User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-26-2016, 09:42 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Butler to play NDSU in 2019

Man the Bulldogs bit off a mouthfull. Bisons are better than a lot of D-I schools.
Advertisement
Old 10-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Just off the Jet

AndersonTwpFlyer is on a distinguished road
New make up of Non BCS football

I think theses type of games will become more common for PFL schools.

As I have said before (mostly included in Welcome Stadium / Baujan discussions). Their will be a very different look to NCAA non BCS football. The Big boys will go off by themselves (taking most of the $$$) and leave the rest behind.

UD football will have a opportunity to be one of the bigger fish in this new pond
Old 10-27-2016, 02:07 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by AndersonTwpFlyer View Post
I think theses type of games will become more common for PFL schools.

As I have said before (mostly included in Welcome Stadium / Baujan discussions). Their will be a very different look to NCAA non BCS football. The Big boys will go off by themselves (taking most of the $$$) and leave the rest behind.

UD football will have a opportunity to be one of the bigger fish in this new pond
Really hard for me to see us as a big fish, regardless of the size of the pond. We are nonscholarship. that would have to change. FCS is full of teams that would be very hard for us to compete with on a regular basis. Granted the Non P5 FBS schools would face decisions as to their future. FCS already does without the big bucks for the most part. I follow the NDSU Bisons, as my daughter lives in Fargo and my grandson graduated from NDSU. On an overall basis the Bison program is lightyears ahead of us, and that doesn't mean we have a bad program, on the contrary, our program fits the situation at Dayton very well and is quite successful. I believe most of the adjustment will come among FBS schools that finance expensive programs yet are not P5. Hard for me to see the administration upgrading to a scholarship program, with the increase in costs. Drawing fans would be a problem given OSO and the BIG are in out backyard. Miami is an example of this, bad team few fans, higher costs.
Old 10-27-2016, 04:31 PM
1st Lieutenant

NYFLYERFAN is on a distinguished road
Ivy's have very generous aid packages for families with Adjusted Gross Imcome if $250,000 or less. For the average middle upper middle class family the Ivy option is much more affordable ...As crazy as that sounds. I think the PFL can go way of some sort of stipend route and not break the bank. Last week for the 4 or 5 days of fall break since dining halls were closed the football student athletes were on their own to feed themselves. Little things like maybe football training table for meals could also go a long way. Go Flyers... Beat Stetson
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Just off the Jet

As stated in my Welcome Stadium / Baujan posts, there is BIG change coming to NCAA football in the next 10 years.

The Big schools will continue to take all the $$$ and leave the rest to survive on leftovers. Expense to field a team are: Football Staff, facilities, operations, insurance & scholarships.

As change occurs and money gets tight more & more fully funded schools will consider the UD - Pioneer model and remove all or most of the scholarship line item.

UD can compete as a much bigger fish in that enviroment. The difference between non scholarship and non scholarship programs will narrow.

New leagues, rivals and NCAA championships will emerge.

If UD considers a new stadium build it right! Build it big enough to host a schlorship team/school
Old 10-28-2016, 09:59 AM
Lieutenant General

Non P-5 FBS schools may have an adjustment. FCS schools much less so. the "big money" that the P-5 will draw off, should they bolt, is already missing from the FCS schools and they are doing fine. True there may be some schools that join the Pioneer league model, but the vast majority will continue as they are.
The possibility of moving to a scholarship program at UD are slim and none, and Slim is getting on the outbound train. Believe UD would drop football before incurring the expense of a full or partial scholarship program. Been there done that. We are a basketball centric school. I love the football program, my dad played for Harry B in the late 20's. The present model works for UD, and although some schools or conferences(in FCS) could move to our model, I don't see a huge increase . We already are a big fish in a very small pond(11 teams), and while that pond may expand some we will not compete day in and day out with the full scholarship FCS schools.

Let's say the P-5 bolt, money is tight, schools are shedding scholarships to reduce costs and some programs fold, Why would UD increase it's costs with a large stadium and scholarships? It's hard enough now to compete for fans with the BIG in our backyard, look an Miami.

Last edited by UD62; 10-28-2016 at 10:13 AM..
Old 10-29-2016, 01:00 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I think it would take a massive donation for ud to build a stadium fit for a scholarship program, I am talking about big lottery type money.

I would rather that the ncaa group all non scholarship teams together as Div III and let all of them compete for the Div III championship. I think that would immediately increase attendance, particularly late in the season. I don't like the current model with the small group of teams involved.

The ncaa felt that UD had an unfair advantage in Div III because of it's facilities. You can say the same thing in basketball, that every team with an arena seating more than 10,000 has an unfair advantage over most schools in the A10.

The other thing that could factor into this is the possibility of concussion type injuries. What if someone sues the ncaa or a school for concussion related symptoms suffered while playing football? If that person wins I doubt non scholarship football would survive. UD would drop football like a hot potato and replace it with lacrosse, field hockey, etc
Old 10-29-2016, 01:47 PM
Lieutenant General

I believe the NCAA was correct in it's application of the "Dayton Rule". We had an advantage in facilities, enrollment, and variety of majors offered. Some D-III programs could match us on the field, Mount Union comes to mind, but on the whole we had an advantage. Some schools would be better than us some years, but the Flyers were good every year. Us moving to D-l makes for better competition at the D-lll level. With the PFL having a seat at the playoffs the team has the opportunity to advance every year. Granted with SDU good every year and at least one other school putting together a good team, it is harder to make the playoffs, and once there it is a steep climb to win a game.
Old 10-29-2016, 06:12 PM
1st Lieutenant

NYFLYERFAN is on a distinguished road
Agree it's a tough road. I do think that the too PFL teams, USD, Flyers to name 2 could compete with any Of the Ivy's, all of the NEC's, and bottom half of Patriot.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-31-2016, 01:39 PM
Just off the Jet

I think my post has been mis-interpeted! Back in the Welcome Stadium / Buajan discussion, I was more clear.

I fell UD should continue to operate on the Pioneer model. I also feel we need to continue a up-grade facilities. The distance is programs/ football quality between the UD/Pioneeer model and the Ohio Valley, MEC ETC will narrow with the changing landscape on NCAA football.

If we move back to campus (Baujan) or build our own stadium (leave Welcome), My past posts said that 7500 - 9000 will allow for us to host a games (and draw the crowd/students) vs Ohio Valley & MEC type schools.

It would be nice to see a YSU, EKU, Indiana State type game at our place.

SDSU reaches up to P-5 and competes every once and awhile. We can do the same from our position
Old 10-31-2016, 02:18 PM
Just off the Jet

One last thought

I know we are 1st and foremost a Basketball school and that will never change but.
as a football alumni from the Rick Carter era, we do have a scheduling advantage.

How would YSU, EKU, and maybe SDSU respond to a offer of a flat $$$ to come and play BOTH a Basketball game in the 13,500 seat arena and a football game at our new 8500 seat football venue!
Old 10-31-2016, 04:36 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
Originally Posted by AndersonTwpFlyer View Post

How would YSU, EKU, and maybe SDSU respond to a offer of a flat $$$ to come and play BOTH a Basketball game in the 13,500 seat arena and a football game at our new 8500 seat football venue!
I thought the same thing with something with Butler. Afternoon football and evening basketball. At both schools you trip on the football field and you hit your head on the side of the basketball arenas.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:29 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by NEOFlyer View Post
I thought the same thing with something with Butler. Afternoon football and evening basketball. At both schools you trip on the football field and you hit your head on the side of the basketball arenas.
Pipe dream, all four schools are in the hunt for football playoffs every year, most make it. None would play a OOC game at Dayton that would have to be played in mid November to attach to a basketball game. Ain't going to happen. While the BB team could open against one of the three mentioned, the playoff picture is one of a few things that would prohibit the game, not counting why any of those schools would entertain a game that late, before 3000 fan at best in the first place.

Last edited by UD62; 10-31-2016 at 06:34 PM..