UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-09-2018, 03:54 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
UConn at Dayton

UConn announced its non-con schedule for 2019-2020....that's next season.

The Huskies will play at the Arena as part of its most difficult 13 game non-con schedule in program history. Seeing Dayton's name among the list of opponents was thrilling...and a great opportunity for the Flyers.

UConn is coming off a decade of having some of the best players ever to play women's college basketball. But, those days are coming to a close in my opinion. This year's UConn team will be led by two All Americans, both seniors.....but there is relatively little talent (for UConn) behind those two....no All Americans.

That means Dayton is getting a shot at UConn at an opportune time. I don't know how good we'll be next year. But the UConn team that travels to Dayton will be nothing like the UConn teams of the past decade...pretty good, no doubt, but not a Top 10 club, as I see it.

UConn visiting will provide a chance to show off our Arena to a large TV audience...and winning would be great. Go Flyers!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (10-10-2018), jaburr91 (10-09-2018), Medford (10-09-2018)
Advertisement
Old 10-09-2018, 04:10 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
certainly this is a great opportunity for the Flyers, but when you say a "large" TV audience, what kind of ratings does UConn generate when playing a program that isn't regularly in the final 4? Is it guaranteed that this game even gets picked up nationally?

Not trying to knock, I'm generally interested in how a random UConn's women's game compares to a random UConn men's game (or perhaps exchange the Uconn's men's program for Duke) or a random UD men's game. Is this for certain going to be on national TV? If so, it would give UD the chance to pimp its women's program a bit to alum...I'd tune in.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sure both UConn and UD would promote it using the elite 8 game where UD led at half.
Old 10-09-2018, 05:54 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
TV plus

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
certainly this is a great opportunity for the Flyers, but when you say a "large" TV audience, what kind of ratings does UConn generate when playing a program that isn't regularly in the final 4? Is it guaranteed that this game even gets picked up nationally?

Not trying to knock, I'm generally interested in how a random UConn's women's game compares to a random UConn men's game (or perhaps exchange the Uconn's men's program for Duke) or a random UD men's game. Is this for certain going to be on national TV? If so, it would give UD the chance to pimp its women's program a bit to alum...I'd tune in.
Med. I was using the word "large" in the context of women's basketball. All UConn games are televised regionally and many nationally. However it turns out, the TV audience will be well above Dayton's average.

Out goal is a nationally prominent women's program. We got a whiff of that in our Elite 8 year. UConn on our schedule has great PR value as regards scheduling other high level opponents and recruiting. Most likely attendance will be higher than usual and the joint will be rockin. Coach Greene will probably have a recruit or two at the Arena.

A competitive game would be a very good thing for our program. And with the unique support of Flyer BB fans I see no reason why Dayton's women's BB cannot be a regular Top 25 program. To get there we've got to recruit good players, schedule top teams, always be among the top few A10 teams, get to the Dance regularly....and, most important, win.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Medford (10-10-2018)
Old 10-09-2018, 05:58 PM

UConn take...

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
I'm sure both UConn and UD would promote it using the elite 8 game where UD led at half.
Auriemma raved about that Dayton team. 'They were really, really good", he said. That's why UConn was willing to sign the three game deal with the Flyers.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:59 AM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
Can't wait for this season and then this bit of good news. Looking up for our Flyer program. We will have our Vanderbilt transfer available next year too. Losing Dennis, Cannatelli and Parkinson will be big losses, but the returning core, the freshmen and our transfers should make us competitive against UCONN.

Go Flyers!
Mad Props to Cardsflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (10-10-2018)