Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement
Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 03:59 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
12th man in the rotation = rumored transfer. Every year. Every team.
Advertisement
Old 04-01-2014, 04:01 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
12th man in 11 player rotation = rumored transfer. Every year. Every team.
fixed
Old 04-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Colonel

NorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeNorthwestFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
didn't know there was a rumor but I guess there is one now.
He's obviously in the doghouse or he would have played more.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
On Eron Harris, saw something where New Mexico was recruiting him. That is most certainly not closer to home. So he may just be considering home to be anywhere Huggins and Staten are not.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-01-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 04:49 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,484 Times in 810 Posts
FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
12th man in the rotation = rumored transfer. Every year. Every team.
Unless they're a freshman and there are known minutes opening up at their position.
Old 04-01-2014, 06:19 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
Eron Harris has and I believe always will be looking for the "Big Conference" teams. Wasn't he the kid rumored to be holding out for a Wisconsin offer when UD offered and they never did and decided to commit to Huggy at the last minute? I've seen all kinds of rumors with this kid, from Purdue to Indiana to OSU. Even with the Elite 8 run, I don't see him settling for a "little old Atlantic 10 team" like us. And I say good. He didn't want us then, he probably doesn't wants us now.

Plus, he can shoot, but struggles quite a bit on the defensive side.
Mad Props to anthonycharles For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (04-01-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 12:51 AM
Major General

Maybe combing the JUCO ranks for another big body?

http://nextuprecruits.com/2014/02/10/chris-bryant/

The 6’8 Forward at College of Central Florida known as Chris Bryant is one of the most consistent Juco players in this years sophomore class. Bryant comes from a winning background, as he graduated from Rickards Hs in Tallahassee, Fl with two state championships. After his senior season he spent some time at Fishburne Military(VA) and signed to Florida Atlantic University.

This season Bryant transferred and he has carried that winning mentality to the 20-6 Defending National Champions. Bryant knows his role on his team and that’s what leads to his success, as he averages 13ppg and 9rpb. His motor is always running and he only has one speed, which is “all out”. He is very affective at 18ft from the basket, as his quickness and aggressive nature gets him to the rim and foul line. He is one the best at rebounding outside of his area, and has a solid shot.

Bryant is currently getting interest from several Division 1 schools such as Illinois St, Dayton, Florida, Auburn, Georgia, Tulsa, Middle Tenn. St. Bryant is looking to wait until after the season to make his decision, but he did at this moment Dayton and Florida were his top two schools.
9 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
axehandle (04-02-2014), Bob G (04-02-2014), Bonziflyer (04-02-2014), Flyer 86 (04-05-2014), FLYER5 (04-02-2014), JoeFlyer (04-02-2014), OSU Flyer (04-02-2014), ud2 (04-02-2014), udflyerfan (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 01:02 AM
Major General

Coming out of high school, Bryant was pretty highly regarded.

Florida Class 3A Player of The Year

Most highly acclaimed player ever to sign at FAU

http://www.fauowlaccess.com/articles...asketball.aspx

http://www.fauowlaccess.com/blogs/ow...is-bryant.aspx
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-02-2014), FlyingArrow (04-02-2014), OSU Flyer (04-02-2014), ud2 (04-02-2014), UDBrian (04-02-2014), udflyerfan (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 06:49 AM
Captain

Flyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to allFlyer Dave is a name known to all
Originally Posted by anthonycharles View Post
Eron Harris has and I believe always will be looking for the "Big Conference" teams. Wasn't he the kid rumored to be holding out for a Wisconsin offer when UD offered and they never did and decided to commit to Huggy at the last minute? I've seen all kinds of rumors with this kid, from Purdue to Indiana to OSU. Even with the Elite 8 run, I don't see him settling for a "little old Atlantic 10 team" like us. And I say good. He didn't want us then, he probably doesn't wants us now.

Plus, he can shoot, but struggles quite a bit on the defensive side.
Lets stop calling our conference or team small, little, non big or whatever. Then maybe, just maybe others will start looking at us as a major. Just saying...
Mad Props to Flyer Dave For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 08:18 AM
Major General

Elite major.
Jack D (04-02-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 09:49 AM

Thanked 6,122 Times in 4,168 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Coming out of high school, Bryant was pretty highly regarded.

Florida Class 3A Player of The Year

Most highly acclaimed player ever to sign at FAU

http://www.fauowlaccess.com/articles...asketball.aspx

http://www.fauowlaccess.com/blogs/ow...is-bryant.aspx
Now this player has me really excited, a nice big man/power forward, he sounds like he would be a good get. Wasn't Isiah Thomas or Richard Pitino the coach at Florida Atlantic?

Edit: it looks like he was recruited to FAU by former St. John's and GW coach Mike Jarvis. Jarvis was just fired as the hc at FAU.

Pitino replaced Thomas at Florida International not FAU.

Last edited by ud2; 04-02-2014 at 10:16 AM..
Old 04-02-2014, 10:30 AM
General

Thanked 4,319 Times in 2,123 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know anything about the kid, but if your wonderng why the heck a talented kid would go to FAU, I'm guessing Mike Jarvis laid on the "I coached Patrick Ewing in HS" angle pretty thick.
Old 04-02-2014, 10:37 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Medford View Post
Don't know anything about the kid, but if your wonderng why the heck a talented kid would go to FAU, I'm guessing Mike Jarvis laid on the "I coached Patrick Ewing in HS" angle pretty thick.
Yes, I am definitely scratching my head on this one, his most high profile offers were from Marquette, Florida State, and Virginia Tech.

3 stars from Rivals, Scout, and ESPN, and ESPN graded him as an 89.

www.verbalcommits.com/players/chris-bryant

247sports.com profile link, they gave him 3 stars and a grade of 80, I don't know if they use the same numerical grading scale as ESPN.

http://www.247sports.com/Player/Chri...stitution=5462

Last edited by ud2; 04-02-2014 at 11:11 AM..
Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-05-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 11:37 AM

Former CJ product and UD prospect Justin Bibbs said that he hasn't made his final decision, but Bibbs said that it is looking like he will remain at Virginia Tech despite the coaching change.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/column....html?mode=jqm
Old 04-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Captain

UDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant futureUDFlyer23 has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Former CJ product and UD prospect Justin Bibbs said that he hasn't made his final decision, but Bibbs said that it is looking like he will remain at Virginia Tech despite the coaching change.

http://www.roanoke.com/sports/column....html?mode=jqm
Darn. I was really hoping we could have landed Bibbs, that would have been huge. Hopefully Archie is working him, you have to think a hometown kid might be easy to sway now that Dayton is on the map.
Old 04-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
I wouldn't put any angles past Mike Jarvis. He'll give you a wad of cash if that's what it takes. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...on_x.htm?ord=3
Old 04-02-2014, 02:03 PM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't put any angles past Mike Jarvis. He'll give you a wad of cash if that's what it takes. http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...on_x.htm?ord=3
I read an article that talked about Bryant at FAU. He had to sit early on due to "academic issues". I assume that means getting through the clearinghouse. The article mentioned that Jarvis called him out several times after games for "playing soft".

My guess is that Archie is keeping all options open at this point and is sifting through the choices.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:14 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,388 Times in 620 Posts
AC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond reputeAC91 has a reputation beyond repute
There could be any number of guys archie is looking at who could be added. The only think I hope is that at least one of the two can suit up next year. I think that helps with class balance and i'm not enamored with the idea of two scholarships going to guys who won't be available to play.
Old 04-02-2014, 02:20 PM
Major General

yeah, i got the impression that Jarvis got him on pretty hard, probably trying to motivate him. Many kids dont respond well to negativity. I think he probably needed support in adjusting to college and got the exact opposite. I have no doubt UD's coaching staff would be much more supportive and UD would be a better environment for him. Not sure whether he has an offer though.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 04-02-2014 at 02:23 PM..
FLYER5 (04-03-2014)
Old 04-02-2014, 06:47 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer Dave View Post
Lets stop calling our conference or team small, little, non big or whatever. Then maybe, just maybe others will start looking at us as a major. Just saying...
I like the A-10 and it is plenty "big" enough for me. Go back and read some of the recruiting threads regarding Harris. It was pretty obvious that he was waiting on an offer from a BCS conference. My statement about being "little" was tongue in cheek. Sorry, I will stick with the standard BCS and non-BCS crap most people call it, which I don't like.

I suggest you stop being so sensitive though. Just saying...
Old 04-03-2014, 02:10 PM
Major General

Have not seen Dayton or anyone else mentioned, but Tennessee announced a transfer who may fit what UD is looking for.

His name is Quinton Chievous, nicknamed Q. He's finishing his degree requirements so that he can play immediately next year and could back up Sibert and Pierre. He is 6'5 with a reputation as a great perimeter shooter and rebounder who plays taller than his height. See: http://www.nooga.com/158269/vols-chi...vance-billing/

Story on his transferring: http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2014/...nton-chievous/

Some things to consider --

* Chose Tennessee over SLU
* Barely played at Tennessee. Redshirt in 2011-2012. Last season only got in 9 games!
* Here's where it gets weird. Father was an all-American at Missouri and yet his son didn't start playing organized basketball until his sophomore year of high school. Sounds like he was going nowhere in life until he left Missouri to move to Chicago, where he attended Notre Dame prep, got some structure in his life and joined the team. See: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...arl-basketball

In the end, I'd be cautious you could tap into his natural ability only because he's played so little organized basketball.

But definitely an interesting story and it wouldn't shock me to see his name linked to Dayton.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 04-03-2014 at 02:12 PM..
FLYER5 (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 02:55 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Have not seen Dayton or anyone else mentioned, but Tennessee announced a transfer who may fit what UD is looking for.

His name is Quinton Chievous, nicknamed Q. He's finishing his degree requirements so that he can play immediately next year and could back up Sibert and Pierre. He is 6'5 with a reputation as a great perimeter shooter and rebounder who plays taller than his height. See: http://www.nooga.com/158269/vols-chi...vance-billing/

Story on his transferring: http://www.govolsxtra.com/news/2014/...nton-chievous/

Some things to consider --

* Chose Tennessee over SLU
* Barely played at Tennessee. Redshirt in 2011-2012. Last season only got in 9 games!
* Here's where it gets weird. Father was an all-American at Missouri and yet his son didn't start playing organized basketball until his sophomore year of high school. Sounds like he was going nowhere in life until he left Missouri to move to Chicago, where he attended Notre Dame prep, got some structure in his life and joined the team. See: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...arl-basketball

In the end, I'd be cautious you could tap into his natural ability only because he's played so little organized basketball.

But definitely an interesting story and it wouldn't shock me to see his name linked to Dayton.
I really do not see why Dayton would have any interest is this kid. According to ESPN he did not play or accumulate any stats in 28 games this year. AG played in more games this year.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (04-03-2014)
Old 04-03-2014, 04:23 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
I really do not see why Dayton would have any interest is this kid. According to ESPN he did not play or accumulate any stats in 28 games this year. AG played in more games this year.
Probably not. The lack of organized basketball he played coupled with the little playing time he got at Tennessee would suggest Dayton probably would steer clear. But I will say that I was very skeptical of the lack of stats/playing time put up by Sibert and Sanford and I was proven wrong. Although they got more time than this kid for sure. And they played plenty of organized basketball. It's really hard to say what the kid is capable of though because Cuonzo is like Matta. Won't play more than 8 guys. Kid was awesome in some of the exhibition games, but then absolutely nothing.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:03 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

Have not seen Dayton or anyone else mentioned, but Tennessee announced a transfer who may fit what UD is looking for. . . His name is Quinton Chievous, nicknamed Q . . . definitely an interesting story and it wouldn't shock me to see his name linked to Dayton.

Is his middle name Mis?
Sounds like a lock for the all-name team with Scoochie and Pookie . . .

Old 04-04-2014, 09:17 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
Derrick Chievous was an amazing player for Mizzou. Man, that is a blast from the past. He was really fun to watch.
Old 04-04-2014, 09:27 AM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Trying to recall, did we not get some commits in the May/June timeframe several years?
Old 04-04-2014, 11:14 AM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
Pierre and Price were both late signing period. Not sure how late, after the season late.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:18 AM

IIRC Pierre was a May signing. with all the transfers these days the Spring signing period is nuts. Coaches have to sift through a lot of potential recruits. Obviously Archie and his staff have done well with Sanford, Sibert, Price and Pierre.
Old 04-04-2014, 04:30 PM
Brigadier General

Jack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to allJack D is a name known to all
Can someone summarize who are the top recruits left on the board for UD?
Old 04-04-2014, 04:44 PM
General

Thanked 3,904 Times in 2,143 Posts
OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Jack D View Post
Can someone summarize who are the top recruits left on the board for UD?
as best I can tell

Three high school wings in Jay Henderson, Aubrey Dawkins & Dazhontae Bennett. Junior College forward Chris Bryant.

I'm sure as the coaching carousel continues and transfers it'll change quickly
Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-06-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 05:16 PM
1st Lieutenant

funeralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to allfuneralplanner is a name known to all
Ahrens from Versailles? Or have parties moved on?
Old 04-04-2014, 05:25 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by funeralplanner View Post
Ahrens from Versailles? Or have parties moved on?
No still in play, but he is a 2015 recruit
Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-04-2014)
Old 04-04-2014, 05:42 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by OSU Flyer View Post
as best I can tell

Three high school wings in Jay Henderson, Aubrey Dawkins & Dazhontae Bennett. Junior College forward Chris Bryant.

I'm sure as the coaching carousel continues and transfers it'll change quickly
Forgot about Henderson. That's the kid in Florida, right? I have seen no indication that Dayton is actually recruiting Dazhontae.
Old 04-04-2014, 11:15 PM
Major General

Did some looking into this Jay Henderson kid. It looks like Dayton and St. John's may be the leaders for him. Visiting SJU in the near future. Here is a 7 page thread from a St. John's forum on him: http://redmen.com/1x/forum/48-2014/4...l?limitstart=0
Old 04-04-2014, 11:54 PM
Lieutenant General

FlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingArrow has a reputation beyond repute
Take a look at the highlights video for Ja'Mill Powell, 6-6 SG:

http://verbalcommits.com/players/ja-mill-powell

I know it's just a highlight video, but it shows deep range on the 3 and the ability to get to the basket and score in traffic, and a mid-range jumper. He doesn't have very good offers, if that's any indication. We are listed as 'interest - no offer'. He would come in as a junior transfer and could play right away.

Last edited by FlyingArrow; 04-04-2014 at 11:57 PM..
Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 12:03 AM
General

OSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeOSU Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Did some looking into this Jay Henderson kid. It looks like Dayton and St. John's may be the leaders for him. Visiting SJU in the near future. Here is a 7 page thread from a St. John's forum on him: http://redmen.com/1x/forum/48-2014/4...l?limitstart=0
St John's only has 7 scholarship players next year so that could really be working against us if he wants to play early
Old 04-05-2014, 12:50 AM
Major General

Powell looks good. I just read an absolutely fascinating feature on Powell, which paints the picture of life in Bridgeport, Conn. Gangs, drugs, violence and eventually prisontime is the norm, even for those gifted enough to use basketball as a means of securing a free college education. Most throw the gift away. But Powell seems like a good kid who has his head screwed on straight. As much as we have complained about over-involved/meddling fathers - the Doliboas and Statens come to mind - it's really sad to read about a father who only starts coming around when he hears his son could be playing ball in college. It's a must read, whether or not Dayton extends a scholarship. I'll definitely be rooting for him to succeed.

http://www.ctpost.com/sports/article...090.php#page-1
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-05-2014), FlyingArrow (04-05-2014), OSU Flyer (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 12:55 AM
Lieutenant General

Powell looks good.
I thought so, but I don't really know what to look for.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:08 AM
Major General

Yeah, can't say I have ever watched a highlight reel and said, "this guy sucks." They always look good.
Old 04-05-2014, 02:02 AM
General

Powell was at one time signed/committed to Virginia Tech Greenburg's last year
Old 04-05-2014, 07:07 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Does anyone know the next date when commitments can announce
Old 04-05-2014, 09:27 AM
2nd Lieutenant

Larry67 is a jewel in the roughLarry67 is a jewel in the roughLarry67 is a jewel in the roughLarry67 is a jewel in the rough
April 16th
Old 04-05-2014, 09:45 AM
Major General

St John's only has 7 scholarship players next year so that could really be working against us if he wants to play early
Maybe. Some kids would be drawn to the allure of NYC. But lots of immediate PT at a trainwreck of a situation, or immediate contributor on a deep rotation in a program that looks to be positioned for making the tourney. Depends how he sees it...

One post I saw on another St. John's site was bemoaning his lack of stars. Until someone pointed out Dayton was in on him. Then they changed their tune. "If he's good enough for Dayton, he's good enough for us" -- I'll dig up that link, but this whole respect thing is weird!
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (04-05-2014), OSU Flyer (04-05-2014), rollo (04-05-2014), San Diego Flyer (04-05-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 03:36 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,858 Times in 719 Posts
sheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond reputesheg has a reputation beyond repute
I haven't seen this guy mentioned on here:http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jaquan-lynch Jaquan Lynch, lists Dayton as offering. Juco, apparently would have sophomore eligibility.
Old 04-05-2014, 03:47 PM
General

Henderson's HS Lake Highland Prep in the Orlando won back to back state titles. He played with North Carolina bound McDonald's All-American PG Joel Berry.

Sounds like he played some pretty good competition in Florida
Old 04-05-2014, 04:38 PM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I don't see archie using more than one scholarship unless one of them is a one year transfer. An elite eight appearance is fresh in everyone's mind. You need to have scholarships available for players you have established relationships with in the next class.

Of course if an absolute stud falls into their laps they will take him. Archie said before that he wouldn't settle and he definitely won't in this situation

A JUCO better be guaranteed to help because he would mean five scholarships to the Pierre class.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-05-2014), OSU Flyer (04-07-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 04:59 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
I don't see archie using more than one scholarship unless one of them is a one year transfer. An elite eight appearance is fresh in everyone's mind. You need to have scholarships available for players you have established relationships with in the next class.

Of course if an absolute stud falls into their laps they will take him. Archie said before that he wouldn't settle and he definitely won't in this situation

A JUCO better be guaranteed to help because he would mean five scholarships to the Pierre class.
We have 3 scholarships right now with holes at wing and PF/C. He should be looking to use at least 2.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:14 PM
Major General

Originally Posted by sheg View Post
I haven't seen this guy mentioned on here:http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/jaquan-lynch Jaquan Lynch, lists Dayton as offering. Juco, apparently would have sophomore eligibility.
Makes no sense. If Dayton goes juco, it's not to bring in a pg. I can maybe see a transfer like Jaaron who sits a year as a PG with 3 years eligibility. But not a juco pg with two immediate years. I'd be shocked.
Old 04-05-2014, 08:05 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,735 Times in 1,009 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute

AM will use 2 of these and soon and possibly bank 1. Gotta have a shooter/ wing player with a couple years left, preferably, and a BIG is even more important. Robinson cannot play with an elite athlete his size or bigger, defensively, and Scott has not shown me he can go more than 3-4 mpg without getting 2 fouls on him. None of this is even taking into account injuries.
Old 04-06-2014, 04:51 AM

Thanked 1,645 Times in 683 Posts
Tony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond reputeTony T 71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by steve View Post
AM will use 2 of these and soon and possibly bank 1. Gotta have a shooter/ wing player with a couple years left, preferably, and a BIG is even more important. Robinson cannot play with an elite athlete his size or bigger, defensively, and Scott has not shown me he can go more than 3-4 mpg without getting 2 fouls on him. None of this is even taking into account injuries.
Or the fact that one or both will improve in their junior year Both of their minutes are sure to go up next year.

Cancer Survivor Amen
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Tony T 71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-06-2014), OSU Flyer (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 07:20 AM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Tony T 71 View Post
Or the fact that one or both will improve in their junior year Both of their minutes are sure to go up next year.
I hope Scott's MPG go up next year as even yours would if you were 6'9" and had eligibility left but that will only happen if he can stop being that bull in a china shop and stop getting fouls immediately. He does this team no good sitting on the pine. But you don't just assume improvement will happen based on what you've actually seen for 2 years and should it not happen then it's too late...Would be different if you were stuck with no available ships' open or even just one but it makes ZERO sense with 3 available to give. Robinson will NOT all of a sudden become a better leaper and quicker. Might become a more skillful player ( I believe he will) but not athlete and gets abused defensively by solid, bigger players.Either way they are thin next year up front and one of the players ( a freshman) in that mix nobody has an idea if he is ready or will be at this point.
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 07:29 AM
General

I hope Scott's MPG go up next year as even yours would if you were 6'9" and had eligibility left but that will only happen if he can stop being that bull in a china shop and stop getting fouls immediately. He does this team no good sitting on the pine. But you don't just assume improvement will happen based on what you've actually seen for 2 years and should it not happen then it's too late...Would be different if you were stuck with no available ships' open or even just one but it makes ZERO sense with 3 available to give. Robinson will NOT all of a sudden become a better leaper and quicker. Might become a more skillful player ( I believe he will) but not athlete and gets abused defensively by solid, bigger players.Either way they are thin next year up front and one of the players ( a freshman) in that mix nobody has an idea if he is ready or will be at this point.
Big men usually take a little longer to develop. Kav could barley off of the bench is his first two years. Robinson/Scott showed some promise but this a big off season for them. A quality athletic big man is always gonna be a challenge for Dayton to find
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-06-2014), Tony T 71 (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 08:18 AM
Major General

Big men usually take a little longer to develop. Kav could barley off of the bench is his first two years. Robinson/Scott showed some promise but this a big off season for them. A quality athletic big man is always gonna be a challenge for Dayton to find
I think the system had more to do with Kavs. He was not built for BG's system, IMHO, plus let's just say BB was not a real priority with Kavs early on. Pretty ironic that AM brings in a real offensive system and Kavs has a heck of a good junior year. These 2 kids have had lots of PT in two years and while I can see Jalen more of an improved player next year I'm not sold on Scott, at least for the minutes UD is going to need from him. But, yes, it does/can take BIGS a bit more time in general. Don't necessarily need a big man as in a C as much as another active 6'7" -6'9" with experience who can bang...
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
OSU Flyer (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 12:02 PM
Major General

Balancing basketball, academics and trying to adjust to becoming a father is a bit much. I think Scott will be able to focus a bit more this coming season and that could lead to more production.

As for Robinson, he's my pick for most improved. Just a hunch but I think he has a monster season next year.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FIFO28 (04-07-2014), Flyer 86 (04-06-2014), FLYER5 (04-06-2014), OSU Flyer (04-06-2014), swish61 (04-07-2014), Viperstick (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 02:33 PM
Colonel

swish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant futureswish61 has a brilliant future
Balancing basketball, academics and trying to adjust to becoming a father is a bit much. I think Scott will be able to focus a bit more this coming season and that could lead to more production.

As for Robinson, he's my pick for most improved. Just a hunch but I think he has a monster season next year.
I agree. I'm looking for really good things from both next year. I believe we all will be looking back saying, Wow, these two are good, and they balance what each bring to the table.
I really think by this time next year we will be amazed at the season they just had.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:10 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
If JR winds up playing most of his minutes at the 5 I doubt we will see him at his best. If on the other hand, he plays the 4, I think he will impress.

Our biggest hole going into next year is the center position. I hope McElvene can come in and play serious minutes. I also hope that Arch and company can find a good recruit that can play quality minutes at the 4/5. It's a long shot, but they've done it before and I hope they can do it again.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:26 PM
General of the Air Force

I agree that getting a power forward is a big priority unless Scott or Robinson can show big time improvement in the off season

I expect Pollard to be the most improved player next year based partly on his improvement late in the season. It would be great to pick up a really good wing this year but he had better be as good as what you can get the following class. A one year player would be ideal at pf
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (04-06-2014)
Old 04-06-2014, 05:29 PM
General

Part of the reason if I remember reading correctly that Steve McElvene picked Dayton was the chance to play early. I gotta think he's gonna be able to come and in play some minutes early. I don't think Gavrilovic would have left if he didn't see the writing on the wall with Scott/SM at the 5.

Gonna be interesting to see what the elite 8 run does with some of the 2015 recruits like Nate Fowler, Kyle Ahrens, etc.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:56 PM
I Am A Statistical God

Thanked 6,152 Times in 2,316 Posts
Figgie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond reputeFiggie123 has a reputation beyond repute
Kav could barley off of the bench is his first two years.
I think the system had more to do with Kavs. He was not built for BG's system, IMHO, plus let's just say BB was not a real priority with Kavs early on. Pretty ironic that AM brings in a real offensive system and Kavs has a heck of a good junior year.
I think the personnel in place was also a major reason for Kavs not playing. Now, unless Kavs was a stud, I don't see him jumping over Huelsman (21.7) and Searcy (14.1) to get minutes in 2009-10 (Kavs 3.1/14gms) (RS-Fr Benson got 8.1/35gms).

Then in 2010-11, Searcy got 15.0 and Benson got 17.9. Granted, that is the year everyone wants to forget as it was supposed to be a glorious year with Wright being a senior, and it ended with a fizzled loss at College of Charleston.

Then in 2011-12, we are basically playing with 9 players and Kavanaugh gets 23.9 minutes, Benson averages 26.5 before going down to injury, and Archie scrambles to find the replacement at the 4 spot between DO, LF and RH. (DO wins, btw. )

So, I disagree that it was specifically the offensive scheme that led to Kavs not getting off the bunch. I think it was the roster that UD had at the time, and Kavs not being a world-winner to overtake the upperclassmen.
Mad Props to Figgie123 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 02:17 PM
Major General

I expect Pollard to be the most improved player next year based partly on his improvement late in the season.
I like the chances of this too. I see Pollard as a 6th man, big spark off the bench type guy. May not ever be a starter, but an extremely valuable contributor.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:24 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Figgie123 View Post
I think the personnel in place was also a major reason for Kavs not playing. Now, unless Kavs was a stud, I don't see him jumping over Huelsman (21.7) and Searcy (14.1) to get minutes in 2009-10 (Kavs 3.1/14gms) (RS-Fr Benson got 8.1/35gms).

Then in 2010-11, Searcy got 15.0 and Benson got 17.9. Granted, that is the year everyone wants to forget as it was supposed to be a glorious year with Wright being a senior, and it ended with a fizzled loss at College of Charleston.

Then in 2011-12, we are basically playing with 9 players and Kavanaugh gets 23.9 minutes, Benson averages 26.5 before going down to injury, and Archie scrambles to find the replacement at the 4 spot between DO, LF and RH. (DO wins, btw. )

So, I disagree that it was specifically the offensive scheme that led to Kavs not getting off the bunch. I think it was the roster that UD had at the time, and Kavs not being a world-winner to overtake the upperclassmen.
I watched several practices when Kav was a freshman. Players took turns blocking his shot. The BG team had athletic leapers that would would feast on his slow moves. Chris Wright, Marcus Johnson and others would block almost every shot he took. It was painful to watch a few times. Remember, he looked out of sorts at the beginning of this last season too.

He is not a quick, high leaper and he had to learn how to compensate in the college game. Like many big men, that often takes time. BG would talk about that when Kav discussion came up. He always mentioned that it takes time to develop big men.

BG's system does not highlight the center spot, but in this case, I think Kav just took a while to develop into the player he became. He used his smarts to work better with the tools he has. He would match up really well against big, wide slow centers and he had a nose for offensive rebounds.

It just took him a while to get there.

He also benefited from Archie's system and better offensive players. Many of his points were generated from the defense rotating to cover Kevin Dillard, Jordan and others.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Major General

I agree that getting a power forward is a big priority unless Scott or Robinson can show big time improvement in the off season

I expect Pollard to be the most improved player next year based partly on his improvement late in the season. It would be great to pick up a really good wing this year but he had better be as good as what you can get the following class. A one year player would be ideal at pf
But the issue becomes by the time AM sees improvement/ no improvement it's too late to get another kid..AM is not going to see these kids until at least the summer. You can't bank on vast improvement..And getting another player really has nothing to do with their development as it does with just being very thin up front.

Last edited by steve; 04-07-2014 at 03:10 PM..
Old 04-07-2014, 03:29 PM
Colonel

Flyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant futureFlyer69ers has a brilliant future
It seems to me that if this last season taught us anything, it's that you never know how things are going to go.
We hoped for the best and we got it.
That sounds like a good plan to me.
Mad Props to Flyer69ers For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 03:36 PM

I was on OU's board www.bobcatattack.com to see what they thought of their new coach, Phillips.

Anyway, 4 star incoming recruit, big man Tariq Owens, asked out of his LOI. DallasFlyer mentioned this in another thread.

Anyway, they've got a 3 page thread on Owens, I'll have to read it and see what the deal is.
Old 04-07-2014, 03:43 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,429 Times in 754 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
It seems quickly discounted, but it is entirely possible that the team improves with the players coming in and improvement among the returning players. We've lost 3 players: Kavs, DMO and Vee. DMO is the most difficult to replace because of his non-statistical impact on the team. However, even DMO didn't pull the team out of the 1-5 funk. It was AM realizing that he needed to change. The biggest change was defensive effort. I don't know that the 3 seniors were our best defensive players. Plus, we will get improvement. Pierre's scoring improved though his percentages did drop. Sibert became a better player. Sibert couldn't beat my mammaw off the bounce for the first 2/3 of the season. He actually started converting on drives only toward the end. Pollard went from nothing to being on the court in the last minutes of critical games (I was stunned when he was on the court with just over a minute left against OSU). Scoochie and Davis are going to improve. They both showed signs of being outstanding players. And, we have big Steve coming in. Why is it that everyone assumes that Big Steve won't be able to contribute next year? Give me an apples to apples comparison of another recent big man who couldn't contribute as a freshman. I think we improve at the 5 with a combination of returning improvement and Big Steve. We accepted Kavs. People apologized for his lack of stats. He can be replaced. I think we improve at the 1. KP and Scoochie are only going to come back stronger. We'll be better at the 2. Sibert was inconsistent but improved over the course of the season. Davis improved over the season. We'll be better at the 3. Well, we'll be better with the 3 or 4 ... whichever it is Pierre plays. I see Pierre going nuts next year. He's our best, most complete player. He can hit the 3, drain a mid range shot, and lower his shoulder and kiss it off the glass. Pierre takes over next year. The ONLY position we are down at is the 4...replacing DMO. I like what we have to step in. We can replace his scoring and D. Leadership....we'll have to see where that comes from. But, I am confidant in this group. With the new guys coming in and with improvement, we'll be better next year. I bet Rollo's right nut that we're better.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-12-2014), rollo (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 03:53 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Ohio's Athletic Director refused to give Tariq Owens, a four-star recruit, his release, according to a source.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Brigadier General

Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Since betting Rollo's right nut didn't elicit a response, I raise the stakes and bet his left nut as well. Someone dare take this wager.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Hyde Park Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-12-2014), rollo (04-07-2014), ud2 (05-04-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:43 PM

Thanked 6,616 Times in 3,023 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Anyway, 4 star incoming recruit, big man Tariq Owens, asked out of his LOI. DallasFlyer mentioned this in another thread.

Anyway, they've got a 3 page thread on Owens, I'll have to read it and see what the deal is.
According to some pretty good sources on the OU message board, the AD simply wants to give the new coach a chance to talk to the kid. After the discussion, if the kid still wants his release the consensus is he will get it.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 05:06 PM

Thanked 15,872 Times in 6,979 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
Since betting Rollo's right nut didn't elicit a response, I raise the stakes and bet his left nut as well. Someone dare take this wager.
They're both golden...if it means a few more Elite 8's, I'll gladly part with one.
Old 04-07-2014, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
According to some pretty good sources on the OU message board, the AD simply wants to give the new coach a chance to talk to the kid. After the discussion, if the kid still wants his release the consensus is he will get it.
Any word on what other schools he is considering if he doesn't play for OU? verbalcommits is showing some offers from some other good schools, it looks like UD didn't offer him.

http://verbalcommits.com/players/tariq-owens

Last edited by ud2; 04-07-2014 at 05:24 PM..
Old 04-07-2014, 05:23 PM

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
One trait that Kavs has that some overlook is the kid can really run for a 6'10" player of that weight. Think of that when Big Steve has to run the floor 3 times in a row this season. I'm a Steve proponent but thought he was lumbering down the floor in the clips I saw.

Also I will be very disappointed if Pollard is satisfied with the 6th man spot. He has the tools and motor to be a super rebounder and defender if he puts his mind to it. Also, made an array of shots against Stanford. Like any Frosh he has to put his natural skills to work on defense, but there is a huge upside in the big body.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (04-12-2014), OSU Flyer (04-08-2014), SeasonTicketFan (04-07-2014), UD Sam (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 05:27 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
But the issue becomes by the time AM sees improvement/ no improvement it's too late to get another kid..AM is not going to see these kids until at least the summer. You can't bank on vast improvement..And getting another player really has nothing to do with their development as it does with just being very thin up front.
NCAA now allows coaches to work with the players much more in the offseason. Archie has taken full advantage of it.
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Glen Clark (04-07-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 05:55 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
UD has offered Cressler.

http://triblive.com/sports/hssports/...#axzz2yCKf455o
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Class of 73 Alum For This Totally Excellent Post:
1903 Flyer (04-08-2014), Flyer Al (04-08-2014), Glen Clark (04-08-2014), San Diego Flyer (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
NCAA now allows coaches to work with the players much more in the offseason. Archie has taken full advantage of it.
That's great but if no improvement, possibly an "off the court" issue, etc. does it allow AM to sign a player in July/August? And, if so, you are not getting a nearly a quality JUCO player that you can get in April. I believe most semesters end in April for JUCO'S and their grades are then reflected. There's a huge difference..
Old 04-08-2014, 10:23 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Also I will be very disappointed if Pollard is satisfied with the 6th man spot. He has the tools and motor to be a super rebounder and defender if he puts his mind to it. Also, made an array of shots against Stanford
I would be very disappointed if he didn't accept whatever role made the team better. I am not saying he should be content to be 6th best on the team. But I really like having the first guy off the bench being a guy you can count on to be aggressive, a guy who just wants to get to the rim. I liked Sanford in the role because he wasn't settling for jumpers. He came in and tried to make things happen, putting pressure on the defense. I think Pollard can be similar in that regard. I agree that Stanford game is reason to be excited for his development.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 04-08-2014 at 10:25 AM..
Old 04-08-2014, 11:16 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Archie has set the tone. Doesn't matter who starts. True Team.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-08-2014, 11:33 AM
Major General

I would be very disappointed if he didn't accept whatever role made the team better. I am not saying he should be content to be 6th best on the team. But I really like having the first guy off the bench being a guy you can count on to be aggressive, a guy who just wants to get to the rim. I liked Sanford in the role because he wasn't settling for jumpers. He came in and tried to make things happen, putting pressure on the defense. I think Pollard can be similar in that regard. I agree that Stanford game is reason to be excited for his development.
Absolutely. Pollard starting will be totally up to him,and at 6'6" , and having to play the F position, he will not start at least the next couple years, imho, if he does not develop offensively at all which means a short jump shot facing the bucket..I will trust AM here and knowing the intensity and athleticism that Pollard brings, he could be a tremendous asset coming off the bench. Running the floor for a dunk, blocking a couple shots, and hanging above the rim a couple times is a nice recipe for pumping up his team on the road and the fans at home.It's not about starting but the mpg you get and the value Archie puts on him in crunch time and other key parts of the game.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Major General

Looks like Michigan offered Cressler today.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:25 PM
General

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 4h

Westchester Community Col F Keith Thomas visits Loyola Chicago Friday. Visits to Dayton, Memphis Wright State pending,his coach tells @SNYTV
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to OSU Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-09-2014), DallasFlyer (04-09-2014), FLYER5 (04-10-2014), FlyingArrow (04-09-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 10:33 PM
Lieutenant General

Westchester Community Col F Keith Thomas visits Loyola Chicago Friday. Visits to Dayton, Memphis Wright State pending,his coach tells @SNYTV
He was the national rebound leader in the Junior College ranks. And apparently, there's more competition than just that.

"St. John’s isn’t the only school after the 6-foot-8 Thomas. Florida State, Fordham, USC, South Florida, Wright State and Loyola-Chicago are among his suitors"
http://nypost.com/2014/04/04/westche...oin-red-storm/

Add Dayton and Memphis to that list, too.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyingArrow For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-09-2014), FLYER5 (04-10-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 10:34 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,556 Times in 3,701 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute

EDIT- FLYING ARROW BEAT ME BY 1 MINUTE POSTING SAME ARTICLE, SORRY FOR REPOST.

This guy could be the answer to our prayers. 15.3 pts and led the nation in the junior college ranks with 15.7 rebounds per game. According to this article he could have 3 years of eligibility. Plus, I like the fact he is a bit older (23), could become a good leader for our younger guys down the road.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:35 PM
General

http://redmen.com/1x/homepage/m1-mob....html?start=60

thread on the St John's board about him
Old 04-09-2014, 10:36 PM
Captain

KYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeKYFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

Old 04-09-2014, 10:43 PM
Major General

YES PLEASE!

Leads division 1 juco ranks in rebounding averaging 15.7 boards to go with 15.3 points a game.

Potentially three years of eligibility although he's already 23.

Known as one of the "best passing big men in the area"

“He’s like a modern day Dennis Rodman but with offensive skills,” Westchester coach Tyrone Mushatt said. “I think the sky’s the limit for him.”
Thomas said rebounding comes natural. He has good timing and a hunger to snare every loose ball.
“I’m going to outwork you,” he said.

EDIT: others posted links so removed. Exciting prospect has us all digging.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:48 PM
Major General

I've known about this guy for all of 10 minutes and I am now convinced he is the second coming of Ryan Perryman.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-09-2014), Flyer 86 (04-12-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 10:52 PM
Major General

Could be a bit controversial however. I see he faced assault charges at one time and had quit basketball for a period which explains his age.
Old 04-09-2014, 10:58 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
Could be a bit controversial however. I see he faced assault charges at one time and had quit basketball for a period which explains his age.

And maybe he has since got his life together, grown up, and is a very mature young man who could be a great asset and future leader on our team.

Tough to say without knowing more info, how long ago did this happen, details, etc..... of course I am not sure where you read what you read and you may know alot more already. I would hope that the UD staff would make the right decision after doing their homework.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:08 PM
Major General

Charges mentioned in this article -
http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com...ill-searching/

Near the end of the comments someone finally mentioned what he was alleged to have done in August of 2009... If true, a shot from his BB gun wound up in someone's leg.

So perhaps it was an issue of immaturity and he has done some growing up.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (04-09-2014), FLYER5 (04-10-2014), Hyde Park Flyer (04-10-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 11:12 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,223 Times in 585 Posts
CvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeCvilleFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I trust Archie on this one! All I know is that none of these other schools recruiting him even made the NCAA Tournament let alone advanced to the Great 8!

Maybe Scoochie knows the kid even with the age difference.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:28 PM
Major General

Scoochie is an NYC kid but Thomas' stomping grounds are up in Westchester County, 40 miles or so north of the city, across the Hudson from West Point. With the age difference and geography, probably didn't cross paths with Scoochie much. But having NY guys like Scoochie - and particularly Allen Griffin on staff - can't hurt in relating to a recruit from that neck of the woods.

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 04-09-2014 at 11:30 PM..
Flyer 86 (04-12-2014)
Old 04-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Major General

Article about Thomas' recruitment published today:
http://www.zsmart.blogspot.com/2014/...cago-this.html

Dayton has got involved late it seems. But unlike other suitors, UD coaches were kind of busy what with making a run to the Elite 8 and all! Evidently have made enough of an impression that he's scheduling a visit though...
FLYER5 (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 08:45 AM

Maybe I missed this part, but has he already visited St. John's, or does he have a St. John's visit scheduled? They seem to be in the lead at this point, and I would imagine SJU being close to home might make him more comfortable with them.
Old 04-10-2014, 08:55 AM

Thanked 10,123 Times in 5,859 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe I missed this part, but has he already visited St. John's, or does he have a St. John's visit scheduled? They seem to be in the lead at this point, and I would imagine SJU being close to home might make him more comfortable with them.
He took an unofficial to St. John's. Not sure why they are in the lead. He may want to leave the area.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 09:18 AM
Lieutenant General

Apparently Loyola-Chicago has been recruiting him the longest, but I didn't see anywhere that any school was mentioned to be in the lead. He did say SJU seemed like a good fit - but basically that was just a comment about the minutes that are available there and he got along with the coach. But he'd find the exact same thing in Dayton and many of the other schools, so I didn't take that to mean St John's was leading... just that it's in the running.
ud2 (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 09:22 AM
Academy Doolie

Dick Dowd has a spectacular aura aboutDick Dowd has a spectacular aura about
Scoochie is an NYC kid but Thomas' stomping grounds are up in Westchester County, 40 miles or so north of the city, across the Hudson from West Point. With the age difference and geography, probably didn't cross paths with Scoochie much. But having NY guys like Scoochie - and particularly Allen Griffin on staff - can't hurt in relating to a recruit from that neck of the woods.
Westchester is right next to the Bronx and Fordham. If he wants to stay home, St. Johns is the way to go for him.
Old 04-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Brigadier General

Charges mentioned in this article -
http://varsityinsider.lohudblogs.com...ill-searching/

Near the end of the comments someone finally mentioned what he was alleged to have done in August of 2009... If true, a shot from his BB gun wound up in someone's leg.

So perhaps it was an issue of immaturity and he has done some growing up.
Alright, I'll admit it...I shot a kid with my BB gun when I was in high school. I was 2 years younger than him when I did it. The difference was that I didn't lodge a bb in the kid's leg, and I didn't get charged. I lived in the suburbs. They used the "scared straight" approach with my Dad's approval. It worked. I never shot anyone else
Old 04-10-2014, 09:42 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by Hyde Park Flyer View Post
Alright, I'll admit it...I shot a kid with my BB gun when I was in high school. I was 2 years younger than him when I did it. The difference was that I didn't lodge a bb in the kid's leg, and I didn't get charged. I lived in the suburbs. They used the "scared straight" approach with my Dad's approval. It worked. I never shot anyone else
Alot of us did alot of things when we were younger, that today you would end up being charged and maybe jailed for.

I used to keep my shotgun in my car in high school, so a buddy of mine and me could get to the woods to hunt right after school. Can you image what would happen today if a gun (even locked in the trunk of a car) was found on school grounds?
Old 04-10-2014, 10:06 AM
Major General

If you think Dayton is thin, look at St. John's. Whether you deserve playing time or not, it is readily available there. Its an absolute mess but its also an opportunity. Dayton is obviously really attractive especially now though and I think Dayton may just get him IF he makes the rumored visit. Otherwise, I can see him being convinced by a desperate Lavin to stay home or maybe Loyola since they were there first and have been calling the longest.
Old 04-10-2014, 10:15 AM
Lieutenant General

I have to think he sees the opportunity here, too. We play a lot of players, so if you are good enough to play, you'll definitely play. At the same time, we just lost our starting power forward and our starting center, and another one is transferring out. So starter minutes are also up for grabs. Guaranteed playing time, good chance at 25-30mpg. Just a question of what his priorities are...

* join an Elite 8 squad?
* stay close to home?
* guaranteed 35mpg?
Flyer 86 (04-12-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
He took an unofficial to St. John's. Not sure why they are in the lead. He may want to leave the area.
Fair enough, SJU being in the lead was just my perception after reading the links. SJU may not be in the lead, my perception may be wrong.
Closed Thread