Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Major

Fan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to all
Two questions.

1. Is the Big East the new conference or is it the America 12?
2. If the Big East is the new conference, is it possible for the old conference to collect tournament credits for deeds if none of the members of the 'original' conference. I wonder because if in 2 years there are no teams left would the America 12 collect the credits? Also, what happens to tournament credits if a conference dissolves?
Advertisement
Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Fan4allUDSports View Post
Two questions.

1. Is the Big East the new conference or is it the America 12?
2. If the Big East is the new conference, is it possible for the old conference to collect tournament credits for deeds if none of the members of the 'original' conference. I wonder because if in 2 years there are no teams left would the America 12 collect the credits? Also, what happens to tournament credits if a conference dissolves?
In a way, they're both the new conference. The Big East is keeping the tournament credits, yet they're paying through the nose on exit fees and walking away from the exit fees that Pitt, Syracuse and West Virginia owe the league.

If a conference dissolves, the NCAA absorbes the remaining fees. I guess they worked out the technicalities so the Big East is still the Big East and the America Twelve is a new league as far as the NCAA is concerned, but that the America East is the old league as far as the exit fees are concerned.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:23 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,773 Times in 936 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Nobody?

monˇey noun
1. any circulating medium of exchange, including coins, paper money, and demand deposits.
2. paper money
3. gold, silver, or other metal in pieces of convenient form stamped by public authority and issued as a medium of exchange and measure of value.
4. any article or substance used as a medium of exchange, measure of wealth, or means of payment, as checks on demand deposit or cowrie.
5. a particular form or denomination of currency.

What would "real money" be then? You prefer bartering one nearly useless item (gold) over a different nearly useless item (paper/linen)?
There is such a thing as paper money. The dollar is not paper "money," it is paper "currency." You are correct that gold is money and can also be currency.

If you think there is no difference between paper and gold, I have lots of paper and I would love to trade with you
Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 01:30 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,178 Times in 4,206 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I'm wondering what are the chances of Gonzaga joining the c7 for basketball only?

Gonzaga would be the one doing almost all of the travelling. The other teams would only have to travel to Spokane at most once per year, and that would not be much of a hardship. If Gonzaga was fine with doing all that travelling, maybe that could happen.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:44 PM

Thanked 6,634 Times in 3,033 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I'm wondering what are the chances of Gonzaga joining the c7 for basketball only?

Gonzaga would be the one doing almost all of the traveling. The other teams would only have to travel to Spokane at most once per year, and that would not be much of a hardship. If Gonzaga was fine with doing all that traveling, maybe that could happen.
You're bringing this up now at this late date??? You really know how to put a downer on things. Besides, I believe it has already been discussed.
Old 03-12-2013, 01:53 PM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
In a way, they're both the new conference. The Big East is keeping the tournament credits, yet they're paying through the nose on exit fees and walking away from the exit fees that Pitt, Syracuse and West Virginia owe the league.
I thought the c7 didn't pay any exit fees?

Perhaps one of the reasons why the c7 gave in to Cincinnati, Connecticut, and South Florida on their share of the exit fee money was because the c7 themselves did not have to pay any exit fees?

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
You're bringing this up now at this late date??? You really know how to put a downer on things. Besides, I believe it has already been discussed.
Sorry, I don't remember this particular angle being discussed.

Unfortunately, Gonzaga to the c7 for basketball only seems like a somewhat realistic scenario to me, especially now that there isn't really any penalty for going to 12 teams. The posters on the Marquette board really want Gonzaga.

If Gonzaga is in play, that is bad news for UD.

Man, if UD gets in this league, this $600 million deal could mean around $4 million/year for UD, that would be a huge increase for UD.

Edit: and BTW, this link says that Creighton's exit fee is $50k, which will obviously not be a problem for them. $50k? Almost seems silly, like why would you set the exit fee at $50k? Why bother with even having an exit fee then?

http://holylandofhoops.com/viewtopic...2&p=2694#p2700

Last edited by ud2; 03-12-2013 at 02:00 PM..
Old 03-12-2013, 02:10 PM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
From my "insider" sources the announcement of who is in the new league won't be made until after the A-10 tournament is over. I have no idea if UD is in or out.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:19 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by The Gem View Post
From my "insider" sources the announcement of who is in the new league won't be made until after the A-10 tournament is over. I have no idea if UD is in or out.
Is that when it is over for UD, or when the entire A-10 tournament is over? Ouch, did I just say that?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:31 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by The Gem View Post
you didnt ask...or they didnt know?
Old 03-12-2013, 02:40 PM

Thanked 4,603 Times in 2,849 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Exec assts know what they "need" to know....

Originally Posted by oRed View Post
the other thing the best exec asst know...what they know isn't to be divulged.
At the present stage of negotiations between the C7 and candidate schools, I see no reason why any exec assts need to know anything. Again, at the current stage I see no reason why any/all communication between C7 officials and schools could not be verbal alone.

All a school like UD needs to know is if they will be issued an invitation or not. Such info could be transmitted to Curran or Wabler verbally. Where is the need for any "assistance", executive or otherwise?

After an announcement is made is when work involving others comes into play. In my opinion, nothing else is required at this stage.

I still believe that only 1-3 people at UD know our U's situation.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:41 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
The question with Gonzaga isn't if they would take them for basketball only, but who would take them for non-revenue sports only? Would they have to pay the other league to participate in the non-rev sports?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-12-2013), ClevelandFlyer05 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Brigadier General

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
I think it would be a very bad sign for UD if the whole Gonzaga/St. Mary's idea is still under consideration at this point. Unless of course they already expect to add more than 12.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post
College sports today bears little resemblance to sports of that era....probably, almost none.

In those days the notion that Nebraska and A&M would leave the Big 12 (or was it the SWC) for the Big Ten and SEC, respectively, was unthinkable....as was Maryland and Rutgers joining the Big Ten,....or Colorado in the PAC8/10/12....as well as the complete reshuffling of conference alignments that has occurred...all driven by FB money.....amounts or money that would have been unimaginable at the time.

Money has changed everything about college sports.

The reason why the "Great Midwest situation" was not of comparable significance to the C7+ situation is because the former hardly mattered.

Dayton going from being an independent...to joining the MCC,...to joining the GMW....was hardly a major newsworthy story even in Dayton. Today, it can be argued that if we are not included in the C7+ conference UD athletics will suffer a setback from which it will not recover. We will be permanently relegated to some form of low-mid-major status that will make recruiting suffer, will financially disadvantage us, etc.

Please understand, I am not making these arguments. I am just repeating them as a means of illustrating the difference between the C7+ situation and UD's jump to the GMW.

Money....money...money is what's different
I agree and disagree.

I agree that the money involved today seems to be much greater, but I also disagree because getting into the GMW represented increased prestige and exposure(short-lived), led to better recruiting(again short-lived), and would have given UD access to a better tv deal later on when more games started to be covered on cable tv.

Getting into the GMW was absolutely a newsworthy item/a big deal at the time.

Any time you change leagues it is a very big deal. Had UD been left out of the A10, for example, that would have been a huge blow to UD.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:14 PM

UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
May have reinforced my point...

I agree and disagree.

I agree that the money involved today seems to be much greater, but I also disagree because getting into the GMW represented increased prestige and exposure(short-lived), led to better recruiting(again short-lived), and would have given UD access to a better tv deal later on when more games started to be covered on cable tv.

Getting into the GMW was absolutely a newsworthy item/a big deal at the time.

Any time you change leagues it is a very big deal. Had UD been left out of the A10, for example, that would have been a huge blow to UD.
ud, the points you raised re UD and the GMW were of local interest only. The new Big East/C7 has been a boiling national media topic for many weeks.

As for specifics of the GMW conference birth....at the time UD did not have a Div I sports program.....we didn't have a credible Div III program. Yet, that was not an obstacle to admission at the time...in that era.

The pathetic condition of UD sports at the time would not get us into any Div I conference today.

What is different now is, in a word, everything.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 03:52 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
There is such a thing as paper money. The dollar is not paper "money," it is paper "currency." You are correct that gold is money and can also be currency.

If you think there is no difference between paper and gold, I have lots of paper and I would love to trade with you
I'm in. I'll trade you an unlimited number of piles of US $2,000 paper per ounce of gold. Where shall we meet to begin doing business?

Try to eat that gold when you're starving to death. Moon rocks are also rare. And also have very limited practical use.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
I'm in. I'll trade you an unlimited number of piles of US $2,000 paper per ounce of gold. Where shall we meet to begin doing business?

Try to eat that gold when you're starving to death. Moon rocks are also rare. And also have very limited practical use.
Why would I eat the gold? I figure in that situation I would trade it for food and then eat the food. Gold has been used as money successfully for thousands of years without fail. On the contrary, every single fiat currency in the history of man has failed (i.e. returned to $0).

I can't tell if you are joking or not when you say that gold has "no practical use." Unless you are suggesting that the myriad of consumer products containing gold are all impractical? You should probably throw your cell phone away!

At any rate I reject your offer, as $2,000 is about $500 above the current price of gold.
Old 03-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Could you two get a room? Sheez.
Mad Props to FlyerinChicago For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 04:54 PM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute

Gonzaga would be the one doing almost all of the travelling. The other teams would only have to travel to Spokane at most once per year, and that would not be much of a hardship. If Gonzaga was fine with doing all that travelling, maybe that could happen.
About zero. Logistically, who wants to make a mid week trip to the middle of no where washington, 3 time zones away on a Wednesday? How many games would Gonaga drop that they'd otherwise win b/c they're traveling 2 or 3 time zones away for all conference games.

If we ever live in a vaccum, Gonzaga makes a ton of sense. Until engineers figure that Gonzaga is only talked about on interenet message boards.
Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerGuyer (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:01 PM
Major General

xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Here is something that makes zero sense to me....

The Mountain West will have 11 full members, and Hawaii will be an affiliate member for football.

Hmmmm. Who would a logical choice be to get to a twelve team format in all sports?? Since Hawaii is already an affiliate member for football, they could look in to adding a school without a football team.

Who would a good choice be??

Now, what makes no sense at all is why they're not doing it. Gonzaga has been very candid about wanting into a more competitive basketball conference. It seems as obvious as anything could possibly be.
Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:21 PM

Say what?

Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
Here is something that makes zero sense to me....

The Mountain West will have 11 full members, and Hawaii will be an affiliate member for football.

Hmmmm. Who would a logical choice be to get to a twelve team format in all sports?? Since Hawaii is already an affiliate member for football, they could look in to adding a school without a football team.

Who would a good choice be??

Now, what makes no sense at all is why they're not doing it. Gonzaga has been very candid about wanting into a more competitive basketball conference. It seems as obvious as anything could possibly be.
Why would Gonzaga, the #1 ranked team in the country, a nationally recognized power, a NCAA regular,....a school with BB success that we can't even dream of,....want for a second to do anything differently?....to make any changes in their situation?

That seems as obvious to me as anything could possibly be.
Old 03-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
Why would Gonzaga, the #1 ranked team in the country, a nationally recognized power, a NCAA regular,....a school with BB success that we can't even dream of,....want for a second to do anything differently?....to make any changes in their situation?

Same reason Butler did last year?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (03-12-2013), longtimefan (03-12-2013), UACFlyer (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 05:24 PM
Major General

Are you being serious??

Well, for starters they're probably not too keen on playing Pacific twice a year every year instead of a stronger OOC opponent. That was kind of rammed down their throats. They had to cancel the series with Memphis, and will probably need to drop another one now. So, it's not as if all has remained the same.

Secondly, it's stronger competition, which they've said they wanted. It's the same reason Butler looked to leave the Horizon League even though they were already spending most of their time in the rankings and had been the national runner up in back to back years.

Thirdly, the deal the Mountain West just signed with ESPN is ever so slightly better than the one the WCC has. Gonzaga would enhance it even more.

Last edited by xubrew; 03-12-2013 at 05:26 PM..
Old 03-12-2013, 05:35 PM
General

Thanked 5,460 Times in 2,387 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Why would I eat the gold? I figure in that situation I would trade it for food and then eat the food. Gold has been used as money successfully for thousands of years without fail. On the contrary, every single fiat currency in the history of man has failed (i.e. returned to $0).

I can't tell if you are joking or not when you say that gold has "no practical use." Unless you are suggesting that the myriad of consumer products containing gold are all impractical? You should probably throw your cell phone away!

At any rate I reject your offer, as $2,000 is about $500 above the current price of gold.
I didn't say "no practical use" I said "limited practical use". Only a fraction is used for practical purposes (11% industrial consumption).

"Gold has been used as money successfully for thousands of years without fail." Why does it have value? No one ever answers that--the response is always "because it always has." Not a logical response.

PM me.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:00 PM
Colonel

ClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant futureClevelandFlyer05 has a brilliant future
College sports today bears little resemblance to sports of that era....probably, almost none.

In those days the notion that Nebraska and A&M would leave the Big 12 (or was it the SWC) for the Big Ten and SEC, respectively, was unthinkable....as was Maryland and Rutgers joining the Big Ten,....or Colorado in the PAC8/10/12....as well as the complete reshuffling of conference alignments that has occurred...all driven by FB money.....amounts or money that would have been unimaginable at the time.

Money has changed everything about college sports.

The reason why the "Great Midwest situation" was not of comparable significance to the C7+ situation is because the former hardly mattered.

Dayton going from being an independent...to joining the MCC,...to joining the GMW....was hardly a major newsworthy story even in Dayton. Today, it can be argued that if we are not included in the C7+ conference UD athletics will suffer a setback from which it will not recover. We will be permanently relegated to some form of low-mid-major status that will make recruiting suffer, will financially disadvantage us, etc.

Please understand, I am not making these arguments. I am just repeating them as a means of illustrating the difference between the C7+ situation and UD's jump to the GMW.

Money....money...money is what's different
Arkansas left the SWC for the SEC at some point during that era. I can't remember why, though.

Also Nebraska was never in the SWC...they were in the Big 8 along with the Kansas schools, Oklahoma schools, Colorado, Missouri, and Iowa State. I'm not sure if they ever would have left that group for the Big Ten. Probably not, at least not back then.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Captain

UD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really niceUD_NY is just really nice

Said the lazy squirrel in the middle of summer. No reason to try and stock pile, look at everything I got now!
Mad Props to UD_NY For This Totally Excellent Post:
springborofan (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 09:18 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Field of 64 is a glorious beacon of lightField of 64 is a glorious beacon of lightField of 64 is a glorious beacon of lightField of 64 is a glorious beacon of lightField of 64 is a glorious beacon of lightField of 64 is a glorious beacon of light
1) Today's Star-Ledger article describing the official formal split today, with UD and SLU (again) mentioned as the likely 11/12th teams:

http://www.nj.com/college-basketball...c_7_split.html

2) Today's open letter from the Villanova President announcing the formal split, and among other things, stating that details regarding "additional members of the new conference will be announced in the near future".

http://www.vuhoops.com/catholic-7-ne...lic-7-big-east

I have no connections or inside information, whatsoever. That being said, if I was in charge of either the conference or Fox Sports 1, I would absolutely bring together the Presidents/AD's of the 12 schools (hopefully including UD!) and announce the new members (staging them however they want for 2013 and 2014) at some point during the Big East tournament. Do it while all the Presidents/AD's are in New York for the Big East and A10 tournaments (with Creighton flying in since they're off this week), and do it when interest is highest (during the final "old" Big East tournament and with interest still running high from all the recent news).
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Field of 64 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-12-2013), FLYER5 (03-13-2013), FrisbeeFlyer (03-13-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 10:52 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
From the Chicago paper.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colle...efections.html
Old 03-12-2013, 11:10 PM

longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
From the Chicago paper.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/colle...efections.html
Another mention of Creighton, St Louis, and Dayton, although they say St Louis is in the MVC.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by Field of 64 View Post
I have no connections or inside information, whatsoever. That being said, if I was in charge of either the conference or Fox Sports 1, I would absolutely bring together the Presidents/AD's of the 12 schools (hopefully including UD!) and announce the new members (staging them however they want for 2013 and 2014) at some point during the Big East tournament. Do it while all the Presidents/AD's are in New York for the Big East and A10 tournaments (with Creighton flying in since they're off this week), and do it when interest is highest (during the final "old" Big East tournament and with interest still running high from all the recent news).
That would be the perfect time to make the announcement. Then every time the brackets are discussed on Selection Sunday and throughout the Tournament the subject would most likely come up when any of those teams are discussed. Great publicity.
Old 03-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Lieutenant General

bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Another mention of Creighton, St Louis, and Dayton, although they say St Louis is in the MVC.
Yes, a rare slip up by Toni Ginnetti. Usually she doesn't make mistakes like that.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Field of 64 View Post
I have no connections or inside information, whatsoever. That being said, if I was in charge of either the conference or Fox Sports 1, I would absolutely bring together the Presidents/AD's of the 12 schools (hopefully including UD!) and announce the new members (staging them however they want for 2013 and 2014) at some point during the Big East tournament.
Basically the presidents and ADs are who's in charge of running the conference. I don't think they have agreed on exactly what they want to do yet. If they had, they'd be doing it.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:31 AM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Brett McMurphy from ESPN responding on twitter saying Dayton and St. Louis are solid as 11 and 12. See exchange below.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
It's an oldie but … if it's white smoke Catholic 7 adding Butler, Xavier & Creighton; if gray smoke it's pulled pork
Expand
14 hrs Christian Gerard ‏@banditFFX
@McMurphyESPN Are Dayton and St.Louis solid as 11 & 12? That would mean Xavier ends up in East? Or could they go to 14 with VCU/Richmond/BU
Expand
14 hrs Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
@banditFFX Yes. And doubtful they would go past 12
Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More
Old 03-13-2013, 12:33 AM

Thanked 2,862 Times in 1,139 Posts
ruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond reputeruechalgrin has a reputation beyond repute
Another exchange that is a little more murkey.

Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
It's an oldie but … if it's white smoke Catholic 7 adding Butler, Xavier & Creighton; if gray smoke it's pulled pork
Expand
14 hrs K_Boy ‏@K_Boy
@McMurphyESPN Any news on Dayton and SLU for 12? Chance of that happening?
Expand
14 hrs Brett McMurphy ‏@McMurphyESPN
@K_Boy Most likely not until 2014
Hide conversation Reply Retweet Favorite More
7:41 AM - Mar 12, 2013 ˇ Details
Old 03-13-2013, 07:23 AM
Colonel

The Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant futureThe Gem has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic08 View Post
you didnt ask...or they didnt know?

They don't know. Pretty reliable about the announcement though.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:30 AM
General

Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
posted w/o comment:

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/colle...cf0a0rZSxkf8IM
13 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (03-13-2013), bobber (03-13-2013), CJ2etc (03-13-2013), Flyer Al (03-13-2013), FLYER5 (03-13-2013), rollo (03-13-2013), ruechalgrin (03-13-2013), superfan99 (03-13-2013), ud2 (03-13-2013), UDGutter2 (03-13-2013), udstevied_D87 (03-13-2013), Viperstick (03-13-2013), westchesterflyer (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:38 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Flyer11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Holy crap (if true)!

Flyer11
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer11 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Al (03-13-2013), ud2 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:40 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,433 Times in 682 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
posted w/o comment:

I could get behind this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer Al (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,459 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
i think what shocks me the most is that it's definitive. nothing about rumors. nothing about a reliable source. it's just "here's the deal." gives me hope.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:45 AM

Agree...

Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
i think what shocks me the most is that it's definitive. nothing about rumors. nothing about a reliable source. it's just "here's the deal." gives me hope.
Not "a source reports", or a blog,....just reported as factual.

Fercryinoutloud,.....C7 make the announcement already!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Colonel

zmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to beholdzmz723 is a splendid one to behold
Not sure why Creighton would wait when the MVC supposedly has no exit fees. Not buying it.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 AM
General

From a "what makes sense" point of view, I always found Creighton a little bit courios as the 10 member for a season, if the plan was always to get to 12 in 2 seasons. Sure they're strong in basketball, but they were already the outlier in terms of geography, even more so if they're one of 10, that was going to make travel for non revenue sports even more of a pain in the but for 1 season.
UACFlyer (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:48 AM
Brigadier General

flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by zmz723 View Post
Not sure why Creighton would wait when the MVC supposedly has no exit fees. Not buying it.
It would make sense geographically for Creighton and SLU to join at the same time.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-13-2013), UACFlyer (03-13-2013), Viperstick (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,702 Times in 1,285 Posts
Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
My reaction is the author got his wires crossed between Creighton and Dayton regarding who joins next year and who joins 14-15. But I hope not!
Old 03-13-2013, 09:49 AM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of
Wow - if so - I take everything back I have said about Wabler and UD on Twitter! WOW! UD Earl
Old 03-13-2013, 09:50 AM
General

Exit fees, no matter if its the 2 mil to get out of the A-10 or $50k to get out of the MVC should matter considering the reported $4mil+ per team in TV revenue. I'm not sure what the MVC makes on TV, but the increase in TV money for 1 season well offsets the A-10 exit fee.

If Creighton (or anyone for that matter) is waiting, even for 1 season, its not because it is their choice, but rather the choice of the C7.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Brigadier General

AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
maybe they want to bring the two westernmost schools in at the same time? sort of as geographical partners? or maybe i have no clue?
Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:56 AM
Colonel

I question the veracity of UD joins X and Butler. It is an unattributed statement not even mentioning and unnamed source. It wouldn't surprise me that he got Creighton and Dayton confused. Since most of the article focuses on the Big East football school shake out, the reporter may well just have made a factual error due to laziness. I hope it's true though.

I emailed the reporter the following:

We here in Flyer Nation have been sweating this out for weeks. All the information we hear is that X, Butler ,and Creighton join next year and SLU and either Dayton or Richmond or Gonzaga join the following year. Can you provide any further insight as you are reporting Dayton is in as a matter of fact and haven't attributed it to even an unnamed source. I hope you are right. Thanks.

I will post any replies I get.

Last edited by The Gem; 03-13-2013 at 10:04 AM..
Mad Props to The Gem For This Totally Excellent Post:
westchesterflyer (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:57 AM
Brigadier General

For what it's worth, Pete Thamel did tweet this 4 days ago

@SIPeteThamel: Perhaps the biggest remaining question for Catholic 7 is 9 or 10 teams next year. As of now, not decided. Creighton/Dayton on edge.

Not sure if that was posted here previously, but this isn't the first time UD was rumored to join next season.
Posted via Mobile Device
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-13-2013), TA111 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:01 AM
1st Lieutenant

UD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud ofUD_Earl has much to be proud of
Geographically it makes complete sense. SLU and Creighton are pretty far west.
Mad Props to UD_Earl For This Totally Excellent Post:
UACFlyer (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:03 AM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
It would make sense geographically for Creighton and SLU to join at the same time.
IMHO, it would make geographic sense to exclude Creighton.

For perspective and with rivalries in mind....

St. Louis to Creighton = 435 miles....
Dayton to Georgetown is only an extra 36 miles or 471 total.
Dayton to Marquette is 50 miles shorter than St. Louis to Creighton...385 miles...I've done the Marquette drive....it's long...and painful!
But a better comparison would be Dayton to Madison, WI which is only 8 miles further than St. Louis to Creighton...443 miles. Anyone here feel like roadtripping to Madison? Me, neither.

Creighton's closest rival isn't even within reasonable driving distance of them...which kinda makes them non-rivals.

Are there no quality teams east of Dayton that would be a better fit geographically and financially than Creighton???

Last edited by rollo; 03-13-2013 at 10:43 AM..
Old 03-13-2013, 10:12 AM

Announcement timing...

It makes sense to me for the C7 to make its announcement after the Big East and A10 tournaments...perhaps even after the NCAAs end.

I think that the C7 group doesn't want to do/say anything that interferes with or upsets/upstages in any way other conference's events/affairs, most notably, the A10.

The C7 decision will have a major impact on the A10 as is. Seems to me the "priests" will make every effort to avoid causing additional A10 angst.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:15 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Let's all remember this is the New York Post talking here, too. I guess they're a paper and all, but they are a couple of alien stories away from being the National Enquirer. I wouldn't trust them as a source if they are the only source.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to priceg75 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (03-13-2013), Hyde Park Flyer (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:18 AM
Just off the Jet

dcflyer will become famous soon enough
Although Lenn Robbins, the article's author, is certainly a well-known sports journalist.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Major General

Radar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond reputeRadar has a reputation beyond repute
Red face

He meant to report that a new pope has been elected?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 AM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Pope Fitz I ?
Old 03-13-2013, 10:35 AM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
Maybe the UD / Xavier rivalry is so legendary they don't want it separated even for a year
Mad Props to Flyer69ers For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:41 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
Let's all remember this is the New York Post talking here, too. I guess they're a paper and all, but they are a couple of alien stories away from being the National Enquirer. I wouldn't trust them as a source if they are the only source.
Actually, for the front half of the paper you're not far off the mark, but the sports section has always been a good one.
Mad Props to AC91 For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by Flyer69ers View Post
Maybe the UD / Xavier rivalry is so legendary they don't want it separated even for a year

That did occur to me.

If this story is true, then it looks like the Dayton/Xavier rivalry will continue as a home and home next year.

The exit fees make me question the veracity of this story. It is going to cost $6 million to get Butler, Dayton, and Xavier in the c7 league next year.

zmz723 pointed out that Creighton's exit fee is very small, if not entirely nonexistent, compared to the A10 exit fee.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:47 AM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Take a guess who owns the NY Post? Rupert Murdoch.

Who owns Fox? Rupert Murdoch.

Normally I would agree with you, the Post isn't worth the paper it's printed on, but in this case they proabbaly have gotten the scoop first.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (03-13-2013), bobber (03-13-2013), ruechalgrin (03-13-2013), TheDuke2003 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:51 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,221 Times in 549 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute

That did occur to me.

If this story is true, then it looks like the Dayton/Xavier rivalry will continue as a home and home next year.

The exit fees make me question the veracity of this story. It is going to cost $6 million to get Butler, Dayton, and Xavier in the c7 league next year.

zmz723 pointed out that Creighton's exit fee is very small, if not entirely nonexistent, compared to the A10 exit fee.
But Dayton could volunteer to cover the 2 million themselves, when you figure the extra TV money, plus the extra fans this conference would put in seats, and extra concessions because season ticket holders and students would actually use their seats.
Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:54 AM
Captain

sopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud of
Dissing the Post

I'll take the Post over the Times any day of the week.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sopaw10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (03-13-2013), Gem City (03-13-2013), TheDuke2003 (03-13-2013), udstevied_D87 (03-13-2013), UD_Earl (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:00 AM
Major General

priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post

You're right, I didn't consider that connection.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:17 AM

Media connection?

Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post

Normally I would agree with you, the Post isn't worth the paper it's printed on, but in this case they proabbaly have gotten the scoop first.
Does any Prider have sufficient media creds to call the Post writer to ensure that the names "Dayton" and "Creighton" were not inadvertently swicthed.....without insulting the guy?

Mistakes like that occurred in past reporting of this matter.

Just asking.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:28 AM
Captain

31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough31770 is a jewel in the rough
Funny, NBC sports is reporting the Robbins story

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...xavier-dayton/
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Academy Doolie

djmark54 has a spectacular aura aboutdjmark54 has a spectacular aura about
IS this true

http://m.nypost.com/p/sports/college...cf0a0rZSxkf8IM
Old 03-13-2013, 11:31 AM
Colonel

udscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these partsudscott is infamous around these parts
NY post reporting UD to BIg East in 2013 !!!!

Old 03-13-2013, 11:37 AM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
@ESPNAndyKatz: Departing new Big East presidents briefing ADs today in NYC about exit terms, expansion, commish & other plans

its getting real...
Old 03-13-2013, 11:48 AM

It makes sense to me for the C7 to make its announcement after the Big East and A10 tournaments...perhaps even after the NCAAs end.
I don't think it would make much sense to make the announcement AFTER the NCAA Tournament. They would miss out on a lot of free publicity that would take place during the tournament. There will be several BE-12 teams in the tournament. The new conference would probably be mentioned/discussed every time one of those teams played (unless the announcers were directed not to discuss it since it will be on a different network).
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Dayton to Marquette is 50 miles shorter than St. Louis to Creighton...385 miles...I've done the Marquette drive....it's long...and painful!
I've done the drive to Marquette too, that's probably about a 6 hour drive?

And there is no direct route from St. Louis to Omaha. I think that drive is around 7 or 7.5 hours.

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Are there no quality teams east of Dayton that would be a better fit geographically and financially than Creighton???
Other than the schools that have already been mentioned, such as Richmond, VCU, and maybe George Mason and Siena, I can't think of any, can you?

IMO, there are only a small number of quality, non-BCS schools that fit the geographic profile that the c7 are looking for.

Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
But Dayton could volunteer to cover the 2 million themselves, when you figure the extra TV money, plus the extra fans this conference would put in seats, and extra concessions because season ticket holders and students would actually use their seats.
I agree, if they can buy their way in right now by paying the $2 million fee themselves, then IMO, they should definitely do that. IMO, the $2 million fee would be a small price to pay over the longer term.

Last edited by ud2; 03-13-2013 at 12:11 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 11:54 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by 31770 View Post
Funny, NBC sports is reporting the Robbins story

http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...xavier-dayton/
You gotta love how it almost appears as though NBC is stunned that Dayton is mentioned for 2013.
Old 03-13-2013, 11:57 AM
General

I don't think it would make much sense to make the announcement AFTER the NCAA Tournament. They would miss out on a lot of free publicity that would take place during the tournament. There will be several BE-12 teams in the tournament. The new conference would probably be mentioned/discussed every time one of those teams played (unless the announcers were directed not to discuss it since it will be on a different network).
I'd be shocked if they waited beyond final 4 weekend. I kind of thought they'd do it yesterday prior to the Big East tournament, but since that has happened, next tuesday is making a lot of sense. They hype surrounding selection sunday and bracket monday will have died down a bit. If Dayton is included as part of the announcement, you get an immediate showcase for the new conference.
ud2 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:00 PM
Major General

Does any Prider have sufficient media creds to call the Post writer to ensure that the names "Dayton" and "Creighton" were not inadvertently swicthed.....without insulting the guy?

Mistakes like that occurred in past reporting of this matter.

Just asking.
I have zero cred...not even on this board, but I sent him an email anyway! Didn't insult him, just wondered how the speculation of Creighton being #10 changed to him reporting that Dayton IS #10.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:01 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Radar View Post
You gotta love how it almost appears as though NBC is stunned that Dayton is mentioned for 2013.
Almost like you could hear him choking back vomit.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:04 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
Listening to 660 in NY and Vin Parise from NBC Sports Net still reporting Xavier, butler creighton in first then dayton and st. louis to follow.

Who knows the truth
Old 03-13-2013, 12:12 PM
1st Lieutenant

The Post article has been updated several times since it was first posted. I am sure if the Creighton/Dayton was a Typo - it would have been fixed by now. NY Post is reporting that it is UD - so it probably is. UD Eearl
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UD_Earl For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (03-13-2013), ud2 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:15 PM
1st Lieutenant

Irony is a funny thing. UC being left kind of high and dry. UD going to the Big East. Ha. Love it! UD Earl
Old 03-13-2013, 12:16 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,859 Times in 720 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
Ud arena will be on TV 10 times next week. They can talk about the big east expansion many times. The color guy can draw in a big east logo over the a10 with the teleprompter. I've got to believe that if the report I'd true the announcement will happen right after this weekend.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:19 PM
1st Lieutenant

If this is true - for those of you that do not have season tix - you better get them now. They will probably add 1,000 new season ticket holders between now and next season. This would be an absolute boon to the University in many different ways.
Mad Props to UD_Earl For This Totally Excellent Post:
longtimefan (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:24 PM
Brigadier General

Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
i have said this same thing (well, i didn't mention an alien story) about the new york post. they certainly take privileges with "facts."
Old 03-13-2013, 12:28 PM
Brigadier General

maybe robbins is trolling for page hits?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,512 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
There is no reason for the post to "make" up the facts here. Why would they put a headline together with UD in it if they didn't have good reason? They have since updated the article and kept the headline the same. My guess is that adding Creighton by its lonesome way out in Omaha didn't make financial or geographic sense. There would be a lot of money spent on all the other Olympic sports to make one long distance trip.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,164 Times in 1,008 Posts
Buster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond reputeBuster Goode has a reputation beyond repute
Almost like you could hear him choking back vomit.
I know we have been snake-bitten as a program but we need to curb the "small man's complex". I didn't sense this at all in the NBC article
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Buster Goode For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-13-2013), Flyer69ers (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:34 PM
Brigadier General

the ny post has quite an incentive to run a story first...money. their advertisers are motivated by the number of people who visit their website. breaking a story creates a lot of internet traffic. i'm not sure that they'll have a significant increase in newspaper sales, but clicks do equal cash.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by TA111 View Post
There is no reason for the post to "make" up the facts here. Why would they put a headline together with UD in it if they didn't have good reason? They have since updated the article and kept the headline the same. My guess is that adding Creighton by its lonesome way out in Omaha didn't make financial or geographic sense. There would be a lot of money spent on all the other Olympic sports to make one long distance trip.
You're right.

But, see if Creighton's inclusion makes any more sense to you after seeing this....

http://www.creighton.edu/office-of-the-president

http://www.marquette.edu/about/leadership/lannon.shtml

If for whatever reason the links aren't working. Creighton's current president is also currently on Marquette's board of trustees.

Marquette is pushing hard for Creighton. I'm sure that's just a coincidence.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:35 PM
Colonel

udstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud ofudstevied_D87 has much to be proud of
He was stating it as fact on the radio show, but it's just his call i guess.

Vin Parise ‏@VinParise
@SteveDevcich @JoeandEvan -- between those 2 for that slot. Both are very much still in play. Should be interesting....
Old 03-13-2013, 12:37 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Radar View Post
Aren't we all?
This is a significant departure from conventional wisdom. Let's just hope it's true.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:49 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
the ny post has quite an incentive to run a story first...money. their advertisers are motivated by the number of people who visit their website. breaking a story creates a lot of internet traffic. i'm not sure that they'll have a significant increase in newspaper sales, but clicks do equal cash.
Not really. They have more digital inventory than they can sell as it is. Nearly all mass media sites do. More traffic just creates more ad inventory they can't sell. The incremental dollars for something like this would be virtually meaningless to an organization the size of The Post. And in the long run damage to reputation does far more harm - although in the larger picture this story isn't big enough to do that much damage.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-13-2013, 12:50 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
UD in.....

Originally Posted by Flyer69ers View Post
Bingo----will FOX get more out of X playing Creighton or UD 2X's next year!
Old 03-13-2013, 12:51 PM
Lieutenant General

On the Marquette board a poster had an interesting insight. He said MU and Creighton are both booked into the same exempt tournament next year, and NCAA rules don't allow two teams from the same conference to participate in the same exempt event. Likely they have both signed the contract already.

Just a thought.
Mad Props to bobber For This Totally Excellent Post:
TA111 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,510 Times in 825 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
What about us or Xavier? Or Butler?
Old 03-13-2013, 12:56 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
If they know the 12 there are many reasons they could change the order.

Bobber just noted one. Another is the C7 was willing to help with 2M of extra exit feed and not 3M. UD said they would pay all of their 2M. Geographic proximity. Creighton is really far for most of the schools without SLU. And another, perhaps the biggest is Fox. They need programming. They already have full rights to Creighton games. Getting UD instead gets them in control of the rights to more games.

If true, in reality it is probably all if that and more.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by UDDoug; 03-13-2013 at 01:00 PM..
Mad Props to UDDoug For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,695 Times in 2,512 Posts
TA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond reputeTA111 has a reputation beyond repute
Good find Bobber. You're right 2 schools can't compete from same conf. This along with many other factors may set Creighton back until 2014.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:58 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,767 Times in 1,133 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
On the Marquette board a poster had an interesting insight. He said MU and Creighton are both booked into the same exempt tournament next year, and NCAA rules don't allow two teams from the same conference to participate in the same exempt event. Likely they have both signed the contract already.

Just a thought.
If that is the reason why, that is as unlikely a scenario as Fordham winning its first road game since 2009 against St. Bonaventure last week...

Originally Posted by FlyingArrow View Post
What about us or Xavier? Or Butler?
No way. Those two are in based on court results. Fox probably says no deal without those two.
Posted via Mobile Device
General

No one from the future Big East is in Mauii next season (well except for hopefully Dayton) for whatever its worth.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:03 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Both West Virginia and Oklahoma were in the Old Spice Classic this year. Both are from the Big 12.
Old 03-13-2013, 01:06 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,262 Times in 666 Posts
FlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond reputeFlyerGuyer has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up

Butler, Dayton, Xavier to join Big East next season.

Best. Headline. Ever.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerGuyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
SeasonTicketFan (03-13-2013), UD_Earl (03-13-2013), Viperstick (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM
General

Thanked 2,919 Times in 1,408 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bcross View Post
Both West Virginia and Oklahoma were in the Old Spice Classic this year. Both are from the Big 12.
I doubt that participation in an exempt tournament is going to sway the decision on which teams to add when. What is the worst that could happen? What if the team reneges? Are the penalties/consequences anywhere near as severe as the exit fees teams have to pay to leave their current conferences?

Even though rules do exist to prohibit conference mates from participating, this is a unique chicken-and-egg circumstance where the decision to play preceded to decision to be in the same conference. I am sure the tournament organizers and the conference can work together to come up with a creative solution, like making it so that the game is not an official conference game (like X-BU earlier this year).
Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClevelandFlyer05 (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 01:10 PM

If true, it will be interesting to have Purnell back at UD Arena.

Has UD ever played against a former UD head coach? I don't think that has ever happened.

Last edited by ud2; 03-13-2013 at 01:12 PM..
Old 03-13-2013, 01:21 PM
1st Lieutenant

UDGRIZZ2010 has a spectacular aura aboutUDGRIZZ2010 has a spectacular aura aboutUDGRIZZ2010 has a spectacular aura about
Matthew Schwade @FlyerHoops had someone say that FOX owns the NY Post.
I don't know if this carries any weight, but one of the @FlyerHoops subscribers pointed out that the NY Post is owned by Fox.
Posted via Mobile Device