UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 02-23-2019, 07:17 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
TBT - circa 2007

Back in 2007, UD hosted SLU in one of the best volleyball matches I have ever attended. In the fifth set of the match there was a rally were the ball traveled over the net 29 times. UD won the point and went on to win the match 3-2. TH coached that match and did something I’ve never seen before or since. He placed L Adrienne Green back in serve receive - as the only player in serve receive. SLU was a great serving team, and he made sure they had to serve it to our best serve receive player. Adrienne did an amazing job passing their serves.

The marathon, 29-times-over-the-net-point ended up making ESPN Sports Center’s highlights. Back in 2007 there wasn’t a lot of internet streaming of matches and almost zero coverage of the sport on TV, making this even more impressive. I remember seeing players in the hallway after the match and they were drenched in sweat and totally spent.

A lot of posters on the vball thread today didn’t follow Volleyball back then. I’ve tried to locate a clip of that marathon point, but haven’t been able to find one. If anyone finds it or has it, please post it. It’s amazing. Maybe UD Volleyball can post it on the teams twitter page. It’s a classic part of UDs volleyball history.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (02-23-2019), Lifelong Flyer Fan (02-23-2019), udisit19 (02-25-2019)
Advertisement
Old 02-25-2019, 09:30 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
UD had this whole match archived on its website (or the A-10 website) for a few years, but the video was taken down. During that time I watched the match a bunch of times. I bet UD or the A-10 has the clip and the whole match, but I'm not sure we will be able to find it.

The match, and the play, were both epic. Maybe the best sports I've ever had the privilege of watching in person.

For a little more context, at the end of the 2006 season, Dayton was the favorite to win the A-10 tournament, being held in Dayton, but Saint Louis prevailed in a very tough loss for the Flyers. Then 2007 starts with the Flyers winning 13 straight matches and earning a #18 ranking. Dayton finished the non-con schedule unbeaten and the first match of the A-10 conference for Dayton was a home game against SLU.

This game ended up being the classic it was because both teams felt like they had something to prove. Dayton finally got the rematch they wanted against the team that won the championship on their home court, while Saint Louis had the opportunity to give Dayton its first loss and maybe become ranked as well.

The first 4 sets were all as close as possible with only 2 points separating each team. (29-31 30-28 30-28 28-30 15-12). The play you mentioned happened around the 5 point mark in the 5th set. I think Chelsy Christoff stepped back to serve. Her serve was not a running but a standing serve and she stood almost at the student section. The band was in the building and there was a final drum hit, and then the whole building feel silent. She hit a floating serve that started tailing away from SLU's back line player. SLU just barely got to it, but they returned the ball in a way that UD struggled as well, thus beginning the long rally you mentioned. I think it finished with an exhausted Jamie Lee Richards just barely getting a couple of fingers on it at the net. It kind of rolled along the top of the net for a few feet before failing just on the other side of the net. In the 5th Dayton held a 12-9 lead and it almost felt like Dayton would get the win with a little breathing room. Then, SLU scored 3 straight points to tie the match at 12. Dayton would score the next three points after the entire crowd got on their feet.

I did find this video. Its quality is not great, nor does it include the long rally. But in a couple of the plays you can sense just how edge of the seat entertaining this game was. The video does include the very end of the last point. You can see the excitement in the Flyers and the UD fans when they know the ball is going to find the ground. I love seeing the SLU players all turn around and scramble because they all played too close to the net. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pL71s7pex_8

Last edited by udisit19; 02-25-2019 at 02:56 PM..
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (02-25-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 10:28 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I’m hoping UD athletics posts it somewhere and we can pick it up again. Classic match. The tOSU 5-set match in the NCAAs in 2010 to go to the Sweet 16 was probably the second best match and a classic too. We just didn’t win that one. I’d like to see a video clip of that entire match too.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:45 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Yeah I was standing in the end zone and didnt have the camera rolling on the big rally.

In the vball office, there's a giant mural on the wall of the celebration after this point. I think they call it "The Point" and have a description of the rally and the match within it. Probably the most amazing UD sporting circumstance Ive ever seen in any sport. Not saying its as important as Vee Sanford beating OSU or WBB making the Elite 8, but it was individually a more impressive sequence. I doubt 1 in 100,000 college volleyball rallies meets or exceeds 29 exchanges over the net. Nevermind in a ranked match with all the conference marbles on the line.

I think at one time I tried to see if the ath. dept had footage of this but didnt get anywhere. If I get time I will try again.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (02-26-2019)
Old 02-25-2019, 11:20 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
daytonflyers.com recap of the match:

https://daytonflyers.com/news/2007/9...px?path=wvball
Old 02-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
If you do want footage of an important and long rally. Look no further than this rally for match point between Dayton and Xavier, with the A-10 Championship on the line in Pittsburgh from 2012.

The rally is not as long, but some of the saves are just as good. And the video quality is superb. At one point, Xavier makes a save so good on Alaina Turner, fans almost start celebrating. The ball crosses the net about 14 times. Its no 29, and Dayton does have a comfortable lead, but both teams are giving 100 %.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut743MOHIsc
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (02-26-2019)