User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-23-2023, 02:40 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,018 Times in 505 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TXFlyerFan View Post
I included it because of people saying that the rumor had no substance. A rumor that has no substance isn't going to get a reply by Jeff Goodman. This isn't really complicated, no matter how hard you try to make it. You're free to believe the whole thing was made up if that makes you feel better.
If the rumor had substance do you think Goodman would have been the only one who asked and do you think it would taken two weeks to ask? You're right, it isn't complicated because your theory/justification on this is so transparent there really isn't any argument needed.
Advertisement
Old 03-23-2023, 02:41 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,741 Times in 1,013 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I included it because of people saying that the rumor had no substance. A rumor that has no substance isn't going to get a reply by Jeff Goodman. This isn't really complicated, no matter how hard you try to make it. You're free to believe the whole thing was made up if that makes you feel better.
No, it's not as complicated as you're also trying to make it either. I don't know what the truth is/isn't but AG is a national figure, a COTY, a guy that came down from the pro ranks as a top assistant so he's garnering attention. Goodman could have easily heard the same things I did back in November from two HS coaches in Dayton.Unless these guys give up their sources then anybody can say anything and when it's wrong it's always my sources said.

Adam Schefter is about as bad as it gets in reporting innuendoes/non-factual BS to the tune that many NFL guys like Rodgers and Brady won't even acknowledge him. Unfortunately, with $$$ being made off hits and views, it's no longer about getting something right as it is being the first to report.

Last edited by steve; 03-23-2023 at 02:44 PM..
Old 03-23-2023, 02:53 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,697 Times in 2,513 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
If the rumor had substance do you think Goodman would have been the only one who asked and do you think it would taken two weeks to ask? You're right, it isn't complicated because your theory/justification on this is so transparent there really isn't any argument needed.
This reminds me of what the media does, start a rumor without any factual basis, and then have other media members confirm that there is a rumor to attempt to give it legitimacy.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:03 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,781 Times in 940 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
It's sad that hatred of AG makes supposed fans less willing to accept this fact than random announcers. The hatred and bias is glaring.
What are you even talking about anymore? Nobody hates him. It isn't personal in any way.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:14 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,193 Times in 4,215 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Read your bottom post for the answer to your above post...which were made 23 minutes apart...

Then look at Brad Brownell (Clemson's first 8 years) and Scott Nagy at Wright State for a couple others...of which there are plenty.

Plenty, but not many because typically after a 'great' year the coach is grabbed by a larger school and isn't around for another 5 or 6. A better question is to look at coaches who had 1 great year, moved up and failed miserably.
I think part of the problem is that the schools and donors are being too generous with the contract terms given to head coaches.

The AD/school needs to drive a harder bargain with the coaches' agents and be more willing to let some coaches move on to another job rather than give in. The coach will get mad and threaten to leave if he isn't given what he wants, the AD's need to let some of these coaches leave.

I question if some of these coaches will be able to find a better situation than what they currently have. There are a finite amount of good jobs.

Can you explain to me why SLU is bringing Ford back? He has had 7 years, he was given a very fair shot.

Last edited by ud2; 03-23-2023 at 03:20 PM..
Old 03-23-2023, 03:20 PM

Thanked 15,919 Times in 6,999 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post

Can you explain to me why SLU is bringing Ford back?
Because they have a contract.
Flyers98 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 03:21 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,442 Times in 686 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, it wasn't a rumor fabricated out of thin air, but some people can believe what they want.
Old 03-23-2023, 03:23 PM
Colonel

Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
Yep, it wasn't a rumor fabricated out of thin air, but some people can believe what they want.
I believe what evidence and facts lead me to believe. Do you have either of those two things to offer? Then sit down and shut up!
Old 03-23-2023, 03:24 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Because they have a contract.
You know what I am asking. What has Ford done to justify giving him an 8th year? The SLU AD was probably too generous with the contract that they gave to Ford, they probably can't afford to fire him, IMO that is the only logical conclusion.
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 03:42 PM
Captain

AZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud ofAZFlyer85 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
You know what I am asking. What has Ford done to justify giving him an 8th year? The SLU AD was probably too generous with the contract that they gave to Ford, they probably can't afford to fire him, IMO that is the only logical conclusion.
I would think that SLU fans are not happy with Ford. It's a mixed bag with him staying. On one hand UD is guaranteed at least one win every year against SLU. At the same time, Ford's teams consistently underperform and weaken the A10 as a conference.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by AZFlyer85 View Post
I would think that SLU fans are not happy with Ford. It's a mixed bag with him staying. On one hand UD is guaranteed at least one win every year against SLU. At the same time, Ford's teams consistently underperform and weaken the A10 as a conference.
Well, obviously, we could be in a similar situation next year. If Grant is 1/7, then IMO the only logical conclusion as to why they would retain him is because they can't afford to fire him. I mean come on, does 1/7 really justify an 8th year?

SLU and UD seem like very similar institutions, the same thing could/maybe likely will happen here. I am not sure that a lot of posters have come to terms with that.

BG, again, was still under contract for another 7 years here when he left. It wouldn't surprise me at all if Grant has more than 7 years left on his deal even after next year.

Last edited by ud2; 03-23-2023 at 04:03 PM..
Old 03-23-2023, 04:34 PM
Brigadier General

flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
I believe what evidence and facts lead me to believe. Do you have either of those two things to offer? Then sit down and shut up!
Some people do have those but aren't at liberty to share the details. If you don't want to believe those people, that's fine. It doesn't make it any less true.
Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 04:40 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
It was also just a rumor that their would be a mass exodus at the end of the season and we are already up to three, with five if you count the the two that left midseason.
Old 03-23-2023, 04:48 PM

I thought I'd post this since it is news to me, I don't recall reading this on here.

GT only had to pay UD $750k to buy out BG's contract, so apparently those 7 years that were left on BG's UD contract were totally negotiable. So, I suppose AG's contract may have a similar clause.

And BTW, the below link did correctly predict a year in advance that BG would be let go at GT in 2016.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/atlalld...-fire-him/amp/:

Gregory’s initial buyout from Dayton cost $750,000 in 2011 when he took over the job. That’s already sunk money in terms of what it cost to get him, but any good coach is also going to have that type of clause.

Last edited by ud2; 03-23-2023 at 05:19 PM..
Old 03-23-2023, 05:35 PM
Colonel

Some people do have those but aren't at liberty to share the details. If you don't want to believe those people, that's fine. It doesn't make it any less true.
So basically since I can’t prove a negative I’m asked to believe people I don’t know many of whom have been vocal about their own agenda on the subject. Sorry that isn’t a reasonable request. I do want to apologize for the sit down and shut up part of my post. That wasn’t necessary and was born of my frustration at people who have been conclusively proven wrong insisting that they were really right but they can’t tell me why. In any event I apologize for the incivility.
Old 03-23-2023, 05:43 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by bcross View Post
It was also just a rumor that their would be a mass exodus at the end of the season and we are already up to three, with five if you count the the two that left midseason.
I wouldn’t call that a rumor, I would call it a prediction that wasn’t really hard to make and has to present come true to an extent. I don’t recall anyone saying “I have it on good information that X and Y and Z are leaving.” That’s a rumor.

In any event, one has nothing to do with the other and frankly if there was truth to the rumor that AG was going hang it up, do you think players leaving (and I still think Holmes and Camara are going pro, they haven’t made an announcement because they don’t have to get out there and find a new home), would make him more or less likely to come back? So that seems to cut against the first rumor.
Old 03-23-2023, 07:31 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,653 Times in 776 Posts
CoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeeCan has a reputation beyond repute
Hot take... the players had one on ones w CAG and staff at the end of the year and some told them that they were transferring. Neil and CAG orchestrated the careful scheduled releases to the portal so as to not make everyone jump ship same day
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CoffeeCan For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-24-2023), shocka43 (03-23-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 08:16 PM

Thanked 9,820 Times in 4,078 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
So some people's predictions were correct? Maybe those predictions had some basis versus message board BS.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to shocka43 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-25-2023), rollo (03-24-2023)
Old 03-23-2023, 10:08 PM
Major

podcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant futurepodcast411 has a brilliant future
Per transfers - That was not a rumor. It was speculation and given the state of transfers and the rule changes an easy speculation.

Per AG - that was just made up BS that some lower IQ anti-AG folks jumped all over.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to podcast411 For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan67 (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 08:59 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,781 Times in 940 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by podcast411 View Post
lower IQ anti-AG folks jumped all over.
Posted via Mobile Device
More ad hominem, zero substance.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:26 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by podcast411 View Post
Per transfers - That was not a rumor. It was speculation and given the state of transfers and the rule changes an easy speculation.

Per AG - that was just made up BS that some lower IQ anti-AG folks jumped all over.
Posted via Mobile Device
The best part of the internet is watching people speak with such unearned confidence about stuff that they are very wrong about.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bigudfan (03-24-2023), TXFlyerFan (03-24-2023)
Old 03-24-2023, 09:53 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,697 Times in 2,513 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CoffeeCan View Post
Hot take... the players had one on ones w CAG and staff at the end of the year and some told them that they were transferring. Neil and CAG orchestrated the careful scheduled releases to the portal so as to not make everyone jump ship same day
Not according to Amzil. He stated that, to his knowledge, he just decided when he decided and that he had no idea on anyone else. Again, let’s not make up anymore Twitter type rumors.
Old 03-24-2023, 09:57 AM

Thanked 1,321 Times in 688 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
The best part of the internet is watching people speak with such unearned confidence about stuff that they are very wrong about.
Ignornence fueled by arrogance
Old 03-24-2023, 10:31 AM
Brigadier General

Jack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to all
Over 300 posts on this thread. I read multiple tweets about CAG's future... yes. It turned out to be bs. But other than the occasional personal attacks, this thread has had good discussion.

I want UD to win. CAG is a flyer and he is a good man. But, there are many aspects of his coaching that annoy me.

Zero NCAAs. Not good. It's like a salesperson missing quota every year.

I want UD to win, so I hope CAG can work some magic.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:38 PM
Colonel

So do you dispute that the AG issue involved someone saying that they heard AG was going to take a job in the athletic department and Greer would be the new head coach (and variations on that theme); and...

The portal issue involved people saying "there is going to be a mass exodus" or "I think X and Y and Z are going to leave"?

Those two things are not the same, the first, even if for the sake of argument I assume it is true, is a rumor because it is expressly based on information someone claims to have that is not public knowledge, the second is not a rumor because it is someone's prediction or their own opinion and is easily identifiable as such.

For a real world example: CoffeeCan recently posted his "hot take" on the spacing of transfer announcements. It is identified as "my hot take" as opposed to "I heard from someone, I can't tell you who, that this is why they spaced out the announcements." So agree with him or don't but at least he isn't trying to pass of his opinion off as a fact that the rest of us just aren't privy to.

I love how confident you are while either showing an utter lack of reading comprehension skills or just being completely disingenuous. I would also be remiss if I didn't remind you and everyone else that the only reason you even brought up the predictions about who would leave and who would stay was to point out that some of them came true as way of, I guess, proving that the people who started the rumor about AG know what they are talking about. If everything I said above was wrong, and it isn't, it still wouldn't change the fact that the AG rumor was false which was the whole point in the first place. So the attempt to deflect from the original issue is utterly ridiculous.

You simply do not get the benefit of the doubt when you post something, it turns out not to happen and then you say, it was true but I can't tell you how I know that. Then you and your buddy call other people arrogant? I can't think of anything more arrogant than parading around pretending to have some secret knowledge and even when it turns out to be wrong, still insisting that you were right.

Last edited by Flyers98; 03-24-2023 at 03:44 PM..
Old 03-24-2023, 03:39 PM
Colonel

Ignornence fueled by arrogance
Good, good, self awareness is the first step.
Old 03-24-2023, 03:44 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
Not according to Amzil. He stated that, to his knowledge, he just decided when he decided and that he had no idea on anyone else. Again, let’s not make up anymore Twitter type rumors.
I'm gonna defend Coffee here. Hot Take means "here is my take on this" it is not a rumor.
Old 03-24-2023, 05:30 PM

Thanked 1,321 Times in 688 Posts
TXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeTXFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Good, good, self awareness is the first step.
Congratulations on following the first step of the ten step program. Keep at it, you'll get there.