Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 09-25-2018, 11:10 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
2018 A-10 Week 6

Dayton hosts Davidson and tries to end their 2 match losing streak against VCU.

VCU is not having the perfect follow up to 2017. VCU missed out on upsets against NC State and Wichita St., got swept by VA Tech, lost to Seton Hall, and had their home tournament canceled by Hurricane Fllorance. VCU has only two top 100 wins. While VCU returned most of last years team, it looks like two departures caused some problems. The graduations of L Rebekah Strange and OH Alicia Kandler caused a big change to VCU’s back row. While the front stayed largely the same, VCU lost their top two players based on digs. Strange was the 2017 A-10 Libero of the year, and rightfully so. Strange had 5.00 digs per set. Alicia K. had 2.20 digs per set. Combinded, VCU lost over half of their back row D. The 2018 VCU Rams are being out dug 14.82 to 12.47. This is a big disparity for this category. Last year we thought VCU’s strength was its block, but it was really the consistency of its first pass. Don’t get me wrong, VCU still has a strong block and some firepower, but there is a serious weakness for Dayton to exploit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-26-2018)
Advertisement
Old 09-26-2018, 08:26 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks udisit. Great info on VCU. I’m still worried about their block. Last weekend we played two weak blocking teams and they stuffed our hitters with great blocks. Davidson’s block isn’t great so we will see how it goes Friday. I worry our offense is getting predictable without back row attackers. We have Bruns for her half rotation serving. I’ve never seen Kendyll swing from the back row so it doesn’t appear we use her as an attacker when she serves. Jordan has come in to serve the last two matches for a set or two. She might be an option. And Mikaylah suited up this past weekend but did not play. She is also an option when she is healthy. The VCU match would be a good time to add something they’ve never seen. Overall the team needs to play better this weekend. Both of these teams will probably finish with rpis in the Top 100.
Old 09-26-2018, 09:56 PM
Colonel

udisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to beholdudisit19 is a splendid one to behold
I agree. VCU still brings a strong block and experienced attackers. The Rams have 3 front row players with more than 1 block per set. (Sneed 1.55 / Adler 1.02 / Baldwin 1.00). Tori Baldwin’s blocking numbers are down from 1.53 to 1.00 blocks per set. Gina Tuzzola’s numbers are down from 1.03 to 0.77 and so are Vicky Giammorini’s from 0.61 to 0.45. Julia Adler went against the trend. She improved from 0.85 to 1.02 balks per set. Overall, VCU finished 2017 with 3.29 blocks per set but are at 2.71 blocks per set this year. After checking our recent opponents, VCU brings a stronger block than both Ohio State and Tennessee.

If Dayton plays like they did against GM and GW they will be in big trouble. I think, and I hope, that was a Dayton team too excited about their wins over Tenn. and OSU, and too excited for the upcoming VCU match. These players are humans not machines. Dayton should have a big crowd, and the Flyers should be ready to go. The Flyers need to remain confident after being blocked.

I too hope we have more options. Gotta get the ball to K. Brown. Gotta set the slide to Pla.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to udisit19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-27-2018)
Old 09-26-2018, 11:37 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Overlook VCU at our own peril. We've earned the right thus far to be the team to beat in the A10, but as we have seen there are no gimmes on our schedule given our youth and injuries and inconsistency. We can drop sets to just about anyone and get behind in matches. We can also play at a level that most of these teams may not be able to.

But we're not good enough to just show up and roll the ball out on the court and win in straight sets. The Kray, Cowdrey, Fletemier, Novacek teams could just roll people because we had the best player at every position on the court -- maybe in the entire league. We're not quite there yet. We have to show up and do work. And if we do work, we'll be fine. But if we muck around for a set and a half, we can be knocked off easier than I think even some of our opponents think.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (09-27-2018)
Old 09-30-2018, 03:51 PM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,357 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
SLU upsets Davidson 3-1. I never saw that one coming.