User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-18-2017, 07:37 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm actually enjoying this team

Unlike the "we better make the sweet 16 or Grant is on the hot seat" crowd (exaggerating), I'm really enjoying this team.

The last few years the outcome of every game was so dang important. We had such a fine margin for error given the committee bias, and failing to qualify would have set the program back from the perspective of recruiting and perception. If we couldn't win anything with those guys, how the heck would we win anything when they were gone?!

This year is different. We're in the top 5 of most returning minutes lost. Expectations are low. And I see real positive signs. There's some really nice talent there which might come together to make a serious team by the end of the year.

Positive signs:
-The team hasn't gelled at all yet. So much upside.
-DD seems to have the needed attitude to win.
-Grant doesn't even seem to know what he's got, leaving much upside.
-Trey looks like the real deal athletically.
-Cunningham looks like a stud.
-JC looks like a reasonable PG.
-The defensive is playing with effort (though the result is not particularly good yet).
-Kostas.

Negative signs are fewer, but:
-Do we have an offensive rebound yet this year?! We seem to take about 1/2 of our shots with no one inside of 15 feet when the ball comes off the rim.
-The offensive scheme is still a mystery to me, do the players know what it is yet?
-3 point shooting is abysmal. Even if you take out XW's 4-23 showing, we're only shooting 36%, and almost all of that comes from DD shooting over 50%.
-Svoboda looks like we feared he would look. He can't get on the floor because he can't guard anyone.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (11-18-2017), ChrisInVenice (11-18-2017), Flyers98 (11-18-2017), redbengal (11-20-2017)
Advertisement
Old 11-18-2017, 08:55 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Agree with all, (although I think Josh had 8 ORB last night). I don’t have a ton of expectations and I am willing to be patient but from what I have seen I think they could develop into a very good team as the season progresses. We’ve got some shooters and the potential for inside out play with Josh and Kostas is very promising. I would love to see those guys on the floor together. It seems like we would have a pretty good matchup and rebounding scenario, but I understand that probably wouldn’t be smart right now from a foul perspective.

Anyone know what the deal is with Trey’s ankle.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyers98 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChrisInVenice (11-18-2017), San Diego Flyer (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 09:31 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
You posted today Gazoo, so you saw the Ohio game I assume. Take out Xeyrius's 1-9 and the rest of the team was 9/20 from 3 point. Jordan Davis and Jalen Crutcher, Matej and Josh were selective in their shooting and went 6/12. Except for X, nobody got too trigger happy.
I still remember one of the quotes from off season where one of the players said we have shooters. We are going to score. Landers goes down and Jordan Davis gets 30 minutes and scores 10 points.

Offensive rebounding against Hofstra was anemic. Last night we destroyed Ohio on the boards with Josh going into full beast mode. Our learning curve is palatable.

I agree on the mysterious offensive flow. But we had good ball movement and player movement. Just was not clear what the end game intended to be. Reminds me of the old saying, "We are lost, but were making good time! ".

Bottom line guys really picked it up last night and learned a lot from the Hofstra mess.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 09:52 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

FlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerBob has a reputation beyond repute
I tend to agonize during the game, worried about a bad loss that hurts our NCAAT chances or blowing an oppty to cement an invite. That’s been lifted this season so in a way Im also am enjoying this season in a way I haven’t. Fun season to relax and watch the team develop. ��.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerBob For This Totally Excellent Post:
ChrisInVenice (11-18-2017), mikeymo85 (11-18-2017), redbengal (11-20-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 09:59 AM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
there is sort of not quite a weave, high picks, lots of perimeter passing. But we are using the corners and other gaps fairly well. Not sure what it's called, but it's wroking fairly well.

Frankly, i think JOrdan Davis was open a lot on weakside, just not looking for his shot 100% of time.

There are some combos that are working on offense, some are not.

X is forcing, Jalen C is forcing and making bad decisions. BESt team out there seems to be DD, Kostas, JC, X or eventually Matej, and either JOrdan Davis or Trey. It will all work out.

I like the pieces a lot! Gonna be a fun year.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:00 AM
General

Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Frankly, i'm not certain about Crosby yet. I think Crutcher will be better, just don't know if it's this year or next year.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:12 AM
1st Lieutenant

Wallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant futureWallage has a brilliant future
Agreed, much less stress this year! I can watch these guys develop in relative peace compared to the last couple of years. Enjoy it, I think next year is another high expectations, high stress year.

There really is a lot of talent on this team. I think they will learn roles, gel and be very good by seasons end.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:38 AM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
You posted today Gazoo, so you saw the Ohio game I assume. Take out Xeyrius's 1-9 and the rest of the team was 9/20 from 3 point. Jordan Davis and Jalen Crutcher, Matej and Josh were selective in their shooting and went 6/12. Except for X, nobody got too trigger happy.
I still remember one of the quotes from off season where one of the players said we have shooters. We are going to score. Landers goes down and Jordan Davis gets 30 minutes and scores 10 points.

Offensive rebounding against Hofstra was anemic. Last night we destroyed Ohio on the boards with Josh going into full beast mode. Our learning curve is palatable.

I agree on the mysterious offensive flow. But we had good ball movement and player movement. Just was not clear what the end game intended to be. Reminds me of the old saying, "We are lost, but were making good time! ".

Bottom line guys really picked it up last night and learned a lot from the Hofstra mess.
I saw most of the Ohio game. 1 game does not make a season (nor does 3), I was basing the shooting comments on the total season so far not just the 1 game where things turned around a bit. But yes, more signs of life here.

Also, Ohio is not very good. I should hope Cunningham and Co. destroy them on the boards.

I forgot to mention: 77% from the FT line.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
The worst offensive move of the tournament is that gosh-awful Gildan underware ad. If I never see it again it will be too soon.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (11-18-2017), Figgie123 (11-18-2017), Flyer 86 (11-18-2017), shocka43 (11-18-2017), TXFlyerFan (11-18-2017)
Old 11-18-2017, 12:19 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
The worst offensive move of the tournament is that gosh-awful Gildan underware ad. If I never see it again it will be too soon.
I'm hurt. You don't like seeing me scratch my belly while I search the fridge for a snack?
Old 11-18-2017, 12:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Agreed. It's one thing to see an animated fat guy pole-dancing in his underwear (in the Duluth Trading ads). It's another thing entirely to see a real, live fat guy on a nocturnal fridge raid in his briefs. TMI.

And yes, I look worse than him.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2017, 12:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Back to the thread. It is fun watching these guys grow and develop. Especially when you see things like last night, when JD got open while running the right wing on a fast break, and the pass came perfectly to him, and he drained the catch-and-shoot 3. Like they were in their 3rd season, not their 3rd collegiate game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2017, 01:00 PM
General

DAD? Dad!!! don't do that!
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (11-20-2017)