Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
In Search of Sherron Dorsey-Walker
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
12-27-2010

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- The last time I saw Detroit Pershing HS play in person was 2 years ago when I did a story on then-Flyer recruiting target Isaiah Sykes of Detroit Finney HS. That Doughboy squad featured Derrick Nix and Keith Appling, both Michigan Mr. Basketball winners and both now at MSU, as well as Juwan Howard, Jr. now a Western Michigan Bronco. Unfortunately for Coach A.W. Canada the talent pool is not nearly as deep this year at Pershing, but he does have a couple of top flight players, both of whom the Flyers are watching, in Class of 2012 prospect Sherron Dorsey Walker and Class of 2013 player Martez Walker (no relation).

Pershing was set to face Cincinnati Withrow HS in the marquee matchup Sunday night in the 16th annual Motor City Roundball Classic at Detroit Country Day HS. The added bonus is that I would also be able to watch Devin Williams, a 2013 big man prospect who plays for Withrow and his Florida State-bound teammate Aaron Thomas.

Here is the schedule of games for the 5 days of the invitational, courtesy of InsidePrepSports.com:

http://www.ipsbasketball.com/motor_c...ndball_schedul

Attending this tournament required me to venture forth to the far western reaches of the Village of Beverly Hills, at most a 3 minute drive from my house. Detroit Country Day has a nice gym -- the clock counts one-hundredths of a second when you get below a minute -- but it’s straight out of the 1970’s. Not to worry -- they are building a brand new, state-of-the-art facility immediately adjacent to the current building. To say the school is “well-endowed” is the understatement of the millennium. DCDS is of course the alma mater of Chris Webber and Shane Battier and the gym features roughly 50 banners hanging from the rafters, all of them for State Championships, in everything from soccer to tennis, for both boys and girls teams. Dang, it must be nice to recruit in high school!

Withrow’s size proved to be just too much, as the Doughboys came back from a 12 point half time deficit, but ultimately fell 82-73. Beyond size, the problem was that no one besides Sherron or Martez could make a basket. Their two PGs missed just about every shot they took. Sherron ended up with 24 points, on 6-19 shooting and he had 4 assists and 2 steals. The good news is that he was 11-12 from the FT line. Martez finished with 29 tallies, as his three pointers were falling. For Withrow, Thomas had 30 points including several break away tomahawk jams and Williams 19 points and 13 boards. Devin is a chiseled kid, listed at 6’7” and 220 pounds with huge feet, so he’s probably not done growing. He looked like a man vs. HS kids out there.

Here is an in-depth story on the game from The Detroit Freep:

http://www.freep.com/article/2010122...ndball-Classic

The Detroit News also has some coverage:

http://www.detnews.com/article/20101...s-to-Ohio-team

I spoke with SDW after the game. He said that he is 6’4” and 185 pounds, altho to me that seems a tad generous (Scout.com lists him at 6’3” and 180). He’s hearing the most from Michigan, Dayton, Baylor, Indiana, Western Michigan, Central Michigan and MSU. Sherron said all of the above have offered, although a check of the Rivals.com and Scout.com databases don’t show MSU as having offered yet. Asked what he needs to work on he mentioned rebounding and playmaking. Early in the game SDW had a bandage on his elbow and it seemed to be bothering him so he took it off. He said it was just a cut, which he showed me. I mentioned that his Twitter account had been inactive since mid-November and he shrugged his shoulders with the look of a guy who has much better things to do with his time.

After the game, Coach Canada was busy in the locker room with his squad, so I sat down and chatted with one of his assistants on the bleachers outside. He said that Sherron is “a great kid, with a great attitude and he’s a 4.0 (first semester) student.” I asked him if Martez and Sherron were related and he said “No, they are not…they’re just two kids who like to shoot…a lot!”

For this night anyway, the shots just weren’t falling for Sherron. If you scoped out the schedule for the MCRC, Pershing has another marquee matchup on Wednesday at 9:00PM vs. Jackson. “From the Swamp” will be there to see Sherron and Pershing do battle again, after the Flyers dispatch George Mason.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools