Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Senior Rachael Broerman
Senior Rachael Broerman
UDBrian
Published by UDBrian
11-13-2010
Senior Rachael Broerman

DAYTON (OH) -- What comes to mind when you think of senior volleyball player Rachael Broerman? Even though she is the shortest player on the floor I think of someone who is physically and mentally fearless. Rachael expects to succeed at everything she does. Besides crashing into poles and scoreboards my most vivid memory of Rachael is her serving two huge aces against St Louis in the 2009 A10 tournament. UD lost the first two sets to tournament favorite St Louis. UD fought to win set three and then set four. Rachael came in to serve with UD up 6-3 in the fifth set. She served two aces at this point and the second one hit the tape and trickled over. The match was all but clinched after those serves. And Rachael characteristically showed quite a bit of emotion.

Coach Sheffield said: Racheal is Driven, confident, mature. "She is going to have a career in Medicine, but she has the people skills, intelligence, and drive that would have her be a leader in just about any field that she decided to go into. A great example for our younger players on how to go about things on a daily basis."

The players obviously see characteristics of each other that the coach might not see. Here are comments from alumni players and current players on what they think of first concerning Rachael:

Ball of energy
Intense
Hardest worker on the team
Tough
Made everything fun
Not afraid of anything
Great leader
Great advice and actions to back it up
Doesn't just talk the talk, she walks the talk
Recovered from two knee surgeries and a broken back
Really welcoming to new players

When asked what her UD volleyball experience has meant to her on and off the court Rachael said:

"It is hard to sum up what my experience here at UD has meant to me in just a sentence or two because it has been such a major part of my life. On the court UD volleyball has allowed me to compete and excel at something I love day in and day out. There are thousands of athletes out there who's career ends with high school, but playing for UD has given me the opportunity for four more years of that adrenaline rush you feel after a big game or tough day at practice."

"Off the court UD volleyball has allowed me to meet some of my best friends and its given me the mentality that I can push through anything to reach my goals."

When asked how she has changed since arriving at UD:

"Since arriving at UD I have changed in just the mere fact that I have matured and grown-up. Coming in as a little 18 year old with no clue, the UD community has helped shape me into the person I am proud to be today. Being here and being a full-time student-athlete has allowed me to build in confidence and perseverance".

I asked Rachael's mother Vicki a couple of questions concerning Rachael's time at UD. Even though Vicki attends a lot of matches I have never spoken with her. I also didn't realize that Rachael traveled such a tough road to being a contributor for a top 20 women's team.

Question 1: Can you tell me what going to UD has meant to your daughter and how has she grown in that time?

Rachael had some amazing offers to play at different schools. To be honest, we were surprised (and ecstatic) that she picked UD. When we asked her why UD she never hesitated about why she decided to be a flyer: "I love the campus, I love the team, I love the coach and most of all I love the idea of continuing my education at a great Catholic school. " It was at that moment, that we knew the university fit her like a glove. All those years of catholic education (pre-k thru 12th grade) made a life long impact in her spiritual upbringing and we did not need to worry about her questioning her faith or losing her moral fiber. When we drove the 1400 + miles to bring her to school, I shed MANY tears but I knew in my heart not to worry about her, she was in a good place.....no a great place.

Rachael's journey to become a flyer has not been without its struggles. Rach was born premature weighing less than 4 pounds. Her tenacity showed from the very beginning. She had 5 ear surgeries before the age of 2. Her doctors thought that she would have speech problems....not so, and anyone who knows her would attest to that! She thrived academically and socially. She began playing volleyball at age 9. She made the traveling 12's team at 91/2 as a setter. As a 7th grader, Rach suffered a major ear infection that caused an abscess in her brain. She had major ear surgery and part of her skull bone was removed. As she was recovering, she developed another infection and had to have the surgery repeated. At this point, she lost nearly 60% of her hearing and her balance was affected for a short time. She's a fighter and finally recovered. She led her junior high volleyball team and basketball team to undefeated seasons and back to back league championships. In her 8th grade year, she had her first ACL tear. She had surgery, worked non-stop at her rehab and was back on the court in 4 1/2 months. She made it back in time for Nationals and placed 9th in Open. Things seemed to be going well when it happened again. This time it was a cheap undercut during a basketball game that tore her other ACL. She refused to have surgery until after JO's that year so she played with a special brace on a torn ACL for 6 months. One week after JO's she had another knee surgery and rehab. She made it back onto the court in 3 months. She continued to work hard, study hard, and play hard. She would not be denied her dream of playing college volleyball for a top program. She has never looked back or questioned whether or not she made the right choice going to UD. However, she has had struggles to fight thru here as well. In October of her freshman year, she was in the weight room and lost her footing. The weights crushed her to the ground and broke her back. She was in a back brace but did not want sympathy, she wanted to heal so that she could get back out there and play. She made it back on the court after another major injury and just when things were looking good, she has to have another knee surgery. She has torn meniscus and needs micro fracture surgery. Once again, she refuses to be denied her opportunity to play and rehabs her knee, works out diligently, and pushes herself to be the best she can be. Others would have given up along time ago, not Rach. It's so amazing that she is now finishing her last season in college. We are very proud of all that she has accomplished. We are also certain, that she won't stop when the game is over.....she will push onto the next thing in life.

Rachael's experience at UD has been filled with the many blessings of a great education, top notch volleyball and life long friends. She has grown in her faith, poise and self-confidence. However, there has been tragedy that has impacted her life. The tears continue to well up in her eyes when she looks at photos and talks about one of her roommates, teammates and best friends Kacie Hausfeld. The tragic passing of Kacie has impacted so many lives, but to those girls who shared nearly every waking moment together, whether it was in the ghetto, at the house they shared, in the locker room, or on the volleyball court, it has changed them beyond comprehension. Rachael has handled the tragedy with strength and courage. She has been a rock and source of inspiration to her teammates and family. She has become a person who values life even more. She does not take for granted a single moment in a day. Her love for family and friends has grown deeper.

Question 2) What would you tell a parent who's daughter is considering playing for UD?

"I would tell any parent to trust in the community of UD. The students care and look out for each other. The administration, Professors and Athletic department care for every student. They want the students to succeed. There is so much support when things are going well but there is even more support when things are really bad or when tragedy strikes. As parents, we can not thank the University enough for all of the support given to our daughter over the past 4 years. Whether it was a professor congratulating them for a game well played, a visit to her room from administration and athletic dept officials when she was on bedrest with her back, or compassion when she lost her dear friend, the community of the University of Dayton has been there. I have spoken to many friends whose children attend other universities and they have been so impressed with the level of support that students receive at UD. This is priceless. This May, our large family will have another alumni of the University of Dayton and we are certain that she will never forget her UD family. What a great foundation for the rest of her life. For that, we are thankful".

It has been a pleasure to watch Rachael play for UD. We will miss her crashing into scoreboards and coming through at key times. Good luck in your medical career!
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools