UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > STEVEN E. YUHAS MEMORIAL LOUNGE > Off-Topic Gibberish

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-28-2021, 01:03 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 14,763 Times in 6,561 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Rudy the Wonderdog - RIP

Just shy of his 16th birthday, Rudy the Wonderdog and official mascot of UDPride, had to be put down today. At 8 months old we rescued him from some hillbilly, chain-smoking, abusive household and with lots of love, ice cream, and squirrel and deer chasing throughout the Oakwood palatial estate, he immediately found a permanent and loving family.

Rudy the Wonderdog...RIP my good friend!

Out of respect, I do hereby command that all of UDPride fly their UD Banners at half-staff thru the weekend. Failure to comply will result in a non-invitation to the next Royal Roundtable, that will be dedicated to Rudy. In other words, everyone gets a treat!

So let it be written. So let it be done.

King Rollo the Mourner...OUT!

(FWIW, he was a golden-doodle...as if there were any doubt.)
cj (04-28-2021), ClaytonFlyerFan (04-28-2021), cralford (12-01-2021), frisco flyer (04-29-2021), JimBo (04-29-2021), Mich Flyer (04-28-2021), Monster Man (04-28-2021), Phinhead54 (04-28-2021), San Diego Flyer (04-28-2021), ud2 (04-28-2021), Viperstick (04-30-2021)
Advertisement
Old 04-28-2021, 01:22 PM
Major General

Thanked 5,364 Times in 1,956 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
So sorry, I know that is a gut wrenching decision even though it is made out of love.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 01:47 PM
1st Lieutenant

Clear Prop is a name known to allClear Prop is a name known to allClear Prop is a name known to allClear Prop is a name known to allClear Prop is a name known to allClear Prop is a name known to all
So sorry for your loss Rollo.
Mad Props to Clear Prop For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 02:22 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,071 Times in 1,054 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
So I now know why some flags are at half staff in the area.
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 02:41 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
The million-heirs want to bury him in the back yard as a memorial to his greatness...but I suggested instead we just buy some of that fake puke and poop and occasionally leave it around the house as a memorial to his greatness...and they immediately took me out of the texting conversation.

So I guess it's not my decision to make.
Old 04-28-2021, 03:41 PM

Phinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to beholdPhinhead54 is a splendid one to behold
RIP Doggo.
Mad Props to Phinhead54 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 03:49 PM

flyercasey has a reputation beyond reputeflyercasey has a reputation beyond reputeflyercasey has a reputation beyond reputeflyercasey has a reputation beyond reputeflyercasey has a reputation beyond reputeflyercasey has a reputation beyond reputeflyercasey has a reputation beyond reputeflyercasey has a reputation beyond reputeflyercasey has a reputation beyond reputeflyercasey has a reputation beyond reputeflyercasey has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
The million-heirs want to bury him in the back yard as a memorial to his greatness...but I suggested instead we just buy some of that fake puke and poop and occasionally leave it around the house as a memorial to his greatness...and they immediately took me out of the texting conversation.

Truly manís best friend!
RIP Rudy!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to flyercasey For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 04:11 PM
General

Thanked 7,335 Times in 3,124 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
. At 8 months old we rescued him from some hillbilly, chain-smoking, abusive household

..but I suggested instead we just buy some of that fake puke and poop and occasionally leave it around the house as a memorial to his greatness...
Pot meet Kettle

Sorry to hear of Rudy passing. He had a great 16 years of royal life.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 04:26 PM

Thanked 4,783 Times in 2,520 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Didnít you get him from CFF?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-28-2021, 04:26 PM

Thanked 8,723 Times in 4,176 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear this, but who are you going to blame the royal farts on now?
Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-29-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 05:19 PM

Thanked 15,116 Times in 4,383 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
May the Viscount of Oakwood rest a 1000 peaceful dog years.

C. M. Rieman | Publisher | 937.361.4630 | Get the latest here:

Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-28-2021)
Old 04-28-2021, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by cj View Post
Didnít you get him from CFF?
Posted via Mobile Device
Nope. Some hillbilly in Huber Heights...which, I know, really doesn't narrow anything down...
Old 04-28-2021, 11:39 PM

Thanked 4,762 Times in 3,199 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
RIP Rudy. I had to put down my previous dog, worst thing I've ever been thru. Absolutely brutal. Will never forget that awful experience.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-29-2021)
Old 04-29-2021, 12:53 AM
General

Thanked 2,484 Times in 1,201 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute

A benevolent king you are not.
Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (04-29-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 04:00 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
My dog just passed away unexpectedly a couple hours ago, just had her 13th birthday, she was such a good girl, such a good dog, still in absolute shock, having a lot of trouble processing what in the world just happened, say a prayer for me. Absolutely brutal, laid down right in front of me on the kitchen floor and just died.

She had had trouble breathing over the last 9 months or so, we thought she had laryngeal paralysis, so we went and saw a veterinary surgeon last month, the surgeon confirmed our diagnosis, but he recommended against having the tie back surgery, saying that she was still in pretty good shape breathing-wise.

I would like some answers about what happened, not sure if vets do autopsies.

Can't believe this. We gave her a very good life, she was very happy, loyal, playful, and loving. Will always remember her.

RIP.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyercasey (05-21-2021), frisco flyer (05-21-2021), rollo (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 04:19 PM

Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
Dogs are great companions. I had a bunch of them throughout my youth. So sad when they die, as they love and trust you enthusiastically from birth till death. Cats, however, are complete A$$####s.

Last edited by Fudd; 05-21-2021 at 04:22 PM..
Old 05-21-2021, 04:29 PM

Thanked 4,783 Times in 2,520 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Sorry to hear. What kind of dog. We have a 14y pug with breathing issues. He takes a controlled substance cough suppressant to help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-21-2021, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by cj View Post
Sorry to hear. What kind of dog. We have a 14y pug with breathing issues. He takes a controlled substance cough suppressant to help.
Posted via Mobile Device
Cockapoo: first generation cocker spaniel/poodle mix. Her mother was a cocker spaniel, the father was a poodle. Looked almost entirely like a cocker spaniel though, only had a small amount of poodle curl around her ears and the top of her head.

I had a vet appointment scheduled for later this afternoon, she did not look real good last night and this morning, but it did not look drastic, but I wanted to be sure. Wish I had taken her to the ER vet last night had I known it was this serious.

Had no idea she was in that much distress.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:42 PM

Ohio State does autopsies, at least one local vet also does autopsies, but he is off until Tuesday, probably too late by then.
Old 05-21-2021, 04:43 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
Dogs are great companions. I had a bunch of them throughout my youth. So sad when they die, as they love and trust you enthusiastically from birth till death. Cats, however, are complete A$$####s.
Iím an animal lover thatís had great dogs and cats. Iíve never understood the animosity that people have towards cats. In most cases, people that donít like cats have never owned one as a pet.
Mad Props to Monster Man For This Totally Excellent Post:
Southwest (05-27-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Monster Man View Post
I’m an animal lover that’s had great dogs and cats. I’ve never understood the animosity that people have towards cats. In most cases, people that don’t like cats have never owned one as a pet.
I've had a lot of cats. I have a cat now and enjoy it. But they display minimal affection for people compared to dogs, which I find humorous. They could care less when you try to get them to do something while a dog is eager to please.

I am an animal lover. I enjoy them a lot. I don't like animals suffering, but I sometimes think our society has gone overboard with pet obsession. I wish some people treated other people with the care they give their pets. That is what strikes me as "out of place" sometimes.

Last edited by Fudd; 05-21-2021 at 05:10 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Fudd For This Totally Excellent Post:
Monster Man (05-21-2021), UDEE79 (05-21-2021)
Old 05-21-2021, 05:18 PM

Thanked 2,184 Times in 949 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
I've had a lot of cats. I have a cat now and enjoy it. But they display minimal affection for people compared to dogs, which I find humorous. They could care less when you try to get them to do something while a dog is eager to please.

I am an animal lover. I enjoy them a lot. I don't like animals suffering, but I sometimes think our society has gone overboard with pet obsession. I wish some people treated other people with the care they give their pets. That is what strikes me as "out of place" sometimes.
I am not a fan of referring to pets as "fur babies"
Old 05-21-2021, 05:21 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Monster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond reputeMonster Man has a reputation beyond repute

Thereís no denying that dogs and cats have differing personalities. They both have unique positive and negative characteristics.
Old 05-22-2021, 11:17 AM

Yes, dogs are good companions, they are very trusting. Cockapoos are great dogs, I have nothing but good things to say about them.

I never had a dog or cat growing up, my mom was allergic to pet hair, we only had a few hamsters and gerbils.

The transition for a dog to becoming a senior-aged dog imo is very subtle, I think they like to always be looked upon as a younger dog/puppy, my dogs never really entirely lost their puppy hood, they were always at heart still puppies, even if their age and behavior said otherwise. Slowly they just slow down: less interest in play time, less interest in going for a walk, and more time napping/sleeping longer, but always very excited to see you and always excited to get a treat to eat.

With the first dog, I did not realize how attached I would become to it, they leave a mark on you.

Ricky Gervais had a good line, something like: "dogs are great, they come up to you and say 'hi, nice to meet you, need a kidney(donation)?'" They are there for you.

This was very traumatic, I guess I am glad that I was there when she passed, but this terrible visual memory has been forever burned into my brain, that is always going to be there now.

Last edited by ud2; 05-22-2021 at 11:29 AM..
rollo (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 02:27 PM

After 1 week of not having the Wonderdog to wake up and take the morning walk with, the Queen and I decided we had to start looking for another Royal pet. Not a replacement for Rudy, as that is impossible, but - as they say is sports - Ďnext man upí. After a couple days of searching we - the Queen and Princess - found an 8-week old litter of mini Golden Doodles up in Amish country. So we made the trip up last weekend and came home with Bailey, who is the cutest darn puppy I could ever imagine.

After 1 week at home she only gets up once at night, and is pretty much potty trained (as long as youíre paying attention to her sniffing). So, while life isnít the same at the Palatial Estate, it is getting back to normal.

ud2, I feel for you, brother, and wish you well. FWIW, donít hesitate looking for your Ďnext man upí, even if it is a female.

King Rollo the Impulsive...OUT!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to rollo For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (05-22-2021)
Old 05-22-2021, 05:27 PM

After 1 week of not having the Wonderdog to wake up and take the morning walk with, the Queen and I decided we had to start looking for another Royal pet. Not a replacement for Rudy, as that is impossible, but - as they say is sports - ‘next man up’. After a couple days of searching we - the Queen and Princess - found an 8-week old litter of mini Golden Doodles up in Amish country. So we made the trip up last weekend and came home with Bailey, who is the cutest darn puppy I could ever imagine.

After 1 week at home she only gets up once at night, and is pretty much potty trained (as long as you’re paying attention to her sniffing). So, while life isn’t the same at the Palatial Estate, it is getting back to normal.

ud2, I feel for you, brother, and wish you well. FWIW, don’t hesitate looking for your ‘next man up’, even if it is a female.

Posted via Mobile Device
I am going to need at least a couple months, if not much longer. Not at all ready to move on. I need to get better at reading signs of distress, which imo is very difficult, dogs do not like to show weakness. I have a lot of guilt, there were signs that I did not interpret correctly, dogs can't talk.

Not sure if it would have made any difference had I read all the signs correctly, I will never know.

Felt like I jumped back in too soon getting a new dog last time, got a new one within a few weeks last time.

Going to try to find a vet that offers 24/7 on-call service for free over the phone, our current vet used to offer that, but they stopped offering that possibly when covid hit, not sure when they stopped offering that. If they have to meet you at the vet's office after hours, they still only charged you the normal rate, not a more expensive after-hours rate.

Nothing worse than having a late night or weekend emergency or semi-emergency and being forced to pay a lot to go to the vet ER when you sometimes only need a vet to talk you thru a problem over the phone.

Last edited by ud2; 05-22-2021 at 05:37 PM..
Old 05-22-2021, 05:50 PM

After 1 week of not having the Wonderdog to wake up and take the morning walk with, the Queen and I decided we had to start looking for another Royal pet. Not a replacement for Rudy, as that is impossible, but - as they say is sports - ‘next man up’. After a couple days of searching we - the Queen and Princess - found an 8-week old litter of mini Golden Doodles up in Amish country. So we made the trip up last weekend and came home with Bailey, who is the cutest darn puppy I could ever imagine.

After 1 week at home she only gets up once at night, and is pretty much potty trained (as long as you’re paying attention to her sniffing). So, while life isn’t the same at the Palatial Estate, it is getting back to normal.

ud2, I feel for you, brother, and wish you well. FWIW, don’t hesitate looking for your ‘next man up’, even if it is a female.

Posted via Mobile Device
Potty training imo is absolutely critical, the dog has to be trained to do that at a bare minimum imo, took me 6 months with the first dog because I had no idea what I was doing, despite reading a short book before I started the process. Much faster with the 2nd dog, only took me 4-6 weeks to get her pretty much 100% potty trained.

Having a dog that is not potty-trained is extremely stressful imo, it is not a functional situation imo.

Tried to get those 2 dogs to ring a bell hanging from the front door doorknob when they needed to go out, but I could not get them to ever ring the bell.

Last edited by ud2; 05-22-2021 at 05:53 PM..
Old 05-22-2021, 06:00 PM

The dog had been going downhill for around the last 9 months, just more and more sleeping along with several other issues, quality of life had been in clear decline for the last 9 months, very hard to know if it was just her time, they do their best to keep chugging along no matter what.
Old 05-27-2021, 11:00 AM

$50k to clone Rudy, rollo. Pocket change for The King.

https://www.sinogene.org/faq/
Old 05-27-2021, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
$50k to clone Rudy, rollo. Pocket change for The King.

https://www.sinogene.org/faq/
If the million-heirs get ahold of this link, I'm in trouble. They'll want a golden litter.
ud2 (05-27-2021)
Old 06-03-2021, 02:58 PM

If the million-heirs get ahold of this link, I'm in trouble. They'll want a golden litter.
Picked up the previous dog's ashes today.

We have a dog trainer friend that lives in Florida, she is giving us an Aussiedoodle for free, although we will pay her an as yet undetermined amount for her time and trouble. The dog is 75% poodle and 25% Australian Shepherd. The dog is arriving December-ish and will be just shy of 2 years old, born in Feb 2020, when we get it. It will already be potty-trained, which imo is a huge plus. A very curly haired dog. Much bigger than a cockapoo also, already 60 pounds. Male too, never had a male dog.

I wanted another cockapoo, but this deal was too good to pass up.

Last edited by ud2; 06-03-2021 at 03:00 PM..
rollo (06-03-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 02:29 PM

Got my new dog yesterday rollo...male Aussiedoodle...57 pounds...almost 2 years old...very curly hair...potty-trained already...very smart...a much bigger dog than I am used to...moves much faster/covers more ground more quickly than I am used to...he was introduced to us at 3 visits over 4 days and left with us at the 3rd visit...he was nervous/scared/skittish when we got him, no fun being left behind with strangers, he is settling in now...he is very clingy, he always wants to be at your side, which is fine, he should loosen up over time.

Last edited by ud2; 11-26-2021 at 02:43 PM..
Old 11-26-2021, 05:50 PM

Thanked 4,408 Times in 2,707 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Bumper sticker

Perhaps some of you have seen the bumper sticker: "Act like the person your dog thinks you are".
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (11-27-2021), UDEE79 (11-27-2021)
Old 11-27-2021, 01:41 AM

My friend was training my dog to be a service dog, he flunked/failed the training course: too skittish/nervous/scared around strangers/he was taken to a Target store as part of the training, and he went #2 in the middle of the store.

He is very clingy. I am not sure if that is his personality, or if that is a by-product of his training. Not sure if he will ever relax/enjoy himself and act like a regular/normal dog. He might be starting to relax a little. My previous dog did not like strangers, took her a couple months to fully open up to us. My first dog loved strangers. Time will tell.

He had his first time alone in the house tonight, we had to leave for several hours, we do not cage our dogs when we leave, they have the run of the house, he did not go #1 or #2 in the house, and he did not chew/tear up anything in the house, so that was a success.

And he finally ate and drank for the first time for us tonight, he went on a 36 hour hunger and thirst strike after he was left with us permanently.

Last edited by ud2; 11-27-2021 at 01:58 AM..
Old 11-27-2021, 09:30 AM

You got your hands full with that one ud2Öbut that breed is smarter than most, would probably vote conservative, and will be your best friend for another 10-12 years! Buy him a UD sweater and keep him away from your couch after big wins, and the King promises he will behave!

King Rollo the ud2 whispererÖOUT!

And oh yeahÖ GO BUCKS!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-27-2021, 09:42 AM
General

Thanked 7,335 Times in 3,124 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
My friend was training my dog to be a service dog, he flunked/failed the training course: too skittish/nervous/scared around strangers/he was taken to a Target store as part of the training, and he went #2 in the middle of the store.

Your friend should be more observant, the people at the other end of the aisle were wearing X, I mean St. Louis shirts. Dog is a good judge of character.
Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (11-28-2021)
Old 11-28-2021, 02:06 AM

You got your hands full with that one ud2…but that breed is smarter than most, would probably vote conservative, and will be your best friend for another 10-12 years! Buy him a UD sweater and keep him away from your couch after big wins, and the King promises he will behave!

King Rollo the ud2 whisperer…OUT!

And oh yeah… GO BUCKS!
Posted via Mobile Device
He will be ok IMO, he gets along well with other dogs, which is not the case with all dogs. He should calm down some with time, even if he doesn't like strangers, the only thing that really matters if that he gets along with his owners.
Old 11-28-2021, 12:26 PM

DGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond repute
QUOTE=UACFlyer;674630]Perhaps some of you have seen the bumper sticker: "Act like the person your dog thinks you are".[/QUOTE]

If you want an animal that will bring back a stick, fight to its death to protect you, and rouse you from sleep in a burning house and lead you to safety, a dog would be a good choice.

However , if you want a pet that can discriminate the best food for it out of the ten you offer and has reflexes faster than a speeding bullet that will scratch and bite you without warning ,get a cat
Old 11-28-2021, 02:08 PM
Major General

Thanked 5,364 Times in 1,956 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
UD2,
If your dog is afraid of strangers and timid around them, this approach worked with my dog. Ask the person to stand still with hands down at sides and turn their back to the dog. When I did this, my dog would approach them from the back (cautiously), start sniffiing around their feet and legs eventually their hands and would end up in front of them. It took many months of doing this and the kids in my neighborhood would come over so he could "practice". Even after the turnaround was no longer necessary, he was more comfortable if he could be the one to initiate interaction.
My dog too also loved and played with other dogs extremely well. He was a lab/chow mix, but had the personality of neither.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (11-29-2021)
Old 12-01-2021, 04:06 PM

Update on my dog...he is real friendly with strangers now after all, I guess I totally misread him because he was not friendly with me during our 3 day introduction, he is best friends with me now. And he gets along with other dogs real good. And he is starting to relax more.

I was told by our trainer friend that he was potty-trained. IMO, he is only partially potty-trained.

Today, he had his 3rd #2 accident in the house. He has not gone #1 in the house ever.

I gave him a pass the first time because he was in a new home.

I gave him a pass the second time when he had an accident right after we got home after leaving him home alone the first time because that was his first time being home alone.

But, today's accident is not acceptable. He did ring the bell three separate times on the closet door knob by the front door, and I took him out three times, but all he did all three times was go #1. He was trained to ring the bell when he needs to go out.

So, now IMO it is obvious that he is not 100% potty-trained. I have gotten the cage out, and I will have to start from scratch I guess on cage-training/potty-training him.

It is absolutely awful IMO owning a dog that is not 100% potty-trained, and I will not put up with that.

I now have my drill sergeant hat/total hard as* hat on. This will be my third time potty-training a dog, and I had to be a real d*ck the first two times in order to get the job done. I will be all over this dog's as* for the anticipated next 4-6 weeks until he learns to never go to the bathroom in the house: yell at him, rub his nose in the #1, rub his nose close to but not in the #2, and spank him hard enough to get his attention but not hard enough to hurt him.

I feel bad being such a d*ck, but that is the only method I have ever had success with.

With the first dog I bought a short book at Petsmart and read it before I started potty-training her, it was all about using positive reinforcement only/taking them outside after an accident/using cage-training, no negative reinforcement(yelling, spanking, and rubbing their nose in it)at all. I tried that for 6 full months, exactly following the book's instructions, and I made almost zero, I mean almost zero, progress. I was going nuts, I thought I might have to get rid of the dog. It is exhausting cleaning up that many accidents. So, I asked a friend how he got his dogs trained, and he told me to be a total d*ck, so I did that, and I started making progress almost instantly.

I was a d*ck with the second dog from day 1, and she was trained 100% after about a month or a month and a half. Even after a few days of being a d*ck, big progress was already being made. It took the remaining time to get to be 100% reliable.

The dogs were mad at me some during the training after getting corrected, but they didn't hold it against me, and they got over it.

I can already tell that I am now in this dog's head since I started correcting him because he is a little frightened of me now, so I now have his attention, he'll get over it.

So, wish me luck!

Last edited by ud2; 12-01-2021 at 04:25 PM..
rollo (12-01-2021)
Old 12-08-2021, 01:22 PM

My dog had a 4th #2 accident in the house, but that was several days ago, he has not had an accident for several days. I am pretty sure we are home free at this point.

I only had to correct him twice. This was the easiest potty-training job I have had by a mile.

I never even used the cage, just when I was getting ready to start caging him, he started to figure out what I wanted.

I think he was in fact potty-trained, but the new owners, new environment, etc., threw him off. His good behavior now is what I was expecting from the beginning. Glad that he seems to have figured everything out.

I give him lots of praise and treats when he goes to the bathroom outside, that definitely is an important part of the equation.

Last edited by ud2; 12-09-2021 at 12:41 AM..