Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Senior Lindsay Fletemier
Senior Lindsay Fletemier
UDBrian
Published by UDBrian
11-16-2010
Senior Lindsay Fletemier

DAYTON (OH) -- "It is insane how much she has improved since she got here. She couldn't keep the ball on the court her freshman year". That quote came from an alumni player when asked for the first thing that came to mind concerning Lindsay.

Lindsay will be remembered mostly for her dominance at the net both blocking and hitting. She is currently leading the NCAA in blocks per set and gets a charge out of every single block. It didn't occur by accident as she practiced her blocking with Becky Novacek on the sand court during the summer "and probably looked silly doing it". Along with complete dominance in the past two seasons I will remember her going from someone who hit the ball straight on every play to someone who has every shot in the book. During this time she has gradually become a team leader, it is hard to ignore someone who plays at that level.

Here is what coach Sheffield had to say about Lindsay:

Shy until she gets to know you then you see a heart of gold, caring. "Everyone in the country knows who she is. Every team we play against tries to slow her down. It's been fun watching her embrace the challenge. Her best is yet to come!"

Here are comments from alumni players and current players on what they think of first concerning Lindsay:

Has grown in intensity
Hits with amazing angles
Best set of hair accessories ever seen
Biggest impact plays
Very funny
Dominant
Great girl
Lindsay has SWAG
Likes Hello Kitty
Has a really girlie side and competitive side
Wears same clothes she wore as a freshman
Very superstitious
Great sense of humor
Likes scary movies
Super tough
Not afraid of anything as a freshman

When asked what her UD volleyball experience has meant to her on and off the court Lindsay said:

"My experience at UD is one that I will remember for the rest of my life. It has really been an honor to play for such an amazing program over the last 5 years".

When asked how she has changed since arriving at UD:

I think that I have changed so much since I got to UD. I have grown up a lot since coming to UD in 2006. This place has been my home for what seems like forever. I have made some of best friends and some of the best memories here and I will not forget my time at UD.

I asked Lindsay's parents a couple of questions concerning her time at UD.

Question 1: Can you tell me what going to UD has meant to your daughter and how has she grown in that time?

"You could never imagine the amount of growth we see in Lindsay. Not only in volleyball, but as a person too. Lindsay was the child that thought going to Dayton might be to far from home. We remember
telling her that 200 miles is not that far. We could hop in the car and be there in three hours. Now this child of ours wants to live overseas and play volleyball. Never in a million years would we have dreamed that
Lindsay would want to do this".

Question 2) What would you tell a parent who's daughter is considering playing for UD?

I would tell a parent who's daughter is considering playing for UD that we have never once thought that our daughter was not being looked out for. Everyone here treats the girls like their own. When Lindsay has been sick or hurt she has always been cared for. They go above and beyond in caring for the girls and as parents we appreciate that so much. It makes it easier for your child to be away from home knowing that she is
being looked out for. This University is a special place. It is like a family away from home and we are sure your daughter will love it here!

You don't run across many 6'6" middle blockers who are also tremendous athletes. Lindsay's contributions will be tough to replace but there is certainly a current or future Flyer planning on doing just that.

Lindsay plans on continuing to play volleyball overseas for a team committed to winning championships. "It is all about the championships" said Lindsay.

Lindsay repeated as A10 player of the year in 2010.
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools