Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-19-2017, 06:02 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
2017-2018 season

Thoughts on next season.

Harris, Burdette, Layfield and perhaps Cannatelli are the firm core for next year.

Key questions:

1) Can Jenna Giacone play point guard ( at least good enough to give Burdette more successful rest than she got this year)

2) Who can provide Harris with rebounding and inside defense help?

3) How much more can Cannatelli provide other than a spot up three point shooter?

4) Can SG get Mandy Dennis to play inside at 6'2" (ie rebounds, defense and
put back shots ? (from what I see, she did not play from the second St. Louis game through the end of the season).

5) Will Scaife and/or Wilmoth make a big improvement next season?

6) Can Breem help item #2 above or too short and not quick enough?

7) Can we get an SGA type size and rebounder? (prefer one who can make short shots & lay-ups and avoid foul trouble).

Can we get another "Harris" quality transfer who would be eligible at mid-season?
Advertisement
Old 03-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,559 Times in 2,452 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
We also have the Butler transfer, Brittany Ward, who is 6'1". She averaged 9.8 points and 7.5 rebounds as a freshman. (Nice person, sat next to her for a while yesterday).
Old 03-19-2017, 07:12 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,128 Times in 5,864 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Ward is a player. She will start or play a bunch of minutes once eligible.

I hope either Giacone or Lauren can play point. Lauren has a long way to go with seeing the court. She needs to work hard on her dribbling with her head up.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Hope a few like Parkinson and Dennis transfer out. Clearly not A10 quality.

Losing arguably our best two players in KA and SGA , coach needs to up the game in recruiting which has been pretty weak for the last several years with no players of real impact since Jenna.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-20-2017, 08:19 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,523 Times in 771 Posts
Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
I'll be curious as to the approach for the non conference schedule. I hope it's not stacked with so many tough road games in a short period of time like this year. It all boils down to conference play and the tourney - the A-10 was the worst I've seen in covering it for 12 years. Yes there was some more balance than normal but look at the post season, all 5 A-10 teams gone by the second round of the WNIT and some embarassing losses, Fordham, STL, Duquesne and GW to Navy. My big concern about next year is losing the matchup advantage of SGA in the middle - there's depth and athleticism coming back otherwise. I also hope UD plays Wright St. - undersized club that has most of it's squad back.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:56 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barney Sentner View Post
I'll be curious as to the approach for the non conference schedule. I hope it's not stacked with so many tough road games in a short period of time like this year. It all boils down to conference play and the tourney - the A-10 was the worst I've seen in covering it for 12 years. Yes there was some more balance than normal but look at the post season, all 5 A-10 teams gone by the second round of the WNIT and some embarassing losses, Fordham, STL, Duquesne and GW to Navy. My big concern about next year is losing the matchup advantage of SGA in the middle - there's depth and athleticism coming back otherwise. I also hope UD plays Wright St. - undersized club that has most of it's squad back.
I want someone in the middle who can put the ball in the hoop inches out. It was painful to watch the ineptitude in not scoring under the hoop time and time again. I'll take toughness any day over just size.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (03-23-2017), jack72 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 01:51 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
I want someone in the middle who can put the ball in the hoop inches out. It was painful to watch the ineptitude in not scoring under the hoop time and time again. I'll take toughness any day over just size.
I agree. Harris, Layfield and Scaife can get to the easy shot at will, but they have to start hitting 60%. Sounds like Breen and Berry could be that way. I like the lady they offered from Noblesville because she makes most point blank shots.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 02:18 PM
General of the Air Force

Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Know about Sam Breen and Brittany Ward but who is Berry and the lady from Noblesville
Old 03-20-2017, 02:40 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,114 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
Lady from Nobelsville:

https://twitter.com/INFlightThunder/...86749101301765
Mad Props to jaburr91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 03:07 PM
Captain

UDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the roughUDSpud is a jewel in the rough
Lady from Noblesville

Isn't she a senior in high school next year? If so, not likely to help us next season.

Thanks to Lifelong Flyer Fan and jack72 for Brittany Ward reminder (I had forgotten). Do we know yet when she will be eligible to play?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by UDSpud View Post
Isn't she a senior in high school next year? If so, not likely to help us next season.

Thanks to Lifelong Flyer Fan and jack72 for Brittany Ward reminder (I had forgotten). Do we know yet when she will be eligible to play?
My understanding is Brittany Ward will be eligible in Jan 2018 second semester. Just in time for A-10 season. (Via chalktalk)
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 03:14 PM
General of the Air Force

Emily Kiser video:

http://www.ncsasports.org/womens-bas...ol/emily-kiser

Last edited by Avid Flyer; 03-20-2017 at 03:19 PM..
jack72 (03-20-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 03:22 PM

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Hope a few like Parkinson and Dennis transfer out. Clearly not A10 quality.

Losing arguably our best two players in KA and SGA , coach needs to up the game in recruiting which has been pretty weak for the last several years with no players of real impact since Jenna.
Posted via Mobile Device
Scaife was Top-50. Giacone was Top-80. Wilmoth was Top-150. Penn was Top-30 but transferred through no real fault of Shauna's. Oglesby was a hidden gem but 2 ACLs after committing. The international girl never arrived, played at Florida, but will soon play for Maryland.

We've had solid kids in the pipeline. The coaching change affected the continuity. Usually takes a cpl years to get it back.

But I still agree, Green will be scored on her ability to recruit immediate impact players that are mid-pack Big-10 level talents. UD does not compete for A10 players. To win the A10 every year and win an NCAA game, you need Big10 talent.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (03-23-2017), jaburr91 (03-20-2017), UDBrian (03-23-2017)
Old 03-20-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by Avid Flyer View Post
Know about Sam Breen and Brittany Ward but who is Berry and the lady from Noblesville
Sorry, meant Ward. I wish I had a scoop on a 6'6" stud named Berry.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:10 PM
Captain

emily kiser - posts # 9 & 12

Per Emily Kiser's twitter account - She also has offers from Indiana 2/10 and Michigan 2/13. No verbal commit I can see.

Also plays volleyball, so probably can jump. Needs a great UD visit or probably going B10.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:06 PM
General of the Air Force

Per Emily Kiser's twitter account - She also has offers from Indiana 2/10 and Michigan 2/13. No verbal commit I can see.

Also plays volleyball, so probably can jump. Needs a great UD visit or probably going B10.
Also a offer from Princeton. Need to get her on campus. 2/25.

I'm sure Shauna Green is on top of it and a few others.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:49 AM

I mentioned before, my daughter-in-law (Purdue grad) taught her Chemistry, and put in a good word for UD. She is undecided at this point.
jaburr91 (03-21-2017)
Old 03-21-2017, 10:14 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
I have seen Sam Breen play 5 times this year. It is my opinion that if you like Kizer, you are going to love Breen.

Last edited by Class of 73 Alum; 03-21-2017 at 10:46 AM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Class of 73 Alum For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (03-21-2017), jack72 (03-21-2017), UDBrian (03-23-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 01:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
What happened to giacone? Didn't she have her best games early in the season? Was she injured? Jabir said that she could play the point but I doubt she has the quickness to protect the ball. Am I wrong?

Scaife can be really good, she gets to the rim at will. If I were her I would play one on one and practice finishing against a good defender.

Shauna has been aware from day 1 that they have an issue next year with depth. I think she has probably spent some time recruiting Jucos and overlooked freshmen who can help next year particularly at point guard

Layfield took some steps this year, you hope that she continues to improve

I will be surprised if we do not sign another non usa player

Wilmouth played some really good minutes down the stretch so hopefully she can really improve between now and next season
Old 03-24-2017, 02:53 PM
Lieutenant General

maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
Hopefully Parkinson transfers. She made one ( 1) basket all year, playing just 49 minutes and she was terrible last year. Completely unprepared for this level of competition. Would not miss Dennis much either. She regressed from a lackluster freshman year, scoring only 39 points vs a meager 99 in the year prior. We need to recruit better players.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-24-2017)
Old 03-24-2017, 05:45 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
Wonder if UD coaching staff knows of this girl. She is a beast...and I mean that in the most flattering way.

http://triblive.com/sports/college/p...asketball-team
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Class of 73 Alum For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-24-2017), jack72 (03-24-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 12:19 AM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
What happened to giacone? Didn't she have her best games early in the season? Was she injured?
She missed last half of the season with an injury.

Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDBrian (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 08:59 AM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I'm unsure if Dennis or Parkinson can improve enough to be reliable contributors. But, I wouldn't want either of them to transfer. The team has a ton of open scholarships and the women are allowed more than men. Even though they also practice against men volunteers you still need a good number of players for practice situations.

I've mentioned this before... I have always been impressed with the noticeable improvement made by ud women players in the off season. I haven't noticed that as much in the past two years. I don't think Dennis or Parkinson are afraid to bang with other players. If they can made big strides in their shooting they could contribute

The freshmen had some good moments. With the right work in the off season we could be in decent shape everywhere except point guard and wishing we had another 6'5" center. And hopefully we have a new recruit coming in to give Jenna some relief
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-25-2017), jack72 (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 09:40 AM
Lieutenant General

Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Coach Green was looking at some JUCO's this week. I emailed the link in Class of '73's post to the WBB office. The Pitt player may already have her next school, but you never know.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-25-2017), UDBrian (03-25-2017)
Old 03-25-2017, 06:56 PM
Captain

Question 2017-2018 season- better than men?

Given recent events. I think it is possible, if not probable, that the women end up with a better record than the men. Since Brittany Ward is only the second half of the season (A-10 part), it may be more possible that the women make the NCAA's than the men.

The above becomes even more possible, if SG can recruit a good center or point guard to help for next season especially if the men's 2017-2018 freshmen class shrinks as anticipated.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:11 PM
General of the Air Force

Whether the team has better prospects than the men will depend upon keeping recruits and kostas

It will be interesting to see if interest in the women increases if the men have a rough year or two

I would think that a possible center recruit would need to come from overseas but you never know who might still be available
Old 03-25-2017, 08:42 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
So relative failure for the men is good for the women?
Old 03-25-2017, 10:01 PM

Sid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant futureSid Louick has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Class of 73 Alum View Post
Wonder if UD coaching staff knows of this girl. She is a beast...and I mean that in the most flattering way.

Apparently Jabir offered her out of HS.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:58 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sid Louick View Post
Apparently Jabir offered her out of HS.
Then Shauna would most likely have been involved as well.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:04 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
So relative failure for the men is good for the women?
I would rather not find out. there have been cases at other schools where fans left mens games to watch the women games held in another gym. i would not want that to happen at ud
Old 03-26-2017, 11:20 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I would rather not find out. there have been cases at other schools where fans left mens games to watch the women games held in another gym. i would not want that to happen at ud
That will not happen at UD because they play in the same location. The women are more likely to pick up some fans of MBB if those fans are in a good mood because the MBB team is doing well.

For example, I was in Louisville for the WBB NCAA. If the men had won on Friday night, I think more people would have felt like making the trip to Louisville on Saturday.

As a devoted fan of both, how one team is doing doesn't affect my attendance at either. And if one wins when the other loses, it helps keep me out of a funk! But it is much more fun when they both do well.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:14 PM
General of the Air Force

Let's hope that ud hires a coach who can keep the recruiting class together because great days are ahead.

This season was so important for the women because it kept a lot of recruiting doors open, it is easy to explain one sub par season but two in a row wouldn't look good
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 03:39 PM
Brigadier General

jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future

Wouldn't mind landing this B10 Nebraska transfer either!!

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/womens-...33a2d29f8.html
Old 03-27-2017, 10:15 PM

Originally Posted by jaburr91 View Post
Wouldn't mind landing this B10 Nebraska transfer either!!

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/womens-...33a2d29f8.html
Amen to her. She is stud, but probably out of our reach.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:54 PM
Captain

Re: Jessica Shepard

SG should, especially if OK with Nebraska, make a very visible attempt to recruit Jessica Shepard. Even if she is unsuccessful it would send a message to future recruits that we are trying to get much better.

The message should include Harris's transfer situation in Harris's own words ( I would presume she is generally happy with how thing have turned out so far at Dayton). I would also include, if true, a note from Ms. Bias on how well she was treated by all in Dayton through her hardship.

Finally, mention that Ally and Andrea did get a significant WNBA try.
Mad Props to UDSpud For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (03-30-2017)
Old 03-30-2017, 11:32 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
Hopefully Parkinson transfers. She made one ( 1) basket all year, playing just 49 minutes and she was terrible last year. Completely unprepared for this level of competition. Would not miss Dennis much either. She regressed from a lackluster freshman year, scoring only 39 points vs a meager 99 in the year prior. We need to recruit better players.
Posted via Mobile Device

MD07 - throwing student-athletes under the bus since 2007

Mad Props to Glen Clark For This Totally Excellent Post:
Brad S. (03-31-2017)
Old 03-31-2017, 09:10 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanks, Glenn Absolutely, and proud of it. Just stating facts. Both are terrible and not contributing to the advancement of the program. As in business, you cull the weak and bring in better or more committed talent.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:40 AM
General of the Air Force

I disagree on forcing either of them out. i consider them under contract with ud, they were asked to be here. If they want to stay with possible limited playing time that is up to them. i have always felt that if a university misjudges the talent of a player they own that bad business decision.

The only way I would agree to anyone being forced out is if they are not working to improve. If they are only going through the motions to get the free scholarship they need to step up. It is definitely expected that you will strive to improve while you are under scholarship

The other thing is that UD has a large number of scholarships available. This isn't a case of trying to make room for a superstud
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-31-2017), Brad S. (03-31-2017), Cardsflyer (03-31-2017), jack72 (03-31-2017), UACFlyer (04-05-2017), UDaMan (03-31-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 06:52 AM
General of the Air Force

UD has had success with foreign players, here would be a great get and still available for next season it appears

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girl...ia-reisigerova
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 07:56 AM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
If you look at the recruiting on the ESPN Women's College Basketball page under the recruiting site, there are several girls on the 2019 tab that are from Ohio. I hope we are in on these players and trying to get them into UD for a visit and see what we have to offer.

Go Flyers!
Old 04-05-2017, 05:39 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Cardsflyer View Post
If you look at the recruiting on the ESPN Women's College Basketball page under the recruiting site, there are several girls on the 2019 tab that are from Ohio. I hope we are in on these players and trying to get them into UD for a visit and see what we have to offer.
Go Flyers!
Green has commented at each season ticket holder 'chalk talk' this year about how loaded Ohio is in 2019 and 2020.
Cardsflyer (04-17-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 07:55 PM
Brigadier General

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/856288190751289344

Pitt transfer Brenna Wise (6-0 soph. F; Pitt's top scorer) recently visited Indiana; hearing Ohio State and Dayton are also in the mix.
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-23-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 09:22 AM

UD was in the NCAA, as usual, while Indiana went to the NIT. IU has made one NCAA in the last fifteen years. Brenna you need to come to a great program, not a pretender.
jaburr91 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-24-2017, 10:39 AM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
UD was in the NCAA, as usual, while Indiana went to the NIT. IU has made one NCAA in the last fifteen years. Brenna you need to come to a great program, not a pretender.
Which is why our 5 star de-commit Jaelynn Penn's decision to go there surprised me.

Indiana also landed one of the ND transfers.

Last edited by Lifelong Flyer Fan; 04-24-2017 at 10:43 AM..
Old 04-24-2017, 02:31 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Brenna would be huge get for UD...saw them both play in high school and Brenna, in my opinion, was stronger and more athletic than Breen. Would love to see this happen!!!

Last edited by Class of 73 Alum; 04-24-2017 at 06:43 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Class of 73 Alum For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (04-24-2017), UDBrian (04-24-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:31 AM
Brigadier General

Looks like we may have our first 2017 signee -- Ti'Aera Phillips from JUCO Chipola College out of Marianna, FL.

Welcome Ti'Aera!!

https://twitter.com/ChipolaWBB/statu...26676006625280
http://www.wjhg.com/content/sports/E...420547443.html

http://www.hudl.com/profile/3531388/...hillips/videos

Last edited by jaburr91; 04-27-2017 at 09:38 AM..
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jaburr91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bob G (04-27-2017), Cardsflyer (04-27-2017), fuz_forward (04-27-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-27-2017), rollo (04-27-2017), UDaMan (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 12:26 PM
Brigadier General

Brenna would be huge get for UD...saw them both play in high school and Brenna, in my opinion, was stronger and more athletic than Breen. Would love to see this happen!!!
Wise still has Dayton in her final 5!! Need to get her on campus!!

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/857613537077850114
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 04:51 PM
Brigadier General

Green sends teaser tweet -- reference to Phillips or another??

https://twitter.com/Shauna_Green/sta...62108829454338
Old 04-27-2017, 09:36 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Green sends teaser tweet -- reference to Phillips or another??

https://twitter.com/Shauna_Green/sta...62108829454338
https://mobile.twitter.com/RufusKingGBB/status/857748299092197376

Shakeela Fowler JuCo transfer who began at Illinois state. Nice!
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (04-27-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 09:46 PM
Brigadier General

Lots to like about Fowler!

http://goredbirds.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4214
Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-27-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 10:55 PM

Why did she go to junior college after playing so well at a mid major D1 school?

I assume she can play immediately. That gives us a #2 PT guard we definitely need.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2017, 01:54 AM

The general rule on JUCOs is one of three shortcomings:

1. Talent
2. Grades
3. Attitude

I make no representation whatsoever about whether any of those apply here. Just speaking in generalities. That she originally landed at D-I and made MVC All Frosh Team tells me it was not talent. And I offer zero evidence it was the other two.

Old 04-28-2017, 10:42 AM
Lieutenant General

Maybe she wanted to transfer, but just didn't want to sit a year and spend 5 years in college.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 10:47 AM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Generally it isn't attitude either.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (04-28-2017)
Old 04-28-2017, 12:41 PM
Brigadier General

ISU is not a very good basketball team -- they were 8-23 this year.

They finished 8-22 in Fowler's freshman year and were 2-28 the year before.

Last edited by jaburr91; 04-28-2017 at 12:44 PM..
Old 04-29-2017, 02:43 PM
Captain

2017-2018 season - Fowler?

I started this thread on March 19th, 2017. At that time my first question was -
"Can Jenna Giacone play point guard?.

If Fowler plays for Dayton next year, I will assume, until proven otherwise, that SG says "NO".

If Fowler comes, I hope she has both the following two skills - very, very quick and very good at the dribble. Without the former, at 5'3", she will be a defensive liability without the size and strength to offset the lack of quickness. (Watch Steph Curry on defense). Jenna Burdette is listed at 5'8" and had some trouble with bigger and stronger or quicker point guards (ie turnovers and tiring)

She also needs both skills to bring the ball up court and start the offense in relief of Jenna Burdette.

Time will tell.
Old 04-29-2017, 06:18 PM

And a great dribble with both hands. That last Jr College PG could never go left.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Captain

2017-2018 season - Jack72 comment

Thanks for the great addition to my post on 4-29-17. Sorry I missed it on my comment.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:20 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Updated scholarship tree with Breen removed, Ti'Aera Phillips added, Shakeela Fowler added, bit of update on Blais and Giacone - 15 ships allowed - 3 ships still open for 2017 (2 if Blais returns) and 3 or 4 (depending on Blais) for 2018.

2018 Class (2022 Seniors) -

2017 Class (2021 Seniors) -

2016 Class (2020 seniors) - Scaife, Wilmoth, Giacone (though injured for much of 2016-17, seems ineligible for redshirt),Ward(Butler transfer. Assuming she gets a medical redshirt for 2016-17, she would be in this class but not available until end of first semester in December 2017)

2015 Class (2019 seniors) - Cannatelli, Parkinson, Dennis, Phillips (Juco transfer from Chipola College), Fowler (Juco transfer from Trinity Valley Community College)

2014 Class (2018 seniors) - Burdette, Layfield, Harris(PSU transfer), Blais (reportedly scheduled to graduate in 2017 - available in this class IF she returns to playing status and IF she requests and gets 6th year NCAA approval - would seem long odds for both to happen)
Old 05-02-2017, 01:11 AM
General of the Air Force

Blais not redshirting, graduating and moving on. Sure could use her.
jaburr91 (05-02-2017)
Old 05-02-2017, 07:50 AM

I doubt that Blais is physically able to play.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (05-02-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-02-2017)
Old 05-06-2017, 03:08 PM
Captain

update to post # 56.

I found a box score for the March 2017 game between Trinity Valley ( S. Fowler ) and Chipola College ( Tiaera Phillips ) won by Trinity.

Fowler played 37 of 40 minutes and Phillips played 29 minutes. Neither shot well from the field. ( Fowler 3-10 and Phillips 1-8 ) Fowler did make 6 of FTM.

Fowler led her team with 5 assists and only 2 fouls, but 4 turnovers. Phillips had 5 fouls.

Could not tell if either or both played point guard, but Fowler had 4 TO's and Phillips, 1 TO
Old 05-19-2017, 10:00 AM
Brigadier General

Wise still has Dayton in her final 5!! Need to get her on campus!!

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/857613537077850114
Hoping to hear good news on this one.....

https://twitter.com/AEricksonCD/stat...56672018247680
Lifelong Flyer Fan (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 12:11 PM
General of the Air Force

We are still shy an assistant coach. 10 players on roster (1 being a walk on) 3 coming in and 2 ships open.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:30 PM
Brigadier General

Lost out on Wise.

I don't know what they're selling over at Indiana given the WBB history but they are getting it done on the recruiting front these days!!

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/865612222487302147
Old 05-19-2017, 01:43 PM
General of the Air Force

Oh well, time to move on. Surprised they didn't get Sam Breen with John Miller there.

Maybe some prefer playing in the WNIT
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (05-19-2017), jaburr91 (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 03:47 PM
Major

Cardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of lightCardsflyer is a glorious beacon of light
At this point what does our starting lineup look like?

Burdette
Harris
Layfield
Cannatelli
Wilmoth or Scaife

Ward will get some good playing time when eligible, but will she start? How about the new players. They are both guards.

We are lacking in height, size and length...I do like a smaller lineup though pushing it up the floor.

Go Flyers!
Old 05-19-2017, 03:49 PM
Major

Lost out on Wise.

I don't know what they're selling over at Indiana given the WBB history but they are getting it done on the recruiting front these days!!

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/865612222487302147
I think it is that Big Ten allure...although playing in the NCAA has become a pretty good bet for the Flyers!
Old 05-19-2017, 03:57 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Cardsflyer View Post
I think it is that Big Ten allure...although playing in the NCAA has become a pretty good bet for the Flyers!
Or the candy stripe pants!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jaburr91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (05-22-2017), jack72 (05-20-2017)
Old 06-12-2017, 07:10 PM
Captain

2017-2018 eason outlook udpdated

On 3-19-2017, I posted 7 -8 questions regarding the upcoming season.

Number 6 about Breem helping is a firm NO

None of the others, other than the addition of Ward can be answered yes so far.

The two Juco transfers at least add depth behind Jenna. Hopefully Fowler has the speed, quickness and handle to bring the ball up court when Jenna is gassed.

I see little rebounding help for Harris, so she needs to stay out of foul trouble.
(Harris will get some help from Layfield, despite Layfield's lack of size)

So far, the 2018-2019 season looks really bad at power forward and center ( Parkinson ?)

This team is loaded with shooting or two guards and has some small forward- wing guards like the old Amber Deane position.

Right now it looks like a fair to good 2017-2018 season and a poor 2018-2019
season.
Old 06-14-2017, 02:08 PM
Brigadier General

Rule changes for 2017-18 season.

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/875050984006987778
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jaburr91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (06-14-2017), rollo (06-14-2017)
Old 06-22-2017, 09:17 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Wasn't sure if this was the correct thread for this but I saw a 6'5" center has been released from her LOI at one UD and is considering our UD.

http://www.delawareonline.com/story/...uit/421660001/
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
jaburr91 (06-23-2017), jack72 (06-23-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-23-2017)
Old 06-23-2017, 12:59 AM

#82 nationally by ESPN.

Old 07-05-2017, 06:19 PM
Brigadier General

Kiser commits to Michigan.

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status/882710231154905090