User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-26-2015, 12:24 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
Scott and Robinson. Easy.
We already did give them up. Who on the current team? You said every day, twice on Sunday.

When we played them, Nastic (senior) had 15 points (season average: 13) against Kav (senior), Scott (sophomore), and Robinson (sophomore). The refs blew the whistle every time Nastic touched the ball, gathering 4 fouls on all 3 of our bigs. But really they blew the whistle on anyone in the paint, as Nastic also fouled out.

In the prior game Nastic had 10 points before fouling out against Kansas. Before that: 10 points and 4 fouls against New Mexico.

Senior season average: 13.4, 6.5, 1.0. That's pretty good. Not legendary, but pretty good. I would take him over the current version of Steve, but I'm not sure I'd take freshman Nastic over freshman Steve.
Advertisement
Old 08-26-2015, 03:21 PM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 10,502 Times in 4,704 Posts
San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bcross View Post
Nastic was better than any of our bigs in that Sweet 16 game. We had no answer. If he stays out of foul trouble, it might have been a different story. Really no comparison to Kurt if you watched him play.

Powell was a 2nd round draft pick, while UD hasn't had a player drafted in 25+ years. Not sure how you can sneeze at that.
Nastic fouled out in 20 minutes against us. He made 5 buckets. Kavanaugh made 5 and was still in the game when Nastic was gone. I sat eye level in Memphis. Nastic was so amped he was out of control half the time. He thought he was going to intimidate us to death. Didn't happen. Happy life in Serbia. I would take him over our felons, but nothing more than that. He might have been as good as Sean Finn. Maybe. He had puny numbers his Junior year.

You guys talk about him like he is Bobby Portis.

Powell has a chance. He's in camp with 5 centers. Let's see how that goes.
Old 08-26-2015, 04:53 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
We already did give them up. Who on the current team? You said every day, twice on Sunday.

When we played them, Nastic (senior) had 15 points (season average: 13) against Kav (senior), Scott (sophomore), and Robinson (sophomore). The refs blew the whistle every time Nastic touched the ball, gathering 4 fouls on all 3 of our bigs. But really they blew the whistle on anyone in the paint, as Nastic also fouled out.

In the prior game Nastic had 10 points before fouling out against Kansas. Before that: 10 points and 4 fouls against New Mexico.

Senior season average: 13.4, 6.5, 1.0. That's pretty good. Not legendary, but pretty good. I would take him over the current version of Steve, but I'm not sure I'd take freshman Nastic over freshman Steve.

Ahh, I got you, my bad. I thought you were talking about back at the time of the game. I do not know where Ryan Mikesell will fit in, he plays a position that we seem to have a lot of depth and could be a few years until we really see him getting a lot of playing time. While I really like the shooting that D Davis brings, he seems to be a liability on D. He also seems to lack a lot of strength. His skill set seems to be one that would be be easier to replace down the road than having a true big.
Old 08-26-2015, 05:09 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,145 Times in 598 Posts
bcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond reputebcross has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by San Diego Flyer View Post
Nastic fouled out in 20 minutes against us. He made 5 buckets. Kavanaugh made 5 and was still in the game when Nastic was gone. I sat eye level in Memphis. Nastic was so amped he was out of control half the time. He thought he was going to intimidate us to death. Didn't happen. Happy life in Serbia. I would take him over our felons, but nothing more than that. He might have been as good as Sean Finn. Maybe. He had puny numbers his Junior year.

You guys talk about him like he is Bobby Portis.

Powell has a chance. He's in camp with 5 centers. Let's see how that goes.
Not even sure where you are going with this. Stanford was +2 with Nastic in the game, while -12 with him out. His impact was obvious. Kavs/Robinson/Scott all had 4 fouls. Depth is what we had that Stanford didn't. Not sure how that makes Nastic out to be Bobby Portis?

Powell has a chance? A chance at what? The NBA? The only comment was that Nastic/Powell would have been a force in the A10. Not sure why he has to make it in the NBA to validate that comment.
Old 08-27-2015, 10:40 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Ahh, I got you, my bad. I thought you were talking about back at the time of the game. I do not know where Ryan Mikesell will fit in, he plays a position that we seem to have a lot of depth and could be a few years until we really see him getting a lot of playing time. While I really like the shooting that D Davis brings, he seems to be a liability on D. He also seems to lack a lot of strength. His skill set seems to be one that would be be easier to replace down the road than having a true big.
Totally agree at the time of the game.

Fair enough, I don't agree but follow your thinking. I personally think bigs are overvalued at this level. GREAT bigs are valuable, but average bigs (as measured by production) are less valuable than average PF's.

Confusing? Here's what I mean. An "average" big scores about 7 PPG, 4 RPG, and 1 BPG. (Total guess, correct me if you think I'm wrong.) But, he is also slow, and a liability in many phases of the game. An "average" PF might have about the same stat line, but is a better passer, more dangerous on the break, a better ball handler as a pressure release, etc.

Getting a BWS who's 6'10 isn't terribly difficult for UD. They're out there, you just generally don't want them. An average skilled 6'8" guy is about equally common for UD. So, if you are down to your last roster spot, and you can have an equal chance at the 6'8" guy who can develop broader skills, or a 6'10" guy who will achieve 4 years of being tall (which I admit you can't teach), who would you choose?

It sounds like you prefer the incremental 6'10" guy. I prefer the incremental 6'8" guy. I prefer basketball skill in my basketball players over height, vertical leap, and other "on paper" attributes. If nothing else that's what I've come to believe more strongly over the last ~15 years of UD basketball.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-04-2015), fuz_forward (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 11:50 AM
1st Lieutenant

FlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really nice
How did a 2016 recruiting thread turn into a big man breakdown and stanford v ud comparison? Anybody have updates on actual 2016 recruits?
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerNation23 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Atlantic 10 (08-27-2015), Bat'71 (08-28-2015), Bonziflyer (08-27-2015), Glen Clark (09-20-2015), IndianaFlyer (08-28-2015), jack72 (08-27-2015)
Old 08-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Major

superfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond reputesuperfan99 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by FlyerNation23 View Post
How did a 2016 recruiting thread turn into a big man breakdown and stanford v ud comparison? Anybody have updates on actual 2016 recruits?
Over 100 responses. Topic will almost always change after that many replies. It is natural with all conversation.

You may start off asking your buddy who you should pick first in the fantasy football draft, if you each talk 50 times, you could end up debating who the most valuable member of the ninja turtles was or if bowling is a real sport.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:12 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 10,038 Times in 2,599 Posts
lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
NYC guard Christian Vital is visiting next weekend, so we are basically on hold because of that. Especially since we have only 1 more schollie to give in 2016.
Old 08-27-2015, 01:34 PM
General

Originally Posted by superfan99 View Post
or if bowling is a real sport.
No. It's a leisure activity that requires a high degree of skill.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:01 PM
General of the Air Force

lhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond reputelhsgolf19 has a reputation beyond repute
Just an update... Vital is starting to pick up some more offers since Archie offered

Tulsa yesterday and SMU Just offered him today not too long ago
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (08-29-2015), San Diego Flyer (08-28-2015)
Old 08-28-2015, 03:16 PM

San Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeSan Diego Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
At least we didn't morph into a discussion of Caitlyn Jenner like the OOC thread did.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-08-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 05:21 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 2,524 Times in 1,441 Posts
UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
I read an interesting article on Ohio State football recruiting. Urban Meyer said that they have people who track teams that are great judges of talent such as Michigan State.

The point is that I will not be surprised if Archie develops that reputation and our recruits begin drawing attention because of it.
Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (08-29-2015)
Old 08-29-2015, 06:22 PM

Thanked 6,126 Times in 4,171 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UDBrian View Post
The point is that I will not be surprised if Archie develops that reputation and our recruits begin drawing attention because of it.
Seems to already be happening sort of...if Archie offers, a crowd starts to form...I think Archie offered somebody recently, and then a day or two later Providence jumped in...I bet Ed Cooley picked up on Archie's talent when coaching Team USA with him.

Last edited by ud2; 08-29-2015 at 06:26 PM..
Old 08-29-2015, 07:34 PM
Colonel

redbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud ofredbengal has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Seems to already be happening sort of...if Archie offers, a crowd starts to form...I think Archie offered somebody recently, and then a day or two later Providence jumped in...I bet Ed Cooley picked up on Archie's talent when coaching Team USA with him.
I bet Ed Cooley picked up on Archie's talent when the Flyers were systematically dismantling his club in Columbus last March. Or maybe Ed was having too many issues with folding chairs to notice.
Mad Props to redbengal For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (09-04-2015)
Old 09-04-2015, 08:58 AM
General of the Air Force

Just a reminder... UD's top remaining target is visiting this weekend (arriving today)

Christian CV Vital ‏@I_AMCV
Dayton Tomorrow ✈️

So Students on the board, if you see him on campus, show him some love lol
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ruechalgrin (09-04-2015), San Diego Flyer (09-04-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 10:47 AM
General of the Air Force

Christian CV Vital @I_AMCV

Thank You To The University Of Dayton For Showing Me Nothing But Love The Whole Weekend! Appreciate Ya #Flyers
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (09-06-2015), Atlantic 10 (09-06-2015), bobber (09-06-2015), Bonziflyer (09-06-2015), Flyer 86 (09-08-2015), flyer016 (09-06-2015), FLYER5 (09-06-2015), jack72 (09-06-2015), San Diego Flyer (09-06-2015), TommyGola (09-06-2015)
Old 09-06-2015, 12:25 PM
Brigadier General

FlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura aboutFlyerFanatic08 has a spectacular aura about
how many schollies avail for '16?
Old 09-06-2015, 01:00 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by FlyerFanatic08 View Post
how many schollies avail for '16?
Just 1 left for 2016
Old 09-06-2015, 02:26 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by lhsgolf19 View Post
Christian CV Vital @I_AMCV

Thank You To The University Of Dayton For Showing Me Nothing But Love The Whole Weekend! Appreciate Ya #Flyers
Classy Kid!
Old 09-06-2015, 02:40 PM

Classy University.
Old 09-06-2015, 06:45 PM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Video for Christian Vital - good stroke, quick feet, body under control, potential flight club member!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1iNZt4baHE
Old 09-07-2015, 11:19 AM
General of the Air Force

UDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond reputeUDBrian has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
Video for Christian Vital - good stroke, quick feet, body under control, potential flight club member!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1iNZt4baHE
He would be a great addition. Tks
Old 09-08-2015, 09:06 AM

If there is a quick resolution on Vital, it would makes sense we would hear it today. If not today, it doesn't mean we are out. Only that he is studying his options.

Tick, tick, tick....
Old 09-08-2015, 09:25 AM
General of the Air Force

If there is a quick resolution on Vital, it would makes sense we would hear it today. If not today, it doesn't mean we are out. Only that he is studying his options.

Tick, tick, tick....
He always planned on taking other visits... Sounds like his decision won't be for a while.

I saw that he planned on not signing during the early signing period, but we'll see.
Old 09-08-2015, 09:46 AM

Thanked 10,134 Times in 5,868 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Vital has very few decent offers. I am sure he is thinking, and being told, wait.
Old 09-08-2015, 11:26 AM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
He's wearing 23 in most of the clips.

#35 in a smaller number or them. Perhaps two different years.

Good jumper. Pushed off on one. Has talent.
Just hope he's not too NYC, with bad attitude. Scooch has the perfect persona. so generally i'm not a fan of NYC guys in college. Scooch is definitely an exception. He's got coolness and relaxation to his game.
Mad Props to Flyer 86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Gazoo (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Flyer 86 View Post

Just hope he's not too NYC, with bad attitude. Scooch has the perfect persona. so generally i'm not a fan of NYC guys in college. Scooch is definitely an exception. He's got coolness and relaxation to his game.
Who are all these "bad attitude" NYC kids? Our program's all time leading scorer is from NYC. And after 2 more years, the best PG to ever put on a Dayton uniform will have been from NYC. Is there some bad seed that I am forgetting? I say keep em coming.
Old 09-08-2015, 02:48 PM
General

Originally Posted by daytonflyers View Post
Who are all these "bad attitude" NYC kids? Our program's all time leading scorer is from NYC. And after 2 more years, the best PG to ever put on a Dayton uniform will have been from NYC. Is there some bad seed that I am forgetting? I say keep em coming.
Personally I assume the entire St. John's roster is from NYC along with Fordham. And they are frequently full of punks. In reality St. John only has 3 and Fordham only has 3 but it seems like a pool of bad attitudes.

But I could be wrong.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:09 PM
Captain

GoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeGoFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
I trust our coach to offer to athletes with good attitudes. He certainly has learned the consequences when he looked the other way. As for the likelihood of New York kids being "punks", I'd say the profile probably applies about equally to the youth population in all 50 states. And that population also includes some pretty fine young men and women.
Old 09-08-2015, 03:26 PM
Colonel

daytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant futuredaytonflyers has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Personally I assume the entire St. John's roster is from NYC along with Fordham. And they are frequently full of punks. In reality St. John only has 3 and Fordham only has 3 but it seems like a pool of bad attitudes.

But I could be wrong.
Pretty vague accusations there. The ghost of Ron Artest, I guess. We also have a capable assistant coach from NYC.

In my opinion, the diverse experiences NYC kids get every day helps them instead of hurting them. Many of them see all types of people from all different races, nationalities and social classes, every single day (even if its just on the subway or in public places). Kids in West Dayton (or Detroit, or fill in your typical American town/city here) usually don't get exposed to so much. That doesn't mean NYC kids are better or that all of them have such diverse experiences. But I don't think its fair to paint with such a broad brush. With that many people, there are bound to be some idiots. Archie knows how to pick em.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:39 PM
2nd Lieutenant

redscareRAM is a jewel in the roughredscareRAM is a jewel in the roughredscareRAM is a jewel in the roughredscareRAM is a jewel in the rough
I love Scooch but he has a long way to go to surpass Negele Knight as best PG to ever put on a Flyer uniform.
Mad Props to redscareRAM For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-24-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 04:42 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Vital has very few decent offers. I am sure he is thinking, and being told, wait.
I've seen reported he has as many as 18-20 offers.

Verbal Commits lists 18:
Dayton, SMU, Boston College, UNLV, VCU, George Washington, Tulsa, St. Joseph's, Rhode Island, George Mason, Fordham, Duquesne, LaSalle, Chatanooga, Northeastern, St. Peters, Fairfield and Hofstra.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/christian-vital

That list has some lesser offers and its share of A10 bottom dwellers for sure, but in my opinion, he has more than a few decent offers.
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
THirt (09-08-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 04:51 PM
General

Originally Posted by daytonflyers View Post
Pretty vague accusations there. The ghost of Ron Artest, I guess. We also have a capable assistant coach from NYC.

In my opinion, the diverse experiences NYC kids get every day helps them instead of hurting them. Many of them see all types of people from all different races, nationalities and social classes, every single day (even if its just on the subway or in public places). Kids in West Dayton (or Detroit, or fill in your typical American town/city here) usually don't get exposed to so much. That doesn't mean NYC kids are better or that all of them have such diverse experiences. But I don't think its fair to paint with such a broad brush. With that many people, there are bound to be some idiots. Archie knows how to pick em.
I admitted I could be wrong. I'm not sure how to gather stats on this one to prove one way or the other though.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:51 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by redscareRAM View Post
I love Scooch but he has a long way to go to surpass Negele Knight as best PG to ever put on a Flyer uniform.
Johnny Davis.
5 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
1in25 (09-08-2015), Bob G (09-09-2015), carlgary (09-08-2015), FLYER5 (09-10-2015), Sarge (09-09-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 06:16 PM
General of the Air Force

I think his tweat thanking dayton for all of the love says a little bit about his personality.
Old 09-08-2015, 10:17 PM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
I've seen reported he has as many as 18-20 offers.

Verbal Commits lists 18:
Dayton, SMU, Boston College, UNLV, VCU, George Washington, Tulsa, St. Joseph's, Rhode Island, George Mason, Fordham, Duquesne, LaSalle, Chatanooga, Northeastern, St. Peters, Fairfield and Hofstra.
http://www.verbalcommits.com/players/christian-vital

That list has some lesser offers and its share of A10 bottom dwellers for sure, but in my opinion, he has more than a few decent offers.
Dayton, SMU and VCU = a few. Who else?
Old 09-08-2015, 10:29 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton, SMU and VCU = a few. Who else?
UNLV has gotten some big time recruits recently. They had a down year last year, but they recruit with the big boys - had a #1 overall pick in the NBA draft a few years ago (ok, he's been a bust thus far, but is looking good for Team Canada in the recent FIBA games). Sure, Boston College has been down, but they are still in the ACC, and of course relatively close for a NYC/Connecticut guy. Rhode Island is a program on the rise, they have brought in some big time talent recently - UD was hard after EC Matthews for example. Tulsa has been solid. GW has been good lately as well.

I'd hardly qualify his list as "very few decent offers." Quite the contrary. He's got offers from almost the entire A-10, a Mountain West school, an ACC school, a couple schools out of the American Athletic Conference (which produced a national champion two short years ago) and some other northeast schools. He's said that he would like to verbal before his high school season starts. Nothing wrong with a guy taking his time and seeing what other schools have to offer. Las Vegas can certainly offer things that Dayton, OH cannot. Not necessarily things that I might want, but it might be what he's looking for.

I am always wanting UD to go after better and better recruits, but my litmus test is that if Archie wants him, I want him as a Flyer. Vital seems like he would be a very good get, and I've read nothing to suggest someone is in his ear telling him to hold out for a "better" offer.
Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
FlyerinChicago (09-09-2015)
Old 09-08-2015, 10:42 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute

This could be a thinly veiled disgust over a couple of NYC guards that played at X a few years ago. just remember, those two dolts went to X for a reason...they were punks playing for a punk program. No need to disparage all kids from NYC. Zip em up...
Old 09-09-2015, 02:20 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
PG. Jaylen Fisher is visiting UNLV this weekend, a ESPN Top 100
Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-16-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 09:02 AM
Colonel

Originally Posted by redscareRAM View Post
Negele and Davis were before my time, though I vaguely recall Negele's senior year. But wasn't he someone who had a great senior season? At his current trajectory, Scoochie could have a truly great 4 year career.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to daytonflyers For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (09-10-2015), jack72 (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 09:59 AM

Time will tell on Scooch. I saw Davis and Knight play. Davis left early and played with great players his frosh year and not so good his next two, so hard to compare him as a college player, but his stats are awesome. He was a superior athlete at a time when there were not so many. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...y-davis-1.html

Knight was awesome his senior year, and less great his first three, but very good. He redshirted after year one, so was a fifth year senior. http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/...-knight-1.html

Time will tell with Schooch, but he could even go early this year with an exceptional year.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:59 AM
1st Lieutenant

FlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really niceFlyerNation23 is just really nice
The contact period of mens basketball started so a lot of coaches are on the road with in home visits, school visits, and evaluating new talent. Besides Vitale - who is Archie looking at?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:43 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know how up to date verbal commits is, but here's a list of some (if not all) of the players that UD is seriously recruiting:

http://www.verbalcommits.com/schools/dayton
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (09-09-2015), ruechalgrin (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 01:44 PM

I see Frankie Hughes of Garfield Hts now has offers from Wisconsin and Fl St. Would love to get that kid. 6"3" combo guard, who can shoot and drive.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-24-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 02:12 PM
2nd Lieutenant

Sarge is a glorious beacon of lightSarge is a glorious beacon of lightSarge is a glorious beacon of lightSarge is a glorious beacon of lightSarge is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Johnny Davis.
And it is not even close!
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sarge For This Totally Excellent Post:
carlgary (09-09-2015), Flyer 86 (09-16-2015), FLYER5 (09-10-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 05:32 PM
2nd Lieutenant

TMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really nice
Do we forget Jim Paxson?
Old 09-09-2015, 05:45 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TMPH66 View Post
Do we forget Jim Paxson?
Jim Paxson was a point guard???
Old 09-09-2015, 05:57 PM
General of the Air Force

Adam Finkelstein ‏@AdamFinkelstein 46m46 minutes ago

Just leaving @STM_Chancellors where Archie Miller was on hand for Christian Vital.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (09-10-2015), FLYER5 (09-10-2015), ruechalgrin (09-09-2015)
Old 09-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute

Just leaving @STM_Chancellors where Archie Miller was on hand for Christian Vital.
@ASlater247: Three-star guard Christian Vital @I_AMCV of @PSACardinals is expected to be visited this week by Dayton, St.Joe's, Wichita St. & Tulsa.

Wichita State is newly involved it seems.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (09-10-2015), ruechalgrin (09-09-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 09:02 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Jim Paxson was a point guard???
Didn't he play some? I though when Harris was there, Paxson played small forward and after he left, Paxson played PG along side Zimmerman.
Old 09-10-2015, 10:24 AM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Didn't he play some? I though when Harris was there, Paxson played small forward and after he left, Paxson played PG along side Zimmerman.
Zimmerman was the pt guard on that team, Jim never played the point at UD
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Atlantic 10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-16-2015), FLYER5 (09-10-2015)
Old 09-10-2015, 10:28 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,118 Times in 1,054 Posts
Alberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond reputeAlberto Strasse has a reputation beyond repute
Point Guards

did not exist at that time. The two guard system with 3 baseline players was in vogue.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:27 PM
2nd Lieutenant

TMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really niceTMPH66 is just really nice
I stand corrected
Old 09-10-2015, 07:43 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
And it is not even close!
Not even.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:58 PM
Captain

1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold

Interesting that within minutes of Finkelstein's tweet the 2 "national recruiting experts" at 247Sports projected Vital to UD. Link:

http://247sports.com/PlayerInstituti...ertPredictions
Mad Props to 1903 Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
San Diego Flyer (09-10-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:27 AM

For those of us concerned about Archie going to NC State at some point, Gottfried just got a verbal from the #4 overall and top point guard, Dennis Smith. He surprised everyone by picking NC State over Duke, NC and KY and the rest of the free world. Smith is trying to convince his buddy, #8 overall, Bam Adebayo to also pick NC St.

Comment from one of the scribes that this 2016 class is absurdly great.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (09-12-2015), FLYER5 (09-17-2015), LI Flyer (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:37 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,355 Times in 586 Posts
College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
For those of us concerned about Archie going to NC State at some point, Gottfried just got a verbal from the #4 overall and top point guard, Dennis Smith. He surprised everyone by picking NC State over Duke, NC and KY and the rest of the free world. Smith is trying to convince his buddy, #8 overall, Bam Adebayo to also pick NC St.

Comment from one of the scribes that this 2016 class is absurdly great.

Hate to admit that I'm cheering for another coach and program to "do extremely well"---but I make an exception with NC State & there head coach at this point!
Mad Props to College B-Ball Fan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (09-11-2015)
Old 09-11-2015, 11:44 AM
2nd Lieutenant

ocdvic is a glorious beacon of lightocdvic is a glorious beacon of lightocdvic is a glorious beacon of lightocdvic is a glorious beacon of lightocdvic is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by TMPH66 View Post
I stand corrected
Originally Posted by Alberto Strasse View Post
did not exist at that time. The two guard system with 3 baseline players was in vogue.
I remember DDN's Gary Nuhn interviewing Jack Zimmerman and referring to his shorter haircut. Jack told him it was his "point guard haircut". The reason this sticks in memory is because it's the first time I ever heard the term.
Mad Props to ocdvic For This Totally Excellent Post:
Alberto Strasse (09-11-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 03:52 PM
1st Lieutenant

steve snyder is just really nicesteve snyder is just really nicesteve snyder is just really nicesteve snyder is just really nicesteve snyder is just really nice
A pedigree target name from 9/15 Indy Star

• "After an official visit to Nevada over the weekend, Cathedral senior Eron Gordon has had coaches from Dayton and Marquette in to see him this week".

Gordon is a 2016.
4 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to steve snyder For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-16-2015), flyer016 (09-15-2015), FLYER5 (09-17-2015), jack72 (09-16-2015)
Old 09-15-2015, 04:36 PM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
So a quick search tells me that Gordon was going to committ to one of a handful of schools, IU, Butler, Arizona St (where his brother used to play before transferring to IU), Nevada and others. Then he delayed his announcement to take more visits. Latest report says that he's primarily down to Nevada & IU (One sight, max preps I think) think he'll choose Nevada.

So his older brother played and stared at IU, his other brother is currently at IU, and he's delaying his announcement, kind of tells me that he has hesitation on attending IU, or perhaps IU has hesitation on giving him a committable offer. Perhaps Nevada is just too far away (don't know why his middle brother transferred from ASU to IU) and he's looking for something closer to home?

I don't know, Archie doesn't seem like one to just waste time, though is Dad is deeply involved in the Indy basketball scene, so it could be as much about establishing future relationships as it is about realistically landing the services of his younger son. Who knows.
Old 09-15-2015, 04:48 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
If nothing else visiting with Eron Gordon could put some pressure on Christian Vital to make a decision.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:28 PM
General of the Air Force

Just a reminder for everyone... Vital takes his official visit out to UNLV this weekend
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-17-2015), flyer016 (09-17-2015), FLYER5 (09-17-2015)
Old 09-16-2015, 09:38 AM

Here is an article that is a month old and says Gordon would announce in a few days. Never happened, so something going on. Article also mentions that IU had cooled on him. I think things with his brother, Eric, were not real great at IU, but then again Eric is a bit of a tool. This kid made national news when he was offered by IU as an 8th grader.
http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2015/8/...on-saturday-in
Good size and great body, can leap and go to the basket, but a low release on his outside shot, which may cause him problems in college. He certainly has several good offers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWKyC6kC-xA
Old 09-16-2015, 10:53 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
Here is an article that is a month old and says Gordon would announce in a few days. Never happened, so something going on. Article also mentions that IU had cooled on him. I think things with his brother, Eric, were not real great at IU, but then again Eric is a bit of a tool. This kid made national news when he was offered by IU as an 8th grader.
http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2015/8/...on-saturday-in
Good size and great body, can leap and go to the basket, but a low release on his outside shot, which may cause him problems in college. He certainly has several good offers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWKyC6kC-xA
Just to clear up a few things. Eric Gordon had one great year at IU. He was named B1G Freshman of the Year, First Team All-Conference, Third Team All-American, averaging 20 points a game. No idea where you get the idea he was/is a "tool." IU fans remember him fondly, though he was in Bloomington during Kelvin Samspon's brief but tumultuous tenure.

His younger brother Evan began his career at Liberty before transferring to Arizona St. and ultimately using a graduate transfer to finish his college career in Bloomington. In his one season at IU, he was considered a great teammate, but not particularly talented or impactful on the floor.

I think the reticence in the recruiting of Eron is programs trying to figure out whether he's more Eric or Evan. None of the Gordons are especially athletic, but as Eric showed you can still be exceptionally effective with a strong shot and good offensive acumen. Evan was pretty run-of-the-mill.
Old 09-16-2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by flyer016 View Post
Just to clear up a few things. Eric Gordon had one great year at IU. He was named B1G Freshman of the Year, First Team All-Conference, Third Team All-American, averaging 20 points a game. No idea where you get the idea he was/is a "tool." IU fans remember him fondly, though he was in Bloomington during Kelvin Samspon's brief but tumultuous tenure.

His younger brother Evan began his career at Liberty before transferring to Arizona St. and ultimately using a graduate transfer to finish his college career in Bloomington. In his one season at IU, he was considered a great teammate, but not particularly talented or impactful on the floor.

I think the reticence in the recruiting of Eron is programs trying to figure out whether he's more Eric or Evan. None of the Gordons are especially athletic, but as Eric showed you can still be exceptionally effective with a strong shot and good offensive acumen. Evan was pretty run-of-the-mill.
I guess we will agree to disagree. "None of the Gordon's are especially athletic"?? Eric is as athletic as you will find. You do not get picked as #7 in the draft, as a guard, unless you are very athletic. Eric was a ball and shot hog at IU, and still is. I lived in Indiana when he played there for that year. I watched most of his games, and knew a bunch of IU fans. The fans loved his scoring, but not his "me" attitude. That was a totally dysfunctional team and coach.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-16-2015), San Diego Flyer (09-17-2015)
Old 09-17-2015, 11:43 AM
Major

flyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant futureflyer016 has a brilliant future
I guess we will agree to disagree. "None of the Gordon's are especially athletic"?? Eric is as athletic as you will find. You do not get picked as #7 in the draft, as a guard, unless you are very athletic. Eric was a ball and shot hog at IU, and still is. I lived in Indiana when he played there for that year. I watched most of his games, and knew a bunch of IU fans. The fans loved his scoring, but not his "me" attitude. That was a totally dysfunctional team and coach.
No doubt the team was a mess, but I think you're mistaking the team's image with Eric Gordon's personality. This is a ridiculous Internet card to play, but you started us down this path: I'm friends with people who went to North Central with Eric, and to a man (and woman), they all talk about him in glowing terms, suggesting he's very generous and continues to make an effort to stay in touch even though he's a millionaire NBA player.

He did shoot a lot, but I think that was what was asked of him.

Regarding his athleticism, he's certainly more athletic than your typical pipe fitter, but relative the NBA, he's average-to-below-average. He lives and dies with his shot, but when navigating the court, he's more rhinoceros than gazelle. He does have a 40" vertical leap, but by simply watching a few NBA games, you'll notice his agility and fast-twitch-iness are subpar.

To return this to the topic at hand, I get the sense that Eron is more likely to be in the Evan mold. IU is said to have offered, but they're straining to put together their 2016 class (recently accepted a commitment from a kid from Crown Point whose best offer was Toledo) and if they truly wanted him would have brought him on board by now.
Old 09-19-2015, 10:13 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know how much this affects us and our pursuit of Gordon since I think Vital is likely to pick UD, but Indiana got a verbal from Curtis Jones, a 4-star wing out of Huntington Prep.

On a related note, I think it is good for fans of Archie Miller that IU remains good. At least good enough to keep Tom Crean for a while longer!
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by THirt; 09-19-2015 at 10:56 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
anthonycharles (09-19-2015), FLYER5 (09-19-2015)
Old 09-19-2015, 10:42 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by THirt View Post
I don't know how much this affects us and or pursuit of Gordon since I think Vital is likely to pick UD, but Indiana got a verbal from Curtis Jones, a 4-star wing out of Huntington Prep.

On a related note, I think it is good for fans of Archie Miller that IU remains good. At least good enough to keep Tom Crean for a while longer!
Posted via Mobile Device
At this point aren't we all fans of Archie?
Old 09-23-2015, 01:57 PM
1st Lieutenant

Some bright news might be coming: Christian Vital will be announcing his college decision tonight. He has been our #1 recruiting target for 2016. He was on campus a few weeks ago and just wrapped up a visit to UNLV.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to FlyerNation23 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (09-24-2015), flyerfanatic86 (09-23-2015), FlyerinChicago (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 02:19 PM
General of the Air Force

Will definitely be interesting us or UNLV... We need some good news after what happened this week ha
Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (09-24-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 02:26 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Flyers fans certainly need some different news given the current situation.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (09-23-2015), rollo (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 02:55 PM
Major

FlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to beholdFlyerinChicago is a splendid one to behold
Some bright news might be coming: Christian Vital will be announcing his college decision tonight. He has been our #1 recruiting target for 2016. He was on campus a few weeks ago and just wrapped up a visit to UNLV.
Hopefully his first name guides him to the right program....become a Flyer Christian!
Old 09-23-2015, 03:09 PM
Major General

College B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond reputeCollege B-Ball Fan has a reputation beyond repute
I also hope we get some good news regarding this kid. It's been pretty clear that AM and the coaches have been shown' the "love"......

Let's hope we get some good news soon!

Go Flyers!
Old 09-23-2015, 03:10 PM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Getting caught up in recruiting is always a interesting distraction, even if the player decides to go somewhere else.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-24-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 03:16 PM
Major General

Well, it seems Archie has really made this guy top priority, visiting the kid multiple times as well as having him on an official recently. So that bodes well.

But coming off a UNLV visit, I'm not optimistic. They have one scholly left, so I have to think they pressed for a committment.

In terms of the very trivial and anecdotal, I believe he follows UNLV's official account, but none of the Dayton coaches or true team accounts.

So I'll be surprised if it's Dayton. But hopefully, I am wrong!
FLYER5 (09-24-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 03:24 PM

Generally the last place a player visits has an advantage. UD and Archie and not the right place for every player they recruit. If a potential recruit decides to go somewhere else you move on to the next player.
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (09-23-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 06:42 PM
Major

Iguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to beholdIguomaniac is a splendid one to behold
Christian Vital committed to UNLV: https://twitter.com/I_AMCV/status/646815892156887040
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Iguomaniac For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (09-24-2015), flyer016 (09-23-2015), FLYER5 (09-24-2015)
Old 09-23-2015, 08:25 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 4,994 Times in 2,668 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
OK, lost-out on that one. Next!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-23-2015, 11:55 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
Boy...what a crappy week for AM. Yes, he makes a good amount of coin but this job of his has to be extremely frustrating some times.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to springborofan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (09-24-2015), Glen Clark (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 07:43 AM
General of the Air Force

You never know for sure about recruiting it might end up being a lucky day for archie in the long run
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDBrian For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-11-2015), FLYER5 (09-24-2015)
Old 09-24-2015, 12:43 PM
General

Thanked 1,267 Times in 785 Posts
Flyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer 86 has a reputation beyond repute
Back to the Point Guard discussion.

Have to say, some have nailed it.

Johnny Davis
Negele Knight
Scoochie

Scooch may likely be the most well rounded of the 3. I suspect he ups his scoring a few digits this season. And plays solid A/T ratio - leading the team.
Old 09-25-2015, 06:01 PM
Captain

RamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud ofRamodWaleskowski has much to be proud of
UD offers Xeyrius Williams' teammate

Zach Fleer ‏@ZachFleerLGHL 1h1 hour ago

'16 Huber Heights Wayne SG Trey Landers has received an offer from Dayton, per a source.

He is 6'5" 200
Just to be clear, Landers is not a single centimeter over 6'3".
Mad Props to RamodWaleskowski For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (11-11-2015)
Old 09-26-2015, 01:21 PM
Brigadier General

FLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond reputeFLYER5 has a reputation beyond repute
Back to the Point Guard discussion.

Have to say, some have nailed it.

Johnny Davis
Negele Knight
Scoochie

Scooch may likely be the most well rounded of the 3. I suspect he ups his scoring a few digits this season. And plays solid A/T ratio - leading the team.
Agreed,, and that second position remains very fluid while Scoochie is in Red and Blue. Go Flyers!
Old 10-07-2015, 10:33 PM
1st Lieutenant

2016 4 star point guard Jaylen Fisher committed to UNLV today. With the new commit, UNLV is 1 over the allowed scholarship limit. Maybe they are counting on somebody transferring or were not expecting both to commit... Would Vitale reconsider Dayton?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 PM

Has Archie moved on from Vitale?
Old 10-08-2015, 08:23 AM
Major General

Has Archie moved on from Vitale?
Since Vital has pledged elsewhere, I would assume that yes Archie has moved on. He shouldn't be in the ear of committed recruits. If the kids reopens his recruitment, then he is fair game of course.
FLYER5 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:39 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Since Vital has pledged elsewhere, I would assume that yes Archie has moved on. He shouldn't be in the ear of committed recruits. If the kids reopens his recruitment, then he is fair game of course.
I agree, but that is not how the game is played now. If a coach really wants a kid, they will recruit the kid up until he signs unless the recruit totally shut down their recruitment. Kids these days never seem to do that. Many take multiple visits to other schools and official visits even after committing to a school. We have been very lucky that this has not happened here, but this is a very common thing in college recruiting now, especially for football.
Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 08:53 AM
Brigadier General

I beg to differ, Dallas. If Archie finds a player late (for whatever reason) who he sees as a fit in his system, while (maybe) seeing the player is about to sign with a program who won't bring out his potential because of style obstacles in the wrong system, I say, go for him. Verbal commits are fair game imo.. If the Flyer recruit has that doubt then I also doubt he is All Flyer. Archie has that sixth sense about, well, everything basketball, so I am completely comfortable with him opening up our program to the same treatment by other programs. So who would want to leave Archie's team for a late sales pitch by another program, right? Right.

Last edited by FLYER5; 10-08-2015 at 09:33 AM..
Old 10-08-2015, 09:58 AM

What I was referring to is the scenario where Arch does a full court press on a recruit and loses. From that point on I think Miller is the kind of coach that shuts down the whole process as regards that recruit. Hard to believe but there are many coaches that honor a kid's verbal unless he is an Emanual Muidiay. Vitale is no where near that class of player.

And another point is that if UNLV brings in another great player at the same position, would I want a recruit that shuns the internal competition without even hitting the floor? That would turn a few coaches off.
Mad Props to San Diego Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 12:20 PM
Major

Bucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond reputeBucketnight has a reputation beyond repute
It is easy enough to check in with player's HS coach and/or AAU coach to see if the commitment level has changed especially if a college coach is a good recruiter with solid ties to those coaches.
Mad Props to Bucketnight For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (10-08-2015)
Old 10-08-2015, 02:50 PM
Major General

I agree, but that is not how the game is played now. If a coach really wants a kid, they will recruit the kid up until he signs unless the recruit totally shut down their recruitment. Kids these days never seem to do that. Many take multiple visits to other schools and official visits even after committing to a school. We have been very lucky that this has not happened here, but this is a very common thing in college recruiting now, especially for football.
Kids verbally commit to secure their spot and to put an end to middle aged men blowing their phones up. If a kid expresses doubt, you talk to the kid, but otherwise you aren't recruiting him. Maybe you check up on him. I don't know, but it just doesn't make sense that coaches wouldn't put the brakes on and focus on kids who aren't committed.
Old 10-16-2015, 01:13 PM
1st Lieutenant

Derrick Daniels (2016 from Thurgood Marshall) has committed to Miami (OH). Did our interest in Daniels drop off? I remember hearing about DD when he was a Freshman/Soph in High school and he had a ton of hype. Did he not live up to it?
Mad Props to FlyerNation23 For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyer016 (10-16-2015)
Old 10-16-2015, 01:45 PM
Major

Derrick Daniels (2016 from Thurgood Marshall) has committed to Miami (OH). Did our interest in Daniels drop off? I remember hearing about DD when he was a Freshman/Soph in High school and he had a ton of hype. Did he not live up to it?
I think that's a pretty fair assessment. Physical specimen, but the skills haven't come around just yet. Certainly has the athletic ability to develop into an All-MAC caliber player.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:02 AM

I see Frankie Hughes of Garfield Hts now has offers from Wisconsin and Fl St. Would love to get that kid. 6"3" combo guard, who can shoot and drive.
Frankie Hughes commits to Louisville. Cannot resist those strippers. Final list did not include UD, but did include St Joe's.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:16 AM

watching the Hawk strip out of the costume is probably not as exciting.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
bobber (10-22-2015), Flyer 86 (11-11-2015), jack72 (10-22-2015)
Old 10-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
watching the Hawk strip out of the costume is probably not as exciting.
I HATE that fricken' hawk!
Old 11-11-2015, 01:16 PM

Thanked 1,403 Times in 429 Posts
Flyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer Al has a reputation beyond repute
Any news on Landers signing today?
Old 11-11-2015, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flyer Al View Post
Have not heard, but Wayne is picked as #9 in the nation by USAToday.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (11-12-2015), rollo (11-12-2015)
Old 11-11-2015, 03:13 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer Al View Post
Look for it early tomorrow morning
Mad Props to UD62 For This Totally Excellent Post:
College B-Ball Fan (11-11-2015)
Old 11-12-2015, 10:32 AM
General of the Air Force

Trey has signed

Dayton True Team✈️ ‏@DaytonTrueTeam 5m5 minutes ago

Welcome to #TrueTeam @LandersTrey! https://www.instagram.com/p/9_VqktphuA/
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to lhsgolf19 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-31-2015), flyrsmedic (03-23-2016), Glen Clark (11-14-2015), jack72 (11-12-2015), NorthwestFlyer (11-12-2015), rollo (11-12-2015)