User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-08-2017, 12:46 PM
General

Thanked 5,433 Times in 2,373 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
If I was an AD, and my job was on the line, I wouldn't worry about what the "norm" was, I'd worry about getting the best coach, regardless of where they are.
As the old saying goes, "nobody gets fired for buying IBM equipment." Even when you know someone else is the best choice for the job, you have to consider these human beings will think about the fact that if you hire Miller and he flops (for any reason), you will be remembered as the guy who brought in the "unproven" small-time coach and it will be you in the hot seat. If he's successful, well then of course he's successful, that's just what we do here at UNC / Duke / Kansas / UK.

Now, if you bring in a "name" coach and he doesn't do well, then it's because it was just a bad culture fit or some other reason. Just dust off the coaching search and start again.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-08-2017)
Advertisement
Old 03-08-2017, 12:59 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Gonzaga and Wichita State? 5 star players and 1 seeds.
I am not talking exceptions, but on average. How many 5 star players does WSU have? and Zaga?

And on a different thread, A10 Honors, people are debating who in the A10 will play in the NBA, and that is the entire league. Sort of sad. How many players from WSU or Zaga will get drafted this year? Maybe one. There are only two kids from conferences other than the Big 6 listed in the top 60 Mock Drafts.

The NBA is not the benchmark for any team, but the NCAA Tourney is. How has Zaga done there? Don't know the answer, but I'll bet VA, IU and NCSt all have better NCAA records than Zaga or WSU.

I love our Flyers, but even the great class next year will not have a five star. Meanwhile that dreaded school to the south has a couple guys that will get drafted, and in a horrendous year with injuries and losses will make the tourney.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 01:54 PM

Thanked 6,124 Times in 4,169 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Sheesh, a busy day or two.

Matta seemingly safe at Ohio State...Cleveland State is opening...Youngstown State is opening...LSU is opening...Alabama A&M is opening...Quinnipiac is opening.

www.hoopdirt.com
Old 03-08-2017, 01:56 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
In other words Archie is still at the top of the list, because they ain't touchin' those four.
I disagree, Jack. IU is still a hoops giant, just a sleeping one. I could see Marshall at IU. Definitely a big step up from Wichita St.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FLYER5 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-08-2017), Flyer 86 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 02:01 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
I disagree, Jack. IU is still a hoops giant, just a sleeping one. I could see Marshall at IU. Definitely a big step up from Wichita St.
I will throw in another name for Indiana, Scott Drew
Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Canonball (03-10-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 02:29 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
I am not talking exceptions, but on average. How many 5 star players does WSU have? and Zaga?

And on a different thread, A10 Honors, people are debating who in the A10 will play in the NBA, and that is the entire league. Sort of sad. How many players from WSU or Zaga will get drafted this year? Maybe one. There are only two kids from conferences other than the Big 6 listed in the top 60 Mock Drafts.

The NBA is not the benchmark for any team, but the NCAA Tourney is. How has Zaga done there? Don't know the answer, but I'll bet VA, IU and NCSt all have better NCAA records than Zaga or WSU.

I love our Flyers, but even the great class next year will not have a five star. Meanwhile that dreaded school to the south has a couple guys that will get drafted, and in a horrendous year with injuries and losses will make the tourney.
I will take the 3 and 4 star recruits who are going to stick around for four years over the one-and-done's that 5 star recruits aspire to be any day, and twice on Sunday. If the trajectory of the program stays up and to the right, I don't think recruiting will be a major issue.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:31 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
I will throw in another name for Indiana, Scott Drew
I could see that. Things are not looking good down in Waco. Not sure even Chip and Joanna are up to the task.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-08-2017), BeckysTXA (03-11-2017), C-time (03-08-2017), Canonball (03-10-2017), Flyer 86 (03-09-2017), Gazoo (03-08-2017), jack72 (03-08-2017), Whacker (03-09-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:13 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
There's an Adidas connection with Indiana and Baylor. Drew also spent a lot of his life in the Hoosier state.

Besides the NCAA issues with the school, you gotta think he's probably maxed out what anyone can do with Baylor.

I think the Adidas affiliation is gonna make Indiana less attractive on the open market
Old 03-08-2017, 03:21 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
There's an Adidas connection with Indiana and Baylor. Drew also spent a lot of his life in the Hoosier state.

Besides the NCAA issues with the school, you gotta think he's probably maxed out what anyone can do with Baylor.

I think the Adidas affiliation is gonna make Indiana less attractive on the open market
Baylor switched over a couple years ago to Nike, but I agree that schools with Adidas contracts can be at a disadvantage. Indiana and NC State are Adidas schools, and Rick Pitino has said that being an Adidas school can limit some players he is able to recruit.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:22 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
I've often wondered how much the Nike cabal, Adidas Cabal and now Under Armor Cabal affect coaching moves. How much pull does Nike have in Archie's (or other coaching) decisions? How do those contracts and influences work? I doubt its spoken about in the open, but I'm sure Nike would prefer to keep Sean and Archie in the "family"
Old 03-08-2017, 03:23 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FLYER5 View Post
I am amazed that Marshall is still there. I think he has wanted to take a higher profile gig, but his daughters have basically vetoed it. As soon as they graduate high school, he is gone. Not sure if that would be this year though.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-09-2017), jack72 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:24 PM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
The Koch brothers have helped as well, I've read he's making $3.5 mil a season right now at WSU
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
bhflyer5 (03-09-2017), Flyer 86 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:52 PM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I've often wondered how much the Nike cabal, Adidas Cabal and now Under Armor Cabal affect coaching moves. How much pull does Nike have in Archie's (or other coaching) decisions? How do those contracts and influences work? I doubt its spoken about in the open, but I'm sure Nike would prefer to keep Sean and Archie in the "family"
If you have Netflix there's a documentary called At All Costs which is about AAU basketball and it touches on the shoe companies role in amateur basektball
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-11-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 03:56 PM
General

Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
I am amazed that Marshall is still there. I think he has wanted to take a higher profile gig, but his daughters have basically vetoed it. As soon as they graduate high school, he is gone. Not sure if that would be this year though.
Marshall, 50, has been a head coach at only two schools: Winthrop (1998-2007) and Wichita State (2007-present). He's asked himself why he hasn't bounced around as much as his peers in the college coaching profession. He thinks, at least partially, it's because of advice he was given by longtime College of Charleston coach John Kresse: Stay where you're loved. Coach where you're appreciated.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-09-2017), FLYER5 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 04:14 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
If you have Netflix there's a documentary called At All Costs which is about AAU basketball and it touches on the shoe companies role in amateur basektball
Archie appears very briefly in that movie walking in a door.

Troubling movie to watch.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:19 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
If Archie is the number one most sought after coach he's never going to be any hotter than he is now. And he could be a bit cooler in future years. Next year it certainly looks like we will not have the same level of talent or experience. He must be at least considering that assuming he has interest in moving on .
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-08-2017, 05:22 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Very little in college sports. Too much conflict of interest with all the schools that or Nike, Adidas, ect. The only places where it really has an affect are UNC, Maryland, and Oregon. AD's have too much on the line to wonder what Nike thinks. Now deep pocket donors are a different story.
Old 03-08-2017, 05:29 PM
Major

Flyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer2 has a reputation beyond repute
All the talk about Archie but what about the assistant coaches .......any rumors?
Mad Props to Flyer2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 09:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Ohio State just lost 66-57 to Rutgers in the 11-14 seed game of the Big 10 (14) tournament. I would sleep better if the Buckeyes had won.

Yea yea, I know Ohio State is young, Matta wants to come back, the Buckeyes happy overall with Thad, etc.........
Old 03-08-2017, 09:36 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
That OSU game was one of the worst games I've ever watched. No offense. No effort. No coaching. No passion. Wow. Will Matta survive this effort? We'll see.
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 09:45 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
That OSU game was one of the worst games I've ever watched. No offense. No effort. No coaching. No passion. Wow. Will Matta survive this effort? We'll see.
Matta looked like he was coaching his last game. I was not the slightest bit concerned about him leaving or being asked to leave, until the last 2 hours.

Sorry for even bringing this up now, as Archie and our Flyers have their eyes on a much bigger prize the next 3 or 4 weekends, but wow, this game left me speechless and worried. Guess if I did not post this, someone else would have been the debbie downer and said something.

Last edited by ClaytonFlyerFan; 03-08-2017 at 09:47 PM..
Old 03-08-2017, 09:59 PM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
He's staying. Let's just chill and have a Budweiser.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Jeff For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-08-2017), FLYER5 (03-11-2017), m21eagle45 (03-08-2017), UD62 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 10:03 PM
Lieutenant General

C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I think you guys may have missed the statement/vote of confidence from Ohio St. AD Gene Smith earlier today. Thad is staying unless Gene changes his mind that quickly.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...-winning-ways/
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-08-2017), FLYER5 (03-11-2017), m21eagle45 (03-08-2017)
Old 03-08-2017, 10:06 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,597 Times in 750 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
IU Basketball – Five myths dispelled about the coaching position and Tom Crean

http://kentsterling.com/2017/03/08/i...and-tom-crean/
Old 03-08-2017, 10:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Can I have a Warped Wing instead?
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-09-2017), sheg (03-08-2017), Whacker (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 01:48 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
No effort. No passion. I have seen that at OSU with Matta's teams before. It is very frustrating.

I think Matta survives.

He pampers his players too much I guess. I do not know.

They just loaf and loaf. And then they loaf some more. Very frustrating. I want to kick some of them in the rear and tell them to start hustling.

My opinion is just based on very sporadic OSU viewing, so I am not an expert. The loafing just left an impression on me.

Last edited by ud2; 03-09-2017 at 01:58 AM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 07:22 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
No effort. No passion. I have seen that at OSU with Matta's teams before. It is very frustrating.

I think Matta survives.

They just loaf and loaf. And then they loaf some more. Very frustrating. I want to kick some of them in the rear and tell them to start hustling.

My opinion is just based on very sporadic OSU viewing, so I am not an expert. The loafing just left an impression on me.
Your view/opinion is spot on. Last nights game did nothing to determine a change of heart by Gene Smith. They could have won that game by 1 point and does it really change anything? Beat NW today, does it really change anything? They are who they are at least this year and that is just a lazy, unathletic team that fortunately will lose at least a couple of players in Lyle (probably leave to go somewhere) and Loving(graduates) who are 2 of the laziest, most apathetic players in NCAA history..

Thad will be given next year at the minimum and while a NCAA tourney bid would be expected by many around the OSU program, he'll at least need to field a hungry, competitive bunch of players who do better than this past team..
Old 03-09-2017, 07:50 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
I do not see how OSU is magically getting better next year. Yes, they'll get Bates-Diop back, but they are replacing Loving and someone with a 3-star and 4-star recruit. This is far from the days when they seemingly brought in a one-and-done every year.

They'll be mid-pack Big Ten next season, or worse.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:55 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,700 Times in 1,283 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute

I think Matta survives.

A lot of bad body language last night...the entire game. It doesn't help that every timeout/huddle there are at least two white boards in front of the players, one with Jent diagramming something, another by Matta or Paulus...4 coaches talking to 5 players. Look at Archie's huddles: 10 eyes on him.
After Rutgers got the ball with like 13 seconds left and OSU called off the dogs, the 5 players on the court looked like they were headed straight to the locker room.

Last edited by Radar; 03-09-2017 at 08:13 AM..
Old 03-09-2017, 08:08 AM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm curious what the OSU season ticket holders are saying to Gene Smith.

Lower arena seats at OSU are expensive. Try $15k every 5 years + $1000/yr maintenance fee + cost of a ticket...for that kind of cash, this season is unacceptable. And if you watched them at home this season like I did, you also noticed that the Schott was rarely more than 2/3 full...and when it was, you could still hear a pin drop inside the place.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:11 AM
General

Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,410 Posts
Jeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond reputeJeff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
Can I have a Warped Wing instead?
Posted via Mobile Device
Had one last time I was in Dayton! I'm in!
Old 03-09-2017, 08:51 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
I have a friend who's a big IU supporter and likes to rip on the A10 a bit, so I've watched a fair amount of B10 basketball this year.

Let me tell you: the B10 has a lot of bad coaches. When you watch how UD plays the game of basketball and then watch how Minnesota, Indiana, Iowa, Illinois, Rutgers, Ohio State, and even more, you really take a moment to step back and think "holy crap, we've got one of the better coaches in the whole country." That requires the players to buy in, so Matta might be a great coach but he lost his players a long time ago.

Miller would be one of the top 3 coaches in the B10 on his first day, and frankly the race wouldn't be close behind those 3. Even Minnesota who is having a good year is just poorly, poorly coached.

Many B10 teams have more physical talent than UD, but tell Dookie V to shove it in his eye because we're a better team.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-09-2017), jack72 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 09:33 AM
General

Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
I do not see how OSU is magically getting better next year. Yes, they'll get Bates-Diop back, but they are replacing Loving and someone with a 3-star and 4-star recruit. This is far from the days when they seemingly brought in a one-and-done every year.

They'll be mid-pack Big Ten next season, or worse.
I don't watch much OSU basketball, but if what I read on their message board is true (and its echoed here as well) a 3 or 4 star recruit that plays with passion and heart would be a huge step up from the often detached Mark Loving.

Kyle Davis wasn't as physically talented as Marc Loving when he committed to Ohio State, but is there anyone in flyer land that would trade what Kyle has given this program compared to what Marc Loving has done? H-E-Double Hockey sticks no! Guys like Kyle overcome guys like Marc with guts, hustle and heart. Kyle is a better basketball player than Marc is after 4 seasons, and it isn't even close.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-09-2017), CT Flyer (03-09-2017), Flyer 86 (03-09-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (03-09-2017), ruechalgrin (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 10:06 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
The more i read your posts, the more i want to drink my Dos Equis with you. Good poster.

Wonder if the wall will come with a swivel hatch to deliver my supply?
Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 10:13 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BRob2Perryman3 View Post
The more i read your posts, the more i want to drink my Dos Equis with you. Good poster.

Amber or Especial?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2017, 10:17 AM
Brigadier General

BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Either. But Especial is the go to.
Old 03-09-2017, 10:38 AM

*as if there's ever a doubt!

I don't watch much OSU basketball, but if what I read on their message board is true (and its echoed here as well) a 3 or 4 star recruit that plays with passion and heart would be a huge step up from the often detached Mark Loving.
tOSU redshirted the Funderburg kid this season and I never heard why. He's a stud and will really help them next season...and I expect them to make the NCAAs. If you like Archie, you better hope I'm royally correct*.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2016/11...etball_re.html
ruechalgrin (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 10:40 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Anyone see the Duquesne womens coaches in a huddle. First the defensive coach sits in front of the players give his take, then the offensive coach sits in front of the players and gives her take then the head coach sits in front of the players and gives his take.

During the game his defensive coach calls the defensive plays and the offensive coach calls the offensive plays. The head coach has veto powers??? Different.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 10:55 AM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
tOSU redshirted the Funderburg kid this season and I never heard why. He's a stud and will really help them next season...and I expect them to make the NCAAs. If you like Archie, you better hope I'm royally correct*.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2016/11...etball_re.html
Could be addition by subtraction just not having Lyle around, as well, should he choose to boogie on out but I don't see a NCAA appearance. Makes you wonder how Funderburg could RS on that team as terrible as they were and where they were even picked to finish going into the season....Of course, losing Bates-Diop killed them and probably cost them a NCAA appearance..
Old 03-09-2017, 10:58 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Anyone see the Duquesne womens coaches in a huddle. First the defensive coach sits in front of the players give his take, then the offensive coach sits in front of the players and gives her take then the head coach sits in front of the players and gives his take.

During the game his defensive coach calls the defensive plays and the offensive coach calls the offensive plays. The head coach has veto powers??? Different.
That actually sounds pretty **** smart to me. i wish BG had an offensive guy to call the plays
Old 03-09-2017, 11:56 AM
General of the Air Force

We spent a week at an all inclusive resort, with 9 bars, and Dos Equis on draft at everyone of them. Looking to book a return visit in the fall. Beer at breakfast, the breakfast of champions. Would love to see the Flyers play in the Cancun Challange early season tourney sometime, assuming they could ever put together a decent field.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:28 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,367 Times in 537 Posts
MNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond reputeMNFats has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
I think you guys may have missed the statement/vote of confidence from Ohio St. AD Gene Smith earlier today. Thad is staying unless Gene changes his mind that quickly.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-bas...-winning-ways/
I don't think Thad is leaving, but let's not fool ourselves into thinking a "vote of confidence" closes the book on that. How many coaches have been fired after the dreaded "vote of confidence"?

Do you know who doesn't need a vote of confidence? Coaches that are winning.
Mad Props to MNFats For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 06:49 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Going to treat this like the catch all coaching change thread...

UMass has fired Derek Kellogg.
Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 07:22 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
Going to treat this like the catch all coaching change thread...

UMass has fired Derek Kellogg.
I guess giving the top team in the conference their worst loss(by points and damage) of the season just isn't enough to keep your job.
Old 03-09-2017, 07:25 PM
Captain

soccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to beholdsoccergod is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
I guess giving the top team in the conference their worst loss(by points and damage) of the season just isn't enough to keep your job.
Brian Gregory rumored to USF. Or University of South Florida !
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2017, 08:18 PM
General

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,232 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by soccergod View Post
Brian Gregory rumored to USF. Or University of South Florida !
Posted via Mobile Device
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/...ps-job/2315763

My hope is GT goes to the NCAAs this year, Tech gives Pastner a big raise and extension, then they fall flat on their faces in the coming seasons. Meanwhile, Gregory gets back into the game and does well at USF.
Old 03-09-2017, 08:42 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Cool

Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/...ps-job/2315763

My hope is GT goes to the NCAAs this year, Tech gives Pastner a big raise and extension, then they fall flat on their faces in the coming seasons. Meanwhile, Gregory gets back into the game and does well at USF.
And then Bobinski gets fired.
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Viperstick (03-09-2017)
Old 03-09-2017, 09:12 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Follow USF somewhat down here in Florida, BG will have his hands full the first few years, the Bulls are awful. 1-17 in the league going into the tourney and they losing tonight.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:26 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post
Not when most of your conference season was at best.
Old 03-10-2017, 08:37 AM
General

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Follow USF somewhat down here in Florida, BG will have his hands full the first few years, the Bulls are awful. 1-17 in the league going into the tourney and they losing tonight.
I watched part of their game against UConn last night and USF looks like the Bad News Bears of college BB. They are truly dreadful.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:15 AM
Captain

LIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond reputeLIBob has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
Then again, the bar is low there. all you need to do is get all your players on the plane.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:23 AM

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by LIBob View Post
Then again, the bar is low there. all you need to do is get all your players on the plane.
Amen, if you can get them to .500 the fans will go nuts, and he will get an extension.
Old 03-10-2017, 10:46 AM
Captain

Windy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud ofWindy City Flyer has much to be proud of
That actually sounds pretty **** smart to me. i wish BG had an offensive guy to call the plays
The odd part of that is I feel Izzo is a great X's and O's coach. One of the best at having a play prepared for every single situation. His team's execute. One would think some of that would have followed BG. I always thought BG had the game prep down but something was lacking. Interestingly enough the Izzo coaching tree has been suspect.

Tom Crean, Indiana University
Brian Gregory, Georgia Institute of Technology
Stan Heath, University of South Florida
Mark Montgomery, Northern Illinois University
Doug Wojcik, College of Charleston

Former Izzo assistants who were college head coaches:

Jim Boylen, University of Utah
Stan Joplin, University of Toledo

Current Izzo assistants who were previously college head coaches:

Dane Fife, Indiana University – Purdue University Fort Wayne
Mike Garland, Cleveland State
Old 03-10-2017, 10:56 AM
General

Truth is, its really, really hard to coach at the highest level of college hoops. If you could just "teach" your assistants how to do it properly, there would be no bad coaches. Its one thing to know Xs & Os, its something completely differently to be able to watch a game live, understand how the other team is trying to attack and defend you and be able to adjust on the fly and properly communicate that information to your team. Its the same thing with recruiting, its one thing to be able to spot talent, even talent that was a little under rated by the national services (how many times was Gregory in on a recruit before the "big boys" started to show up?), its something else to be able to sell that kid on your school, your vision and react on the fly when he asks questions brought up by other schools recruiting pitches?
Old 03-10-2017, 05:32 PM

Miami of Ohio fired their head coach, John Cooper.

https://hoopdirt.com/breaking-miami-...t-not-renewed/
Old 03-10-2017, 06:37 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute

https://hoopdirt.com/breaking-miami-...t-not-renewed/
Look for an X assistant to get that job.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
Look for an X assistant to get that job.
Or a UD assistant.
Old 03-10-2017, 07:12 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute

He was a little better when he was Ohio State's football coach...
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerGuyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
DaytonInsider (03-11-2017), jack72 (03-10-2017), MikeF (03-10-2017), SLUFLYER (03-11-2017)
Old 03-10-2017, 07:23 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Haha. After that joke of a game, he'll be back. That might have been the worst coaching showing by AM
Old 03-11-2017, 04:53 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer14 is a jewel in the roughFlyer14 is a jewel in the roughFlyer14 is a jewel in the roughFlyer14 is a jewel in the rough
Illinois just fired John Groce. Say what you want about the program's results lately, they have a top 10 class coming in and if a new coach was able to walk into that program and hold onto those guys, they would be in the driver's seat for years to come.

http://www.thechampaignroom.com/2017...ng-change-news
Old 03-11-2017, 06:18 PM
Brigadier General

Bashing Archie is absolute stupidity. Give me a **** break. He's the best thing to happen to this program and it ain't close. Its happening in multiple threads so i'll scold on this one. Absolute insanity.

In Archie i trust...and we should ALL trust
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BRob2Perryman3 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (03-11-2017), ClaytonFlyerFan (03-13-2017), Flyer2 (03-11-2017), jack72 (03-11-2017), Rita 1 (03-12-2017), ruechalgrin (03-11-2017), SLUFLYER (03-11-2017), Townie (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 06:24 PM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Archie is NOT going to Illinois, NC State, Washington, Missouri, LSU, Clemson, Georgetown, Georgia, or any of the other rumored programs.

Archie only considers leaving for a top 15 program (like Sean did with Arizona). But Archie not leaving Dayton, a top 30/40 program where he loves the President/AD and fans, for another top 30/40 program with an uncertain relationship with the President/AD and fans.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ruechalgrin For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-11-2017), TA111 (03-11-2017)
Old 03-11-2017, 06:40 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,316 Times in 1,328 Posts
CT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeCT Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I'll start by saying I don't think Archie is going anywhere but to me the Illinois job is an interesting one because of the Chicago recruiting opportunities, which Archie has already proven to be good at. I think that job could be a sleeping giant. I even heard Steve Lappas say it was a top 15 job in the country. Again I don't think he's going but I'd also bet Archie would give it a listen.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:44 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Archie can handle it. His teams overachieve sometimes but that one was hard to watch, let alone understand. I'm still shaking my head how fast that 3-point lead evaporated, after clawing (and mostly playing error-prone ball) and scratching to get back. It's my guess we may get by the first contest against a lower seeded team but this team is going to get blown out before long if they keep trending the direction they're going. Did Cunningham play? Is Kyle going to have the freaking yips about defending a 3-point shot? Because he deserves them. Is Pollard even thinking? And Cooke,...is he going to show up for a game or is he just interested in looking good for the camera? Sure looking more like a paper tiger when it comes to our most competitive games against better competition, imo..
Old 03-11-2017, 06:47 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by CT Flyer View Post
I'll start by saying I don't think Archie is going anywhere but to me the Illinois job is an interesting one because of the Chicago recruiting opportunities, which Archie has already proven to be good at. I think that job could be a sleeping giant. I even heard Steve Lappas say it was a top 15 job in the country. Again I don't think he's going but I'd also bet Archie would give it a listen.
any chicago school is gonna get played up by the media. simply because chicago has so much talent right in its backyard. the problem is coaches lately haven't been able to keep them home.

remember when purnell went to depaul...people said oh watch out, he didn't do much for em. its not even about keeping the jabari parkers around either. obviously those types of talents are going elsewhere...its about keeping the next tier kids around.

i remember when self was at illinois and then even weber...they had some great teams..but that seems so long ago now. its intriguing...i'd take illinois over NC state, but thats not saying much.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:12 PM
Colonel

UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Bashing Archie is absolute stupidity. Give me a **** break. He's the best thing to happen to this program and it ain't close. Its happening in multiple threads so i'll scold on this one. Absolute insanity.

In Archie i trust...and we should ALL trust
There is a difference between bashing Archie and being critical. One thing he loves about Dayton is the passionate fans, and passionate fans will be critical of coaches when the team doesn't look prepared, shoot I'll bet Archie was critical of himself. Having said that, I do think Archie is the best coach the Flyers have had in at least 30 years, and I hope and believe he'll be here a long time.
steve (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 03:07 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Duquesne has fired Jim Ferry
Old 03-13-2017, 03:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
Duquesne has fired Jim Ferry
They should hire Archie's Dad.

PS: Only half joking.
Old 03-13-2017, 03:33 PM

FWIW, Greg Amodio, who used to be the Associate AD for Marketing at Xavier, hired Ferry at Duquesne. Amodio is the Quinnipiac AD now.

Dave Harper, the former UD Vice President for University Advancement, is the Duquesne AD now.

https://hoopdirt.com/breaking-duques...ach-jim-ferry/:

"Duquesne’s goal is to be a highly-valued member of the Atlantic 10 Conference,” said Harper. “Success in men’s basketball is paramount to that strategy. Starting today, we will begin a national search. Until the process is complete, we will not comment further on any aspect of the search.”

Eastman & Beaudine will assist in the search; that process will begin immediately.

Last edited by ud2; 03-13-2017 at 03:36 PM..
SeasonTicketFan (03-13-2017)
Old 03-13-2017, 04:35 PM

Coaching carousel firings/hirings tracker.

https://hoopdirt.com/job-tracker-2017/
ClaytonFlyerFan (03-13-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 11:43 AM

https://hoopdirt.com/hot-george-wash...aurice-joseph/:

HOT: George Washington expected to retain Maurice Joseph
14 MAR 2017

HoopDirt.com can confirm multiple reports that George Washington will retain interim head coach Maurice Joseph. While the formal offer has not been presented yet, it is expected to be later today. Joseph, who took over this season after Mike Lonergan was fired, led the Colonials to a 19-14 (10-8 A-10) record, and a berth in the CBI. More on this after the offer is accepted
Old 03-14-2017, 12:49 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Archie's gone!

According to my microwave oven, Archie has hired on as BG's assistant at USF

Last edited by Glen Clark; 03-15-2017 at 12:07 AM..
Old 03-14-2017, 01:24 PM
Colonel

Except, BG is at USF.
Glen Clark (03-15-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 06:55 PM
Brigadier General

I couldn't limbo under the humor bar. Pretty low..
Old 03-15-2017, 04:41 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Well, Cuonzo Martin put in his resignation at Cal.

Here is what it says in the Cal release, though, ""Cuonzo Martin informed me this morning that he is resigning to accept a position at another school."

So, what school has offered him a position already? Was it Missouri or Indiana that someone mentioned somewhere...

Well, the Twitter action says that Missouri offered him.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:33 PM
General

Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Well, Cuonzo Martin put in his resignation at Cal.

Here is what it says in the Cal release, though, ""Cuonzo Martin informed me this morning that he is resigning to accept a position at another school."

So, what school has offered him a position already? Was it Missouri or Indiana that someone mentioned somewhere...

Well, the Twitter action says that Missouri offered him.

Missouri
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-deal-missouri

Old 03-15-2017, 06:45 PM

Lorenzo Romar fired at Washington.

https://hoopdirt.com/breaking-lorenz...ch-washington/
Old 03-15-2017, 08:29 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Glen Clark View Post
Missouri
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...-deal-missouri

Old 03-16-2017, 09:01 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Lorenzo Romar fired at Washington.

https://hoopdirt.com/breaking-lorenz...ch-washington/
Reading the short write up on the link. Was alumna and all, after 15 seasons .... man HC is a rough sport.

Course we all know what happened to DD. To think that at any time, after any season, after a rough patch your job no matter what you did may not be of any value in 'today and the now' as a HC.

So you stay where you are valued as long as you can ... jumping to another place may seem like a soft landing until someone else decides you gotta go.

Now that may happen in the job where you are valued but make them kick you out rather than moving out yourself .... that would be my thinking. Right or wrong as it may be.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:36 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,691 Times in 2,511 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Interesting article in today's DDN, regarding interview with Archie's Dad. Long and short of it is John doesn't think Archie is leaving any time soon.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
Interesting article in today's DDN, regarding interview with Archie's Dad. Long and short of it is John doesn't think Archie is leaving any time soon.
I am skeptical of this...I seem to recall hearing sort of the same thing about Sean at X...something like John advising Sean to stay at X, or John thinking Sean would stay.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:28 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,927 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Link to said article: http://www.mydaytondailynews.com/spo...UhwTru8Gmp5aO/
Old 03-16-2017, 10:58 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
I am skeptical of this...I seem to recall hearing sort of the same thing about Sean at X...something like John advising Sean to stay at X, or John thinking Sean would stay.
Arizona is a top 5 program, remember he turned it down then changed his mind
Old 03-16-2017, 12:21 PM
Lieutenant General

Indiana has fired Tom Crean.

https://twitter.com/GaryParrishCBS/s...09526150193154
Old 03-16-2017, 12:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Indiana fired Tom Crean... here we go lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2017, 12:24 PM
Lieutenant General

Posted via Mobile Device
You're too slow!!!!!!
Old 03-16-2017, 12:24 PM
General of the Air Force

Posted via Mobile Device
Rumor has it Archie is in Indiana already. Oh wait, LOL
15 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (03-16-2017), Dogdaddy (03-16-2017), Eric Southerington (03-16-2017), Figgie123 (03-16-2017), LIBob (03-16-2017), m21eagle45 (03-16-2017), Radar (03-16-2017), rollo (03-16-2017), SeasonTicketFan (03-16-2017), SLUFLYER (03-16-2017), Smitty10 (03-16-2017), Swampy Meadows (03-16-2017), TMPH66 (03-17-2017), ud2 (03-16-2017), UDGutter2 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...s-nine-seasons

I sure won't like the distraction this brings surrounding the Flyers until tip off, particularly in Indianapolis of all places.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:36 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Indiana played a road game when they were eligible for a home NIT game. Said the students were gone on spring break was the reason.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:40 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by SLUFLYER View Post
http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...s-nine-seasons

I sure won't like the distraction this brings surrounding the Flyers until tip off, particularly in Indianapolis of all places.
Archie is a professional, with a team led by 4 seniors who know every game could be their last.

The only people distracted by this are us clowns on message boards, myself included, but I am over it as quick as I typed this.

Go Flyers, shut up all the so called experts and win two this weekend.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (03-16-2017), FLYER5 (03-16-2017), jerseyflyer09 (03-16-2017), TA111 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:41 PM
Major General

Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
IU football and basketball are a hot mess. Run, run, the other way!
Mad Props to Radar For This Totally Excellent Post:
Justin (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 12:44 PM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
IU basketball is not bad. Made the sweet 16 3 times in the last 6 years.

Bob Knight did not make the sweet 16 his last 6 years at Indiana.

Coaches are chasing a dream ... but they just want the money. The Bob Knight glory days are not coming back.
Old 03-16-2017, 12:53 PM
General

crean gets creaned, this is the one that has worried me for some time, the writing was on the wall when they accepted the NIT bid, but said they wanted to go on the road rather than play a home game as the 3 seed.
Old 03-16-2017, 01:08 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Radar View Post
IU football and basketball are a hot mess. Run, run, the other way!
LOL...Never mention IU basketball in the same sentence as IU football. Not even close. Program is a good coach away from being a top 10-15 program again..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-16-2017), jack72 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:20 PM
Colonel

I believe, IIRC, John advised Sean to stay. He said Archie isn't interested in leaving. There's a difference. Archie has seen what happens to coaches who chase the next big thing. I think he's comfortable here.
TA111 (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:23 PM

*BIG TEN OUTRIGHT TITLES IN PAST NINE YEARS*
Tom Crean: 2
John Beilein: 1
Tom Izzo: 1
Thad Matta: 1
Matt Painter: 1
Bo Ryan: 1

I think IU had the right coach it's just their expectations haven't changed from the Bob Knight glory days.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
IAFlyer (03-16-2017)
Old 03-16-2017, 01:42 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,912 Times in 1,082 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
I think IU had the right coach it's just their expectations haven't changed from the Bob Knight glory days.
You mean the coach there has to throw chairs across the court?
Old 03-16-2017, 01:49 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by steve View Post
LOL...Never mention IU basketball in the same sentence as IU football. Not even close. Program is a good coach away from being a top 10-15 program again..
Crean is a good coach. A very good coach. Still too many Knight era fingers (PEOPLE OF INFLUENCE) in the pie on the basketball side. As for football, they'll never get it right. That is why I mentioned both in the same sentence. One school, many (although different) problem, both programs.

LOL.
Old 03-16-2017, 02:22 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud of
Just checked out an Indiana message board to get a feel for their speculation. Lot of love for Archie. Gregg Marshall too. Some debate on Steve Alford.

Here's one thread that debates Archie vs. Alford:
https://indiana.forums.rivals.com/th...miller.149948/
Old 03-16-2017, 03:53 PM
General

Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
Indiana played a road game when they were eligible for a home NIT game. Said the students were gone on spring break was the reason.

Assembly Hall was booked for another event