Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Soccer

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-24-2021, 11:05 PM
Captain

soccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura about
Wide open tournament

Love seeing the improvement lately. I think we should be heavily favored in the tournament because a second chance game against St Louis and VCU shouldn't present the same outcome. It will be challenging but no team wants to face us the way we have been playing collectively better soccer. I also look at the team on paper and believe our roster has the most talent top to bottom.

A first round home game is a nice accomplishment and it's been awhile since the last several years we finished in 5th to 8th and had to go on the road. Dispatch of Richmond a second time in a row, put the pressure on them early and often, and let's go back to work at the semifinals against SLU on a neutral site with a week of rest. and I hope I'm not jinxing us by looking ahead of the play in game.
Mad Props to soccerflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (10-25-2021)
Advertisement
Old 10-25-2021, 02:58 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,159 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Finishing in 2nd this year and ahead of Sloo was a solid ending to the A10 regular season. We got helped by a late loss by the Bills and also VCU losing to URI today despite dominating was a surprise, although Im not sure it really made all that much difference as we would have been #3 playing #2 Sloo in the semis anyway.

We lead the league in scoring and we have perhaps the best pure scorer in Gemelli, but I have concerns about our goal-scoring ability against the top teams in the A10 because we fumble too many Sheldon crosses.

We finished 8-2 but both losses were to SLU and VCU -- the two best other teams. We scored just one goal in both matches. Here were our results against the bracket:

#1 VCU (L 3-1)
#3 SLU (L 1-0)
#4 MAS (DNP)
#5 SBU (W 3-1)
#6 URI (DNP)
#7 RIC (W 3-0)
#8 SJU W 3-2)

So against the other 7 teams we were 3-2 and failed to beat any team that finished higher than #5 in the A10 standings and only one team in the Top six. I don't know what everyone else's pods looked like but Im not sure ours was the toughest. That said, we had to play both SLU and VCU on the road and maybe we at least get a tie of out of one of those if at Baujan.

I think we can handle Richmond, but I just dont like the matchup vs SLU in the A10 semis. They have our number and though based on stats we played them even and maybe also even in the run-of-play department, its been a while since we've won these type of matches to the point where nobody on the team knows how. Sloo doesnt have that problem. We saw this for years with UD under Tucker -- knowing how to make the big play in the A10 tournament by leaning on experience. Sloo finds ways in the last 15 minutes to exert their will on us.

VCU will wax SJU so they will host. I dont see us with any chance of hosting the tourney by virtue of a UD win and VCU loss. The good news is the SLU game would be neutral-field so that might help us a bit.

Just not sure we can score on SLU. They have the best defense in the A10 and we do NOT finish enough Jess Sheldon crosses inside the box to give me a confident feeling. If we were pretty good this year at winning those in-swingers and putting them on frame I could see us knocking one in, but if you want to beat SLU you usually have to beat them 2-1. Getting two goals on the Bills when they give up 0.6 goals a game -- that's asking a ton. Just not sure we're there yet with the way we finish against the top defenses. Bonnie and GW are not Sloo and VCU. And VCU handled us pretty easily in the lone matchup.

We shall see however and hope springs eternal. I agree we're playing better than earlier in the year when we left 2-3 results on the table. I will be at the A10 Quarters pulling for them. After a relatively disappointing non-con, we grinded out some tough Ws late and that's a sign of getting better.

On another note, some All A10 predictions:

First Team: Gemelli (OPOY, better PPG than Torres and on better team)
Second Team: Sheldon, Yaiza, Huber
All Rookie: Blain

I like what Hegg has done all year but with Sloo and VCU defenses, it will be tough to put any UD defenders on All A10 teams. If we could finish Sheldon's crosses, she'd be leading the A10 in assists and a shoo-in 1st Teamer. Yaiza has been a little hot/cold this year but I think her work commands respect from others. Marlee Taylor's issue in getting any recognition is she did 85% of her work in the first weekend of the season.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
SLUFLYER (10-25-2021)
Old 10-25-2021, 12:00 PM
Captain

soccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura aboutsoccerflyer has a spectacular aura about
Just a quick clarification, the VCU loss to SJU, as well as, the SLU loss at Rhode Island yesterday, seem to be some kind of an aberration or they may have been resting some legs for the A10s. Now we have seen numerous times the league leader having a letdown or trap game after clinching. It could be psychological. SJU and Rhody, fighting like hell for the last few berths, simply found another gear that could not be matched by teams that had little or nothing to play for. If either one had lost, they'd have been out and La Salle and George Mason would have been advancing, so it was very critical that both teams at least picked up draws on the last game of the season. I was hoping that VCU could join the rare ranks of perfect A10 teams, and perhaps get the rare second bid but ultimately they threw that away by letting the Hawks hang around.

I do think it is curious that the upcoming quarterfinals are repeats of recently played games as there is no better scouting report as having played an opponent last week. I also hope the neutral site (or home) helps our chances going up against SLU because they're going to have to travel. You can see how SLU plays a whole different brand of soccer at home vs. on the road where they are 2-3-0 in conference, with losses to Rhode Island and Duquesne as well as VCU. They seem to have a slight vulnerability away from Hermann which could give us an edge.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to soccerflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (10-25-2021), jack72 (10-25-2021), SLUFLYER (10-25-2021)
Old 10-26-2021, 11:10 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Adding to Chris's and soccerflyer's comments, as I think this tournament will be pretty wide open.

- Of the 4 quarterfinal matches, 3 are replays of games last week, in which 2 of those 3 were "upsets". One inexplicably at home by VCU to St. Joe's with a perfect A10 season on the line. (More on this game and VCU below)
- SLU lost 1-0 on the road to Rhode Island in the first 3 minutes of OT. A game that SLU thoroughly dominated, as RI only got two shots on frame. I'd be stunned if SLU doesn't take care of business on Saturday at Hermann. I'd anticipate a strong crowd, even with the students on Fall break. I anticipate being there myself.
- VCU losing at home on the final day of the regular season with an undefeated A10 season on the line. Chris suggested VCU dominated. Perhaps they did, I didn't see the game. Some stats might suggest they did, with Shots 24-10 and Corners 17-4. But SJU actually put more shots on frame than VCU at 7-5. I found that interesting.
- VCU in 10 A10 games played 8 1-goal games. And one of the other 2 was a 3-1 W over our Flyers in a game that was statistically even and had the Flyers on their heels early after a PK at the 10:00 mark. Since that Flyer game, they dominated Fordham (who didn't), they played Lasalle pretty even, didn't exactly overwhelm Davidson, and then lost to SJU. And before that stretch, needed OT to clip UMass, as well as 3-2 OT win over a poor GW team.
- VCU certainly remains the favorite and keeps home field if they beat SJU next Sunday. But this isn't SLU of last year. This should be a wide open tournament.
- Dayton at home vs Richmond. Dayton controlled last weekend's game, in a clutch road win that gives them an outside shot at hosting the tournament if VCU stumbles against SJU again. I'd give that maybe a 10-15% chance. But this is soccer. It's weird sport with weird results in seemingly uneven matchups. Should Dayton win and VCU lose, all bets are off and the Flyers immediately have a golden opportunity in front of them.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:56 PM
Captain

Originally Posted by Chris R View Post

VCU will wax SJU so they will host.

With Jerabek missing from the lineup, VCU is not able to find the back of the net. We are mere minutes away from the top seed losing.
Old 10-30-2021, 09:09 PM
Captain

VCU goes down
Old 10-30-2021, 09:43 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,159 Times in 5,119 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
#1 goes down to #8 at home. Crazy! And Sloo escaped by the skin of their teeth today 2-1. Scored in the 86th minute to tie, then got a golden goal. Imagine if both #1 and #3 had been eliminated!

Huge implications however as the top remaining seed out of the Semi teams will host the A10 Tourney. If Dayton beats Richmond tomorrow, UD will host and their chances go up SIGNIFICANTLY to somehow win the auto-bid. Especially with VCU out. Sloo remains a big problem though.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
"Yeah....220, 221, whatever it takes." - Jack Butler (Mr. Mom)
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
soccerflyer (10-30-2021)
Old 11-01-2021, 10:58 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,933 Times in 910 Posts
SLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond reputeSLUFLYER has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
#1 goes down to #8 at home. Crazy! And Sloo escaped by the skin of their teeth today 2-1. Scored in the 86th minute to tie, then got a golden goal. Imagine if both #1 and #3 had been eliminated!

Huge implications however as the top remaining seed out of the Semi teams will host the A10 Tourney. If Dayton beats Richmond tomorrow, UD will host and their chances go up SIGNIFICANTLY to somehow win the auto-bid. Especially with VCU out. Sloo remains a big problem though.
SLU was dead in the water after RI packed the box with a one goal lead late.

SLU looked terrible most of the game. They have few finishers who can find the net, often taking terrible shots off frame. They had numerous corners that were embarrassingly terrible, one that actually triggered RI's breakaway goal.

two minutes before their tying goal, these were some quotes from the parents sitting around me:

"Well, at least we get our weekends back."

"Just not our year."

"Ain't gonna happen kids."

What a tremendous opportunity for Golz and the Flyers. To quote Herb Brooks "Now go out there and TAKE IT!!!"
Mad Props to SLUFLYER For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-01-2021)