Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Soccer

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 01-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Captain

soccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura about
2016 schedule thread

Just wondering if anyone had heard yet who is hosting the A10 Championships? Would it be considered too soon for Dayton to host again, having had the honors in 2011 and 2014 (winning both)?

Home field undoubtedly had helped hoist more trophies, while Dayton failed to win its tourney appearances on the road in 2012 (La Salle), 2013 (La Salle), and 2015 (Duquesne).
Advertisement
Old 01-11-2016, 09:32 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Right now I'm more concerned with shoring up the troops. Not a typical a UD soccer year. Need some bigger stronger faster players in recruiting class.
Old 01-13-2016, 01:13 PM
Captain

soccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Right now I'm more concerned with shoring up the troops. Not a typical a UD soccer year. Need some bigger stronger faster players in recruiting class.
AF, you're right to not be too concerned with scheduling as it is the offseason and there are plenty of other things to talk about. As a fan who has attended five of the last six championships, I was trying to see if I had another trip to look forward to. Given the home/away records it should matter at least a little bit whether the Flyers would be hosting, even if it's not at the forefront of our minds it is definitely a factor in potential NCAA qualification.

Often the championship venue has been determined well in advance and sometimes it has leaked. I'm a planner and I plan on being there. Dayton belongs there, too. I'm not concerned with Dayton not qualifying for the A10's next season, are you?
Old 03-16-2016, 11:08 AM
Captain

http://daytonflyers.com/schedule.asp...=136&path=wsoc

Highlights:
8/19 - Opening the season at Cincinnati (#39 RPI), winners of the AAC last year.
9/2 - Hosting Xavier (because, Xavier!)
9/4 - Hosting Purdue (#72 RPI)
9/9 - at Nebraska (#44 RPI)

There are some gems in there but the overall SOS looks to be down considerably. See you in Kingston...
Old 03-22-2016, 02:15 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Not a schedule that would set one up for an at-large NCAA berth.

Can't say I am too worried about the schedule. Last year was a major disappointment and the talent level coming back is a huge concern. I am more worried about how we will compete this coming year. With Waters and Campbell gone, who steps up? We need improvement all over the field.
Old 03-24-2016, 12:34 AM
Captain

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Not a schedule that would set one up for an at-large NCAA berth.

... We need improvement all over the field.
True. And Dayton has never been an at large pick. (EDIT: false. I've been corrected. Not since 2002 at least.) So, I think we throw around the words "at large" around here a bit too much as it's only appropriate conversation for a November team that's done just about everything but win the final.

The biggest improvement the program can get next year is in goal. Tucker has been loyal to Johns so she hopefully goes on to develop into an all conference selection. Or, maybe another competes for minutes. But either way, giving up 33 goals in a season is not typical of this program and shant be repeated. I questioned the logic of staying with a single goalie for a season but maybe his options were limited or maybe he was playing for next year.

The offense has frustrated some on this board for being too two dimensional. I protested that negative assessment by pointing out that Dayton was the only A10 team last season to have as many as six different scoring threats in the starting lineup on a given night. Of course when you have one player with enough talent to produce 17 goals and another with 17 assists, you're going to run plays for them their senior year. That doesn't necessarily bode poorly for the rest of the squad, which beat Butler in spring training 4-1 yesterday. It's just spring but it's a sign of some potential and it's reassurance to my claim that multiple scoring threats exist.

Last edited by soccerflyer; 05-13-2016 at 02:45 PM..
Old 03-24-2016, 01:50 AM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Were we not an at-large in 2002? That is a year when - as was pointed out - we won virtually everything except the A-10 final (loss to URI).

IMHOP, Tucker must build from the back with defense - as was his custom until the last few years. Lack of recover speed and poor marking bit us in the rear big time last year. We need bigger, faster, and stronger defenders. When we had Williams, Libertine, Campbell, and Waters we could often outscore an opponent (in spite of a suspect defense) - especially in the A-10. Not so against stronger teams. Last year was a very weak year for the A-10 - and we flamed out.

Tel me how many shutouts we will have - and I will tell you if we will have a good season.
Old 04-22-2016, 12:47 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Except for that brain fart against NKU, we had a pretty successful spring. bodes well for the fall
Old 04-23-2016, 12:10 AM

Thanked 17,098 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah not sure about that NKU game. We gave up 5 goals in the second half which sounds like the implosions of the last couple years on defense and often these scrimmages are wrought with weird lineups and experimentation. But other than that I did like the results. But, Waters was playing and she wont be in the fold this year. She was down in Houston working out with the Dash a few weeks ago.

Im on the same page as ud69. If the defense is the same-o, nothing changes. In fact, things get worse because we wont be nearly as good on offense this season. So the defense must not just be improved, but substantially so. Will be interesting to see what kind of adjustments Tucker makes in the offseason.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 05-13-2016, 02:44 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Were we not an at-large in 2002? That is a year when - as was pointed out - we won virtually everything except the A-10 final (loss to URI).
Hmmm, I missed this. Dayton and Rhody were both at larges in 2002 and Richmond won the automatic bid.