Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Things (and People) I'm going to Miss
Things (and People) I'm going to Miss
John Mad Dog Churan
Published by John C.
03-04-2008
Unhappy Things (and People) I'm going to Miss

CHANDLER (AZ) -- I can’t believe it, but this Saturday will be my last game as a UD season ticket holder. It’s been 22 years of ups and downs, but 22 years of enjoyment, no matter what. I’ve been in Arizona for the last 10 days in my new job, but I will be back for the crucial game against St. Joes. I’m looking forward to it, but at the same time, it’s going to be tough walking out of the Arena that last time. Yes, I might be back at some time but it just isn’t going to be the same.

Because of this high paying job as a writer for UDPride.com, I have been able to get a view of the University that few outside the inner circles get. I’ve gotten one on one time with Oliver Purnell, Brian Gregory, Jaci Clark, Jim Jabir, Tony Vittorio, Todd Linklater and Tim Horsmon. I’ve interviewed each of them and did in depth articles on not only their coaching styles but also who they were as people. I’ve interviewed numerous athletes and found them all to be special kids, willing to open up their souls to some guy they had never met other than on the opposite side of a long distance call.

There is something special about the people at UD just as there is something special about UD itself. The experiences that I have had as a season ticket holder and writer for UDPride will be something that I will never forget. I’m going to miss doing some things, but I certainly will never forget the people involved.

Gary McCans (Premium Seating Director)—Gary has always been my go to guy when it came to tickets. I had been a season ticket holder for several years in the nose bleed area of the Arena when my ticker order somehow got messed up. It was too late to get my normal tickets, but Gary took care of me and I got the opportunity to sit next to Alice Daniels one night that led to a relationship that will last forever. Gary didn’t care that I wasn’t a big time contributor, he cared that I was a UD fan.

Doug Hauschild (Director of Media Relations)—How do you do the same job for over 25 years? You do it better every year, that’s how. I was able to interview Doug one year and found out that although his job sounded like a lot of fun, it was about 70 hours of work every week, too. If you have never had the opportunity to meet the guy please make sure you say hi because he is as nice as they come. He’ll be the one running around the arena before the start of every game.

Ted Kissell (UD Vice President/Director of Athletics)—I didn’t always agree with everything Ted did, but you have got to give the guy credit. UD is at the peak of its athletic success. It didn’t get there by chance. Ted had help, but he is the orchestra leader. There was never a time that I couldn’t sit down with Ted and talk UD sports as he always made time.

James Brothers (Associate Athletics Director)—James has always been that guy that remembered who I was even before I was anybody (not that I am, anybody). I have yet to catch this guy in a down day.

Jim Jabir (Woman’s Head Basketball Coach)—Either Jim is one of the greatest actors on earth or one of the nicest guys. I’m sure some of his players might not agree with me after a particularly tough practice, but Jim will always be one of my favorites.

Tony Vittorio (Head Baseball Coach)—If you ever want to find out what a baseball player was like during Babe Ruth’s time, go talk to Tony. This guy just loves the sport and teaches it the right way. He may not win the College World Series but it won’t be for lack of effort.

Todd Linklater (Associate Head Baseball Coach)—I have met a number of great coaches at UD and other places but there is none that I would feel better about leaving one of my sons with to learn about life and how to play a sport.

Tim Horsmon (Former Head Volleyball Coach)—I know he is gone already, but I’ll miss him anyway. Despite his success, Tim was the guy next door that you could have a beer with and discuss whatever came up. Of all the coaches that leave UD, he will be the first to win a National Championship.

Dr. Dan Curran (UD President)—Truly a man with a vision. Obviously busy, but he always seems to show up at some UD sport. He must forget who he is a lot, because he treats everyone like he’s a buddy from a long time ago. He always has time to talk, no matter what the circumstances.

Linda Waltz (Woman’s Basketball Administrative Assistant)—You only know Linda if you stop by the office, but she is as sweet as the day is long.

Rudy (Mascot)—Not sure if the guy could be any uglier, but for the last 22 years, he is the friendliest guy in the Arena. Can’t dance as well as he did back in the 90’s, but we all get a little older.

Chris R. (formally known as Notre Dame Fan)—Not really going to miss him, but just angling for a raise. I remember when Chris started his one man show a number of years ago and I remember saying to myself that he must not have a girlfriend. Obviously I was right, but that’s another story. He has made a mountain out of the mole hill he started a decade ago. Where would we all be without the always FREE UDpride.com discussion groups and the rest of this fine site?

UD Arena—What else can I say? The building is home to one of the best group of fans in this country. Don’t talk to me about Ohio State and Kentucky and Alabama in their respective sports. UD basketball is Dayton and the fans know it. They will come from far and wide to follow their Flyers, no matter what the record or the opponent. Without the Arena, where would we all go on Saturday night?

UD Campus—Even though I was only a student there for the briefest of times, it still is a special place for me. I still walk by Wohleben Hall and remember meeting Nancy O’Brien there (my first college love, didn’t go anywhere, but let’s don’t ruin the story). The place has changed a great deal since I went there, but it has only gotten better.

Milano’s—Certainly different than the old days, but still a great place with more memories than I can count.

Marion’s Piazza—Nothing to do with UD, but my favorite pizza in the world. Always would take my high school dates there and dab the grease off the pizza so I wouldn’t get any more zits. So much for that theory.

Volleyball games—I know Horsmon is gone, but this team is stacked with more talent coming in. I have never seen a Dayton team of any kind completely dominate league foes like this group. Not sure who the coach will be, but take one of these matches in. You will get immediately hooked, even if you don’t know the first thing about the sport.

My old house (growing up)—I haven’t been in it for 30 years but would love one last look. I always drive by hoping it is for sale so I can act like a buyer and bring back 1,000,000 memories.

Calvary Cemetery—My parents, grandparents and aunts and uncles are all buried there. I always like to stop by every few years and have a conversation with my parents.

Museum of Natural History, the Arcade, Air Force Museum, Triangle Park, Queen of Martyrs’ Elementary School and Church, Chaminade HS, Downtown Dayton, Dayton Mall—These are all special in their own way. Some are better than they used to be, others aren’t even open. I’ll miss the opportunity to stop by if I wish.

It’s not like I’m dying or anything, but living just 90 minutes from Dayton always gave me the opportunity to come back whenever I wished. Being over 2,000 miles away makes it a little different. Maybe I’ll splurge every once in a while and take a vacation to Dayton (I bet you never said those words all in the same sentence.)

I know I made the right decision for both myself and my family when I decided to move to Chandler, but that doesn’t mean that it will be easy. I’m going to root from afar and hopefully watch the Flyers now and then in person (Baseball and volleyball will both be here next year.), but it just won’t be the same hopping in the car and driving 90 minutes to lend my support. Somebody needs to pick up the slack.

Dayton, I’ll miss you.
Article Tools
By swish61 on 03-05-2008, 04:29 AM
A great article. Touched my heart, especially the part about Calvary. I too, have family there and do the same thing you described. I can only imagine what it would be like leaving Dayton, as I have lived here all my 47 years. Good luck, and God Bless.
By BeckysTXA on 03-06-2008, 11:20 AM
John, your's will be big shoes to fill, but we'll make sure volleyball is covered! Thanks for all you've done and best of everything to you and your family in AZ. Jay lived in Chandler a couple years when he played for the Cardinals. It's a very nice area and you and your boys will love all the sporting event the town has to offer.
By Flyer 86 on 03-06-2008, 11:52 AM
Best of Luck mad Dog. best wishes in the Southwest!
Comment

Article Tools