User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 10:38 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Mississippi State Thoughts

-For all the hand ringing on AG or certain players I think a lot of what happened last night was bad luck with Matos being out and Josh being sick. I'm not sure to what degree it hurt Josh's play but I'm assuming if he's coming off the bench he was limited to a degree from the food poisoning.

Dayton still had a chance and should have won the game but I don't this team has a big enough margin of error to have anything less than full go from their best player against a Top 25. I'm not sure how much a difference Matos would have made with Mikesell playing well but it's a net negative not having his defense off of the bench.

-This team really lacks someone to take the big or clutch shot. The shot that the team really needs to break a scoring drought or in a close game. In the past that was a Scoochie or Sibert.

When the game I think was 53-53 and Weatherspoon hit the 3 with a hand in his face. Who's taking that shot for Dayton right now late in a close game?

-I don't know if Jordan Davis is hurt or in a Paul Williams like slump but we really need to get him going. Chirs R & others disagree but if he was shooting the ball well and playing better on the offense the complexion of the last 3 games completely changes
Advertisement
Old 12-01-2018, 11:04 AM
Captain

Don is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to beholdDon is a splendid one to behold
Let's get a grip

Before the season started, would you have been happy if the
Flyers went 9-4 in the non-conference and 11-7 in conference, for a 20-11 season after last year's fiasco? I know I would have. So far we've won 1 of the three games that figured to be our five toughest non-cons. So, we appear to be on track for 9-4 through December. With the performance we've seen thus far by other A10 teams, and from what I've seen so far from the Flyers, I thinking we may exceed 11-7 in the conference. Where does that put us? With what I would consider a very satisfying season.
We have not yet suffered a "bad loss." Did you notice MSU had 6 players on their roster who stood 6-10 or taller? Not to mention four more who were 6-7 or 6-8. And they were quick as hell to boot! Granted they weren't the best shooters we'll see but they at least made their FTs.....something we couldn't do.
In all three of our losses so far, we were the underdog, both in terms of national ranking and in terms of recruited talent out of high school.
Let's save the "sky is falling" rhetoric for the "bad losses", like Hofstra or ODU at home or LaSalle by 18.
We're a young team that is getting better and actually doing better than most of us expected in October.
If we hit the 20 win mark I think we'll be an NIT team and I won't be at all unhappy with that for this rebuilding season.
The glass really is half full!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Don For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (12-01-2018), jack72 (12-01-2018), SeasonTicketFan (12-01-2018)
Old 12-01-2018, 11:19 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
A Big Loss

How difficult it is to prepare for the game against the 25th ranked Mississippi State Bulldogs
at home and you realize that your best player cannot practice for the game and will not start.
The Flyers suffered an unnecessary home loss and sub-par offensive games from Landers, Davis and Crutcher as a result. This was a win Dayton needed and the A-10 conference needed. Kudos to Ryan Mikesell for trying to carry the offense on an otherwise off night by his brothers. The reality now is that this Flyer team, except for the upset of Butler, is not playing up to the expected standards of the program. AG and staff have much work to do to end the losing and redirect this team. This looks like a season that will render the A-10 a one NCAA bid conference. There will be no building an at-large resume this year just a title to be won. That will be difficult to do for a team unable to defend home turf. For now I must find a way to purge from my memory a 21-3 run by the Dawgs at the UD Arena at games end against Flyer
team that espouses defense.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:52 AM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Yelp gave a gift away. Doesn't look like Miss. St. will be on the 2019 Flyers "Revenge Tour" or another other year's as the Bulldogs are done playing the Flyers. Howland, as the kids say, was "scurred".

SDN:
http://starkvilledailynews.com/node/125065

Howland knew the Bulldogs would have a tough time at UD Arena. After a pair of close wins over the Flyers the last two seasons, he told his counterpart during the postgame handshake that he'd had enough.

"I was really questioning what I was thinking by scheduling Dayton," Howland said. "I told him when I shook his hand that we're not playing them anymore."

Last edited by Ready Action; 12-01-2018 at 11:54 AM..
Old 12-01-2018, 01:32 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Hmm, I guess he does not want to possibly lose a game. Hey Howland, call Coppin. Total B5 nonsense.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:09 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Ben Howland

is a great coach building another great program at Mississippi State. The Dayton Flyer program
should be very grateful for the home/home series just concluded. Here's hoping they win the remainder of their regular season games.
Old 12-01-2018, 02:18 PM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
anyone can win 20 games by beating meatballs all day, Butler quality win yes ! other than that we have lost or played teams with RPI of like 300, so lets win some games against decent opponents some more before u think everything is fixed
Old 12-01-2018, 02:26 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Sometimes you have to acknowledge that the opponents have talent. Virginia, Oklahoma and Mississippi State are very good teams that have talent and depth. In all three cases, the depth wore down UD. Mississippi State played poorly in the first half. UD has something to do with that. They shot the ball poorly even when they had open looks. Often defense has something to do with that. UD played a strong first half

Mississippi State, like Virginia and Oklahoma stepped up at the end of the game. I don’t think ID choked. They had to play perfect at the end of the game to win, yet they were low on gas.
Posted via Mobile Device