UDPride Discussion Forums    

Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Womens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 11-11-2018, 07:57 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Terps 82, Flyers 71

Got down 28-11 after first quarter. Played them a bit better than even over the last 3 quarters, but the damage had already been done.
Did not watch so can't say much beyond the stats.

Chandler had 23 points in 29 minutes before fouling out.
Points in the paint - 44-18 in favor of Maryland.
Fast break points - 38-12 in favor of Maryland.
Points off turnovers - 30-19 in favor of Maryland
Those are some ugly numbers.

We did shoot 43% from deep with 13 treys to only 4 for Terps. That offset some of those ugly numbers above.
Advertisement
Old 11-11-2018, 08:31 PM

Thanked 17,094 Times in 5,099 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Based on the numbers, they got a ton of freebie runout baskets. They had 13 steals so almost 70% of our turnovers were from poor passes or ball security that did not happen with a stoppage in play along the way (like a pass out of bounds). Cant gift wrap that much charity to good teams. Maryland had more TOs than we did but we had far fewer steals -- indicating to me they were more loose with the ball rather than Dayton simply taking it away. Shot the ball fairly well. Chandler showcased her inside/outside game. Our progress will largely be measured on the PG play.

Nobody expected a W. I think we can take some lessons from this game moving forward into Northeastern -- who just beat Fordham.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-12-2018)
Old 11-11-2018, 09:41 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,558 Times in 941 Posts
maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
This game was a beat down. The final score is not indicative of how we failed to compete. We had no answer inside. Sure miss Harris and Layfield’s grit. Wilmouth fouled out in 13 minutes and went 1-6. They shot 55%!! We have a lot of work to do if we want to compete in the A10.

Interesting that we finally got a thin thread going many hours after playing a top ten team. Perhaps it has something to do with the lack of streaming free video. We can’t build our brand of Women’s ball on a pay site.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-12-2018, 09:50 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by maddog07 View Post
This game was a beat down. The final score is not indicative of how we failed to compete. We had no answer inside. Sure miss Harris and Layfield’s grit. Wilmouth fouled out in 13 minutes and went 1-6. They shot 55%!! We have a lot of work to do if we want to compete in the A10.

Interesting that we finally got a thin thread going many hours after playing a top ten team. Perhaps it has something to do with the lack of streaming free video. We can’t build our brand of Women’s ball on a pay site.
Posted via Mobile Device
Sounds like you were one of the few to see the game. I did not, so will not comment. You can bet if it was on ESPN+ I would have watched every minute, but who except a B10 fan will pay extra for such a limited channel.

Sounds like we competed some with a Top10 team after a quick turnaround, and on the road. Good experience for all our young players.

I noticed Parkinson, who started the first game, did not play. She really struggled, so no loss, but she must be hurt.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:18 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 6,557 Times in 2,451 Posts
Lifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond reputeLifelong Flyer Fan has a reputation beyond repute
I did not see the game either, but was able to listen to part of it on the audio broadcast. (for those who don't know, Flyer radio travels and covers every away game) Sounded to me if you subtracted the first quarter, we win, which means we adjusted and improved, the deficit was just too great. But an 11 point loss at #9 on their home court is not a beatdown in my book.
Mad Props to Lifelong Flyer Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 10:41 AM
Lieutenant General

maddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant futuremaddog07 has a brilliant future
I watched and it was most assuredly a beating. They shot 56% for pete's sake. We couldn't stop them at all. We fouled 21 times. They made more ft's than we attempted. We got abused on the boards.

Chandler played well. Bradshaw was our leading rebounder, a little guard, because she ran down long rebounds and we couldn't board inside. Dennis was her usual no help 0-3. What a wasted scholarship. In for only 7 minutes but shooting at will. A 6'2"power forward who shoots 42% of her shots from 3 at a woeful 28%. She was only in because Wilmouth looked like she was new to the sport.
Mad Props to maddog07 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (11-12-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 12:28 PM

Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
In other words a Top10 team playing at home did precisely what they were expected to do against an unranked team picked second in their league.

Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-14-2018)
Old 11-12-2018, 01:44 PM
Lieutenant General

Exactly. We should not hope to compete. Come in ill prepared and then execute the strategy of no preparation. Preordained to lose, so get down a smooth 23 and then call it a moral victory to narrow it a little. Well done ladies, after all they are just better than us.
Old 11-12-2018, 03:42 PM

Thanked 2,377 Times in 809 Posts
The Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond reputeThe Fly has a reputation beyond repute
All together now: “The sun’ll come up tomorrow. Bet your bottom dollar that tomorrow ...”
Mad Props to The Fly For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sid Louick (11-12-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:02 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,523 Times in 771 Posts
Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
Too much doom and gloom from this one - how can anyone make a general statement they came in ill prepared that is just preposterous. Anyway, to get better this is a better learning experience than playing Morgan St. (AGAIN) Another preposterous comment noted above "hope to compete in the A-10". Keep in mind the level of competition is not the level of the ACC or even close.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Barney Sentner For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-14-2018), Sid Louick (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:23 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,455 Times in 1,282 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Barney Sentner View Post
Too much doom and gloom from this one - how can anyone make a general statement they came in ill prepared that is just preposterous. Anyway, to get better this is a better learning experience than playing Morgan St. (AGAIN) Another preposterous comment noted above "hope to compete in the A-10". Keep in mind the level of competition is not the level of the ACC or even close.
Keep in mind the source of the negative comments. It's a free country and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but it doesn't mean the opinion is worth anything.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (11-13-2018), jaburr91 (11-13-2018), Sid Louick (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 09:37 AM
Brigadier General

Barney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant futureBarney Sentner has a brilliant future
I know but I just get frustrated reading some of these preposterous (there's that word again) comments. I stay on the blog to try to give insight being at court side for the home games but some of this is not insight.
Cardsflyer (11-14-2018), Sid Louick (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:48 AM

Exactly. We should not hope to compete. Come in ill prepared and then execute the strategy of no preparation. Preordained to lose, so get down a smooth 23 and then call it a moral victory to narrow it a little. Well done ladies, after all they are just better than us.
You don't think Maryland is significantly more talented with far more upside this year? The poll voters certainly think so. You are expecting unrealistic outcomes based on the God given ability on the court.

If UD MBB played Michigan State who is ranked about #10, I would expect a similar result for precisely the same reasons. All the preparation in the world cant undo the difference in natural talent. Pro tip: better players usually result in better teams.

Now if you want to argue we should have Top10 recruiting classes like MSU and Maryland, that's another topic.

If UD WBB was ranked #9 in the AP poll and hosted a team from a non Power 5 league picked to finish second in their conference and only won by 11pts, youd be on here arguing that UD sleepwalked against a nobody and looked bad doing it and allowing the other team to cause 24 turnovers is inexcusable, especially letting them play us even for 3 quarters. We would be a one quarter basketball team that's coming apart at the seams. How could we beat anyone decent if some nobody from a non Power 5 league outplayed us for 30 of 40 minutes.

5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-14-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-13-2018), m21eagle45 (11-14-2018), Sid Louick (11-13-2018), The Fly (11-13-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 02:49 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
I know but I just get frustrated reading some of these preposterous (there's that word again) comments. I stay on the blog to try to give insight being at court side for the home games but some of this is not insight.
I find the ignore feature to be a blessing at times
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Sid Louick (11-13-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:05 AM
Brigadier General

I have never used the ignore feature - where is it? Will it work on my wife as well regarding the grief she gives me every time I tell her I have a broadcast?
Cardsflyer (11-14-2018), jack72 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 09:41 AM
Lieutenant General

I have never used the ignore feature - where is it? Will it work on my wife as well regarding the grief she gives me every time I tell her I have a broadcast?
Go to user CP at far left at the top of the page below the UD pride emblem. Look for settings and options, edit ignore list is the last listing. I don't use it much, only have two on the list but it does clear the air for me. As far as your wife, no guarantees.
Old 11-14-2018, 12:29 PM
Lieutenant General

Did you watch?? I can deal with losing but the undisciplined way we played, no interest in defense or playing hard which led to the quick 23 point deficit should be unacceptable and goes to poor preparation.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Brigadier General

How anyone can tell if a team is not playing hard watching over a tv or computer feed is beyond me or for that matter that they didn't play defense.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:58 PM

Did you watch?? I can deal with losing but the undisciplined way we played, no interest in defense or playing hard which led to the quick 23 point deficit should be unacceptable and goes to poor preparation.
What do you think the Maryland coaching staff is telling their team? They committed 24 turnovers. 24!!!!! Against some non Power 5 team playing on the road. The Terps were evenly played in 3 of 4 quarters vs an A10 team that lost three starters from last year.

You think UDs play was unacceptable? Maryland's product was a complete embarrassment to a Top10 ranking and the Big10. What the heck were they doing all summer? They should either get some better players or better coaches. This should have been an 85-50 beatdown. Which is precisely what VCU suffered when playing similarly ranked Texas a few days ago.

2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
Cardsflyer (11-14-2018), Lifelong Flyer Fan (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:55 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,114 Posts
jaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant futurejaburr91 has a brilliant future
Looks like the Terps heard the call for better players: https://twitter.com/umdwbb/status/1062795069726564353

Maryland perspective on turnovers: http://www.dbknews.com/2018/11/11/ma...-blair-watson/

Most of the Flyers’ giveaways occurred in dangerous areas of the court, while many of Maryland’s were thrown out of bounds on the fast break, mitigating the damage caused by the miscues.

GW not faring much better against UM -- down 40-15 at halftime.

GW almost held scoreless in third quarter -- made a three in last minute -- now trailing 54-18.

GW goes on a scoring spree with 12 in the fourth only to lose 69-30.

To their credit GW held UM to only 69...but I'm guessing they mostly called off the dogs in preparation for Sunday's game against South Carolina.

Last edited by jaburr91; 11-14-2018 at 08:40 PM..
Old 11-17-2018, 05:01 PM
Lieutenant General

How anyone can tell if a team is not playing hard watching over a tv or computer feed is beyond me or for that matter that they didn't play defense.
We’ll Barney it was the same lack of effort I saw again today!!!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device