Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Football

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-06-2017, 02:39 PM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
Ranking the PFL Non-Conference Schedules

Since I posted this on the PFL forum, I thought I would cut/paste it here as well. Can you tell I'm gearing up for the 2017 season?

Since I had a little time on my hands, I thought I would check out some of the non-conference schedules for the other (non-Flyer) PFL teams. In doing so, I found the different scheduling approaches interesting. Just for kicks, I decided to "rank" the various non-conference schedules from most to least challenging. Obviously, this is entirely subjective and there were a number of "close calls." Feel free to critique/comment.

1. Drake: South Dakota (FCS); Southwestern College (NAIA); South Dakota St. (FCS)

2. Stetson: Sacred Heart (FCS); Dartmouth (FCS); Brown (FCS)

3. Dayton: Robert Morris (FCS); SEMO (FCS); Duquesne (FCS)

4. Marist: Bucknell (FCS); Georgetown (FCS); Columbia (FCS)

5. San Diego: Western New Mexico (D-II); UC Davis (FCS); Princeton (FCS)

6. Valpo: Montana (FCS); Duquesne (FCS); Trinity International (NAIA)

7. Campbell: Methodist (D-III) ; Georgetown (FCS); Presbyterian (FCS)

8. Morehead St.: Kentucky Christian (NAIA); Liberty (FCS); Austin Peay (FCS)

9. Jacksonville: Mercer (FCS); Walsh Univ. (D-II); Guilford College (D-III)

10. Butler: Ill. State (FCS); Franklin College (D-III); Taylor Univ. (NAIA)

11. Davidson: Brevard College (D-III); Western Carolina (FCS); Guilford College (D-III)
Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (06-08-2017)
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2017, 10:37 AM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
Davidson has to get some wins from somewhere...right...maybe?

Go Flyers!
Old 06-07-2017, 01:26 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Drake sure upgraded their OOC schedule by playing the S. Dakota teams, and the Griz will be a load for Valpo
Old 06-07-2017, 01:47 PM
1st Lieutenant

NYFLYERFAN is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Cardsflyer View Post
Davidson has to get some wins from somewhere...right...maybe?

Go Flyers!
lol can't believe there's not an FCS team willing to travel to the Harvard of the South to get a W!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2017, 04:33 PM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
UD62: Drake's scheduling is the one that I just don't quite get. I certainly understand scheduling one Missouri Valley heavy-weight, but why two? They did something similar in 2015 (North & South Dakota), and they got physically beaten up in those 2 games in a way that impacted the rest of their season. This will be something to watch for this year, particularly since the Flyers travel to Des Moines in Week 6.

For me, the perfect OOC schedule would be: 1 game against an FCS heavy-weight; 1 game against a solid, but beatable, FCS opponent; and 1 game against a weaker FCS team that you think you will likely beat.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (06-08-2017), Lurking Dog (06-07-2017)
Old 06-07-2017, 07:29 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerIllini View Post
UD62: Drake's scheduling is the one that I just don't quite get. I certainly understand scheduling one Missouri Valley heavy-weight, but why two? They did something similar in 2015 (North & South Dakota), and they got physically beaten up in those 2 games in a way that impacted the rest of their season. This will be something to watch for this year, particularly since the Flyers travel to Des Moines in Week 6.

For me, the perfect OOC schedule would be: 1 game against an FCS heavy-weight; 1 game against a solid, but beatable, FCS opponent; and 1 game against a weaker FCS team that you think you will likely beat.

Agree with your scheduling plan. We have done fairly well against the so called heavyweights(considering the uneven match up going in) We got smoked against ISU but played well against YSU and Western Illinois. It really is an uphill battle for the Flyers and teams like the Flyers. In most cases out opponent is bigger, faster and stronger than we are. and for sure there are more of them and we get worn down. Kudos for SDU their playoff win, it can be done, not likely in most cases, but possible.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:11 PM
1st Lieutenant

Lurking Dog is an unknown quantity at this point
Just curious...are the Flyers returning the SEMO game at some point? (or is UD obligated for more than one game at SEMO?)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:47 AM
Captain

LD: When I heard about the SEMO game (before it was announced), I wasn't told that there would be a return game. I could be wrong, but the way I understood it, this is just a one-time thing based on open dates on schedules.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:51 PM
1st Lieutenant

NYFLYERFAN is on a distinguished road
I thought Flyers traveling to SEMO next season? Would love to see Flyers continue with one Or two NEC schools like they currently do. Maybe mix it up a bit within the NEC and schedule an Ivy.
Posted via Mobile Device