Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-12-2015, 03:57 PM
1st Lieutenant

MichiganFlyer60 is on a distinguished road
Spring Ball

Almost time
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MichiganFlyer60 For This Totally Excellent Post:
mwflyer (03-13-2015), PIONEER 8 (03-13-2015)
Advertisement
Old 03-13-2015, 07:40 AM
2nd Lieutenant

mwflyer has a spectacular aura aboutmwflyer has a spectacular aura about
excited, but.....

I heard a few weeks back there will be no spring game this year I hope/wish the top brass would reconsider. I'm not going to say what happened to cause this decision, but apparently the actions of a few, ruined it for everyone
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to mwflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Always Proud (03-13-2015), chriscage (03-14-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 08:40 AM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
I'm with you MW on both the reconsideration and actions of a few. Although this is not the first occurrence from any years past, this is the toughest stance I've seen. There are even more mitigating circumstances around the one issue that burn me even more. Like you, I'd like to rant, but at this time I will keep some things in house. May be the higher ups can use this time to finalize the schedule and publish it. For some reason UD is always one of, if not the last to release it.
Mad Props to Always Proud For This Totally Excellent Post:
mwflyer (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 10:03 AM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
I was wondering if/when the cancelled spring game would surface here. While disappointing for everyone, this is particularly frustrating for underclassmen (and their parents) who are competing to get on the field and have now lost opportunities to show what they can do. It's also a lost recruiting opportunity.

Without minimizing the seriousness of the conduct of the few, this seems like a disproportionate reaction.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
Always Proud (03-13-2015), mwflyer (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 12:13 PM
Just off the Jet

UD Step-Dad will become famous soon enoughUD Step-Dad will become famous soon enough
"Actions of a few" ? - how about an over-reaction to a situation that happens everyday at Dayton. I am sorry but all of the young men involved are all rock solid young people and this is garbage. For the team to cancel the Spring game is short-sighted and not in the best interest of the team nor the players.

This is not the team paying for the actions of few - this is the football program acting like bad parents by throwing a hissy fit.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD Step-Dad For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 03-13-2015, 12:31 PM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
What's Going On?

Holy Cow! No Spring game? NCAA violations???

Or is this a typical Parochial answer to the class (or team).

I experienced this for 7 years of grade school...sister punished the whole class because of two guys! It still sucks!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer Gramps For This Totally Excellent Post:
Old 03-13-2015, 12:46 PM
2nd Lieutenant

my understanding

From what has been conveyed from my son and a brief discussion with an assistant coach, this was not the football programs decision, this was the University's decision. Apparently they (football) have been warned in years past and this year they decided to put the hammer down. My son told me we were very close to having the program shut down, take that for what it's worth. I find it almost laughable at the approach/discipline the "U" is taking with the football team, considering what went on with a few basketball players earlier in the season. I'm sure there were no threats to shut that program down............
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to mwflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (03-13-2015), MichiganFlyer60 (03-15-2015), PittsburghFlyer (03-13-2015), rollo (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 01:15 PM
1st Lieutenant

Always Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of lightAlways Proud is a glorious beacon of light
Not only is the Spring game cancelled, but so are half of the practices. I'm with all of you on the overreaction. As all have said typical UD overreach. Evidently the action was considered hazing so of course in this day of political correctness we have to overreact. Heaven forbid a private Catholic university not cast hail and ****ation down upon all. Now this has been opened I will divulge a bit. It's ironic the kid and parents who started the fiasco, was later suspended due to another drinking issue and has now decided to transfer. Good luck and good riddance. Now the kids have had to go to alcohol awareness and all the other b.s. demanded by ivory towers and yet have yet to be cut a break. Let's hope there is some common sense brought back into this equation, but based on my experiences with this school... Ain't Gonna Happen.

On another note, we also need another o-line coach. The one they hired already bailed for another position as an OC.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Always Proud For This Totally Excellent Post:
MichiganFlyer60 (03-15-2015), mwflyer (03-13-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 01:56 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
Adding to what MW posted... My understanding is that this is a yearly ritual for the younger players moving out of freshman/redshirt territory up to 'varsity' status. My son was the recipient of the older players 'affection' (I certainly don't want to call it hazing). He was involved in some of the post celebration interviews with the school and coaches but he refused to throw anyone under the bus.

When it was all said and done, he called it the best night of his life. How can you call it hazing when he enjoyed the experience? The night, I would guess, brought him closer to many of his teammates. Sure, there was alcohol involved but what university doesn't have that issue. From the unversity's standpoint, I'm sure they don't want it to spiral out of control in the coming years. Threatening to shut down the program? Maybe the administrators should walk through the Ghetto on any given Saturday.

BTW - Wasn't the president crowd surfing in the Ghetto about this time last year?

Last edited by NEOFlyer; 03-13-2015 at 02:09 PM..
Mad Props to NEOFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
MichiganFlyer60 (03-15-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 08:55 PM
Captain

jmitch will become famous soon enoughjmitch will become famous soon enough
Michigan, bet you didn't think your harmless thread of spring anticipation would have sparked this conversation. And just think, we haven't hit St. Patrick's Day yet. We had at least one player cuffed and stuffed in a police car last year during this event. Here is hoping that a lesson has been learned and all act appropriately this week, even if the punishment of the subject event is disproportionate to the violation.
Posted via Mobile Device
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jmitch For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (03-14-2015), MichiganFlyer60 (03-15-2015), mwflyer (03-14-2015), PittsburghFlyer (03-14-2015), smitch425 (03-14-2015)
Old 03-13-2015, 09:02 PM
Captain

Scout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura aboutScout86 has a spectacular aura about
Heard that there will be some form of game, and The amount practices canceled is 5 or 6, Starters felt like there were a lot of injuries from the spring game so they didn't really care?
Old 03-15-2015, 04:02 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Always Proud View Post
Not only is the Spring game cancelled, but so are half of the practices. I'm with all of you on the overreaction. As all have said typical UD overreach. Evidently the action was considered hazing so of course in this day of political correctness we have to overreact. Heaven forbid a private Catholic university not cast hail and ****ation down upon all. Now this has been opened I will divulge a bit. It's ironic the kid and parents who started the fiasco, was later suspended due to another drinking issue and has now decided to transfer. Good luck and good riddance. Now the kids have had to go to alcohol awareness and all the other b.s. demanded by ivory towers and yet have yet to be cut a break. Let's hope there is some common sense brought back into this equation, but based on my experiences with this school... Ain't Gonna Happen.

On another note, we also need another o-line coach. The one they hired already bailed for another position as an OC.
Sounds to me like the school is taking control and some are excusing "boys will be boys' behavior. If you are unhappy with "this school" you always have the option of seeking education for your son at another school. If RC can't run a clean program get someone who can, or eliminate the program. I've followed Flyer football for over 60 years, my dad played for HB in the 20's, but it is not a major sport at UD. Glad we have it and would hate to see it go, but it is pure expense for the U, unlike MBB.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
MichiganFlyer60 (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 07:22 PM
1st Lieutenant

Full disclosure Jmitch I had heard what happened just thought it was time to air it out. It was too quiet. I love this board.
Mad Props to MichiganFlyer60 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jmitch (03-15-2015)
Old 03-15-2015, 08:43 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by MichiganFlyer60 View Post
Full disclosure Jmitch I had heard what happened just thought it was time to air it out. It was too quiet. I love this board.
It didn't take much to ignite the fire...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-25-2015, 03:28 PM
Captain

NEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really niceNEOFlyer is just really nice
Has anyone heard anything about the spring practice schedule? I've asked my son a number of times if he has any info and, like most other parents, can't seem to get anything out of him.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:39 AM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NEOFlyer View Post
Has anyone heard anything about the spring practice schedule? I've asked my son a number of times if he has any info and, like most other parents, can't seem to get anything out of him.
Count us parents in on the "little / no info" shared. Hopefully get more out of him next week when home for Easter. According to the PFL sight, we are scheduled to have a game. This is contrary to the initial convo we had with him. The recent e-mail by Coach E. did not mention a game either.

http://www.pioneer-football.org/news...ball-schedule/
Old 03-26-2015, 05:08 PM
2nd Lieutenant

dates

April 7,9,10,11,14,16,17,18, times to be determined. Hopefully these are correct. I did not ask about a spring game, I did not want to push my luck
Mad Props to mwflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
MichiganFlyer60 (03-29-2015)
Old 03-26-2015, 07:42 PM
2nd Lieutenant

closer look

I was looking at the dates from above and noticed the 18th is a Saturday and the last practice. I wonder if there could be a "unofficial" spring game that day? I have no information, just wondering a loud............
Old 03-27-2015, 11:43 AM
Captain

FlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really niceFlyerIllini is just really nice
My understanding is that the last practice date (4/18?) is going to used for some kind of intra-squad scrimmage to "replace" the spring game. I didn't get the impression that it would be open to the public. As the parent of a freshman that red-shirted, this whole mess is hugely disappointing. If feels like a couple of years since I've seen my kid on a FB field.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:18 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by FlyerIllini View Post
My understanding is that the last practice date (4/18?) is going to used for some kind of intra-squad scrimmage to "replace" the spring game. I didn't get the impression that it would be open to the public. As the parent of a freshman that red-shirted, this whole mess is hugely disappointing. If feels like a couple of years since I've seen my kid on a FB field.
Illini, traditionally UD has not shut the door on anyone wishing to attend fball practices. So while they might not advertise this as a public display, history would show that they also will not ask you to leave. I have attended a number of intersquad scrimmages in the past that have occurred as part of the practice schedule. The key is actually getting a detailed schedule to know when this might occur.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jmitch For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerIllini (03-27-2015), MichiganFlyer60 (03-29-2015), PIONEER 8 (04-14-2015)
Old 04-01-2015, 01:45 PM
1st Lieutenant

For those not on the e-mail list, I will take the opportunity to do my best cut/paste from Coach Evan's e-mail. I'm sure this is not top secret information.

Dear Flyers,

There has been an update to our spring practice times. You and your families are welcome to attend any of our practice sessions. Below is a list of our current practice schedule. All practices are being held at Welcome Stadium.

Tuesday April 7th: 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Thursday April 9th: 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Friday April 10th: 4:45pm - 6:45pm
Saturday April 11th: 11:00am - 1:05pm
Tuesday April 14th: 6:30pm - 8:35pm
Thursday April 16th: 6:30pm - 8:10pm
Friday April 17th: 4:45pm - 6:30pm
Saturday April 18th: 11:00am - 12:35pm

Hope to see you at Welcome Stadium supporting the Flyers!!!
GO FLYERS
NEOFlyer (04-01-2015), PIONEER 8 (04-14-2015)
Old 04-13-2015, 11:54 AM
Captain

Curious if there are any reports after the first week of spring practice? Anybody attend? Anyone get any info out of their son? The silence is deafening.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:26 PM
Captain

This is the info I've received thus far

1st practice - Great
2nd practice - Terrible
3rd practice - Great

Then -- Too busy

What more could you ask for? Besides my son is not a communication major nor will he ever be.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NEOFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Gramps (04-14-2015), mwflyer (04-14-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Captain

FBUD is a jewel in the roughFBUD is a jewel in the roughFBUD is a jewel in the rough
So, who is going on Saturday for the "Not Spring Game" practice?
Old 04-15-2015, 08:01 PM
1st Lieutenant

Originally Posted by FBUD View Post
So, who is going on Saturday for the "Not Spring Game" practice?
We will be there with a smile, rain or shine. This is our last one and not going to miss it. Of course we will bring groceries down and clothes back home. Got to make the most of the trips. Oh and do the obligatory lunch/dinner.
FBUD (04-16-2015), PittsburghFlyer (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
According to today's DDN, "(The Flyers) won’t play a spring game because of a lack of depth at some positions."

Isn't the Spring game a chance for everyone to secure their spots at open positions???

And with 70+ players, how can there be a lack of depth at any position?
FBUD (04-16-2015), mwflyer (04-16-2015), PittsburghFlyer (04-16-2015)
Old 04-16-2015, 12:32 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Injuries, either serious or nagging?
Old 04-16-2015, 02:19 PM
Captain

As discussed above, the absence of a spring game has nothing to do with injuries or depth. It's a punishment. The "injuries/depth" stuff is just the public face that the Admin. and/or athletic dept. are putting on it.
Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
mwflyer (04-16-2015)
Old 04-17-2015, 06:24 AM
1st Lieutenant

While I know the true reason, it makes you wonder if this isn't the new norm. If I recall, last year there wasn't a true game. It was the convoluted offense versus defense scoring. With "the punishment", only two QB's, one experienced RB who you definitely do not want getting hurt, some defections, and two deep at many positions, this may be somewhat truthful.

I just hope they gel quickly in the Fall. It does stink for the underclassmen looking to make their mark and those parents looking to see them get some game time.
Old 04-17-2015, 09:23 AM
Colonel

Flyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the roughFlyer Gramps is a jewel in the rough
During my first years in introduction to UD football (some in Ohio didn't know they played the sport) it was very disappointing that there was no Freshman team.

For a program that red-shirts most frosh, it could be an uplift for the future years of each player to participate in a few games as well as replace the boredom that must exist for hs stars to be so inactive for a year (or two).
Old 04-17-2015, 09:45 AM
Captain

I don't think this is the new norm. The reality is that they were planning to have a spring game (in some form), and then it got taken away. While I take the point about wanting to be careful with injuries to key positions, it's hard to believe that the coaches aren't able to account for that in a controlled scrimmage environment while still allowing other players to get much needed reps.

Also, and not to be argumentative, but there were 4 QBs at the time this punishment was imposed (one of the freshmen has since decided to transfer), and many more than one RB. That's sort of the point...all of those younger players are the ones really being punished by losing opportunities to show what they can do. Can you tell I'm the parent of one of them?
Old 04-18-2015, 03:06 PM
Captain

FBUD is a jewel in the roughFBUD is a jewel in the roughFBUD is a jewel in the rough
Any updates on today's "not spring game"?
Mad Props to FBUD For This Totally Excellent Post:
MichiganFlyer60 (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 09:31 AM
Captain

I didn't get much detail from my freshmen on the last practice/scrimmage, but here are the takeaways. First, it was essentially just another practice with a 30 min. or so scrimmage at the end. The defense outplayed the offense. This seemed to be different than the periodic texts I would get during the 2 weeks which suggested that the offense was ahead of the defense. Apparently, the defensive coaches felt like the corners could stay with the WRs one-on-one and so they brought alot of pressure which disrupted the offense. I suspect the ability of the relatively inexperienced WRs to create separation is going to be an issue in the fall. Offense likely will be playing with more tempo this year and will have a greater ability to vary tempo with a no-huddle system.

Oh yeah...he had fun.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
FBUD (04-20-2015), Flyer Gramps (04-20-2015), MichiganFlyer60 (04-20-2015), PIONEER 8 (04-20-2015), PittsburghFlyer (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 12:59 PM
Captain

I will give you an uneducated assessment.

I thought it was a well orcherstrated practice/scrimmage. The enthusiasm was very good. There was even a little tussle between a couple players that was broken up pretty quickly.

The defense did seem to be a little ahead of the offense. The pass protection seemed to break down too quickly at times. I was fairly impressed with the passing of the QBs. They seemed to be on target most of the times. When the Qbs did miss they seemed to miss in the right spot by having the receiver with the only chance of making the catch.

The scrimmage didn't last very long at all. It was just good to see the boys out there. My son, as well, enjoyed it and is very much enjoying everything.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to NEOFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FBUD (04-20-2015), Flyer Gramps (04-20-2015), FlyerIllini (04-20-2015)
Old 04-20-2015, 04:35 PM
1st Lieutenant

Dear Flyers,
Our last week of spring practice concluded this past Saturday. This week of spring practice saw the continuation of our unit and team periods along with special teams installation. However, we added a few scrimmages to the end of our practices to increase the intensity and light the fire of the team.
On Thursday, we conducted both a Scripted Scrimmage and a 2nd Down Play 3rd Down Scrimmage. In the Scripted Scrimmage points were given for a gain of 4-yards or more on 1st Down, gaining half the yardage on 2nd Down, and converting 3rd Down. The Scripted Scrimmage saw a number of good hard runs by RB Connor Kacsor, some nice 3rd Down Conversions from QB Blake Bir, and a long Touchdown pass from QB Luke Johnson to TE Gus Madden. On Defense, DE Michael Gray made a nice sack, OLB Chris Hagan Forced a Fumble and OLB Anthony Diorio made a nice Tackle for Loss. At the end of the scripted scrimmage, the Offense won 21-13.
In the 2nd Down Play 3rd Down Scrimmage points were rewarded for any conversion for a first down on 2nd and 8 or on any 3rd Down. Every series would start with a 2nd and 8 and we would play 3rd Down based on where the gain of 2nd and 8 fell. On the very first play of the scrimmage QB Blake Bir and WR Jack Euritt hooked up for a long Touchdown Bomb. Later in the scrimmage QB Blake Bir and WR Cory Stuart would hook up for another long touchdown. For the day, QB Blake Bir would finish 11/14 with two Touchdown Passes. On Defense, CB Ryan Parks broke up a potential 3rd Touchdown Pass from Bir to Euritt. Also, DE Joe DeMuth forced a fumble late in the scrimmage. For the 2nd Down Play 3rd Down Scrimmage the Offense won 6-4.
We concluded Thursday's scrimmage with a Field Goal Competition with K Benton Birch representing the Sophomores, K Michael Ruffolo representing the Juniors and K Willy Will representing the Seniors. Both Birch and Will made 2 of 3 Field Goals while Ruffalo made 1 of 3 Field Goals. Therefore, the Junior class had some additional up-downs at the end of practice.
We had two very important guests at the Thursday Night Practice. Our PA Announcer Dave Ross was in attendance as well as former Flyer and UD Hall of Famer Doug Zimmer. Doug was able to share some of his experiences with the team after practice and as usual there were many laughs as we heard some great stories. It was great to have Dave and Doug in attendance for practice as the Flyers are always excited to show off for our guests.
Saturday, brought the final practice of the spring and we finished with a 30 Minute Scrimmage. There was great competition during the scrimmage and it saw a great back and forth battle between the offense and defense. On Offense, QB Luke Johnson finished 8/10 and added a rushing Touchdown. RBs Tucker Yinger and Jared Ruffing each made good hard runs throughout the day and combined for 5 Catches for 75 Yards. However, the Defense really shined as they accumulated 4 Sacks on the Day and stuffed the offense on three seperate 3rd and 1 situations. OLB Ryan Schwenke, DE Michael Gray, DL Miles Ashleman, and DT Wes Hegemann each forced sacks. Safety Nolan Harmotto forced two pass break-ups to go along with a couple tackles. The Final Score saw the Defense Winning by a total of 20-17.
To start off practice Coach Chamberlin announced the 2015 Captains to the Team. The Captains were voted on by their fellow teammates and they are Safety Danny Leach, Linebacker Chris Beaschler and Wide Receiver Cory Stuart. In addition, we will announce a Special Teams Captain in the Fall.
At the end of practice we announced the Team Champions from our fitness competition. In 4th Place was Team McCoy, 3rd Place Team Cruzen, 2nd Place Team Evans and Winning The Title was Team Phillips. An attached picture of the Phillips Championship Squad is included.
Finally, a very special thanks goes out to the Varsity D Club. As per tradition, the Varsity D Club came out in full support and cooked a BBQ Feast for the team. The players were treated to stories from many Varsity D Members as well as a great meal of Burgers, Hot Dogs, Salads, Chips and Cookies. There was so much food that the players were all able to go home with cases of left-overs. We would like to thank the Varsity D Club for all that they do and for providing the Flyers with another great experience and meal to end our spring.
Our players are finishing up their classes and finals here in the next few weeks. The Coaches will be hitting the road to recruit. Coach Chamberlin will focus on the Dayton Area, Coach Fox will handle Cincinnati, Kentucky and Nashville, Coach Evans will continue in Chicago, Milwaukee, and Northern Indiana, Coach King will take over Columbus, Indianapolis and St. Louis, Coach McCoy will move to Cleveland, Akron, Youngstown and Pittsburgh, Coach Cruzen will take Northwest Ohio and Michigan while Coach Softcheck will handle the East Coast. The Coaches will be busy handing their recruiting areas and working Summer Football Camps.
Keep your eyes open for Ernst Golf Outing News and Summer Updates.
GO FLYERS
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MichiganFlyer60 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FBUD (04-20-2015), Flyer Gramps (04-20-2015), jaburr91 (04-20-2015), PittsburghFlyer (04-20-2015)
Old 12-07-2016, 03:26 PM

Thanked 15,877 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mwflyer View Post
I heard a few weeks back there will be no spring game this year I hope/wish the top brass would reconsider. I'm not going to say what happened to cause this decision, but apparently the actions of a few, ruined it for everyone
Originally Posted by FlyerIllini View Post
I was wondering if/when the cancelled spring game would surface here. While disappointing for everyone, this is particularly frustrating for underclassmen (and their parents) who are competing to get on the field and have now lost opportunities to show what they can do. It's also a lost recruiting opportunity.

Without minimizing the seriousness of the conduct of the few, this seems like a disproportionate reaction.
http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/...ef=cbTopWidget

the truth is out there...
Old 12-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Captain

While the "truth" is out there somewhere, I've learned that it's not always fully embodied in a complaint. Whatever the truth, I feel incredibly bad for this young man as it seems he's really struggled since this incident. Putting aside the merits of his lawsuit, I hope things get better for him.

As an aside, my use of the term "disproportionate" in the quoted language above related to my feeling at the time that the punishment (i.e., cancelling spring practices and game), was disproportionately impacting younger players, including the freshman, who were losing opportunities. Since I wasn't there and don't have any idea what happened, I wasn't intending to comment on whether the punishment was or wasn't appropriate given what transpired.
Mad Props to FlyerIllini For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (12-08-2016)
Old 12-10-2016, 10:13 AM
1st Lieutenant

NYFLYERFAN is on a distinguished road
So this incident happened in 2014 and the 2017 Spring game is off the table? Sorry for the young mans trouble but somewhere in the middle lies the truth I guess.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-10-2016, 11:54 AM
Captain

No...this thread is originally from 2015. The spring game was cancelled that year. This won't impact this spring.