UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 12-13-2014, 11:51 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
Well said Ruelchagrin. As Flyer fans we owe 75-90% of the post- JOB turnaround to OP and his diamond in the rough successful recruitment of Ryan Perryman.
I hate to burst your bubble, but Perryman was an O'Brien recruit. But I don't disagree about Purnell's good work in rebuilding the program.
Advertisement
Old 12-13-2014, 01:07 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Fly View Post
I hate to burst your bubble, but Perryman was an O'Brien recruit. But I don't disagree about Purnell's good work in rebuilding the program.
That may be but who's watch did he sign on the dotted line with?

Thats an honest question, my first few years following the team are hazy as i wasn't a die-hard yet. The first year i went to a game was the year Chip Jones was kicked off the team and i believe they lost a game early in that year to Arizona.

Is there anywhere that all past Flyer box scores and stats are listed? I'd like to go back through and actually see when my fandom started. The earliest names i remember are Chip Hare,Marco Pikaar,Derrick Dukes,Alex Robertson, i still vividly remember my Big Brother (who introduced me to UD) would just shake his head every time Chip Hare fired up a 3.
Old 12-13-2014, 01:37 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
I'm pretty sure Perryman, Rodney Horton, Mike McCray and Jeff Brookins comprised O'Brien's last or next-to-last recruiting class. Horton was a top 100 recruit and Perryman was top 150. But most of their significant playing time came under Purnell.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:09 PM

Thanked 6,617 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ruechalgrin View Post
I have a soft spot in my heart for DePaul. When we were left in the MCC, Depaul acted like it was choosing between the Great Midwest and A-10 and said the A-10 needed to extend an invite to Dayton for them to consider joining it.

St. Louis and Marquette ran away from us as quick as possible whereas Depaul stood by us. I root for them in every game. OP was a great coach and turned UD around is another reason to root for them. They have my respect.

We should not forget Marquette and St. Louis abandoned us while Depaul stood by us.
That is the first time I have heard any of that story. Not sure where you heard it. It doesn't even make sense. UD joined the Great Midwest before it joined the A-10. DePaul is the one who screwed up the MCC in the first place by refusing to join. The story I heard was that DePaul was instrumental in helping to form the Great Midwest and was instrumental in getting St Louis and Marquette to leave the MCC for the Great Midwest. Then a couple years later UD screwed over Duquesne and LaSalle (who had just joined the MCC) by leaving them in a depleted MCC and joining the Great Midwest. I find it hard to believe that DePaul considered the A-10 as opposed to joining Conference USA, which is the conference UD was left out of, and where all the other Great Midwest teams went. DePaul screwed us over every bit as much as Marquette and St Louis did. I have no soft spot for DePaul whatsoever.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:35 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
That is the first time I have heard any of that story. Not sure where you heard it. It doesn't even make sense. UD joined the Great Midwest before it joined the A-10. DePaul is the one who screwed up the MCC in the first place by refusing to join. The story I heard was that DePaul was instrumental in helping to form the Great Midwest and was instrumental in getting St Louis and Marquette to leave the MCC for the Great Midwest. Then a couple years later UD screwed over Duquesne and LaSalle (who had just joined the MCC) by leaving them in a depleted MCC and joining the Great Midwest. I find it hard to believe that DePaul considered the A-10 as opposed to joining Conference USA, which is the conference UD was left out of, and where all the other Great Midwest teams went. DePaul screwed us over every bit as much as Marquette and St Louis did. I have no soft spot for DePaul whatsoever.
Meant before Depaul joined Conference USA (sorry). A number of UD sources at the time stated explicitly that Depaul really helped Dayton's case with the A-10. And longtimefan, here is an article in the Chicago Tribune in 1994 about Depaul joining the A-10. Depaul kept up this charade and helped us get in. They absolutely did not screw us like Marquette and St. Louis did. See the quotes from the article. So what you found hard to believe is fact ....
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...ecific-schools

Last edited by ruechalgrin; 12-13-2014 at 08:41 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (12-15-2014), rollo (12-14-2014), Viperstick (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 08:39 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Doesn't really matter who did what. We were so god awful in every sport but football that no conference in their right mind would have considered Dayton as an asset. Picked a really bad time to suck at everything.
Old 12-13-2014, 08:47 PM

ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Other articles citing Depaul trying to help Dayton in 1994.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...t-midwest-paul

http://articles.philly.com/1994-11-1...idwest-fordham

Shall I continue longtimefan or do you concede?

Depaul was the most ethical partner to Dayton and went out of its way to help us in 1994. Marquette and St. Louis abandoned us.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-16-2014), Viperstick (12-13-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Doesn't really matter who did what. We were so god awful in every sport but football that no conference in their right mind would have considered Dayton as an asset. Picked a really bad time to suck at everything.
Without Depaul helping us, we likely would be in the Horizon League right now ...
Old 12-13-2014, 09:04 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Without Depaul helping us, we likely would be in the Horizon League right now ...
That's possible, we weren't very marketable back then
Old 12-13-2014, 09:59 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
At halftime of the SLU game tonight they interviewed Dr. Fred Postello, the new top dog in St. Louis. He came across OK.

And did anyone see the VCU/No Iowa game tonight? VCU won in double OT. Lots of hustle from both teams.
Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-13-2014, 10:18 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Full slate today

Scores for 12/13/14

A-10 results:
Dayton 55 @ Arkansas 69
La Salle 65 @ Drexel 55
St Bonaventure 54 @ Pitt 58
Delaware State 44 @ Rhode Island 83
Canisius 58 @ UMass 75
Duquesne 59 @ Robert Morris 75
Howard 41 @ Richmond 54
#23 Northern Iowa 87 @ VCU 93 (2OT)
Niagara 58 @ Davidson 78
SIU Edwardsville 61 @ St Louis 67

OOC opponents:
Youngstown state 63 @ Texas A&M 81
Cleveland State 57 @ Bowling green 67
Western Kentucky 81 @ Ole Miss 74

Old 12-13-2014, 11:43 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Meant before Depaul joined Conference USA (sorry). A number of UD sources at the time stated explicitly that Depaul really helped Dayton's case with the A-10. And longtimefan, here is an article in the Chicago Tribune in 1994 about Depaul joining the A-10. Depaul kept up this charade and helped us get in. They absolutely did not screw us like Marquette and St. Louis did. See the quotes from the article. So what you found hard to believe is fact ....
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...ecific-schools
Note also how our "friends" down south voiced objection to our being included in the A-10, contrary to everything we've been fed that the southern Jesuits were and have been our staunchest ally. This article supports how current events have played out.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:54 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Other articles citing Depaul trying to help Dayton in 1994.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...t-midwest-paul

http://articles.philly.com/1994-11-1...idwest-fordham
Thanks for the articles. I don't believe it was reported that way in the DDN. But DePaul did help destroy the MCC by refusing to join, assisting in the creation of the Great Midwest, and convincing Marquette and St Louis to leave the MCC for the Great Midwest. The MCC would have been a heck of a conference with Marquette, St Louis, DePaul, Xavier, Dayton, Butler, Evansville, Detroit, and Loyola. Also, it was reported a few years later that DePaul, Marquette, Charlotte, and St Louis of Conference USA had an agreement to stick together, but Marquette and DePaul bolted for the Big East leaving Charlotte and St Louis behind. That is when Charlotte and St Louis joined the A-10. I don't think anyone had clean hands in that whole mess.
Old 12-14-2014, 11:41 PM
General

Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Sunday's games

Results for 12/14/14

A-10 scores:
George Washington 51 @ Penn State 64
Fordhan 53 @ #24 St John's 74

OOC opponents
Alabama A&M 55 @ Virginia Tech 65
Coppin State 85 @ UConn 106
Quinnipiac 68 @ Boston U 71
Binghamton 49 @ Boston College 63
In the battle for southwest Ohio:
Miami (OH) 59 @ Wright state 69

Old 12-15-2014, 08:49 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
Results for 12/14/14

A-10 scores:
George Washington 51 @ Penn State 64
Fordhan 53 @ #24 St John's 74

Wow GW! Penn St just squeaked by Duquesne at home.
Old 12-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Lieutenant General

bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Wow GW! Penn St just squeaked by Duquesne at home.
Hard to figure that one out. I think GW was a slight favorite in Vegas.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:20 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Thanks for the articles. I don't believe it was reported that way in the DDN. But DePaul did help destroy the MCC by refusing to join, assisting in the creation of the Great Midwest, and convincing Marquette and St Louis to leave the MCC for the Great Midwest. The MCC would have been a heck of a conference with Marquette, St Louis, DePaul, Xavier, Dayton, Butler, Evansville, Detroit, and Loyola. Also, it was reported a few years later that DePaul, Marquette, Charlotte, and St Louis of Conference USA had an agreement to stick together, but Marquette and DePaul bolted for the Big East leaving Charlotte and St Louis behind. That is when Charlotte and St Louis joined the A-10. I don't think anyone had clean hands in that whole mess.

I remember that time, when although UD was pi$$ poor BB wise, we were left high and dry for the most part. It certainly was a stunner. However, I think we left a conference (can't remember which one) the year after LaSalle joined that very same conference because we were there! There coach was PO'd at us because of it. [Someone can help with the details here if they want!]

Goes to show that all Catholics don't always play nice TOGETHER. And the saga continues in the nBE.

At the start of confession: Bless me Father for I have sinned.

Isn't the adult world grand?
Old 12-15-2014, 10:20 PM
General

Slow night

12/15/14

Finals week for many schools - not much basketball . . .

No A-10 games scheduled

OOC opponents:
U Tennessee-Martin 75 @ U Illinois-Chicago 69
Appalachian State 57 @ Georgia Tech 70

Old 12-15-2014, 10:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
What I recall from The Dark Ages:
-DePaul was a staunch ally, largely as part of the Meyer-Donoher legacy. Back in the 60's, UD & Donoher continued a home-and-home series with DePaul when UD was a national power & DePaul sucked. Then, when the shoe was on the other foot, Uncle Ray wouldn't let DePaul abandon UD (even though Donoher had been sacked by that point). IMHO, both Ray & Joey were class acts.
-UD was an integral part of the recruitment of Duquesne & LaSalle to the MCC, and then we bolted to the A-10 a year later. Can't say I blame anyone at either institution for being pi$$ex at us.
-Marquette was all too happy to leave us in the dust for the Great Midwest (even though we got in anyway), & then they were among the forces that "blackballed" us when C-USA was formed.

This isn't based on any research, mind you. Just 20+ year old memories from the darkest era of UDBB in my 52 years on this planet.
Posted via Mobile Device
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-16-2014), NJFlyr71 (12-16-2014), Tony T 71 (12-15-2014), Viperstick (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 07:33 AM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
..... and then we bolted to the A-10 a year later. Can't say I blame anyone at either institution for being pi$$ex at us.
Posted via Mobile Device
And the people at the University of Evansville still call us the "Dayton Liars" to this day!
Old 12-16-2014, 09:15 AM

Townie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud ofTownie has much to be proud of
Actually UD left the MCC for the Great MidWest. A move that didn't work so well.
Old 12-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
-DePaul was a staunch ally, largely as part of the Meyer-Donoher legacy. Back in the 60's, UD & Donoher continued a home-and-home series with DePaul when UD was a national power & DePaul sucked. Then, when the shoe was on the other foot, Uncle Ray wouldn't let DePaul abandon UD (even though Donoher had been sacked by that point). IMHO, both Ray & Joey were class acts.
Yes I remember Ray's last year of coaching and playing the game in the arena he was given special recognition (I would think rather rare then and now for an opposing HC) a ceremony in front of the crowd and IIRC a set of luggage and he joked about being able to travel now in his retirement. DePaul probably more than any of the 'other' Catholic programs was a true friend of UD.

-UD was an integral part of the recruitment of Duquesne & LaSalle to the MCC, and then we bolted to the A-10 a year later. Can't say I blame anyone at either institution for being pi$$ex at us.
-Marquette was all too happy to leave us in the dust for the Great Midwest (even though we got in anyway), & then they were among the forces that "blackballed" us when C-USA was formed.
Thank you! When I wrote my post I did not have the time to look all this up for the particulars. But you triggered the memories ... I forgot about the Dukes. That whole era seemed to be such a fog ... UD being an independant for so long, then going to a conference then moving one to another, then having everyone leave us hi and dry .... I truly believe some of the inferiority complex some have that post here is due to that period where UD wandered in the BB desert ....

This isn't based on any research, mind you. Just 20+ year old memories from the darkest era of UDBB in my 52 years on this planet.
Posted via Mobile Device
Your memory off the cuff was better than mine thank you!

And now back to our regularly scheduled thread Games of Note
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 02:25 PM
General

Thanked 1,266 Times in 784 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Methinks Bost College, Ole Miss, G Tech, Arkansas and B Green all need to win a lot and get near 1/2/3 place in their conferences for our RPI to get anywhere.

MAN, is the A10 a punching bag this year. Wow, it stinks!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:27 PM
General

Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
i'm gonna root for Davidson, along with us to Co Champion the A10 - as they could be an RPI booster favorite, should they continue to play well. ****!
Old 12-16-2014, 02:49 PM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Hard to figure that one out. I think GW was a slight favorite in Vegas.
Yes, that was an upset, GW was favored over Penn State by 2.5.

Penn State is 10-1, but they have only played 2 sub 100 rpi opponents, Charlotte and GW, and they lost to Charlotte. They also beat Southern Cal, Marshall, and Virginia Tech, three teams that are struggling this year.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Penn%20St..html

Boston U. is 3-6, the Flyers should be able to handle them.

Georgia Tech plays Vandy on Saturday, that game should tell us more about how good GT is.

Ole Miss may be a tough game, they beat Cincinnati by 12 on a neutral court.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:49 PM
Brigadier General

forego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond repute
Flyer86, I know there is both some humor for humor sake-- AND the humor of its conceivable truth in what you say.

Davidson

david... & goliath huh?

Well Curry was (is) no joke.
Old 12-16-2014, 02:54 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by forego1 View Post
Flyer86, I know there is both some humor for humor sake-- AND the humor of its conceivable truth in what you say.

Davidson

david... & goliath huh?

Well Curry was (is) no joke.
Davidson is no joke, all the computer models have Dayton losing at Davidson this year.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-17-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 03:02 PM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Davidson is no joke, all the computer models have Dayton losing at Davidson this year.
Davidson likes to run and gun...and the way our offense has played lately, that might be the right move.
Old 12-16-2014, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post
i'm gonna root for Davidson, along with us to Co Champion the A10 - as they could be an RPI booster favorite, should they continue to play well. ****!
Wow, you aren't kidding about Davidson, rpiforecast has Davidson WINNING the A10 this year, their projected final rpi is 30, they and VCU are the only projected at large bids out of the A10 this year.

Rpiforecast is projecting that Davidson goes 15-3 in the A10 this year.

I thought that Davidson would be better than almost all the pundits were saying, but not that good.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Davidson.html

http://www.rpiforecast.com/confs/A10.html

Last edited by ud2; 12-16-2014 at 03:12 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-17-2014), rollo (12-16-2014), Tony T 71 (12-17-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 03:25 PM

And holy cow, what in the world happened to Saint Louis? 3 losses to teams with a rpi of 160 or worse.

They lost to #325 Texas A&M Corpus Christi AT HOME.

Their bid to the NBE might be in jeopardy if they don't get things turned around.

Rpiforecast has them finishing in DEAD LAST in the A10. Wow.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Saint%20Louis.html
Flyer 86 (12-17-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
The Saint Louis Billikens

And holy cow, what in the world happened to Saint Louis? 3 losses to teams with a rpi of 160 or worse.

They lost to #325 Texas A&M Corpus Christi AT HOME.

Their bid to the NBE might be in jeopardy if they don't get things turned around.

Rpiforecast has them finishing in DEAD LAST in the A10. Wow.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Saint%20Louis.html
are on Crews Control.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Alberto Strasse For This Totally Excellent Post:
anthonycharles (12-16-2014), Figgie123 (12-16-2014), Flyer 86 (12-17-2014), springborofan (12-16-2014), Tony T 71 (12-17-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 06:14 PM
Brigadier General

forego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond reputeforego1 has a reputation beyond repute
No, no--you read me wrong. Keeping in mind our history of some VERY notable foes, the irony is that the Dayton program is peaking and our schedule is not commensurate.
That Davidson is a BIG game strikes me because of its odd possible truth.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to forego1 For This Totally Excellent Post:
NJFlyr71 (12-17-2014), ud2 (12-16-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 06:23 PM
Brigadier General

Imagine just 5 years ago that today our biggest regular rivals might be VCU and Davidson. THAT would be incredulous. No?
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to forego1 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-17-2014), NJFlyr71 (12-17-2014), ruechalgrin (12-16-2014), Tony T 71 (12-17-2014)
Old 12-16-2014, 06:34 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
Unfathomable
Old 12-16-2014, 08:55 PM
Brigadier General

Sorry I'm off topic, but with all that is said, it behooves Dayton to do what it does not do- win its conference or/and conference tournament. Time to take the conference leadership role.
Old 12-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
How do they do that?
Old 12-16-2014, 09:27 PM
General of the Air Force

T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
How? To quote the late Al Davis: "Just win, Baby!"

And speaking of wins, the current RPI forecast has us going 21-9. Granted, there's a lot of ball to play yet, but who was the first one to predict 21-9? Hmmmm...who could it have been? And yes, I hope they do better than that, b/c with the A-10's projected RPI as a conference, 21-9 spells N-I-T.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2014, 09:36 PM
General

Tuesday results

12/16/14

A-10 scores
American 68 @ La salle 66 (OT)
Belmont 51 @ VCU 78

There were no OOC games scheduled tonight.

Old 12-16-2014, 11:16 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Bama with a 51-40 lead at Wichita State with under 5 to go. Lose 53-52. Complete meltdown.
Old 12-16-2014, 11:33 PM

I saw Alabama play earlier this year, they are just ok IMO.

I thought they were deficient in 4 areas:

1. They got out-rebounded significantly.

2. Poor shot selection. They jacked up too many outside shots. They did not get the ball into the low post enough. They did not drive to the basket enough.

If you drive and get the ball inside, IMO, the refs very frequently will give you the benefit of the doubt and call a foul on the other team if the defender makes even slight contact with the offensive player. It pays to be aggressive on offense.

3. They got out-hustled. For example: they were getting beat down the floor in transition, giving up some lay ups in transition because the other team beat them down the floor.

4. Too many turnovers.

They had some talented players though IMO.

Last edited by ud2; 12-16-2014 at 11:40 PM..
Old 12-18-2014, 01:00 AM
General

Wednesday's results

12/17/14 (otherwise known as Housecleaning Day)

A-10 scores:
St Francis (PA) 67 @ Duquesne 52
Catawba (?) 69 @ George Mason 99
U Texas Pan-American 69 @ St Louis 75

OOC opponents:
U Illinois-Chicago 46 @ Southern Methodist 67
Longwood 60 @ Miami (OH) 71
Eastern Michigan 46 @ #25 Michigan State 66

Old 12-18-2014, 01:40 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Catawba (?) 69 @ George Mason 99
Pretty sure George Mason is just scheduling games against random Indian tribes in exchange for a few poker chips.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-18-2014), jack72 (12-19-2014)
Old 12-18-2014, 08:48 AM
Brigadier General

Catawba= division 2 Other win Texas Pan Am= 194 rpi

Now everything is simple- need to win a lot of games
Old 12-19-2014, 01:10 AM
General

Thursday

12/18/14

A-10 results:
South Alabama 54 @ Richmond 65

OOC opponents:
UConn 56 @ #2 Duke 66
Coastal Carolina 68 @ Ole Miss 71

Old 12-20-2014, 12:48 AM
General

Slow night

11/19/14

No A-10 games scheduled

OOC opponents
Alabama A&M 49 @ Marquette 83

And finally, a partial score
(for the juvenile who has given me 3 unsigned negative reps on this thread):
You = 0
Gabby Johnson says it best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pus6XF_qh38

Last edited by Glen Clark; 12-20-2014 at 01:02 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-20-2014), udx2 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 01:55 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
For those of you wanting to see how to beat a zone turn on NC and OSU. NC is beating the crap out of OSU. They are up 43-31 at the half, and OSU scored the last four points. The crisp passing and low and high post play is creating a good shot every time down.

Also if you want to see the effect of not changing up defenses. Matta has stuck with the zone the whole half, and NC has beat them inside, on the dribble and outside (but only 3 of 7 from three). Wake up Thad!

NC has a great down low presence which opens up the foul line. Something we will not be able to do at all.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-22-2014), udx2 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 02:51 PM

Thanked 1,080 Times in 676 Posts
udx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant futureudx2 has a brilliant future
Found a thread that discusses basketball and not the soap opera that is now over!!

Sincere thanks, Glen and Jack.

Also, enjoyed the VCU destruction of Cincy, although sorry to learn that Mick Cronin has an unruptured aneurysm. I respect him, particularly for calling out his team after that infamous fight.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udx2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-22-2014), Glen Clark (12-21-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 02:59 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
For those of you wanting to see how to beat a zone turn on NC and OSU. NC is beating the crap out of OSU. They are up 43-31 at the half, and OSU scored the last four points. The crisp passing and low and high post play is creating a good shot every time down.

Also if you want to see the effect of not changing up defenses. Matta has stuck with the zone the whole half, and NC has beat them inside, on the dribble and outside (but only 3 of 7 from three). Wake up Thad!

NC has a great down low presence which opens up the foul line. Something we will not be able to do at all.
OSU's out of conference schedule is a joke. They have the ability to schedule pretty much anyone they wish, yet year after year it is a cake walk. I hope they get beat by a drum when they finally play some competition. They won't even schedule MAC teams.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to anthonycharles For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (12-21-2014), Glen Clark (12-21-2014), jack72 (12-20-2014), ruechalgrin (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 03:08 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Wink

Originally Posted by anthonycharles View Post
OSU's out of conference schedule is a joke. They have the ability to schedule pretty much anyone they wish, yet year after year it is a cake walk. I hope they get beat by a drum when they finally play some competition. They won't even schedule MAC teams.
Yeah. They play both Wright St and Miami.
Old 12-20-2014, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by anthonycharles View Post
It is all home games as well -- 10 games and 9 home and 1 away which was at Louisville.
Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
anthonycharles (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 09:30 PM

A-10 won 10 and lost only 1 today (Umass at Providence). Some nice wins including at Cincy and at Pepperdine.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (12-21-2014), Flyer 86 (12-20-2014)
Old 12-20-2014, 10:11 PM
General

VCU was beastly good today
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (12-20-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 01:09 AM
General

Games of note

Results for Saturday 12/20/14

Interesting results:
Xavier 88 @ Auburn 89 (2OT) (tsk, tsk)
Syracuse 77 @ #7 Villanova 82 (OT) - a game in which Villanova never led in regulation
Texas Southern 71 @ #25 Michigan State 60 (OT)
Texas Southern (2-8) has played one home game this season
Incarnate Word 110 @ UMKC 104 (3OT)
Incarnate Word is (8-1), with an RPI of 30
Dayton & Ohio State are tied at 31 in the RPI

A-10 scores:
Boston U 62 @ Dayton 78
VCU 68 @ Cincinnati 47
UMass 65 @ Providence 85
UMass-Lowell 63 @ Duquesne 79
St Bonaventure 69 @ Binghamton 51
Davidson 80 @ Charleston 68
Detroit 55 @ Rhode Island 69
St Joe's 75 @ Marist 58
Iona 81 @ George Mason 86
Richmond 65 @ Pepperdine 63 Game played in NYC
La Salle 67 @ Towson 53

OOC opponents:
Texas A&M 64 @ Kansas State 71
Eastern Michigan 77 @ Missouri State 65
Southeast Missouri 67 @ Arkansas 84
Vanderbilt 60 @ Georgia Tech 65

Bat'71 (12-21-2014), bobber (12-21-2014), CE80 (12-21-2014), cj (12-22-2014), forego1 (12-21-2014), udx2 (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 01:19 AM

Nice win for BG over Vanderbilt.
ruechalgrin (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 01:45 AM

UK beat UCLA by about 40.

UK led 41-7 at halftime. Man oh mighty.
Old 12-21-2014, 07:06 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
UK has been invited to take the Sixers place in the NBA.

Met a Davidson player going home for Christmas today. Said they'd heard about our recent bad news & were sorry for the rest of the team. Said they felt Dayton was going to be the main competitor in the A-10 this year.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (12-27-2014), Flyer 86 (12-22-2014), Glen Clark (12-21-2014), jack72 (12-21-2014), rollo (12-21-2014), ruechalgrin (12-21-2014)
Old 12-21-2014, 10:22 PM
General

Winter Solstice scores

12/21/14

Games of interest:
Harvard 27 @ #7 Virginia 76
Harvard trailed 39-8 at the half
Creighton 58 @ North Texas 62
Seton Hall 47 @ Georgia 65
Big East goes 0-2

A-10 results:
Vermont 55 @ St Louis 58

OOC opponents:
Southern Cal 75 @ Boston College 71
Ferris State (?) 82 @ Bowling Green 68 (!)
Fortunately for BGSU (& Dayton), games against Div II schools don't count in the Sagarin & RPI rankings

Old 12-22-2014, 07:41 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
I remember someone on here insisting that Harvard is a very good team. Virginia is every bit of #7 or more, but c'mon Harvard.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:06 PM

I remember someone on here insisting that Harvard is a very good team. Virginia is every bit of #7 or more, but c'mon Harvard.
The season isn't over yet, and I think that I might been arguing for Harvard being good over the last several years, which is true.

Harvard lost their first game of the year to Holy Cross, they might have been rusty, Harvard also lost to Virginia.

Harvard is projected to finish this year at #53, better than UD.

More quality opponents upcoming for Harvard, wait and see.

2014-rpi of 46
2013-rpi of 92
2012-rpi of 34
2011-rpi of 35
2010-rpi of 100

Last edited by ud2; 12-22-2014 at 12:08 PM..
Old 12-22-2014, 12:24 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Ferris State (?) 82 @ Bowling Green 68 (!)
Fortunately for BGSU (& Dayton), games against Div II schools don't count in the Sagarin & RPI rankings
No reason to reward for beating a Div II school, but it seems like you should get penalized for losing to a D2 school.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:27 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
UK has been invited to take the Sixers place in the NBA.

Met a Davidson player going home for Christmas today. Said they'd heard about our recent bad news & were sorry for the rest of the team. Said they felt Dayton was going to be the main competitor in the A-10 this year.
Probably hasn't figured out yet that VCU is in the A10. Davidson has been great though so far; hope they can keep it going.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:37 PM
General

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
No reason to reward for beating a Div II school, but it seems like you should get penalized for losing to a D2 school.

The algorithms for computing power rankings only include games between Division I opponents by design. However, were Bowling Green to end up on the bubble, their loss to Ferris State would certainly be considered by the selection committee.

Old 12-23-2014, 12:14 AM
General

Monday (RIP Joe Cocker)

12/22/14

Games of interest:
#10 Kansas 52 @ Temple 77
Old Dominion 69 @ William & Mary 62 - Old Dominion goes to 10-1
Incarnate Word comes back down to earth: Incarnate Word 47 @ Tulsa 76
With a pointy ball: Broncos 28 @ Bengals 37

A-10 scores:
Ohio 49 @ George Washington 77 (Honolulu, HI)
Manhattan 71 @ Fordham 57
E Tennessee State60 @ VCU 84
MD Eastern Shore 82 @ St Bonaventure 80

OOC opponents:
Alabama A&M 62 @ Western Michigan 71
Columbia 65 @ UConn 80
U Illinois-Chicago 46 @ Northwestern 65
Miami (OH) 55 @ Ohio State 93
Milwaukee 54 @ Arkansas 84
Southeast Missouri 51 @ Ole Miss 82

And finally, RIP Joe Cocker:
With A Little Help From My Friends (Woodstock, 1969)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR-H2uFCQls
Old 12-24-2014, 12:34 AM
General

Christmas Eve eve

12/23/14

Good night for the A-10:
Georgia Tech 61 @ Dayton 75 - Jordan Sibert scores career-high 24 points http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400587871
George Washington 53 @ Colorado 50 (Honolulu, HI)
GW will face #11 Wichita State for the Diamond Head Classic title Thursday
George Mason 68 @ Wright State 60 (Let's start a thread . . .)
La Salle 83 @ Hofstra 74
UMass 71 @ BYU 77 (OT)

OOC opponents:
Coppin State 64 @ Eastern Michigan 87 (EMU goes to 10-2)

Other games of interest:
NJIT 67 @ #7 Villanova 92 (NJIT lead 44-41 at the half)
Out west . . .
Ohio 99 @ DePaul 78 (Honolulu, HI)
#3 Arizona 67 @ UNLV 71 - first loss of the season for Sean Miller (12-1)
New Mexico 65 @ Grand Canyon 68 (!)
Wyoming 61 @ Montana State 51 (Wyoming goes to 11-2)

Last edited by Glen Clark; 12-24-2014 at 09:58 PM..
Old 12-24-2014, 12:08 PM
Lieutenant General

I watch every A10 non-conference game I can, and I think we stumbled a little out of the gate this year. But in the month of December we have recovered quite nicely and have pretty well cemented our hold on the 7 spot as far as conference RPI is concerned.

Now, if we can only move up to number 6 next year! It might take some cooperation from the PAC 12, but I think it is doable.

PS - Davidson has been a nice surprise.

Last edited by bobber; 12-24-2014 at 12:11 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (12-24-2014), Glen Clark (12-24-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 12:13 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
GW vs. Wichita State on Christmas night will be huge for the conference.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:53 PM

GW beat OU 77-49 and then OU beat DePaul 99-78. I know comparing scores doesn't always tell the whole story, but, wow, DePaul must be bad.
Old 12-24-2014, 04:02 PM
Brigadier General

A few may be interested:

http://www.bracketmatrix.com
Mad Props to forego1 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (12-25-2014)
Old 12-24-2014, 05:57 PM
Lieutenant General

A few may be interested:

http://www.bracketmatrix.com
Thanks. An interesting site that I used to watch, then somehow it got booted out of my favorites file. Interesting that we still don't show up at all in a lot of the bracket projections, but I suppose that's the nature of the beast: they follow the BCS conferences pretty closely and don't pay much attention to anything else.
forego1 (12-24-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 10:38 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
In case you forgot it was on like I did

Until a few minutes ago at least.

GW is up 2 on Witchita State with a little over 3 minutes to go. GW was down 8 when I turned the game on with about 7 minutes to go.
Old 12-25-2014, 10:48 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
GW wins 60-54 over Witchita St......Outscored WSU 20-6 over the last 7 1/2 minutes. Good win for the A-10.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (12-25-2014), ScottyExpress (12-25-2014), udflyerfan (12-26-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 10:49 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Very impressed with the Colonials
Old 12-25-2014, 10:49 PM
Brigadier General

GW is every bit as tough as VCU. That isn't the 1st time this season they looked really tough. Good win.
Mad Props to forego1 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-26-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 11:06 PM
Lieutenant General

Nice win, GW.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:19 PM
General

Diamond Head Classic

12/25/14

Only four games in all of Div I college basketball today (all in Honolulu, HI)

A-10:
George Washington 60 @ #11 Wichita State 54
George Washington (A-10) wins the Diamond Head classic

Other scores:
Colorado 66 @ Hawaii 69 (third place)
Ohio 58 @ Nebraska 71 (fifth place)
DePaul 69 @ Loyola Marymount 71 (seventh place)
DePaul (NBE) finishes last

Flyer 86 (12-26-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 11:21 PM

NCAA selecting tourney teams today, we would be in with a 7-10 seed. 27 RPI, 3-2 road/neutral, 3-2 top 100, best wins with home 42 + 52 neutral, and worst losses at @23 + neutral 70.

Last edited by ruechalgrin; 12-25-2014 at 11:35 PM..
Old 12-25-2014, 11:33 PM
Major

ScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud of
Ole Miss will be a fun game to watch. I hate to admit it but I've always liked Andy K. Bigger test for us than GT as far as I'm concerned.
Mad Props to ScottyExpress For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-26-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 11:44 PM

Looks like an eight team race in the A-10 right now based upon non-con to date. Kenpom has 8 teams in its top 100 with projected conference and overall records.
#14 VCU projected to go 14-4 in A-10 & 24-7 overall.
#46 GW (before game today) projected to go 12-6 in A-10 and 21-10 overall.
#52 UD projected to go 12-6 in A-10 and 22-8 overall.
#53 RI projected to go 12-6 in A-10 and 20-9 overall.
#65 Davidson projected to go 11-7 in A-10 and 20-9 overall.
#82 LaSalle projected to go 10-8 in A-10 and 18-13 overall.
#91 Umass projected to go 10-8 in A-10 and 17-14 overall.
#94 Richmond projected to go 9-9 in A-10 and 17-14 overall.
Old 12-25-2014, 11:50 PM
Brigadier General

This thread is my comfort room in the forum. Interest, peace, understanding, care, ideas--I love coming here.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to forego1 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (12-25-2014), Flyer 86 (12-26-2014), tirebiter (12-26-2014)
Old 12-25-2014, 11:58 PM
Major

ScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud of
Looks like an eight team race in the A-10 right now based upon non-con to date. Kenpom has 8 teams in its top 100 with projected conference and overall records.
KenPom has never been my favorite prognosticator, but I'm hoping he is on the mark this time, or maybe even a little conservative. 12-6 with a win or two in the A10 tourney makes a pretty convincing case as far as I'm concerned. I'd much rather go 13-5 or better. Road conference wins are always tough, but I'm hoping Archie can squeeze out five or so.
Old 12-26-2014, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by EmmetStFlyerFan View Post
Ole Miss will be a fun game to watch. I hate to admit it but I've always liked Andy K. Bigger test for us than GT as far as I'm concerned.
Agree, I think Miss will be a tougher game than GT.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-26-2014), ruechalgrin (12-28-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 10:16 AM

GW has only one senior on that team. They will be tough, tough next year.
Flyer 86 (12-26-2014), ruechalgrin (12-28-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 02:30 PM
Brigadier General

Georgetown beat Indiana in overtime 91-87. What was memorable was Josh Smith (6' 10" 350 lbs.) setting a screen. Anyone see that? Poor Indiana guard opted not to go around it. Ha Ha.

Josh Smith is a building, but was graceful like a ballerina inside-really poised too. Make a point to see him play.
Old 12-27-2014, 05:24 PM

Kentucky beats Louisville in a game that set college basketball back a couple of years to the era when the refs let the players beat the crap out of each other. The low score was a result of good defense and almost no fouls called. Somewhat boring game, for one that should have been a great one.
John C. (12-27-2014), redbengal (12-27-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 11:18 PM
Captain

1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold
Six of these games on the road!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to 1903 Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (12-28-2014), ruechalgrin (12-28-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 11:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Kentucky beats Louisville in a game that set college basketball back a couple of years to the era when the refs let the players beat the crap out of each other. The low score was a result of good defense and almost no fouls called. Somewhat boring game, for one that should have been a great one.
Refs were Roger Ayers, Karl Hess, & Michael Roberts.
- Ayers has worked over 1,000 games in his career, but only 4 involving UD.
- Hess has worked over 1,500 games in his career, but only 3 involving UD.
- Roberts has worked over 900 games in his career, and 31 of those involved UD.

None of them has a record that indicates he's whistle-happy. So, if we see any of 'em on our schedule, might as well sharpen the elbows and put on the headgear.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (12-28-2014), rollo (12-28-2014)
Old 12-27-2014, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by 1903 Flyer View Post
Six of these games on the road!
No, only 5 are roadies: VCU, Davidson, GW, UMass, and LaSalle.

Richmond and RI are at home.

Beat Miss, win out at home in the A10, and drop all 5 of those roadies, and you finish 23-7, and are probably in the tourney.
ruechalgrin (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 01:49 AM
Brigadier General

...VCU, Davidson, GW, UMass, and LaSalle...win out at home...and drop all 5 of those roadies, and you finish 23-7...
I see this makes our BEST true road win a 120+ rpi. Go out 23-8 with A10 tourney loss and do we get in?

NOT saying! Asking- What would our record be top 50/ then top 100?

Approximate rpi? Best win?

Maybe somebody can form our blind resume profile. What would be typical blind resumes it will be compared to on the bubble?

Last edited by forego1; 12-28-2014 at 06:36 AM..
Old 12-28-2014, 09:00 AM
General of the Air Force

I see this makes our BEST true road win a 120+ rpi. Go out 23-8 with A10 tourney loss and do we get in?

Maybe somebody can form our blind resume profile. What would be typical blind resumes it will be compared to on the bubble?
Looking at resumes now is like looking at retirement calculators when you are 40.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-28-2014), forego1 (12-28-2014), LI Flyer (12-28-2014), TA111 (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 08:59 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
I caught the very end of the Richmond game today. Man, very poor execution by them. They inbounded the ball with just over 30 sec to go, up one. Instead of dribbling more time off, they ended up having a guy streak past the defense and dunk it to go up 3 with about 28 sec left. They were in the double bonus. Not sure whether a wide open dunk for 2 points or trying to play keep away for a few extra ticks is the better play but Wake came right down and banked in a three. Richmond had a timeout but elected not to use it then threw up a wild shot on a drive with 7-8 seconds left. Wake grabbed the rebound, drove up court, guy picks up his dribble near the three point line, and flings it at the rim. Another Wake player is streaking to the hoop and redirects the pass/shot into the net right as time expired.

Anyway, the A10 could have used the win. Wake isn't great, but still. I don't see how Richmond has a path to an at-large at this point. At least they didn't lose to Maryland-Eastern Shore like Duquesne did today. At least Fordham beat Howard.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (12-28-2014), Glen Clark (12-28-2014), ruechalgrin (12-28-2014)
Old 12-28-2014, 11:42 PM
General

Sunday

12/28/14

A-10 scores:
Maryland-Eastern Shore 78 @ Duquesne 69
Wake Forest 65 @ Richmond 63
Howard 59 @ Fordham 74

OOC opponents:
Central Connecticut 48 @ UConn 81
Northwestern State 92 @ Arkansas 100
U Illinois-Chicago 60 @ Bradley 68
Bowling Green 79 @ South Florida 70
Concordia (?) 42 @ Eastern Michigan 100 (EMU's non-conference schedule included 4 (!) Div II team this season)

Other games of note:
Texas Southern 58 @ Kansas State 56 - Texas Southern (3-9) picks up their third win of the season (win #2 was @ Michigan State)
Stony Brook 62 @ #13 Washington 57 - Washington with their first loss of the season

Last edited by Glen Clark; 12-29-2014 at 09:57 AM..
Old 12-29-2014, 12:42 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by THirt View Post
I caught the very end of the Richmond game today. Man, very poor execution by them. They inbounded the ball with just over 30 sec to go, up one. Instead of dribbling more time off, they ended up having a guy streak past the defense and dunk it to go up 3 with about 28 sec left. They were in the double bonus. Not sure whether a wide open dunk for 2 points or trying to play keep away for a few extra ticks is the better play but Wake came right down and banked in a three. Richmond had a timeout but elected not to use it then threw up a wild shot on a drive with 7-8 seconds left. Wake grabbed the rebound, drove up court, guy picks up his dribble near the three point line, and flings it at the rim. Another Wake player is streaking to the hoop and redirects the pass/shot into the net right as time expired.

Anyway, the A10 could have used the win. Wake isn't great, but still. I don't see how Richmond has a path to an at-large at this point. At least they didn't lose to Maryland-Eastern Shore like Duquesne did today. At least Fordham beat Howard.
Posted via Mobile Device
I hope the Spiders are as generous when we play them.

Should have been a "W" for Richmond, but instead they fumbled away an A-10 win with missed shots, questionable decisions and a notable lack of hustle in the final seconds. Mooney's teams don't usually give games away like this.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:50 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Stoney Brook 62 @ #13 Washington 57 - Washington with their first loss of the season
There's no "e" in Stony Brook, Glen. This is a SUNY (State University of New York) school, located on Long Island much further out than Hofstra.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 08:53 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,914 Times in 2,926 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
I hope the Spiders are as generous when we play them.

Should have been a "W" for Richmond, but instead they fumbled away an A-10 win with missed shots, questionable decisions and a notable lack of hustle in the final seconds. Mooney's teams don't usually give games away like this.
The Richmond posters on the A-10 MB are predicting bad things for the Spiders in conference play, going so far as to say they may be the worst team in the league.

Very un-Mooney like performance thus far.
Old 12-29-2014, 09:34 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
As long as SLU and Fordham are around, Richmond can't be the worst team in the league.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (12-29-2014), Glen Clark (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 10:16 AM
General

OOC schedule

Flyer fans have been known to complain (!) about our non-conference scheduling, but Eastern Michigan fans are paying to watch a parade of Div II mis-matches.
And then there's Texas Southern - Their fans aren't watching much at all.
They have one non-conference game at home, where they remain undefeated (Lamar 59 @ Texas Southern 71, attendance n/a)
The Tigers' team motto: You ain't seen nuthin' yet!

bobber (12-29-2014), Figgie123 (12-29-2014), forego1 (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 10:24 AM
Lieutenant General

Flyer fans have been known to complain (!) about our non-conference scheduling, but Eastern Michigan fans are paying to watch a parade of Div II mis-matches.
And then there's Texas Southern - Their fans aren't watching much at all.
They have one non-conference game at home, where they remain undefeated (Lamar 59 @ Texas Southern 71, attendance n/a)
The Tigers' team motto: You ain't seen nuthin' yet!

Glen Clark (12-29-2014)
Old 12-29-2014, 11:23 PM
General

Monday

12/29/14

A=10 results:
St Joe's 73 @ Denver 77 (OT)
Cleveland State 63 @ VCU 72

OOC opponents:
U Mass-Lowell 47 @ Boston college 70
Capital (OH) (??) 46 @ Miami (OH) 69
Wentworth Institute of Technology(??) 46 @ Boston U 69
When Div II opponents are too tough, try Div III (??)

Games of note:
Fairleigh Dickinson 85 @ Towson 84 (OT)
Alex Gavrilovic: 0-0, 0-0, 0-0 2 reb 0, 0, 0, 0, 1 pf 0
How do you lose when you shoot 57% from the floor, 62% from three, 73% from the line, and out rebound your opponent by 23?
How about 25 turnovers by Towson vs 3 by FD.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=400591757

ud2 (12-30-2014)
Old 12-30-2014, 12:13 AM
Lieutenant General

Joe's choked. Led most of the way until it mattered.

Denver's quick-cut offense, heads-up play and intensity when it mattered made the Hawk look sick. It was funny watching a bunch of well coached little guys stick it to a bunch of largely disinterested, taller and stronger guys.
Old 12-30-2014, 02:35 AM

I think 23-8 probably gets UD in.

They beat BC and Texas A&M at a neutral site.

I am just guessing about 23-8, but 23-7 gets you to the low 40's in the rpi, UD's rpi last year after the A10 tourney was 43, and UD got in.

Realtimerpi tracks the rpi's every year of who made it, and who did not make it. Since the tournament expanded to 68 teams in 2011, the last 2 non-BCS schools to make it have been:

2014-Xavier #57, Dayton #43
http://realtimerpi.com/2013-2014/rpi_Men.html

2013-LaSalle #46, Boise State #44
http://realtimerpi.com/2012-2013/rpi_Men.html

2012-Xavier #41, Iona #40
http://realtimerpi.com/2011-2012/rpi_Men.html

2011-VCU #49, UAB #31
http://realtimerpi.com/2010-2011/rpi_Men.html

And there have been some snubs.

Harvard was #35 in 2011 and got snubbed.

Southern Mississippi was #31 in 2013 and got snubbed.

Southern Mississippi was #34 in 2014 and got snubbed.

Toledo was #38 in 2014 and got snubbed.

Having a weak SOS IMO highly contributes to your chances of possibly being snubbed like Harvard, Southern Miss, or Toledo.

Last edited by ud2; 12-30-2014 at 02:50 AM..
forego1 (12-30-2014)