UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Volleyball > Archived Seasonal Match Threads > 2018 Match Threads

2018 Match Threads Discussion specific to game day and in-game opponents on the schedule.

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 10-15-2018, 09:32 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,462 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Cincinnati Match

HUGE match at 7 pm on Wednesday night at Frericks. Our rpi sits around 26. Cincy around 36. We NEED this win. A win gives us a 3-4 record in the top 50 which is one of the catagories the NCAA looks at for at large bids. Right now we are playing from behind in the A10 after they beat us a couple weeks ago. We have to protect our at-large resume.

If you haven’t seen a volleyball match this year - run don’t walk to this one. The Flyers need a HUGE crowd. But you will also be treated to a great match. Both UD and Cincy are in the top 25 for team hitting percentage in the country. Dayton might be in the top 10 after the NCAA updates last week’s matches. You will be treated to two teams with highly potent offenses pounding the ball at each other. The battles at the net to stop hitters will be intense and players diving and throwing their bodies to keep balls off the floor in the backrow should be epic.

Dont miss this match.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
cj (10-16-2018), Figgie123 (10-15-2018), jack72 (10-15-2018), rollo (10-15-2018)
Advertisement
Old 10-15-2018, 11:18 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
I am crushed that this match aligns with the start of girl high school volleyball sectional, district, or whatever it is called... ie, first round of post season tournament play.

Cannot reinforce how awesome a game this should be. Wish I could be there. Somebody (anybody) please cheer extra lowd for me. Thx
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to keats '91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (10-15-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-15-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 09:36 AM

BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Here is the big challenge for UD against Cincy...slow down Jordan Thompson. Sure we have to serve aggressovely to get them out of system. Sure we have to handle their serves and pass well to be in system and have all our hitters as options. But slowing down Thompson is goal #1.

Thompson is a 6’4” Rightside OH that is leading the nation in kills per set. A couple years ago SLU had an OH who led the country in this stat. She played left OH. She was about 5’11”. She took about a third of SLUs swings and she hit mid 200s.

Thompson takes about 50% of Cincy’s swings. I’ve never seen a player close to that. Thompson plays right side, and we haven’t been great at stopping Rightside hitters. It’s because when they go cross court, they are hitting at our two setters, not Margo or Maura, our two best backrow players. Thompson at 6’4” could be hitting over 6’1” Lauren, Allie and Kendyll. I believe the home team gets to hand in their rotation last. We might want to look at adjusting our order so we par up Olivia’s rotations and the one rotation when Brook can play left OH to even out the height advantage. We also might look at our setters playing middle back vs right back. Finally, Thompson is hitting .335, not mid-200s. Any outside hitter hitting in the 300s has been a first or second team AA. It’s just rare air. You’re not going to stop Thompson. She swings into the weakest part of our defense. But we will need to slow her down.

We have an OH Hitting .340 - Lauren. This is even more impressive because she hits from the left side. Lauren hits cross court into the opponents best backrow defenders. Lauren swings with no backrow hitter because until this last weekend no other OH played backrow. Allie now plays a half rotation in the backrow. That means all our out-of-system junk sets go to our left OHs and everyone knows where those sets are going before they arrive, and yet Lauren finds a way to score anyway. Lauren also hits against a lot of taller players because most teams have a 6’2”+ Rightside blockers. Lauren is just playing at such a high level. If you haven’t seen her yet this year, don’t let the season slip away. I think Allie is going to be just as good before she is done, maybe better. But sitting here today Lauren is the best OH attacker UD has ever had. Don’t miss seeing her play!

This is going to be a shootout featuring two All-American outside hitters.

Last edited by BeckysTXA; 10-16-2018 at 09:43 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-16-2018), rollo (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 12:01 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Thompson had 44 kills against Wichita State in a 5 set win Saturday - and the Shockers are not chopped liver with an RPI of 30, which is better than Cincinnati.

This match has me worried.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by ud69 View Post
Thompson had 44 kills against Wichita State in a 5 set win Saturday - and the Shockers are not chopped liver with an RPI of 30, which is better than Cincinnati.

This match has me worried.
She had 44 kills. Cincy as a team had 80. More than 50%. Just unreal. SLOW. HER. DOWN.

Gotta find a way to do that. I should also point out Cincy isn’t a good blocking team. I think from when I looked at it over the weekend...1.90 b/s. We are an ok blocking team at 2.25. Pretty average, but better than Cincy. I would guess we will cheat over to her side any time we don’t know where the setter is going. You’ll be right 50% of the time. But more importantly, make their senior setter go away from Thompson so the hitters are hitting into Margo and Maura whenever possible. Like you said, the Shockers are a good program. They are 9-9 this year with an rpi of 30 - so they have played some very good teams, just like UD, holding up their rpi. (Like #1 Stanford and #2 BYU.) WSU jumped out to a 2 set lead and lost in 5 to Cincy. That tells me Cincy will not stop fighting. We have to have the same mindset. I think we saw that against tOSU. Having a big crowd helped win that match. It’s important we have a great home crowd again Wed night. It will be a dogfight.
Mad Props to BeckysTXA For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (10-16-2018)
Old 10-16-2018, 01:34 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Unfortunately, it's a mid-week match, so I doubt we can come close to the tOSU crowd. We won't have the school kids showing up in droves, but maybe we can get UC fans to show up at a good clip. I plan on taking a panoramic picture from the band area. I need to remember my earplugs.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (10-16-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 09:24 AM

It’s match day. Gonna kick some Bearcat rump. Go Flyers!
Old 10-17-2018, 10:29 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
UD loses 3-2. Cincy went up 2-0, and the Flyers fought back for sets 3 and 4, before losing the fifth set.

As for Thompson, she's pretty darn good. 30 kills on 74 attempts. The team had had 157, so thats 47% of attempts. She plays all 6 rotations, so she gets enough in the back to help. And with her being 6'4", and her jumping ability, it's almost like a front line kill when she takes off in the back row just at the 10 meter line. She was listed as a RS/OH, and she played 2 of 3 front row rotations on the left side. Her jumping ability and arm speed were amazing. It was hard for people to get to where she was hitting. If you weren't already in position around the block, it was hard to get to the kill to dig it.

I expect Cincy's RPI to rise, and UD's to stay even.

That was Cincinnati's first win against Dayton since 2008. UD had won 4 straight against them, with the last 3 being straight sets.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 10:35 PM
I Am A Statistical God

The most recent RPI update only included the UD/UC match, and as I expected, UD didn't move, and UC moved upto 31. Doesn't help UD at all, since it could have been a top 50 win.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:56 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Thompson is the real deal. Although she got 30 kills, it took 74 swings to get them. At times she was unstoppable, but overall I thought we contained her hitting. IMHOP, it was Thompson's serving that was unexpected - 6 aces I think. She really put pressure on our serve receive.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (10-18-2018)
Old 10-18-2018, 08:28 PM

Thanked 17,095 Times in 5,100 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Felt Dayton was never really playing to win, but more like playing to somehow stay alive in the match. That happens when you're down 2-0 but it even felt that way in the 3rd and 4th games -- we were the team trying to hang on and find a way in spite of things.

Overall UC had better athletes and were a MUCH better serving team. Most of their kids could hit a pretty wicked jump serve and it caused us problems in receive. As shaky as I thought our receive was at times however, I felt our setting was substandard even when we had decent receives. Many balls were too close to the net, too far away, too low (almost net high), miscommunication, poor timing, or being predictable.

One other thing I noticed was UCs ability to get off the floor and generate many more kills near the 10ft line as opposed to the Flyers not having as much lift and trying to kill with more shallow diggable balls. When you hit like a tack hammer down at the court, its hard to dig. UC made it hard to dig and Id like to see us hit the same angles they do at the court.

We showed some toughness late to send it to 5, but too many free points were ultimately the undoing again in my opinion. We could have overcome the UC serving and the other things but we just Santa Claus too many un-earned points this reality has been pretty consistent this year. But I cant say its totally unexpected as we're young and playing a lot of newbies and dont have our tall middie or best natural talent available.

We really could have used the W but I think the slightly better team won -- UC just made fewer mistakes and were a bit more consistent. Being able to hit out of the back line was a weapon too.

We'll get there. Before the match we already knew the margin was and would remain thin throughout the rest of the season. A win would have given us some cushion, but right now I think we need to focus on winning every single remaining match in A10 play and somehow tie VCU for the crown. We do that and make the A10 finals, then I feel we're a pretty safe bet for the dance. Wont be easy though. A few other teams can knock us off if we're not at full attention.

Thought Papesh played pretty well for us against UC and gave us some swings to help balance out Bruns a bit. We rely on Bruns like UC relies on Thompson. In a way its unfair to Bruns because she has to face more doubles than she probably deserves without a Kray or Cowdrey or Turner on the other side to suck attention. But that's the way it is.

Wait 2-3 years until we have a pair of 6-6 players and these young pups grow up. You can see the faint outlines of some pretty solid stuff on the roster maturing over the next few seasons. Fans just need to hang in there and let Horsmon do his thing. He doesn't seem too uptight about it at the moment so if he's not, Im not.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".