prepariation for Rhode Island. The problem was that Rhode Island was too experienced and talented. Good game plan, but just overmatched.

Against VCU game 1, Duquesne game 2 and St. Bonaventure the team really executed the game plan well. The turnaround in the Duquesne games was excellent.

I’ve heard Anthony talk about his issues. The bench has been so erratic that making substitutions has been a crap shoot. Most nights, the bench is awful which makes coaching difficult. The defense has been horrible.

I can tell you that Anthony has been besides himself about the defense since the beginning. The play less zone now and the defense is more physical, but the lack of progress has really disturbed the coach.

I am confused by the timeout strategies. No coach is perfect. Archie had quirks too.

For me, the makeup of this team does not give any good ideas as to the quality of Anthony as a coach. I think a few posters expected him to turn water into wine.

The other issue is that when you have a lack of depth, there is no one to push the starters to play better. The starters know that they don't necessarily have to play balls to the walls because, unfortunately, there are no better options. When AG has a chance to build some depth, I imagine the intensity on both ends of the floor (especially on defense) will elevate quickly. We've seen AG try to discipline with game minutes, but the reality is (again) that UD just doesn't have the horses to push each other.

Gonna take several years (REGARDLESS of the coach) to build depth and hopefully surpass the success of the previous regime. Based on history, AG is obviously an excellent defensive coach. I highly doubt that he forgot how to coach defense. By year 3, I imagine that UD will be on the verge of becoming a stout defensive team.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to dnutz77 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (02-16-2018), Ready Action (02-16-2018), UDGutter2 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 09:47 AM
Just off the Jet

PFlyer will become famous soon enoughPFlyer will become famous soon enough
excellent propaganda, gentlemen
Mad Props to PFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Phi Psi Flyer '09 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:40 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by MNFats View Post
Figured a new thread was easier than responding to multiple with the same post.

First - yes, I see the irony in the thread title since our defense is not very good (239th according to KenPom).

Second - No, I am not happy with how the season has gone. I had hopes things would turn out differently, but certainly didn't expect it.

The VCU games are, for me, a perfect example of how this season has gone. In the first VCU game we looked unbeatable. By anyone. It was a thing of beauty. And suddenly all the AG haters had nothing to say. AG had magically learned to coach overnight. Then, weeks later, in the next VCU game we are down by a million and AG is a terrible coach again. But wait! Here comes the comeback and AG is a great coach again.

The truth is, AG is not setup for success this season. He is dealing with a lack of experience that is incredibly hard to overcome. Only 7 teams returned fewer minutes than we did from last season: Kentucky, Pitt, Austin Peay, Robert Morris, Iowa State, James Madison, and Chattanooga. Of the 8 teams (including us), only 2 of them have a better conference record than last year (Austin Peay and Robert Morris).

Kentucky, even with all the 5 star recruits, has won 46% of their conference games compared to 89% last year. Pitt has somehow found a way to drop from their 22% last year. They are at 0%. 0% is lower than everything. Iowa State dropped from 67% to 52%. James Madison from 39% to 31%.

Chattanooga has a hauntingly similar story to us. In addition to returning very few minutes from the year before, they also lost their coach. And with that they also lost a key recruit (Crutcher). Their conference win % dropped from 56% to 21%. We have dropped from 75% to 39%.

The moral of this story is that when you return fewer minutes than 339 teams, change your coach, and lose 2 recruits, you are going to have a rough year. Regardless of who your coach is.

Is AG the guy? I'm not betting the farm on it, but I hope so. I know he can recruit and you can compete in the A10 on that alone. I can't stop anyone from being anti-AG - and I'm not in the business of telling people what to say. But I'm giving him time.

*On a side note - I know I live in MN and said I wouldn't "bet the farm". I don't actually live on a farm. We have real houses here too!
I love it. It's sound, rational and offers supporting data to come to your conclusion/opinion. And it's presented in way too much of a politically correct manner for the haters and malcontents of this board to have any kind rebuttal.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:50 AM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post

This is the BEST Summary of it all. It's hard to tell his true quality and worth, because he doesnt' have enough players. Game planning is on point. The guys just can't execute it, consistently.

It's on the players really.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MNFats (02-16-2018), San Diego Flyer (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 AM
Just off the Jet

PFlyer will become famous soon enoughPFlyer will become famous soon enough
What are you talking about? Now we're saying that his gameplans have been excellent? Is this a joke? Give me a break.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to PFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
bcross (02-16-2018), Phi Psi Flyer '09 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 12:27 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Very Few Flyer Fans

knew just how bad this year's UD Flyer team was. But the ESPN B.P.I (Basketball Power Index) had UD pegged correctly from the start. UD is currently #148. A retrospective look at their games to date indicates they have produced four upset wins as an underdog over Georgia State, St Bonaventure, VCU and Davidson. Likewise they have suffered four upset losses against Duquesne, UMASS both home and away and George Mason. Other than that they have performed according to their ability. By UD standards and expectations this year is
a miserable under-performing year. But their BPI ranking indicates they are what they are. Dayton is a bad basketball team that plays terrible defense and turns the ball over frequently. They have scored more points than many UD teams but not enough to make up for the points they give up with porous defense. While the players, coaches and fans hope they
get "better" that goal has proved elusive for this year's team. The Freshmen have developed nicely in terms of skills but they have not been introduced to the habits necessary to win important games. The leaders of this team have failed to show the way.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:50 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by PFlyer View Post
excellent propaganda, gentlemen
Well...THAT is a stellar, well thought out response!

Typical. I think some posters are behaving like little children who will hold their breath until they are blue in the face in response to something they don't like. Like adolescents, who will not respond to reason, they let their emotions rule the day and wail even louder when confronted with reality.

The reality (repeated for the 1000th time): this team starts two FR backcourt players, a player who played less than two complete games last year, a SR who has never been more than a complementary player, and a JR who missed most of last season. The bench is non existent due to injuries, death, bone headed activities during the off season, grades, Freshmen, and two Jr's--one of whom has been injured part of the year and the other a favorite target of most of the board over the past two years

They'll continue to whine. I'd like to see just one post a thoughtful action plan as to how they would have made this season anything but marginally better.

Put it out there and maybe I'll act childish in my response so you can see how you have been reacting. That said, I really won't need to because it will be SOOO easy to pick apart your plan with facts. As Clint once said: " Go ahead, make my day"
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (02-16-2018), Monster Man (02-16-2018), Sid Louick (02-16-2018)
Old 02-16-2018, 01:01 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
What are you talking about? Now we're saying that his gameplans have been excellent? Is this a joke? Give me a break.
Says someone whose top understanding of basketball is that the ball makes a sound when it hits the court..
Old 02-16-2018, 03:40 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Have you seen his game plans? I’ve seen some of the strategies.

Rhode Island is going to overplay you here, so you roll this way. I saw the adjustments made before the Duquesne game. I saw that they Rhode Island got away with whatever they wanted, UD like every A10 team has been unable to counter the strengths of Rhode Island.

In the Duquesne game, UD adjusted from what hurt them in the first loss. The players executed. Anthony is not an inept CYO coach. He is smart man and his stafff is smart. He has tried a lot of things to ignite the team.

Is he perfect as a coach? Will he win in the long run? Don’t know. I do know, no coach would be successful in the long run if their teams looked like this one every year.