User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 06-07-2022, 09:46 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,429 Times in 754 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Roster Status

Is it safe to assume that the roster is set for 22-23? Are there any players who are still not committed who UD has recruited?
Posted via Mobile Device
Advertisement
Old 06-07-2022, 10:23 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,763 Times in 928 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
I'm assuming (hoping) the staff is still trying to fill the last ship with a point guard.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,037 Times in 2,598 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
I'm assuming (hoping) the staff is still trying to fill the last ship with a point guard.
I'm guessing they are done... Gonna roll with the 12.
Old 06-08-2022, 08:07 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
Maybe they feel good with MM getting some backup PG minutes for 8-10 mpg?
Old 06-08-2022, 10:12 AM
Brigadier General

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TheDuke2003 View Post
Maybe they feel good with MM getting some backup PG minutes for 8-10 mpg?
I don't understand how this could be the case. Last year we went into the season with four point guards. By year's end we had one and he's our starting SG.

This year we go in with two and half and one of them is still our starting SG. This is a basic math problem. Losing one PG to injury/transfer/suspension would be devastating, two would be catastrophic. Remember we lost THREE last year.
Old 06-08-2022, 10:28 AM
General of the Air Force

lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
I don't understand how this could be the case. Last year we went into the season with four point guards. By year's end we had one and he's our starting SG.

This year we go in with two and half and one of them is still our starting SG. This is a basic math problem. Losing one PG to injury/transfer/suspension would be devastating, two would be catastrophic. Remember we lost THREE last year.
I think last year was an anomaly... I think with another year under his belt, Kobe can become a solid #3 PG behind Mali & Mike... Plus, it looks we might be bringing in a solid Walk-On that can handle some minutes (like Christian Wilson) in a worse case scenario.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:32 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future

Agree with you. I'd really like to see another PG on the roster, but I imagine part of Sharavjamts' commitment had to do with Grant giving him an opportunity at PG. Whether that means promising not to bring in another PG or promising him the backup PG minutes, we'll never know.

But I'm sure there are conditions to a player of Mike's caliber committing to UD.
Old 06-08-2022, 11:39 AM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's a sign they're confident in Mike and Kobe.

The other thing to remember is that Sully and someone on here hinted Brea might transfer. Kobe playing PG gets him on the court more
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
hawkoooo (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 12:03 PM
Major

superfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
Agree with you. I'd really like to see another PG on the roster, but I imagine part of Sharavjamts' commitment had to do with Grant giving him an opportunity at PG. Whether that means promising not to bring in another PG or promising him the backup PG minutes, we'll never know.

But I'm sure there are conditions to a player of Mike's caliber committing to UD.
I have no knowledge of how recruiting actually works, but I sure hope you are wrong. I would think we are always looking for quality players at all positions. I would never promise not to bring in another PG or any other position.

Wasn't Holmes ranked higher than Mike? Were there conditions to his commitment? I wouldn't think so, other than opportunity.
Old 06-08-2022, 12:06 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
I think it's a sign they're confident in Mike and Kobe.

The other thing to remember is that Sully and someone on here hinted Brea might transfer. Kobe playing PG gets him on the court more
If that's the case it sounds like they probably are done and are comfortable with the idea of backup-PG-by-committee. I'm not, but I'm a big dummy so who cares what I think. One thing I do know, for sure, is that Kobe Brea is not a PG.
Old 06-08-2022, 02:01 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
I think last year was an anomaly... I think with another year under his belt, Kobe can become a solid #3 PG behind Mali & Mike... Plus, it looks we might be bringing in a solid Walk-On that can handle some minutes (like Christian Wilson) in a worse case scenario.
Two years ago Cohill tore an ACL and missed the season, Chatman needed hand surgery and missed 6 weeks, and Frazier never got going after an appendectomy. Johnson leaves the team and Sissoko misses the final month with an injury. Stuff happens. Hard to remember a season when we didn't have at least one guy miss significant time.
Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
Chris R (06-09-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 02:04 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
I've made my point that I think we're "whistling by the graveyard" as far as our PG depth goes. This is a really big year for the team and program. Consensus pre-season top 25 team (uncommon), with the high likely hood of losing both Holmes, Camara and another player next offseason. Winning big this year will be huge for recruiting. The country is going to be stacked with very good teams this year with the amount of teams welcoming an abundance of transfers. We have the potential for a deep run, but are perilously close to being an NIT team as well. Bringing in a transfer PG with experience would help alleviate any long-term injury to our guards. We'll see where we are at the end of the summer team-wise, but I really hope we decided not to add a PG because of fear of offending a player on this team.

I like this team a lot, but this upcoming season is going to be a dogfight from start to finish. Hopefully the talent on our bench progressed significantly from last year. We'll soon find out.

I'll end by saying that this team is going to be playing for it's coach like never before. Coach Grant is a very special man, and every player on this team was wounded last week. I know I was.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (06-10-2022), GoFlyer (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 02:29 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
I have not heard anything about a walk on. What do you or anyone know about him? There are a number of walk on players that have been good players for UD over the years.
Old 06-08-2022, 03:15 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
I highly doubt that a decent PG looking to play a bigger role on a new team would look at our depth chart and think that UD presents a compelling opportunity.

Yes, it would be great to have another solid PG to help deal with injuries in the course of a long season. But finding a solid PG willing to sign on to that role is a whole other matter. If a bit role is what they want, they probably wouldn't be compelled to transfer in the first place.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (06-10-2022), GoFlyer (06-08-2022), jack72 (06-09-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-08-2022), Sticks 'n Stearns (06-08-2022), TA111 (06-08-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 03:41 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by The Gem View Post
I have not heard anything about a walk on. What do you or anyone know about him? There are a number of walk on players that have been good players for UD over the years.
Just did some twitter searching... I don't know for sure... But 6'1" Guard Ty Locklear from Oberlin High School... Was D3 Honorable Mention All-State Last Year

I saw this tweet from a couple weeks ago

WOBL/WDLW Sports @WOBLWDLWSPORTS
May 27

Congratulations to @TYcertified24 of @OBPhoenix @OberlinSchools on winning a scholarship from Oberlin Cable Co-Op and #Wobl #Wdlw Radio. 📸 via @OberlinWeekly @cityofoberlin Good luck at @DaytonFlyers @DaytonMBB 💪🏽❗️
https://twitter.com/WOBLWDLWSPORTS/s...5XrbF-9P5lh_Iw

I Guess we'll see
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (06-09-2022), FIFO28 (06-08-2022), flyer016 (06-09-2022), FLYER5 (06-10-2022), Jeff (06-08-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-08-2022), springborofan (06-08-2022), The Gem (06-09-2022)
Old 06-08-2022, 09:32 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Probably the best walk-on that UD ever had was 6'6" Bobby Wehrli who played from 2012 to 2016 and was part of the 2014 Elite 8 team. He was discovered during a pick-up game at the Rec Plex by assistant coach Bill Comar and improved so much each year that he eventually earned a full scholarship.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CvilleFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (06-10-2022), flyerfanatic86 (06-14-2022), FlyingArrow (06-09-2022), Glen Clark (06-08-2022), The Gem (06-09-2022), TheDuke2003 (06-14-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 01:13 AM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
I highly doubt that a decent PG looking to play a bigger role on a new team would look at our depth chart and think that UD presents a compelling opportunity.

Yes, it would be great to have another solid PG to help deal with injuries in the course of a long season. But finding a solid PG willing to sign on to that role is a whole other matter. If a bit role is what they want, they probably wouldn't be compelled to transfer in the first place.
Really? Out of the 100’s of guards available, not one with talent is interested in a complimentary role? I find that very hard to believe. But whatever, let’s roll with who we have I guess.
Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
hawkoooo (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 04:14 AM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CvilleFlyer View Post
Probably the best walk-on that UD ever had was 6'6" Bobby Wehrli who played from 2012 to 2016 and was part of the 2014 Elite 8 team. He was discovered during a pick-up game at the Rec Plex by assistant coach Bill Comar and improved so much each year that he eventually earned a full scholarship.
Andy Metzler I think was a walk on and Waleskowski
The Gem (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 07:04 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerinChicago View Post
Really? Out of the 100’s of guards available, not one with talent is interested in a complimentary role? I find that very hard to believe. But whatever, let’s roll with who we have I guess.
There is a big difference between a complimentary role and third string point guard. That is not to say that there isn't someone out there looking to earn a masters degree that would be interested but I think a grad or upperclass transfer is looking to play as a general statement. I do generally agree that it would be great if we could get another point guard.
Old 06-09-2022, 07:44 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
The reason I think there were some conditions to Sharavjamt's commitment tie to the lack of bringing in a PG. The need for a PG is glaring. We all saw what happened when Mali went down. I assure you the coaches noticed as well.

There's tact in conveying these conditions. They didn't outright say, "You'll play 20 mpg at PG," or "You're our backup PG." They finessed it and told Mike and his Dad that they see him primarily as a PG, and he'll be given every shot to stick there. His Dad has tweeted as much.

Still a really risky proposition to my mind. The 22-23 roster is set up for some real success. Injuries to Mali or Brea and Sharavjamts's needing an acclimation period could really derail things. But that's roster-building. The coaches do appear to believe Sharavjamts can play PG, and they clearly like his potential. You leave the 22-23 team open to a little risk in order to serve future rosters (in hopes Mike really blossoming).

That said, still a whole summer left to find a veteran PG. It isn't a particularly compelling opportunity and probably best reserved for a guy who wants to go into coaching. Andrew Dakich going to Ohio State comes to mind (though he ended up playing quite a bit). Hell, call up Chris Holtman and ask for tips. He saves at least one scholarship a year for a back-of-the-roster veteran PG.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:24 AM
Colonel

bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
The reason I think there were some conditions to Sharavjamt's commitment tie to the lack of bringing in a PG. The need for a PG is glaring. We all saw what happened when Mali went down. I assure you the coaches noticed as well.

There's tact in conveying these conditions. They didn't outright say, "You'll play 20 mpg at PG," or "You're our backup PG." They finessed it and told Mike and his Dad that they see him primarily as a PG, and he'll be given every shot to stick there. His Dad has tweeted as much.
Greer and Weaver were still on the team when Mike committed which makes any conditions seem unrealistic.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bcross For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-09-2022), superfan99 (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 10:49 AM
Major

Originally Posted by bcross View Post
Greer and Weaver were still on the team when Mike committed which makes any conditions seem unrealistic.
Sharavjamts commits on Dec. 14. Greer announces his transfer on Dec. 26 and his commitment to St. Joe's on Dec. 28. Weaver was a fourth-year player behind two freshmen starters and eligible for a no-sit transfer.

Wheels were turning.

There's a reality of the team well beyond the public's conception, and I imagine priority recruits get a pretty good sense of team climate and the future of the roster, including where the recruit fits now and in the future.

There has to be more to the story than we know. With a loaded front court, we're going to ride with one conventional PG and a combo guard?

Last edited by flyer016; 06-09-2022 at 11:00 AM..
Old 06-09-2022, 11:12 AM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
I think they were both walk ons, but I am not 100% on that. Keith was great, but I used to like watching Metzler play. I remember his patented move was to drive the lane against guys who were bigger, stronger, and more athletic. He would get clobbered and then calmly get up and nail his free throws. At least that's how I remember it. It was a long time ago.
Mad Props to The Gem For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 11:27 AM
Colonel

I think it will be very hard to find a transfer to play backup PG. Young people these days do not want to wait their turn like in the old days. The reason they all hit the portal is mostly to find more playing time, not less or the same. Mike, Elvis, and Smith look like the options. If Mike is as advertised, I think we will be OK unless two of them miss a lot of time with injuries. Locklear may be the emergency backup plan. Maybe he is just what we need if the injury bug bites us.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:01 PM
General

I think they should have found a back up PG for one year with the open scholarship but I think this is a vote of confidence in Mike and Elvis. The staff must feel comfortable with that have

With 1,000 of guys in the portal a guy that could play back up was definitely out there

Someone who was dead set on starting wouldn't have come but a Ryan Bass type would have. Guy probably wouldn't have been a star but someone who could play 10 minutes (or more in blowouts) and not turn the ball over would have been useful

Clemson had a former player, Hunter Johnson, transfer back to be a 3rd string QB and get started on an MBA/coaching career. Those guys definitely exist

https://247sports.com/Article/Clemso...ers-180829524/
Wallage (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 12:07 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Bobby Wehrli was an incredibly significant walk-on.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
BeckysTXA (06-09-2022), Glen Clark (06-12-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 12:12 PM
Major

I think it will be very hard to find a transfer to play backup PG. Young people these days do not want to wait their turn like in the old days. The reason they all hit the portal is mostly to find more playing time, not less or the same.
Don't fall for that stuff. Young adults today are made of the same stuff as those in the past. The conditions are different. I assure you many in the 1980s and 1990s would have liked to transfer, but the mechanisms for doing so were much much more difficult.

Mike, Elvis, and Smith look like the options. If Mike is as advertised, I think we will be OK unless two of them miss a lot of time with injuries. Locklear may be the emergency backup plan. Maybe he is just what we need if the injury bug bites us.
Agreed. It could work out well, and the prospect of a full year of healthy Smith is exciting. But the roster imbalance still makes no sense.
Old 06-09-2022, 12:22 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
IIRC, Metzler began as a walkon and (like Wehrli) eventually earned a scholarship, and Waleskowski came here as a Frosh with his family knowing they’d have to pay a year of tuition, but with the promise of a scholarship starting in 2000-01. At least, that’s how I recall both situations.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (06-12-2022), SeasonTicketFan (06-09-2022), TheDuke2003 (06-14-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 01:32 PM
General

Thanked 4,578 Times in 2,405 Posts
Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Sharavjamts commits on Dec. 14. Greer announces his transfer on Dec. 26 and his commitment to St. Joe's on Dec. 28. Weaver was a fourth-year player behind two freshmen starters and eligible for a no-sit transfer.

Wheels were turning.

There's a reality of the team well beyond the public's conception, and I imagine priority recruits get a pretty good sense of team climate and the future of the roster, including where the recruit fits now and in the future.

There has to be more to the story than we know. With a loaded front court, we're going to ride with one conventional PG and a combo guard?
Last season, we started with 4 PGs. But before that, when did we ever have 4 PGs that we could count on in case of injury? During the Scoochie years he was a backup to Price and then on very small depth chart, the only one with Darrell Davis spelling him as necessary. We certainly would've been lost that season if we had to use Davis for full games. The next two seasons he was the starter with Crosby as the backup(I certainly think we're better off now than that) and Darrell Davis still there in a pinch. After that it was Crutcher-Crosby-Davis, Crutcher-Nobody, Crutcher-Chatman, Crutcher-Chatman-Weaver-Frazier(Frazier was useless).

This coming season it looks to be Mali-Mike-Elvis. If Elvis wasn't a starting SG, I think this would look safer. But since he is, is it any worse depth-wise than Crutcher-Chatman? And my thought is that maybe Elvis doesn't start and Brea takes over as starter with Mike and Elvis getting their minutes at both PG and SG backups which should provide enough minutes since we have two starting SG positions (Blakney holding the other).

So there might be a time where Mali goes down and we have to use Mike-Elvis to get us 40 minutes, but let's just hope that he doesn't go down for long and he doesn't go down at the end of the season. But if you think about it, we would've been in the same boat if Scooch or Crutch had gone down the same way Mali did last season. You just can't plan 100 percent for these events and if they happen, and hopefully they happen rarely, you take your lumps. Every team I'm sure has a player or two that if they get injured for any length of time will derail their season immensely, you just have to hope it doesn't happen.

Everybody is worried because of what happened to Mali in the A10 tourney, but what would happen if it's DaRon instead? Yes, we have plenty of depth at the big positions, but it would still derail our season.

Last edited by Smitty10; 06-09-2022 at 01:35 PM..
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CT Flyer (06-09-2022), flyer016 (06-09-2022), superfan99 (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 01:37 PM
General

Originally Posted by Smitty10 View Post

Everybody is worried because of what happened to Mali in the A10 tourney, but what would happen if it's DaRon instead? Yes, we have plenty of depth at the big positions, but it would still derail our season.
Both would be bad but it'd be easier to survive the loss of DaRon
Old 06-09-2022, 01:45 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
We are not seeing what the coaches are seeing, and we are not knowing what the coaches know, and we sure didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. The coaches must be comfortable with the three possible point guards they have. Smith will play 30-35 minutes a game, and Mike the rest. Who was coming here to sit behind that? Sure there can be injuries, but how do you sell that, "Come to UD and play some if two guys get injured, or if you beat out a Top 100 recruit." The same scenario Greer bailed on.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
TA111 (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 01:46 PM
Major

Last season, we started with 4 PGs. But before that, when did we ever have 4 PGs that we could count on in case of injury? During the Scoochie years he was a backup to Price and then on very small depth chart, the only one with Darrell Davis spelling him as necessary. We certainly would've been lost that season if we had to use Davis for full games. The next two seasons he was the starter with Crosby as the backup(I certainly think we're better off now than that) and Darrell Davis still there in a pinch. After that it was Crutcher-Crosby-Davis, Crutcher-Nobody, Crutcher-Chatman, Crutcher-Chatman-Weaver-Frazier(Frazier was useless).

This coming season it looks to be Mali-Mike-Elvis. If Elvis wasn't a starting SG, I think this would look safer. But since he is, is it any worse depth-wise than Crutcher-Chatman? And my thought is that maybe Elvis doesn't start and Brea takes over as starter with Mike and Elvis getting their minutes at both PG and SG backups which should provide enough minutes since we have two starting SG positions (Blakney holding the other).

So there might be a time where Mali goes down and we have to use Mike-Elvis to get us 40 minutes, but let's just hope that he doesn't go down for long and he doesn't go down at the end of the season. But if you think about it, we would've been in the same boat if Scooch or Crutch had gone down the same way Mali did last season. You just can't plan 100 percent for these events and if they happen, and hopefully they happen rarely, you take your lumps. Every team I'm sure has a player or two that if they get injured for any length of time will derail their season immensely, you just have to hope it doesn't happen.

Appreciate the post, and I don't think it's a numbers thing as much as a individual players thing (if that makes any sense).

I, personally, don't like Elvis as a PG. I thought he turned a corner last year when he started looking for his shot. He looks like another player, and a bit uncomfortable, when trying to facilitate. Love his potential, but I'd like to see him off the ball as much as possible.

Love Mali too, but he's reckless. I think he has the potential to be as good a PG as we've had in a while (which is high praise), but his play style seems conducive to injuries. I want him to stay full-tilt, but I know that comes with increased injury-risk. I worry about serious injuries, as well as getting nicked up and worn down throughout the season.

And Mike looks like a great player going forward, but he's awful thin and unusually sized for a PG. Doesn't mean it can't work out, but I have concerns about his ability to handle a big work load out of the gates.

Throw those things together, and it scares me, especially with all the talent on the rest of the roster. There's no full-proof roster composition, and there's always going to be some risk or areas of weakness. I know I'd feel a lot better if we had a solid dude to rely on for 10-15 mpg, if anything to keep Mali fresh.
Mad Props to flyer016 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 01:50 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
And one more thing: who knows what adding another PG does to the chemistry and state of mind of the players already on the team. We've all heard of addition by subtraction. There's also such a thing as subtraction by addition.
Old 06-09-2022, 01:51 PM
General

If you lost Mali or DaRon for 3 weeks in A10 play which scenario do you think UD would end up with a better record?
Old 06-09-2022, 01:54 PM
Colonel

Wheels were turning.

I just don't see any reason to believe, nor is there evidence that it is Mike that is holding AG back from bringing in another guard.

Transfers are a reality and you really didn't need a behind the curtains look to see the likelihood of one of the guards would transferring. Bringing in Mike made a lot of sense at the time without the wheels having to be turning in the background. He was also unranked and largely under the radar. AG has been around the game long enough to know the risks of having his stock blow up and other schools start getting involved.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:01 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Everybody has lots of good ideas to explain the delay in utilizing this last scholarship. Is it not possible that Anthony Grant is mourning the death of his daughter? Hence, things have slowed down a bit?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-09-2022, 02:05 PM
General

Originally Posted by Buckleyma View Post
Everybody has lots of good ideas to explain the delay in utilizing this last scholarship. Is it not possible that Anthony Grant is mourning the death of his daughter? Hence, things have slowed down a bit?
Posted via Mobile Device
There didn't seem to be much activity before that. If he wanted to fill it I would think it would have done in April/May
Old 06-09-2022, 02:06 PM
Colonel

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
We are not seeing what the coaches are seeing, and we are not knowing what the coaches know, and we sure didn't stay at a Holiday Inn last night. The coaches must be comfortable with the three possible point guards they have. Smith will play 30-35 minutes a game, and Mike the rest. Who was coming here to sit behind that? Sure there can be injuries, but how do you sell that, "Come to UD and play some if two guys get injured, or if you beat out a Top 100 recruit." The same scenario Greer bailed on.
Mike may be able to run the point, but can he defend the opposing PG? That's my biggest question. Bringing in more of a combo guard that can play off the ball would seem to be the solution.

At the same time, AG has brought transfer bigs the past two years to play lessor roles, so I don't think it is impossible.
Old 06-09-2022, 02:30 PM
General

The idea that no one in the portal would accepted a Ryan Bass type role is pure fiction and cope
Flyers98 (06-09-2022)
Old 06-09-2022, 02:47 PM
General

Smitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond reputeSmitty10 has a reputation beyond repute
Appreciate the post, and I don't think it's a numbers thing as much as a individual players thing (if that makes any sense).

I, personally, don't like Elvis as a PG. I thought he turned a corner last year when he started looking for his shot. He looks like another player, and a bit uncomfortable, when trying to facilitate. Love his potential, but I'd like to see him off the ball as much as possible.

Love Mali too, but he's reckless. I think he has the potential to be as good a PG as we've had in a while (which is high praise), but his play style seems conducive to injuries. I want him to stay full-tilt, but I know that comes with increased injury-risk. I worry about serious injuries, as well as getting nicked up and worn down throughout the season.

And Mike looks like a great player going forward, but he's awful thin and unusually sized for a PG. Doesn't mean it can't work out, but I have concerns about his ability to handle a big work load out of the gates.

Throw those things together, and it scares me, especially with all the talent on the rest of the roster. There's no full-proof roster composition, and there's always going to be some risk or areas of weakness. I know I'd feel a lot better if we had a solid dude to rely on for 10-15 mpg, if anything to keep Mali fresh.
I agree that I don't want to see Elvis at the point. Just as I didn't want to see Crosby there. But if he has to be there, and it's only a game or two or three, chances are we can survive that stretch with a 1-2 or 2-1 record. Let's remember that Elvis was 1-1 in the NIT as PG so it's not like he's totally useless there and also got us into OT during the loss. Backups become starters to bridge until starter returns. They aren't there to win you games with lots of minutes.

And again, I feel safer this season with the 3 we have than I ever did with Scoochie-Crosby and Crutcher-Crosby. We lose Scooch or Crutch for any significant time, we are mediocre team. Same if we lost Mali, unless either Mike is a unique sized very good PG or Elvis improves(both not out of the question).

Also, I'd like to add one more opinion. Elvis, while not as good as Mali at PG, did handle it okay in both NIT games. However, what he didn't handle well was his ego. When he tried to match Pippen Jr. shot for shot is when the wheels came off. He needs to learn to keep his ego in check and he can handle the PG when needed.

Last edited by Smitty10; 06-09-2022 at 02:57 PM..
Old 06-09-2022, 03:09 PM
General

I think the depth issue goes beyond just a back up for Mali. Kobe, Koby and Mali are the three proven guards on the roster with Mike coming in as freshman.

If either of Kobe or Koby go down it's 2 guards with a freshman backing up two spots
Old 06-09-2022, 03:27 PM
General

I think the depth issue goes beyond just a back up for Mali. Kobe, Koby and Mali are the three proven guards on the roster with Mike coming in as freshman.

If either of Kobe or Koby go down it's 2 guards with a freshman backing up two spots
What's RJ? He can play the SG just fine, especially on defense. If we need to move things around, we go PG, RJ, Amzil or Washington, Camara and Holmes.

Last edited by Smitty10; 06-09-2022 at 03:30 PM..
Old 06-09-2022, 03:31 PM
General

What's RJ? He can play the SG just fine, especially on defense. If we need to move things around, we go PG, RJ, Amzil or Washington, Camara and Holmes.
defense I agree, secondary ball handler might get dicey
Old 06-09-2022, 03:34 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,001 Times in 493 Posts
Flyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyers98 has a reputation beyond repute
The idea that no one in the portal would accepted a Ryan Bass type role is pure fiction and cope
I mean if you don't care WHO it is, I have 4 years of eligibility remaining. Ryan Bass is from Dayton and he scored 25 points in 8 games and shot 14% from 3 and 31% overall. While I never heard of subtraction by addition before today, I now get the concept.

Last edited by Flyers98; 06-09-2022 at 03:45 PM..
Old 06-09-2022, 03:39 PM
General

defense I agree, secondary ball handler might get dicey
Is Brea a better secondary ball handler than RJ? I sure haven't seen anything that says he is. Heck, I'd even goes as far as saying they both are better at it than Ibi was.
Old 06-09-2022, 03:54 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
I mean if you don't care WHO it is, I have 4 years of eligibility remaining. Ryan Bass is from Dayton and he scored 25 points in 8 games and shot 14% from 3 and 31% overall. While I never heard of subtraction by addition before today, I now get the concept.
At this point I actually do not care who it is. Any point guard with a pulse.

I guess the concern is wasting a ship on a guy vs. banking it for someone you really want next year. With the portal landscape as it is, does that even matter though?
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (06-09-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 12:25 AM
General

Originally Posted by Flyers98 View Post
he had a decent stat line at Oakland. I don't think judging him off his brief, injury plagued time at Dayton is fair
Old 06-10-2022, 08:00 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,429 Times in 754 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Just looked at the remaining names on ESPN’s top portal players list. There are a handful of guys still available, but no one seems to be a good fit. The PG that could work would be a guy from a smaller school (basketball stature wise) who wants to play in the NCAA tournament before he’s done. That guy may not be highly regarded, but he could be an addition by addition type guy. Who knows?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-11-2022, 11:12 AM
Colonel

Don't fall for that stuff. Young adults today are made of the same stuff as those in the past. The conditions are different. I assure you many in the 1980s and 1990s would have liked to transfer, but the mechanisms for doing so were much much more difficult.

Agreed. It could work out well, and the prospect of a full year of healthy Smith is exciting. But the roster imbalance still makes no sense.
Just to be clear, I don't have a value judgement on all the transfers. Young people today have some different ideas than we had when I was that age. That's a good thing. We used confound and confuse our parents too. I don't mind all the transfers, but I do miss watching players grow and develop over their four years. Ultimately, it's their time so they get to decide what is best for them.
As for the coming years roster, I don't have time or the inclination to pour over all the players in the portal, but a number of posters on here do and based on what they are seeing, it looks like the pickings are pretty slim. A latter day Ryan Bass seems unlikely at this point.
Old 06-14-2022, 10:46 AM
Major

TheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to beholdTheDuke2003 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by T-Bone 84 View Post
IIRC, Metzler began as a walkon and (like Wehrli) eventually earned a scholarship, and Waleskowski came here as a Frosh with his family knowing they’d have to pay a year of tuition, but with the promise of a scholarship starting in 2000-01. At least, that’s how I recall both situations.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I was going to say. I'm 99.99% sure that KW came to UD as a grayshirt with assurances he'd be a scholarship player after year one, and it was known then that was the case publicly.
Mad Props to TheDuke2003 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (06-14-2022)
Old 09-06-2022, 02:57 PM
Colonel

Buckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud ofBuckleyma has much to be proud of
Can someone please tell the web site master of Dayton Flyers to run spell check? For instance, Amzil’s bio has spelling errors.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2022, 09:44 AM
Captain

Hobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of lightHobopotamus1 is a glorious beacon of light
What I am not seeing in this discussion, and I apologize if I missed it, but I think we are missing the point. If we recruited a PG that had more than one year of eligibility, he would probably get less and less PT as time went on. We really need a goof PG next year for insurance, but after that, both MM and MS are going to get better and better and will be getting more and more minutes after next year. I think our only option is someone who would transfer to one year. Not many guys would want to come in for one year and play eight minutes a game unless MS or MM got hurt. I agree w/ the "any PG with a pulse" idea, even a really great walk-on. But... was there an assurance to MM that he would get quality minutes at the 1 as a frosh?
Old 09-18-2022, 02:02 PM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Here we go again with the initials. Maybe I am having a senior moment, but who is MM?

Edit: It just occurred to me that you are probably referring to "Mongolian" Mike, even though his initials are actually MS.

Last edited by longtimefan; 09-18-2022 at 02:10 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (09-18-2022), UDGutter2 (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 03:23 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,748 Times in 790 Posts
Marysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeMarysville Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Here we go again with the initials. Maybe I am having a senior moment, but who is MM?

Edit: It just occurred to me that you are probably referring to "Mongolian" Mike, even though his initials are actually MS.
Of course I've been railed for this too so my opinion doesn't matter. I'm not sure how unreasonable it is for people on a fan msg board to know the initials of a team that is top 25 pre-season with only 2 new players coming in. I guess that's just my sr. (oops senior), get off my lawn opinion.

AG or CAG is never called out. Neither is UD or initials or abbreviations of our opponents in or out of conference. Oh, and CJ was acceptable as was #1, #2, CW, LW, SS, CC,RJ,KW, KD, DP, BR or BRob, Big Mike, and countless others.

Seems like this is a very recent complaint for some reason.

The problem I have with this silliness is people use initials on here all the time that have ZERO relevance to UD without any complaints. LMAO, IMHO, ROFL, ICYMI, LOL go unchallenged as they should as they are acceptable and expected on social media.

How much more acceptable and expected should it be for people on a UD msg board to use and know the initials of UD's 13 players each year?

Maybe those with issues with this should publish a list of which initials are ok and which are not to help the rest of us.

Blast away - just type slowly because I don't read as fast anymore in my old age.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Marysville Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (09-18-2022), m21eagle45 (09-18-2022)
Old 09-18-2022, 09:45 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Gotta admit, I could not think of a player with MM initials. Guess creativity had to be employed when both players being discussed have the same initials. But, nope, never caught on.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (09-18-2022), springborofan (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 01:10 AM
General

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
Gotta admit, I could not think of a player with MM initials. Guess creativity had to be employed when both players being discussed have the same initials. But, nope, never caught on.
It got a little confusing the season we had Josh Cunningham, John Crosby, Steve McElvene and Sam Miller(all were first year Flyers which made it worse). Other than that, it only seems to be a problem early in the season when the names aren't embedded in our brains yet.
Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 01:36 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

CraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond reputeCraSch has a reputation beyond repute
I never spoke up about it, but the initials drive me nuts and have for well over a decade. Probably because I don't use them in real life, so they don't register with me when reading. I don't sit at games going "Woohoo!! What an awesome dunk by DH!! And what a feed from MS!" No, I'm going "Woohoo! What a dunk by DaRon! And what a feed from Malachi!" But I never complained because I understand it....it saves time when typing. Slows down my reading because I have to pause and think about since I don't use them, but that's just me. And since I understand why initials are used, I decided it's my personal issue to deal with. So keep using them on here. My only comment is I agree that MM was confusing at first, as it is not real initials, but I'm already used to it.

My real complaint is not with initials, it's with not learning players names properly. There are still people on here thst write Jordan Seibert. I even remember way back someone writing "Seeeeebert for threeeeee" in attempting to rhyme. Problem is it's Sibert, as in Sigh-bert. Getting names wrong I find disrespectful. And that is not the only name screwed up a lot, just the one that annoys me the most. Initials, on the other hand, I don't find disrespectful, there just convenient for the typer. I deal with myself going "who's initials are those??", I figure it out and move on. So initials, annoying to me personally but fine, my problem to deal with. Getting the actual names wrong....just please have more respect and pay attention.

Sorry. Stepping off my soap box and going back to my corner to read a ton but not post often.

Last edited by CraSch; 09-19-2022 at 01:39 AM..
7 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CraSch For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (09-19-2022), flyerfanatic86 (09-20-2022), jack72 (09-19-2022), Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-19-2022), Marysville Flyer (09-19-2022), MikeFlyer (09-19-2022), TommyGola (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 11:14 AM
General

Thanked 5,432 Times in 2,372 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Marysville Flyer View Post
Of course I've been railed for this too so my opinion doesn't matter. I'm not sure how unreasonable it is for people on a fan msg board to know the initials of a team that is top 25 pre-season with only 2 new players coming in. I guess that's just my sr. (oops senior), get off my lawn opinion.

AG or CAG is never called out. Neither is UD or initials or abbreviations of our opponents in or out of conference. Oh, and CJ was acceptable as was #1, #2, CW, LW, SS, CC,RJ,KW, KD, DP, BR or BRob, Big Mike, and countless others.

Seems like this is a very recent complaint for some reason.

The problem I have with this silliness is people use initials on here all the time that have ZERO relevance to UD without any complaints. LMAO, IMHO, ROFL, ICYMI, LOL go unchallenged as they should as they are acceptable and expected on social media.

How much more acceptable and expected should it be for people on a UD msg board to use and know the initials of UD's 13 players each year?

Maybe those with issues with this should publish a list of which initials are ok and which are not to help the rest of us.

Blast away - just type slowly because I don't read as fast anymore in my old age.
CAG has been here for ~5 years, UD has been here for >100, and "LMAO, IMHO, ROFL, ICYMI, LOL" similarly don't change. 10 years from now when we have a whole new roster, LOL will still mean the same thing.

I don't think it is unreasonable to know the players' names. It's a bit much to memorize for 13 players:
1. Name
2. Nickname
3. Number
4. Name initials
5. Nickname initials

Or, as a handy shorthand, "N/N/N/Ni/Ni". (Which should be obvious to everyone.) That's only 65 things to remember in order to enjoy your favorite team, do you want it or not!!

Maybe try not to be such a sensitive MF (that's Marysville Flyer).
Old 09-19-2022, 12:32 PM
1st Lieutenant

bp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to behold
Based on comments above, some fans don't recognize player initials (myself included). No amount of shaming will change that fact. There are folks here of all ages and fan levels. There are 80 year olds that can't remember to take their meds, let alone remember the initials of the entire roster each year. You can decide if you want to make your post clear to everyone, or just a subset of folks.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to bp For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (09-19-2022), jack72 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 01:04 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up What is wrong with just "Mike"

Until we feature another Mike, I don't see the issue with the short name Mike lately?
Or ever for that matter.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (09-22-2022), FLYER5 (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 01:51 PM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Initials, abbreviations, no punctuation, nicknames, calling names and slang grammar have become accepted by a certain group of computer users. It is their right with free speech, but they also must understand they are not communicating full thoughts to all readers.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-24-2022), Glen Clark (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 07:12 PM
General

Originally Posted by bp View Post
Based on comments above, some fans don't recognize player initials (myself included). No amount of shaming will change that fact. There are folks here of all ages and fan levels. There are 80 year olds that can't remember to take their meds, let alone remember the initials of the entire roster each year. You can decide if you want to make your post clear to everyone, or just a subset of folks.
I'm going to guess it's even harder for an 80 year old to remember how to spell "Nwokeji", "Amaefule" and "Sharavjamts". Lord knows it's difficult for this 60 plus year old.

When I have a post that uses names like those(and there's been many over the years, I still have to google the correct way to spell "Kavanaugh" and "Antetokounmpo" after all these years). And I'm not going to spend a season googling in the middle of my posts. I spend too much time on here already(no need to agree, I know the one's who agree with that statement) and getting full names correctly would double it.

While I know how to spell Kobe and Koby, I still have a hard time remembering which is which.

Last edited by Smitty10; 09-19-2022 at 07:15 PM..
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Smitty10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bp (09-19-2022), Cardsflyer (09-21-2022), ClaytonFlyerFan (09-22-2022), jack72 (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 03:47 AM
Captain

Justin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant futureJustin has a brilliant future
How about a video from the staff with each of the new(er) players telling us Flyer Faithful what they prefer to be called? I mean we have a staff of photags and videographers. And these are young student athletes, we want them to feel welcomed and respected.
Mad Props to Justin For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-24-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 04:07 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
How about calling all of them the same name - 2023 NCAA Tournament Champions?
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-24-2022), flyerfanatic86 (09-23-2022), UDGutter2 (09-22-2022), wes (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 08:17 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Until we feature another Mike, I don't see the issue with the short name Mike lately?
Or ever for that matter.
Maybe my memory sucks, but I do not recall seeing anyone ever mention OT in the threads, he was simply known as Obi. Short names work much better than initials for many.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-24-2022), San Diego Flyer (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 11:40 AM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
Maybe my memory sucks, but I do not recall seeing anyone ever mention OT in the threads, he was simply known as Obi. Short names work much better than initials for many.
Obi should never be thought of as Off Topic. Oh, wait, that's not what you meant....
Old 09-22-2022, 12:25 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
I remember having 5 OTs in one game against Providence.
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-24-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 04:07 PM
Just off the Jet

Bonziflyer is just really niceBonziflyer is just really niceBonziflyer is just really niceBonziflyer is just really nice
What a Great GAME!!! The Arena was ROCKIN'

Last edited by Bonziflyer; 09-22-2022 at 05:12 PM..
Mad Props to Bonziflyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
UDGutter2 (09-22-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 08:44 AM
Major

UDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant futureUDTradition has a brilliant future
Maybe you should consider my approach...it's simple

When someone starts using initials beyond my capabilities, I stop reading and pass to the next message.
Old 09-23-2022, 10:52 AM
Brigadier General

DGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond reputeDGO67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDTradition View Post
Maybe you should consider my approach...it's simple

When someone starts using initials beyond my capabilities, I stop reading and pass to the next message.
IMO use of initials has its place. OTO and FWIW it does put a burden on many
to either learn nicknames or be left out in the cold wondering who did what to whom.
BTW, shortening a name isn't always the cool thing to do! eg Geaux Tigers!
Old 09-23-2022, 12:36 PM
Colonel

tirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond reputetirebiter has a reputation beyond repute
Now I had to look up what "OTO" means. Google says, "Of the ears." (?)

I do get FWIW - "Somethin's happening here. What it is ain't exactly clear..."
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to tirebiter For This Totally Excellent Post:
Lifelong Flyer Fan (09-23-2022), UDTradition (09-24-2022)
Old 09-23-2022, 05:46 PM
Major

momszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud ofmomszer has much to be proud of
OTO

OTO in texting is One Time Only. In Business, it's Overcoming The Odds. Per google. I've never seen OTO before.
Old 09-23-2022, 07:58 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,993 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
In this context, I think “OTO” was supposed to be “OTOH”, which stands for “on the other hand”. LOL 😂
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to T-Bone 84 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (09-26-2022)