UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 03:59 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,353 Times in 2,461 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
2017 Schedule

I'm expecting an announcement any day now.

tOSU has announced theirs and the following teams will be playing at the Dayton Tournament on Sept 15-16, the last OOC weekend before conference play begins.

tOSU
Santa Clara
Western KY

This is a great OOC line up so far. I expect our first weekend or two to be less competitive so teams can build some confidence and get settled in to their rotations.

SLU also will be playing in Provo, UT against BYU and UTRGV. BYU will help their rpi and the A-10.

More to come.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (04-18-2017), Lifelong Flyer Fan (04-18-2017), rollo (04-18-2017), UDBrian (04-21-2017), udisit19 (04-20-2017)
Advertisement
Old 04-20-2017, 08:11 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
Nice job finding this Becky!

This is obviously a great start to 2017 non-con schedule. Any time you can get a home match against a Big Ten team it is good and Western Kentucky is always a good team too. Santa Clara may not be an elite, Top 50 program, but even that match should be challenging. The Flyers will have chances, in Fredrick, for some quality wins.

Thanks again Becky!
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (04-22-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 12:05 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
La Salle at Dayton, Sun Oct 1 2017 1PM
Dayton at Fordham, Fri Oct 6, 2017 7PM
Fordham at Dayton Sun Nov 5 2017 1PM

(Knowing this, we should be playing at URI on 10/7 or 10/8, and hosting URI on Fri 11/3. Also maybe only 1 game with Duquesne on Fri 9/29 at Frericks.)

And if LaSalle/Duquesne are single games, we must be doing home-and-home with GDub and Mason instead this year.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:06 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
First 2017 A-10 Team Schedule

La Salle looks like they are the first to post their schedule.
http://www.goexplorers.com/schedule.aspx?path=wvball

I definitely have a lot of thoughts, but not much time at the moment. I'll say that overall I like it. There may not be any big name schools, like St. John's, Villanova, or Temple, but I think removing the Philadelphia "Big 5" challenge this year has given them more flexibility to craft a custom schedule that more closely fits where they are as a program. I also really like how they do not have a game against Delaware St. La Salle has demonstrated over the last three years they are capable of winning that match no matter where it is, so I'm glad they moved on and hopefully they will create new rivalries.

The schedule provides opportunities for some wins, but the home tournament will be tough for them and the last tournament should be very difficult with no teams against the normal conferences they have success against.

Any other thoughts from the first A-10 schedule?

Last edited by udisit19; 05-13-2017 at 11:41 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-10-2017), Figgie123 (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 12:08 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
I'm expecting an announcement any day now.

tOSU has announced theirs and the following teams will be playing at the Dayton Tournament on Sept 15-16, the last OOC weekend before conference play begins.

tOSU
Santa Clara
Western KY

This is a great OOC line up so far. I expect our first weekend or two to be less competitive so teams can build some confidence and get settled in to their rotations.
This has apparently changed. Some State School from Columbus Ohio is now hosting an event that weekend, 'Buckeye Invitational', with Dayton, Northern Illinois and Western Kentucky.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-10-2017), udisit19 (05-10-2017)
Old 05-10-2017, 01:21 PM
Colonel

Wow! That's a surprise. I guess the schedule wasn't final. I sure hope Dayton still has a chance to host a home tournament.

The loss of Santa Clara and the late addition of Northern Illinois is also strange. Northern Illinois is a good program to pick up on your schedule at the last hour. Every game should be difficult. I think it will now include the 2016 Champs of CUSA, MAC, and A-10. This is a big time midwest tournament. I'm excited about every team. I have wanted to see Northern Illinois on Dayton's schedule for a while, although it would have been better in Dayton. We might need to get the inside scoop on this change.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:00 PM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
I see SLU also plays tOSU out in Provo. BYU and tOSU in one weekend. Those are strong teams that will help the A10 programs. SLU had a tough schedule last year and appear to be putting another strong one together.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by udisit19 View Post
Wow! That's a surprise. I guess the schedule wasn't final. I sure hope Dayton still has a chance to host a home tournament.

The loss of Santa Clara and the late addition of Northern Illinois is also strange. Northern Illinois is a good program to pick up on your schedule at the last hour. Every game should be difficult. I think it will now include the 2016 Champs of CUSA, MAC, and A-10. This is a big time midwest tournament. I'm excited about every team. I have wanted to see Northern Illinois on Dayton's schedule for a while, although it would have been better in Dayton. We might need to get the inside scoop on this change.
A couple years ago there was a schedule change after UD released its schedule. And I think it also has tOSU in the mix. It was one of those weekend that some teams played at both UD and either Wright State or tOSU and they re-arranged the schedules. If you get a chance to upgrade your schedule, I guess you do it even at a late date. Santa Clara could still be in the mix, just on a different weekend. There must be a lot of shifting this spring because there are not very many teams that have released their schedules and usually they announce before school is out.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:51 AM
Colonel

So I have some more thoughts on the La Salle schedule. I have been paying attention to them recently and trying to be familiar enough to be able to conclude if they are still improving. You are probably gonna read the phrase "since 2006" a lot in the next few paragraphs. La Salle's online records go back until then. I can't go back any further. To be honest, we probably don't need to go back further than 08' since that's when the NCAA switched to 25 pt matches, but for now let's use the larger sample size.

First lets look real quick at some of the teams that are not on La Salle's 2017 schedule. La Salle has dropped local rivals Delaware State, Fairleigh Dickinson, Villanova, and Temple. The last time La Salle has not played Temple was 1983 and this is only the 3rd time since 06' that La Salle has not played Villanova or FDU. I'm not surprised by the move to drop Temple and Villanova because the gap between La Salle and these other Philly schools seems way too big for the matches to be beneficial to any of these programs. They were able to keep Penn on the schedule, so it will be nice that they still have a nearby rival. I was surprised that FDU was not on the schedule. Games between La Salle and FDU have been very competitive. Only one match between these teams was a 3 set sweep (in La Salle's favor) and two of the last four matches had a total point differential less than 10.

Zooming out a bit, when you compare La Salle's 2016 schedule to their upcoming schedule, the Explorers have traded matches against the MEAC (Del. St. & Morgan St.), the NEC (SFU Pa & FDU), and the MAAC (Quinnipiac x2 & Niagara) for matches against the Patriot League, the Ivy League, and the midwest. Some teams from these conference still made the schedule, but in general this seems like the big change. La Salle has traded comfortable matches for uncomfortable match ups. While the new schedule still looks like a collection of RPI bottom dwellers (New Orleans 324, Lafayette 323, Bucknell 319, Iona 318, Loyola Md. 303, Akron 290, and Tenn. Tech 289) it is a significant trade off for La Salle. Since 2006 La Salle has had significant success against the MEAC (12-11 0.529), the NEC (15-8 0.652), and the MAAC (18-13 0.580). Instead, La Salle has had little success against the Patriot League with only 7 wins in 26 tries for a success rate of 26.9 %. Since 2006 La Salle has also failed to get any wins against the Ivy League (0-9) and has also failed to get wins against the midwest (0-9 against the MAC, Horizon, and OVC).

For now let's just look at the Patriot league due to the quantity. In total La Salle will go against the Patriot League 5 times with matches against Bucknell, Lafayette, Loyola Md., Navy, and Colgate. La Salle's most success when facing off against the Patriot League has been against nearby rival Lafayette. La Salle has gone 4-5 against Lafayette since '06 and has won the last two matches. But that should be La Salle's easiest match in the non-con. La Salle's first match in the Patriot League will see them try to earn their first win against Bucknell since 2006. La Salle has lost all 6 times despite Bucknell only having an average RPI over the last eleven years of 253.64. The most difficult Patriot league match should be the road tilt against Colgate. La Salle hasn't played Colgate since 2006, and for good reason. Colgate has been the 3rd most successful program in the Patriot behind American and Army. La Salle has plenty of seasons with at least two games against the Patriot League. La Salle has never, since 2006, won at least two matches against the Patriot. Given how many times the two will meet, La Salle will need to do just that to make their 2017 non-con a success.

To me, it sure looks like head coach Caitlin Schweihofer is trying to test her big Sophmore class and to see where they are. And I like the strategy. Some of the matches look winnable, but almost every match will provide some type of challenge. The schedule provides multiple opportunities for this long struggling team to get monkeys off their back, and that might be just what they need.

Last edited by udisit19; 05-16-2017 at 09:58 AM.. Reason: added info about colgate
BeckysTXA (05-17-2017), Figgie123 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 12:56 PM
Colonel

Enough about La Salle, Dayton just showed up on the schedule of High Point. http://highpointpanthers.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=386

Dayton will be at the Northern Illinois Tournament in the opening weekend and play Northern Illinois, High Point, and Cal Poly. Without going into to too much detail, it sure looks like it will be stronger than our first tournament last year (Toledo, Wright State, SIUE)

High Point also plays VCU on 9/5/2017 for a midweek match.

Last edited by udisit19; 05-16-2017 at 01:13 PM..
BeckysTXA (05-17-2017), Figgie123 (05-16-2017)
Old 05-16-2017, 09:54 PM
I Am A Statistical God

So, with High Point's schedule out, we are currently slated to play Northern Illinois twice this year. Once at Columbus Ohio, and once at Northern Illinois.

I wonder if one of those tournaments is going to change.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-17-2017)
Old 05-17-2017, 07:28 AM

Not that High Point is hosting this tournament, but you have to wonder if when Horsmon came back if he set up a match with High Point because I believe at the time former Horsmon assistant Jason Oliver was HC at High Point? He has moved on to Indiana as an assistant in the Big 10. A good move for him even going from a HC back to an assistant. I wondered if we would have Indiana on our schedule in the future. I also think UD could have suggested to Northern ILL to add High Point to help complete our contract. Something like, "we will commit to your invitation to play in your tournament if you can help us with our High Point contract." I don't know if that happens, but it kind of sounds like a possibility.

And for the record here, this is all 100% speculation on my part. It's off-seasonitis. I have nothing concrete to talk about, so the mind wanders to speculation.

I'll also add, High Point put together a tough OOC schedule for that program. Oliver took them to their first NCAA tournament, so there isn't a lot of historical success their, but if they could win a couple OOC matches with the right teams (i.e. Not UD), this match could pay dividends for UDs RPI.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 05-17-2017 at 07:33 AM..
Old 05-17-2017, 07:49 AM

Udisit19- I agree with everything you've noted. LaSalle is on the move in the right direction. Good young female coach. And I'll throw out a side note here, their coach was suppose to play at UD as a grad transfer for one year after finishing her degree in 3 years at St Johns if I remeber correctly. It was announced she was coming, but then it didn't happen. My GUESS after looking at her bio was she got a high school coaching job and decided to go for it, which appears to have paid off.

I also have heard LaSalle has upped their scholarships for volleyball. I think this happened about the time they hired Catilyn. I can't confirm this, and I do not know the numbers, but I've heard it from a couple side sources. I.e. Some club coaches, and they usually know. I do know LaSalle is bringing in better players and more of them, and I would think you need scholarship money to do that. This is all good for the A-10 and UD.

I know a little about Bucknells program. Another no-scholarship program. I expect LaSalle to beat Bucknell and most of their OOC matches, which should help them get better scheduling again next year. Their sophomore class is good and they have solid recruits coming the next two years. I expect a mid-conference finish for them this year and they could pull a couple upsets. I expect them to make the A10 tourney.

SLUs schedule looks good again this year, so let's hope others in the conference are putting together tough schedules too. The two weekend we know about for UD look to be huge upgrades from last year.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:43 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Dayton at Xavier Tuesday October 10, 2017.
BeckysTXA (05-19-2017), jack72 (05-18-2017)
Old 05-22-2017, 10:34 PM
I Am A Statistical God

VCU posted their schedule. They are hosting the Flyers on Sun 10/29.

With VCU, LaSalle and Fordham announcing their schedules, I put a spreadsheet together to determine the rest of the conference schedule for the Flyers.

First weekend 9/22,23,24 they will play Saint Louis. (not sure home/away since its a travel partner game.)
9/29 and 10/1 - hosting Duquesne then La Salle.
10/6 and 10/7,8 - at Fordham and Rhode Island.
10/13,14,15 - they play Saint Louis to finish the home-and-home travel partner series.
10/20,21,22 - they will play Mason and GDub (assuming home games since previous and following weekends GW/GM host)
10/27 and 10/29 - they play at Davidson and VCU.
11/3 and 11/5 - they host Rhode Island and Fordham
11/10,11,12 - they play Mason and GDub (assuming away, based on previous determination)

That should be the conference schedule. And the A10 Tournament is at Duquesne's Palumbo Center.
BeckysTXA (05-23-2017), udisit19 (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 04:54 PM
Colonel

Rhode Island has posted a partial schedule. It is mostly non-con

http://gorhody.com/sports/w-volley/2017-18/schedule
BeckysTXA (05-23-2017)
Old 05-23-2017, 06:19 PM

The first weekend at Norte Dame is promising. NDhired a great coach. This will be his 3 rd year and he should see a major improvement. Being the first weekend, RI might surprise someone and pull an upset. Otherwise their schedule is as expected, very winnable OOC matches. Based on past years, it should be about the same. If they pull an upset at ND, then its better than past years.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:25 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Rhode Island has posted a partial schedule. It is mostly non-con

http://gorhody.com/sports/w-volley/2017-18/schedule
Now it includes conference.

Sat 10/7 - Dayton at Rhode Island
Fri 11/3 - Rhode Island at Dayton
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (05-25-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 10:56 AM
Colonel

It looks like the full Dayton schedule could be here soon. The 2017 Schedule website has removed the spring schedule. They must be making changes and getting ready for the schedule to go live.

P.S. - Dayton will have a single weekday match against Ohio in Frericks on 8/29/17. Looks like it will be very similar to last years match against Miami OH. http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/w-...ley-sched.html
BeckysTXA (06-02-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 12:26 PM
Colonel

Yep. Dayton is now showing a partial schedule for 2017. Can't be long before we see the whole thing.

Dayton is hosting a tournament on Sept. 1-2.

Dayton @ Illinois State tournament Sept. 8-9

Just an observation, but there is A LOT of red on the schedule.

Last edited by udisit19; 05-31-2017 at 12:30 PM..
Old 06-02-2017, 09:30 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Western Kentucky released their schedule, and they are playing Dayton on the 15th at 10am EST. Then Ohio State in the evening, and NIU on Sunday.

Should mean Dayton plays Ohio State on Sunday, and NIU as their 2nd game on Saturday.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:24 AM

It looks like the full Dayton schedule could be here soon. The 2017 Schedule website has removed the spring schedule. They must be making changes and getting ready for the schedule to go live.

P.S. - Dayton will have a single weekday match against Ohio in Frericks on 8/29/17. Looks like it will be very similar to last years match against Miami OH. http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/w-...ley-sched.html
I think it's safe to say our schedule is still a work in progress. Ohio is reporting we play them at UD on 8/29. Then we host a tournament Sept 1-2 per our website. Our website also shows we have Miami and IUPUI on Tuesday nights in the pre-conference timeframe. That would be an interesting schedule in the fact that we would go with 4 weekends of playing three matches in pre-conference tournaments. That is " normal". But adding in single night matches in that time period is unusual. If the reported 3 matches "stick", that would be 15 matches in the first 4 weeks.

I'm not 100% sure how I feel about that, but I kind of like it. We will have a team with a very solid core of veteran players and a truckload of talented freshmen and sophomores. It will certainly give everyone opportunity to show what they've got to contribute to this team. The down side is the unknown of playing 4 matches over 3 days per week. Fatigue/injuries will be a concern as well as time away from classrooms which is always challenging for freshmen. It is good the away matches are close. I've never seen a schedule this heavily frontloaded with matches, so I guess we will find out if down side concerns materialize. But my first impression is I kind of like it for this team This year.

And I will add this dialog might be just taking up space because I'm not sure what's up on the website is set in stone yet, so I expect it to change. For example, Ohio is reporting the match on 8/29 and we are not.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
Western Kentucky released their schedule, and they are playing Dayton on the 15th at 10am EST. Then Ohio State in the evening, and NIU on Sunday.

Should mean Dayton plays Ohio State on Sunday, and NIU as their 2nd game on Saturday.
I think this is a Fri-Sat tournament. Usually host teams stack the schedule to their benefit by playing the toughest team in the second match on the day they play 2 matches. So they make the toughest opponent play the second toughest team while the host team plays the weakest team. Thus their toughest opponent has to prepare for the two toughest matches on the same day. It doesn't always work out that way, but that's the norm. For example, Dayton likes to schedule their biggest match on Friday night because they get the biggest student crowds that match. Another "norm" is one match on Friday and two on Sat, but this looks like 2 on Fri and 1 on Sat.
Old 06-03-2017, 07:56 AM

Now that I've said I've never seen a team front load their schedule with 3 single mid-week matches in between 4 weekend tournaments...I see Western KY has done that this year. And they did it the year before, but not in the 3 previous years. I didn't look back any farther.

It's an interesting concept and if we end up with three single matches in the first four weeks (15 matches pre-conference) it will be interesting to see it play out.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:15 AM

They have the conference schedule now up plus they have filled out tOSU tournament matches. The other 3 pre-conference tournaments are not filled out yet. We do play Northern ILL twice as it currently reads. They had an rpi of around 50 last year. X finished about 60. I'm ok with the 2x if they hold their rpi in the 45-55 range this year. In the past we needed those types of teams on our non-conference schedule and it never seemed to work out. I'm hoping we still have another tough match somewhere in the mix - a top 30-40 team or better.
Old 06-08-2017, 03:03 PM
Colonel

More info was just posted! And if true, Dayton has some more good games lined up.

The schedule currently shows that Dayton will play Seton Hall and Cincinnati at Illinois State.

And Dayton's home tournament currently includes Iowa State and Pittsburgh.

Combine that with matches against Ohio State, Western Kentucky, Northern Illinois (x2), Miami OH, Xavier, Cal Poly, Ohio, and High Point and this schedule will be much tougher than last year. The non-con includes chance after to chance to pick up good wins.
BeckysTXA (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 03:07 PM
Colonel

I think we were all hoping to see some teams from the big conferences and this does not disappoint. Ohio State, Pittsburgh, and Iowa State are all big time volleyball programs and getting two of them to play in Dayton is very nice scheduling. I think the Cincy and Western Kentucky games can be put on the same level as well.

We will have to wait for an official announcement, but the 2017 season looks exciting.
BeckysTXA (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 04:05 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Of special note is the Ohio State match being played at Capital U's gym on 9/16 at 3:00PM - after the matches the day before are played at St John. Bucks plays football against Army at home that day at 4:30 so St John will be unavailable - plus all football traffic - as they always have a band concert in St John before home football games.

From Figgie's RPI -

Poly (52), NIU (51) twice, High Point (103), Ohio U (134) surely they will be better this year, ISU(37), Pitt(36), Mami(42), UC (40), ILS(130), SHU(141), IUPUI(189), WKU(16), OSU(29), Xav(60)

Now this is a major league schedule. Will not see 30-2 record this year, but still expect we will be a stronger team. Second weekend of NCAA tournament would be my goal. Top 16 seed may be a stretch, but sure way to avoid another PSU trip.

Last edited by ud69; 06-08-2017 at 04:32 PM..
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (06-08-2017)
Old 06-08-2017, 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Of special note is the Ohio State match being played at Capital U's gym on 9/16 at 3:00PM - after the matches the day before are played at St John. Bucks plays football against Army at home that day at 4:30 so St John will be unavailable - plus all football traffic - as they always have a band concert in St John before home football games.

From Figgie's RPI -

Poly (52), NIU (51) twice, High Point (103), Ohio U (134) surely they will be better this year, ISU(37), Pitt(36), Mami(42), UC (40), ILS(130), SHU(141), IUPUI(189), WKU(16), OSU(29), Xav(60)

Now this is a major league schedule. Will not see 30-2 record this year, but still expect we will be a stronger team. Second weekend of NCAA tournament would be my goal. Top 16 seed may be a stretch, but sure way to avoid another PSU trip.
I agree 100%. Getting teams with rips in the 30-40-50s plus 2 in the top 30 is very good scheduling. And as mentioned above, many f these teams should be even better this year. Ohio, Iowa State and X should be on that list.
Old 06-08-2017, 06:18 PM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
My daughter plays HS VB and loves OSU and UD...so thanks to this thread we've cleared the afternoon of 9/16 for their match-up. She has a noon game at home that day, but it should be over in time for us to make the drive to Capital U.
Old 06-09-2017, 07:55 AM

There is one thing I don't like about this schedule for this team. I hate that Senior Day will be so early on Nov 5th. If we stay healthy, this will be a very good team and they will have a lot of volleyball left after that.

I like all the front-loaded non-conference matches to challenge each player to stake out their place in the rotation. Players will have plenty of opportunity to show they belong on the court before conference play.

I noticed our tournament has only 2 other teams versus the usual 3. With Pittsburgh and Iowa State that will be a very tough weekend. We again have a west coast team and a Big Ten team in the mix, which is always good.

Overall I would say this is the best schedule TH has put together. I didn't follow UD vball in the early TH years, but I doubt there has been a tougher schedule. The BEST things about this schedule are the following: 1. It will challenge this talented team often and early. It will be tough to win 30 matches this year, but not impossible if the team gets after it. 2. you always have to win the matches you're suppose to win, but even if we lose the toughest matches, our rpi should be good. If the team can win a couple tough matches, we have a shot at hosting the first weekend of the NCAAs. With the change in hosting rules, this should be how we approach every schedule going forward. 3. This schedule sets up the program and team for the next two years. The young members of the team will be battle-tested. I'm talking about "getting to the second weekend" tested. The program should be able to continue to build tougher schedules going forward. Iowa State looks to be the backend of a contract, but Northern ILL, ILL State, Ohio St and Pittsburgh looks to be the front end, so they should all show up again sometime in the next two years. From last year I hope we have matches to complete contracts with Northwestern and Loyola Marymount still in the mix. If we can add a Top 10 team next year we will be in great shape the next two years. The next three seasons will be some of the best teams ever at UD. This year's schedule sets up the potential for some great volleyball at UD. 4. This tough schedule attracts great recruits.

Congrats to the coaching staff and athletics for getting this done!
Old 06-09-2017, 08:01 AM

Thanked 17,093 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
I like. Iowa State is always the real deal and we know what Pitt did to us last year in the NCAAs -- made quick work of us after we threw that first set away.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Old 06-10-2017, 08:21 AM

UD has posted the schedule but has not posted a press release about it. That tells me it's not 100% done. It could be the pre-conference tournament opponents aren't all locked it and that is why they just list who we are expected to play versus an actual date and time for each. We also might be trying to lock down a third team for our tournament.

I'm glad they posted what they have, but there might be a change or addition still to come.
Old 06-15-2017, 10:13 AM
Colonel

Both Pitt and Iowa State have posted their schedules and the Dayton tournament shows up on both of them. There may only be 3 teams since it is official on all three schedules.

http://www.pittsburghpanthers.com/sp...ley-sched.html
http://www.cyclones.com/schedule.aspx?path=wvball

I still have not seen schedules for George Mason, GW, Duquesne, or Davidson.
rollo (06-15-2017)
Old 06-19-2017, 12:20 PM
Colonel

One more schedule is official. George Mason has announced their 2017 schedule.
http://gomason.com/schedule.aspx?path=wvball

Nothing extremely noteworthy. They do host 2 tournaments, so that a positive. The two road tournaments look difficult other than the matches against Presbyterian and Lafayette, but could provide the experiences this team needs.

To me the most interesting matches look like UNC Asheville in the first weekend, and Charlotte in the last non-conference weekend.
Old 06-23-2017, 08:55 AM
Colonel

Another A-10 schedule is official. Davidson has posted their 2017 schedule.

http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/sche...px?path=wvball

At first glance, it looks like a good schedule for them. There are two games that look like easy wins (Savannah State and South Carolina State). For Davidson, you might put Loyola, Md. into their easy win category as well. The matches against Appalachian State, Morehead State, Charlotte, and Georgia State look challenging but winnable. And then the matches against Wofford (x2), Georgia, and William & Mary will be good games to see if Davidson is ready for the next level.

Davidson graduates a good setter and a very good MH. I have concern that they may not be as good as last year after the graduation of Emily Franklin.
Old 06-23-2017, 11:41 AM
Colonel

And SLU's schedule is official now too.

http://www.slubillikens.com/SportSel...1&SPSID=640257

You might need to look at Dayton's schedule again, to convince yourself this is SLU's schedule. The two are similar. The Flyers and Bilikens will play 4 of the same teams in the non-conference. Ohio State, Illinois State, Western Kentucky, and Pitt. We will have lots of ways to compare the Flyers and Billikens before the two rivals face each other on 9/22/17. I think SLU has the toughest single match, @ BYU, but overall Dayton's schedule is stronger. SLU's last weekend looks easy with matches against DePaul, Arkansas LR, and Louisiana Tech. It almost feels like they cleared their schedule to focus on their home games against Dayton.
Old 06-28-2017, 01:01 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton's schedule is released.
http://www.daytonflyers.com/index.aspx?path=wvball
http://www.daytonflyers.com/schedule.aspx?path=wvball
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (06-30-2017), udisit19 (07-03-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 10:26 AM
Colonel

GW has finally posted their schedule. It looks rather daunting for this team. The first two weekends look tough for GW, with matches against Tennessee, Western Michigan, Indiana, LIU Brooklyn, and Hofstra. The next two weekend looks more favorable, but it still includes a long trip to North Dakota. This teams need to improve defensively. Let's hope they can learn a lot in the first couple of weekends and be ready to get some non-con wins in the last couple of weekends.

http://www.gwsports.com/sports/w-vol...071917aac.html

I think that was the last schedule. Every teams has posted schedules. What do you think? I think Dayton definitely has the toughest schedule. Saint Louis has 3 tough weekends, but their last weekend looks kinda easy. After that, VCU and Duquesne both have an argument for the 3rd toughest. VCU with matches against T A&M, Norte Dame and Northwestern. Duquesne has Oregon, Wichita State, and Xavier. Based on schedules, those should be the 4 top teams.
Posted via Mobile Device