Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 04:43 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Young girls are playing VB not basketball

I had to post this great write up from ESPN W. They say the amount of girls playing volleyball in high school has surpassed the amount of girls playing basketball and they highlight a handful of players and discussed the reason for making the choice to play volleyball.

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/art...record-numbers

I would image this would increase the amount of top level teams in college volleyball. Is this why Dayton just got it's first setter that is 6'2" tall? Will this infusion of more players help to increase parity? Will this infustion of more players increase the amount of first and second round upsets that have made the Men's basketball tournament so interesting? So many ways to look at this for the future of college volleyball.

I know I have gotten excited about some of the bottom teams in the A-10 getting better recruits, and I won't argue that. But are they getting better recruits than similar schools in other conferences, or is it just because the talent pool has expanded. I think La Salle and Fordham are improving, but they will still have a challenge to climb out of the NCAA basement when other teams are starting to see some of the same success because of the fact that there are simply more players.
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2017, 12:29 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
My HS sophomore daughter was the leading scorer and rebounder on her Jr High basketball team as well as their best VB player. Then came HS.

After a great freshman VB season (Fall) she had to make a choice between Club VB ('JO') or basketball, she was given an either/or scenario from both her Club VB and HS basketball coach. Neither would allow for her to try both. So she chose VB and I'm sooooooooooo glad I can hardly put it in words.

Last edited by rollo; 02-17-2017 at 01:39 PM..
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
cralford (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:05 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
If my daughters had that choice, I'd have had her make the VB choice as well. But when you are 5'4 or shorter, your HS career in either is rather limited, and neither had the choice to pick either.

However, the degree to which kids have to pick one or the other today is a bad development in my mind. The days of multi-sport athletes are dwindling.

Know of a situation where a kid as a freshman last year rushed for 1500 yards in 8 freshman games, was the leading scorer on the freshman basketball team, and hit 575 and was 5-0 as a pitcher in freshman baseball. All three varsity coaches said pick one this year.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
C-time (02-20-2017), jack72 (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:31 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
What I love about VB is that it's a forced team sport...meaning that one person can't do everything. One girl passes...one sets and another kills. When your front row rotation is over, you sit and a teammate replaces you. Of the 6 girls on the court, 3 participate in every play (with exceptions, I know)...rarely does a girl not come out.

Girls basketball so often is 1 girl going coast-to-coast and 2 scoring 75% of the points with 5-7 girls playing but rarely if ever touching the ball. And most coaches don't care. Sorry...not fun to watch! Not fun to play!

My daughter's HS VB team lacks depth and commitment which shows as they struggle to play .500 ball but they work hard, like each other and have fun. Her 16N Club team is loaded, works incredibly hard and plays >.500 ball. It's awesome. But it's long...start in August, end in May/June...and expensive! Good thing I'm King!

UGH!

Long live VB!

Last edited by rollo; 02-17-2017 at 01:37 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (02-17-2017), cralford (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:10 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
It is sad that kids...yes kids....have to make these tough choices so early these days. At the smaller schools it's more acceptable to still participate in 2-3 sports, but with AAU and clubs becoming the real places college coaches recruit, it's becoming so difficult.

Rollo is 100% right in that 1-2 kids can dominate a basketball team. You can't do that in volleyball. It's a true team sport to the core. It also is a sport that every play counts. If you don't execute on every play the other team gets the point. In basketball you can miss a shot or turn the ball over and drop back to play defense. I think the fact there is a point to be won or lost every time the ball is put into play also ups the need for a total team concept in volleyball.it is clearly an emerging sport in America. Women are leading the way right now, but more and more men are also coming into the sport. It will be interesting to see how far it comes in the next 10 years.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
cralford (02-17-2017), rollo (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 03:27 PM

*my nephew (cj's son) won 2 State Championships at AHS...those were meant for me!

I wish Alter HS* had VB back when I was there. Outside of weight lifting and Smear the Queer, it was my favorite Phys Ed activity!
Old 02-17-2017, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
... but with AAU and clubs becoming the real places college coaches recruit, it's becoming so difficult.
Because SWBL isn't the GCL, the best way for my daughter to be seen/recruited is at Club tourneys. So far 2 D3 and 1 D2 school have contacted her...so it's working out well. She's got time and talent...it'll work out.
Old 02-17-2017, 04:46 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
What I love about VB is that it's a forced team sport...meaning that one person can't do everything. One girl passes...one sets and another kills. When your front row rotation is over, you sit and a teammate replaces you. Of the 6 girls on the court, 3 participate in every play (with exceptions, I know)...rarely does a girl not come out.

Girls basketball so often is 1 girl going coast-to-coast and 2 scoring 75% of the points with 5-7 girls playing but rarely if ever touching the ball. And most coaches don't care. Sorry...not fun to watch! Not fun to play!

My daughter's HS VB team lacks depth and commitment which shows as they struggle to play .500 ball but they work hard, like each other and have fun. Her 16N Club team is loaded, works incredibly hard and plays >.500 ball. It's awesome. But it's long...start in August, end in May/June...and expensive! Good thing I'm King!

UGH!

Long live VB!
Hey Rollo,

I agree on your analysis of vball. It requires team play and precision. Even in high school the team that simply hits it over will get crushed

I went through some of this with my niece's vball team. One of the biggest problems that they have is the ball falling to the floor without anyone moving for it.

So, I had my niece and her friends play 3 on 3 and some of the time I served to them. It was amazing the difference it made as they moved for the ball earlier and their passing improved a lot. Even though they didn't have offensive fire power to beat better teams they forced them to earn the points.

Playing 3 on 3 also gives a player practice serving. If they can learn to hit the ball hard and stop their hand so it doesn't follow through it will let them learn to hit a floater early. My niece served ten in a row multiple times simply because most players haven't returned a good floater

If your daughter is playing club I probably haven't said anything you didn't already know, lol

I remember Becky Novacek telling me that she prefered the pace of vball over bball although she played both. Her twin sister on the other hand prefered bball.

I'm sure that ratings for vball will improve as more and more players are added and their parents learn to appreciate the sport.
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 05:06 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Very good point about parents learning the sport. I would guess only about 20-25% of volleyball parents really know the sport. That will change and when it does it will contribute to the sport taking another step forward in popularity.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (02-17-2017)
Old 02-17-2017, 06:25 PM

Based on encouragement from basketball official friends, I'm considering getting OHSAA certified to officiate VB, too. The only thing holding me back is that I can't figure out the rules...like Libero Tracker! Because of my daughter I see a lot of VB...and I pay attention, too. Regardless, it's a complicated sport.

UGH!!!
Old 02-18-2017, 05:31 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
Another thought - girls playing volleyball not BB

In current UD roster Bio's, I note that Jamie Peterson and Lauren Bruns were good at both high school volleyball and basketball. However, with none of the others was a second sport mentioned.

Since Jamie and Lauren attended smaller HS's, it is possible that others may have attended larger schools with more basketball talent.

Back in the old days of my high school years (late 1950's and early 1960's) a lot of students played several sports, often to stay in shape or work on specific
physical skills. Also, I do not remember sports camp's being such a big thing then.
Old 02-18-2017, 05:34 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
The only "downside" I have seen to VB is parents. Too many know nothing at all, and then their 5'7 sophomore who can't play libretto or set is getting a D1 scholarship. When my daughter was in school I showed them a few D1 rosters including UD. They were shocked at the height.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (02-19-2017)
Old 02-18-2017, 08:28 PM

And girls just keep getting taller. Several programs next year will have 6'8" players. In the late 1970's, at 5'7" I was playing a post position in basketball and what was called a " spiker" in volleyball. Today my guess is I could only be a DS/L in volleyball at a D1 school of any quality. And, my only prayer in basketball at a good program would be as a point guard that could shoot the heck out of 3 pointers - and even then I would have to have glue running thru my veins so I could play shut down defense. Otherwise 5'7" just isn't tall enough for even a point guard at good programs.
Old 02-19-2017, 07:39 AM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDDoug View Post
The only "downside" I have seen to VB is parents. Too many know nothing at all, and then their 5'7 sophomore who can't play libretto or set is getting a D1 scholarship. When my daughter was in school I showed them a few D1 rosters including UD. They were shocked at the height.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yep Anyone under 6' had better learn to pass the ball really well or set it really well. A 5'10 or 5'11 player who can pass or set can still get a scholarship at least at lower div I school. But, if you think your daughter isn't going to be tall you had better plan on her being a libero and that is much more difficult than it looks

I did a quick check of Wright State's roster. they have two setters who are 5'10 and two outside hitters who are 5'11

Do div II schools give scholarships?

I met a new employee at work who is 5'4 and asked her if she played any sports in school and she said "you won't believe me". She then told me she played volleyball and I said there is always a spot on the court for a great libero, totally surprised her because some think only tall players play
Old 02-19-2017, 10:33 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
Yep Anyone under 6' had better learn to pass the ball really well or set it really well. A 5'10 or 5'11 player who can pass or set can still get a scholarship at least at lower div I school. But, if you think your daughter isn't going to be tall you had better plan on her being a libero and that is much more difficult than it looks . . .

It's not how tall you are, it's how high you jump - a good division I program won't be interested if you can't touch 10 feet (liberos & setters excepted - and a short setter can still be a real disadvantage).

Old 02-20-2017, 08:19 AM

Div II schools do give scholarships and you find many good 5'9" OHs. I believe they have more flexibility in scholarships such as giving half scholarships, etc. it will be interesting to see what happens to the opportunities for shorter hitters even at Div II schools as more girls enter the sport. Glen is correct on the how high can you jump factor, but with 6'8" girls entering the mix, 5'10" is not going to be able to make up the difference. 6'2" is going to have problems making up the difference. Long arms are important too. A couple years ago, ILL had a couple middles that weren't real tall, but both had long arms which helped them block. We also saw that with setter Jess Yanz. She had long arms that helped her block.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (02-20-2017), UDBrian (02-21-2017)
Old 02-21-2017, 01:35 PM
General of the Air Force

I agree with Glen that jumping height is the key. But tall players with longer arms don't need the same timing that a shorter player needs. If the shorter player hits the ball at the peak of their jump every single time they can be even with the tall player. But if the timing is off the taller player with long arms has an advantage especially when blocking

There will always be that 5'10" hitter who can sky and hit the ball on quick sets that make it tough on all blockers. But when you saw the ncaa championships with their 6'6" and 6'8" left outside hitters it seemed pretty obvious that other coaches would try to play those tall girls on the left side instead of the middle or right side

I read once that Wilt Chamberlain loved vball and said that if he had learned vball early he might not have played bball. I wonder what men's vball would be like now if Wilt had played vball at his peak, a 7' left side hitter?

Last edited by UDBrian; 02-21-2017 at 01:38 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (02-22-2017), Glen Clark (02-21-2017)
Old 02-22-2017, 07:35 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
sports - young women who are not tall

For young women who are less than 5'7" = play soccer.

UC Santa Barbara - a pretty good soccer school (who played Dayton in the last several years) just announced recruits for next year. Nine of the 11 are 5'6" or shorter and six of those 9 are 5'3" or shorter.