Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-24-2016, 05:30 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
2017 setter

Unless I am wrong, we will have potential setters Jane Emmeneker as a Senior, Brooke Westbeld as a redshirt freshmen and Maria Schorr as a true freshmen next season. Who will play the most sets at setter? Will Brooke be shifted to OH? (at least for one season).

Also, what is the status of Olivia Dubay? Was she also a redshirt and expected back next year?
Advertisement
Old 12-25-2016, 09:10 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
With Maria appearing to have grown from 5'9" to 5'11"' the plot certainly thickens at setter. Jane will certainly top the depth chart, but she will be challenged and she needs to work her backside off this off-season to keep the starting job. Schorr has an excellent reputation as a prep setter. She has started since her freshman year on a team that won back-to-back state championships in Indiana and her junior year her high school team was ranked #1 nationally and awarded the mythical National Championship. Westbeld is a top 25 recruit (23) and will have a redshirt year in UDs program. Fletmeier and Krabacher did that and it turned out well for both those players. Each were All-Americans and played professionally overseas after graduating from UD.

We have never been deeper at setter than this coming year. Because of that, it would not surprise me if we see Brooke at Rightside OH next year. I expect Jamie to be moved into a 6-rotation left OH this spring. all 3 of our OHs have hit from both the left and right pins. I thought Lauren played well too. I t hint it's safe to say we have never been deeper at OH this next year too.

And Sierra blocked well out of the middle. She will get into the weight room this off-season and will get stronger. She will push Amber and Kendyll in the fall.

At L/DS we are deep too. I think Margo has the Libero position locked down, but Maggie played great and Lauren and Jordan both made solid contributions. And we have Emily Broerman coming in looking to compete for playing time. Very deep in the back row too.

Competition is good and we will have every position and player battling for playing time. No one can take the off season off. Everyone will have to get better to keep their job. We will be a better team next year. That's exciting.
Old 12-25-2016, 02:22 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
We have another top setter coming in the 2019 class, from Luthern South HS St. Louis.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/6182762/livie-sandt

https://twitter.com/livie_sandt2?lang=en
Old 12-25-2016, 07:25 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
We also have 5'10" Bridget Doherty from Overland Park, Ks coming in the 2017 class. She is a 3-time all-state setter.

Lots of setter options.
Old 12-31-2016, 01:40 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
Setters - second thoughts

I may be wrong, but I thought some NCAA div 1 teams have played with a two setter offense. Any chance TH would try this out this spring?

Would this be an advantage against taller, good blocking opponents?

This may be crazy, but then I am the guy who thinks Lauren and Jamie could make the women's basketball team.
Old 12-31-2016, 07:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
You can play with two setters but really don't want to. I think this would usually happen when a team had two setters who were really short and you wanted to substitute a taller player for them in the front row. It uses up a lot of substitutions in a long set.

There is usually a noticeable difference in how two setters set the ball. If you are hitting balls from both setters it can throw off your timing.

I agree that Lauren and Jamie could probably make the women's bball team, just judging on athleticism.