User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-12-2016, 01:42 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
NCAA Tournament First Round - at Ohio State

The NCAA Tournament run starts today!

6pm in Columbus, Ohio!

I hope to see other fans there!

Let's go UD!
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2016, 01:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Still tired from last night, but I will be there!
Old 11-12-2016, 08:16 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
Didn't see the first half but the numbers would seem to point to OSU having the run of play. But the 2nd half belonged to Dayton. There were minutes-long stretches when OSU didn't possess the ball past midfield. Would like to see the breakaway chance again on replay. OSU GK was out of position and it looked like the idea was to curl one around her. In any case, that shot went wide right. Would also like to see the play again that resulted in the injury to and subsequent loss of Johns. But that free kick from just outside the box was a well-placed rocket.

Congratulations, Flyers, on an inspiring run to end the season and honor a fine coach and man. He'll take great memories of this final season with him as he rides into the sunset no doubt.
Mad Props to redbengal For This Totally Excellent Post:
SacramentoFlyer (11-13-2016)
Old 11-12-2016, 08:25 PM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
UD outplayed them for most of the game. The foul was an unfortunate call since the ref let them play all night. Hard to see exactly what happened. Hate to lose on a questional call.
Old 11-12-2016, 09:36 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
I thought OSU had a majority of the playing time in the beginning of the game. The first half goal was a nice over the defense pass and Kiehl made a nice goal.

Hated the fact that OSU scored within a minute of our goal because I was starting the "We are ... UD" chant. So I didn't get to see how it broke down.

Didn't like the free kick goal because as NovaFlyer stated, they were letting them play all night.

They seemed taller than us, and maybe a bit faster than us, and able to do pretty good give-and-go's, but we played with them very well.

Props to the Men's Baseball team (who surrounded my daughter and I in the stands) for cheering on the ladies. And their PG jabs at Urban Meyer.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-12-2016), NovaFlyer (11-12-2016), SacramentoFlyer (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 02:32 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,096 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I posted pics and an infographic on Twitter. Go there to check them out.

Heartbreak. So tired of losing to Ohio State in the NCAAs. Overall, they were the more talented team. Like most Power-5 teams we face, a little bigger, stronger, faster at all positions (amortized). We did not play well in the first half, could not win any 50/50s, and generated zero offense. But a great feed from Libby through the OSU back line to Kiehl at midfield did the trick and we scored on our lone shot of the half. At 1-1, that was a big backbreaker for OSU to give that up with 30sec before intermission.

Going up 2-1, I thought we might have them, but the proverbial "dont have a letdown" post-score letdown goal was our own backbreaker. Just cant do that in the tourney and expect to win when playing "up" in competition. But over much of the second half we played exponentially better than the first half. Had more possession, better work rate, and just overall more attacking chances.

The Johns collision was brutal. But the big fast black forward for OSU wasnt gonna back off. Shes played in the Big10. There WILL be a collision. Both called chicken and neither flinched. From what Im hearing it was quite ugly in the face. KJ was down for about 5min before being helped off. She did walk off under her own power but was groggy and not in good shape. I've heard everything from broken eye socket to broken jaw and other icky things. Will try to find out more. She was playing amazing. Both goals surrendered she had no chance on. She made 2-3 huge diving saves or slide tackles and kept us in the game. The free kick was the nail in the coffin. As soon as the ref pointed to the spot, I mumbled "game over" to myself. Big10 teams are not going to field goal those chances 10yds over the crossbar. Too much skill. Its gonna be on frame, well placed, and with pace. Couldnt see if DiTusa should have had it or not. But the fact that we gave up the free kick at all (bad call or not) was the killer.

Better team probably won. We had to work harder to play at the match's level. But we gave ourselves an honest chances -- cant ask for much more than that. And considering where we were 2.5 weeks ago, we were light years better than then. We came a long way in a short period. Overall I thought the defense played pretty well tonight all things considered -- but few teams advance when surrendering 3 goals.

Pestell was, literally, sensational. She was going up against some big-time strikers and despite giving up 4-5 inches and 25-30lbs, she stuck a cork in them. It was a little hairy at times, but every time she needed a last second toe-poke, she got it. And in transition, her offensive punch was huge down the sidelines. I cant remember another defender that has as much quality attacking prowess out of the back. Maybe Beth McHugh but she only played defense for about 1.5 seasons. Pestell has a shot to be A10 defensive player of the year next season if she adds another 5-8lb of muscle. So enjoyable to watch her play.

Libby and Kiehl hooked up twice. That was our bread and butter late in the year. We'll have some serious question marks next season in the midfield and perhaps also depth-wise. But there are some pieces. Livingston and Mink got better last 1/3 year. We need Kamphaus to take a step forward. She seemed to tread water this year.

All starts with work rate. We get that and we're competitive with a lot of teams. It was the difference between hanging on by fingernails in the first half and dominating at times in the second half.

Thanks for everything Coach Tucker. Sleep in tomorrow. You earned it.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (11-13-2016), Figgie123 (11-13-2016), fuz_forward (11-14-2016), NovaFlyer (11-13-2016)
Old 11-13-2016, 08:07 AM
Colonel

NovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to beholdNovaFlyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I posted pics and an infographic on Twitter. Go there to check them out.

Heartbreak. So tired of losing to Ohio State in the NCAAs. Overall, they were the more talented team. Like most Power-5 teams we face, a little bigger, stronger, faster at all positions (amortized). We did not play well in the first half, could not win any 50/50s, and generated zero offense. But a great feed from Libby through the OSU back line to Kiehl at midfield did the trick and we scored on our lone shot of the half. At 1-1, that was a big backbreaker for OSU to give that up with 30sec before intermission.

Going up 2-1, I thought we might have them, but the proverbial "dont have a letdown" post-score letdown goal was our own backbreaker. Just cant do that in the tourney and expect to win when playing "up" in competition. But over much of the second half we played exponentially better than the first half. Had more possession, better work rate, and just overall more attacking chances.

The Johns collision was brutal. But the big fast black forward for OSU wasnt gonna back off. Shes played in the Big10. There WILL be a collision. Both called chicken and neither flinched. From what Im hearing it was quite ugly in the face. KJ was down for about 5min before being helped off. She did walk off under her own power but was groggy and not in good shape. I've heard everything from broken eye socket to broken jaw and other icky things. Will try to find out more. She was playing amazing. Both goals surrendered she had no chance on. She made 2-3 huge diving saves or slide tackles and kept us in the game. The free kick was the nail in the coffin. As soon as the ref pointed to the spot, I mumbled "game over" to myself. Big10 teams are not going to field goal those chances 10yds over the crossbar. Too much skill. Its gonna be on frame, well placed, and with pace. Couldnt see if DiTusa should have had it or not. But the fact that we gave up the free kick at all (bad call or not) was the killer.

Better team probably won. We had to work harder to play at the match's level. But we gave ourselves an honest chances -- cant ask for much more than that. And considering where we were 2.5 weeks ago, we were light years better than then. We came a long way in a short period. Overall I thought the defense played pretty well tonight all things considered -- but few teams advance when surrendering 3 goals.

Pestell was, literally, sensational. She was going up against some big-time strikers and despite giving up 4-5 inches and 25-30lbs, she stuck a cork in them. It was a little hairy at times, but every time she needed a last second toe-poke, she got it. And in transition, her offensive punch was huge down the sidelines. I cant remember another defender that has as much quality attacking prowess out of the back. Maybe Beth McHugh but she only played defense for about 1.5 seasons. Pestell has a shot to be A10 defensive player of the year next season if she adds another 5-8lb of muscle. So enjoyable to watch her play.

Libby and Kiehl hooked up twice. That was our bread and butter late in the year. We'll have some serious question marks next season in the midfield and perhaps also depth-wise. But there are some pieces. Livingston and Mink got better last 1/3 year. We need Kamphaus to take a step forward. She seemed to tread water this year.

All starts with work rate. We get that and we're competitive with a lot of teams. It was the difference between hanging on by fingernails in the first half and dominating at times in the second half.

Thanks for everything Coach Tucker. Sleep in tomorrow. You earned it.
Was the "free kick" a legit call? Looked like a scrum to us on TV.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:50 PM

Thanked 17,096 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I was on other end of the field. Did not have a good look.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 11-13-2016, 09:09 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
We were getting bounced around quite a bit in the first half. Thought LeRoy came in late in the half and helped us turn the possession game around a bit. The goal by Kiehl just before the half was huge. She was shoulder to shoulder with the much bigger defender but would not concede an inch and finished strong.

Going up 2-1, I thought we had a chance. However, giving up the tying goal 30 seconds later was a killer. Just can't do that.

Johns was spectacular - several diving saves and a couple of stuffs of Prince in 1v1 situations. Her injury was so unfortunate. Looked like 2 players just each going hard and it was either a knee or foot that caught Johns in the eye as she went down to smother the ball.

Pestell handled everything thrown at her and then some. She defended the left side so very well while giving up lbs and inches. Her ability to carry the ball forward with pace from the back was huge - several times all the way to the offensive third and even to the opposite end line a couple of times.

"This is not good" - my first thought when the free kick was called. It seemed a soft call, but too far away from me to tell for sure - and I haven't been able to find any video on it yet. The ref was stepping off 12 yards instead of 10 all night on free kicks for both teams. A free kick in the middle of the field, just outside the box, against a backup keeper was just too much.

Still, what a heck of an ending to the season. Three weeks ago we looked dead for even the A-10 tournament. A big salute to Coach Tucker and the ladies for digging down deep and making this a season to remember.

Good strong nucleus of players coming back. Losing 3 starters - O'Malley , Leedom, and Byrne. I think Leedom could still play another year as she had a red-shirt year due to injury. . However, she did go through Senior Day and has been accepted into med school - so I assume she is gone.

Three weeks ago I thought this team was just going through the motions and the end of the season could not come quick enough.. The ladies proved me wrong. Thanks for the ride.

Last edited by ud69; 11-14-2016 at 12:41 AM..
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (11-15-2016), Glen Clark (11-13-2016), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-16-2016), NovaFlyer (11-13-2016), SacramentoFlyer (11-14-2016), soccerflyer (11-15-2016)
Old 11-16-2016, 08:56 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Good article on Tucker in the Dayton City News
http://www.daytoncitypaper.com/on-your-marc-1115/

Does anyone know what Johns' injury was and how she is doing?

Last edited by Lifelong Flyer Fan; 11-16-2016 at 09:01 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (11-16-2016), ud69 (11-16-2016)