» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Dodging White Death In Dayton
Published by Swampy Meadows
01-13-2019

DAYTON (OH) -- Being a staunch believer in the accuracy of weather prognosticators, Mrs. Swampy and I departed Detroit on Friday afternoon to travel south for today’s matchup with UMass. We stopped in the Gem City to grab a bite to eat at the Sub House on Brown Street and while heading across the Stewart Street Bridge we saw a charter bus and I observed “Oh that’s probably UMass headed to the Marriott.” My better half reminded me that the game wasn’t until Sunday afternoon, so I was probably mistaken. Turns out that’s exactly what the Minutemen had done – they got into town 2 days early to avoid the certain “White Death” that rollo warned the UD Pride MB was about to descend on Dayton. The Sons of Amherst were returning from a team excursion to TopGolf down I-75 in West Chester.

-- Took a chance coming down for the game when the Patriots were playing vs. the LA Chargers in the NFL Playoffs. My worries were unfounded.

-- Ran into David Jablonski from The DDN who introduced me to his father. David explained that his dad built a full-court basketball court in their backyard. “And a baseball diamond” added his dad. How could you not become a sportswriter with a dad like that?

-- Larry and Bucky were just getting settled when I stopped by to says hello. In talking about UD’s comeback in their last game vs. GW, Larry recalled the biggest halftime lead that the Flyers ever overcame, a game during AG’s senior year in which Steve Smith (remember him?) was forced to start due to numerous injuries and he acquitted himself quite nicely in the victory.

-- Got a fist bump from Bucky.

-- John R is still waiting for the cupholder to be installed at his seat. Must be Phase 3 of the reno, John!

-- Tim McCormack will be doing color for NBC Sports Network this afternoon. He is one big dude and usually highly complimentary of the Flyer program.

-- Matt Schwade from FlyerHoops.net saw Flyer PG recruiting target Dom Penn from Dublin Coffman HS play last night. Penn dropped 30+ points in a winning effort. Penn was slated to be here for today’s tilt but had to cancel (probably because of the snow!) Penn is the son of former Buckeye Scoonie, so basketball is in his bloodlines.

-- Recent history for UD vs. the Minutemen is not good, so let’s hope for a better outcome this afternoon. Always a plus when you get a shot clock violation on your opponent’s first possession. And just like that it’s Josh 5, UMass 0. Jordan Davis continues his hot hand from the land of plenty vs. GW and it’s 8-0 UD and Matt McCall needs a TO. Flyers are playing man-to-man vs. the zone that got shredded on Wednesday.

-- Obi checks in at 16:05. 13,000 referees are not agreeing with any of the zebras calls. Let’s see if Holloway can keep up with Obi One. 10-6 UD at the under 16 media TO. UD comes out in a three-quarter court trap. 12-11 after 5 points by Pipkins. JD for three! Obi got whacked in the head during a scrum at mid-court—no call of course, as UMass has zero PF. Cohill misses a three but then doesn’t hesitate when he is open and drains one shortly after.

-- JD again! I betcha if you ask him, Jordan thinks he is never going to miss another three pointer again. 21-13 UD at the under 12. UD comes out in a zone and Holloway negates it. UD fans give the refs a Bronx cheer when they finally call a PF on the Minutemen with 10 and change left in the half. Holloway scores again—time to lose the zone. Obi scores on a driving dunk over Holloway and the harm, but he misses the FT.

-- Holloway with the text book moving screen. Wave off the bucket and take a seat big guy. Frankie joins Dwayne in getting some first half burn – for 36 seconds. UMass dude misses a dunk and the spheroid caroms into the second row of seats! Obi with the helper for a Josh layup. Pipkins buries a three and it’s 29-24. Breakaway jam reduces it to 29-26. Josh with the hoop and one stretches the lead back to 6. Dayton zones it up again and it helps draw a moving screen foul. Obi will head to the line for a pair after the TO with 3:03 remaining. He splits ‘em. But then he blocks a UMass attempt and Josh tracks it down. Obi ain’t just about dunks, folks. The Minutemen finally catch up and pass the Flyers in the PF department at 8. Halftime score UD up 38-33.

-- UMass opens the second stanza in a zone. A three by them and the lead is three. Jordan Davis once again! Big dude Holloway charges into Josh and hits the bench with 3 PF. The teams are trading buckets of both the two and three point variety. The refs seem to have found their whistles as UMass has 4 PF in 5 minutes. This going 1-2 from the FT line has gotta stop fellas. JD again from three on a great assist by Jalen. 48-43 at the under 16. (actually 14:57 to go)

-- The teams trade empty possessions for a while. Obi has taken a few jumpers this afternoon and they are not dropping. Toppin redeems himself by feeding Mikesell for his first hoop and the sixth UMass foul. And of course Ryan misses the FT. UD is now 5-11 from the charity stripe. Pierre drains a three and the lead is a single point until Jalen matches him. 53-49 at the under 12. Another UMass triple, but Jalen does likewise again. Josh feeds that man Davis for three yet again, but Pipkins hits one as well! Crutcher hits a layup for a 6-point bulge and the pace has picked up. UMass takes a TO trailing 61-55 with 8:09 to go. Jordan leads all scorers with 21.

-- The Flyers are in the bonus with 7:43 remaining and Trey will be at the line for a one and one. He makes both of them! Flyers dodge a bullet when UMass misses a wide open three but then the bad guys tie it at 63 on a layup with 5:46 on the clock. Mikesell has a three pointer spin out and Jordan finally misses a three as does Crutcher. Still knotted at 63 two minutes later when Trey is fouled after skying for a defensive rebound. He rattles home the first and swishes the second.

Question: Where are Obi and Josh in this offense?

-- Dayton ball after Holloway is double-teamed. But Obi coughs it up and Pipkins scores. It’s turnover city out there but Flyer rock with 2:09 left. Crutcher gets fouled and hits the pair. The crowd gets loud. Fortunately, UD has PF to burn. Holloway bullies his way to tie it up once again. They are playing offense/defense with the big fella when possible. Jalen Crutcher for three!!! TO UMass! 56 ticks on the scoreboard.

-- Mikesell rebounds the UMass miss and UD chews clock until Jalen dishes to Trey who gets nailed and will shoot a pair. 1-2 anyone? Dayton leads by 4 with 13.3 remaining. And here is where the extra PFs pays dividends. UMass misses and Trey corrals the board and gets a bear hug from Holloway for his fifth. Trey goes 1-2 of course but it doesn’t matter.

UD 72
UMass 67

3-0 in the A-10 baby!

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By moville on 01-15-2019, 08:18 PM
Nice job Swamp. FYi, Jablonski . . . one of his profs at Ohio U. was Danny Riffe, UD '71 and Belmont High . . . as an old newsman myself, he does a nice job . . . as do you. What a comeback at GW. Sat by myself in the corner up top . . . praying for the comeback.
Comment

Article Tools