Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 03-18-2015, 11:10 AM
2nd Lieutenant

sw368407 is a glorious beacon of lightsw368407 is a glorious beacon of lightsw368407 is a glorious beacon of lightsw368407 is a glorious beacon of lightsw368407 is a glorious beacon of light
Syracuse just announced the AD is resigning and Boeheim is retiring in 3 years. Huge news.

Fordham just fired their head coach as well.
Advertisement
Old 03-18-2015, 11:26 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,234 Times in 1,038 Posts
priceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond reputepriceg75 has a reputation beyond repute
If Fordham can retain their players and get a coach that can get team and defensive buy-in, they could be scary next year.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:32 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,302 Times in 3,005 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Fordham is a long term rebuild. They need to upgrade facilities and change the culture and expectations. My thought is that it is a 5-6 job to turn things around. A coach really needs to make the administration upgrade the facilities as part of signing on.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:46 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,459 Times in 777 Posts
Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Fordham has had one winning season in 20 years as a member of the A10. It's simply not a good fit. They need to reevaluate their program and look for another conference.
Old 03-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Brigadier General

Hyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeHyde Park Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Wow. Fordham hasn't won a game in the NCAA since 1971. They've only won 2 games in the NIT since 1968. It would be a long term rebuild if there was any commitment to the program. You can't have these results and attract any coaching talent.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:14 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Do they really think just firing their coach and hiring a new one is gonna change anything? They have a management problem, not a coaching problem.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-18-2015), jack72 (03-18-2015)
Old 03-18-2015, 12:31 PM
Major

ScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
article on Gregg Marshall

"My mentor used to always say, 'Coach where you're loved,'" Marshall said. "He got a lot of satisfaction out of walking down the street when people would say, 'There's the coach' or 'He's a great coach.' He always got a lot of satisfaction out of that kind of stuff."

"And I'm assuming you feel loved in Wichita?" I asked Marshall.

"Oh yeah," he answered without hesitation. "I do."

Marshall's mentor, by the way, is John Kresse, and if the goal is to understand Marshall even a little it's important to familiarize yourself with Kresse' story. Kresse retired in 2002 after 23 seasons at Charleston during which he compiled a record of 560-143. He owns the fifth-highest winning percentage among all Division I men's basketball coaches and is an iconic figure in the place where he flourished professionally, and what you realize after spending time with Marshall, regardless of whether Marshall realizes it or not, is that the things that mattered to Kresse are, for the most part, the exact same things that now matter to Marshall.

Kresse liked being loved; so does Marshall. Kresse craved a place where what he did resonated uniquely; so does Marshall. Kresse was forever hesitant to mess with happiness -- as is Marshall, which is why he's only changed jobs once in 17 years."

"Will he ultimately leave?

That's the question Marshall gets asked more than any other. And the refreshing thing is that he's not one of the countless coaches who gives a non-answer while suggesting -- but hardly guaranteeing -- he'll retire at his current school. Simply put, Marshall has no idea what the future holds, and he admits as much. All he promises is that he'll never leave simply for money, never leave for a middle-of-the-pack power-conference job and never leave without considering everything a man considering relocating his family ought to consider."

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...marshalls-plan

I also liked this quote:

"One place, and I don't want to say which place, but one place offered me so much money and I basically just told them, 'I don't care how much money there is; that money won't help me sleep when I'm losing,'" Marshall said. "Winning is what I really like to do. I'm fine financially. My drug is winning."
Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 PM
Major General

Thanked 2,248 Times in 1,129 Posts
Bat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond reputeBat'71 has a reputation beyond repute
I feel bad for Coach Pecora getting the ax at Fordham. He actually got some good recruits during his tenure and this year's team did seem to start to gel toward the end of the season. I agree with the other Posters; this isn't so much a coaching issue at Fordham as it is a facilities and commitment issue on the part of the University to it's BB program.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:04 PM
Brigadier General

I view it as a more difficult position for Fordham than a team jumping from Dii to Di. Fordham has to fight its history, which is worse than having no history. No fan base. Horrible facilities. No on court success. They need to smell the java and move back to the Patriot or an equivalent conference.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:06 PM
Major

ScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud ofScottyExpress has much to be proud of
Yes, feel bad for Coach P. Does Fordham have the resources to build new facilities, or do they just not care? I would assume they have some well to do alumni.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:18 PM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
They fight 2 problems in terms of building new facilities, 1st, there is little real estate available in the area that isn't already developed, 2nd the cost of that real estate is very pricey.

Getting new facilities is a challenge for many East Coast schools in big cities. GW, LaSalle, Nova, Georgetown, St Johns, Seton Hall, etc... all have the same challenges, the Big east schools got the benefit of forming the Big East back in the 80s and growing fan bases large enough to justify renting out NBA arenas for their games. The A10 schools don't have that luxury.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:37 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bat'71 View Post
I feel bad for Coach Pecora getting the ax at Fordham. He actually got some good recruits during his tenure and this year's team did seem to start to gel toward the end of the season. I agree with the other Posters; this isn't so much a coaching issue at Fordham as it is a facilities and commitment issue on the part of the University to it's BB program.
Not saying Fordham doesn't need to upgrade its facilities and approach but Pecora has had good recruits every year. He never has been able to get them to play good ball.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:49 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,043 Times in 451 Posts
Whacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond reputeWhacker has a reputation beyond repute
The problem every coach I've watched at Fordham is they think they can recruit themselves out of the basement. That is not going to work there. Unless they are going about it in an unconventional manner such as internationals, jucos or under valued skill sets. When they are chasing the same kids that 100+ other schools are also pursuing those schools have better everything in comparison.

The second problem every Fordham coach, except Whittenburg had (and he actually had a double-digit win season) is they have no identifiable system and no committment to defense. I don't know if that's because they don't think they can recruit to it or what. To win at Fordham you need a coach that can win with a defense-first philosophy that will bring in unheralded and under-recruited kids that want to kill themsleves to win. A system guy that can change the culture incrementally.

Once you establish Fordham as a tougher program that will guard you every possession, then you start to incrementally improve the recruiting pool, but still only bringing in guys that align with your philosophy. Then, and only then, do take a chance on a talented, but maybe over-hyped prima donnas, because there's someone on the bench pushing them for their spot.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:20 PM

Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Whacker View Post
The second problem every Fordham coach, except Whittenburg had (and he actually had a double-digit win season) is they have no identifiable system and no committment to defense. I don't know if that's because they don't think they can recruit to it or what. To win at Fordham you need a coach that can win with a defense-first philosophy that will bring in unheralded and under-recruited kids that want to kill themsleves to win. A system guy that can change the culture incrementally.
Yep. Thats why it is at a minimum 5-6 turnaround. Have to change the culture and then recruit the players to succeed in that culture. They don't need to worry about hanging on to current players. They had as much success with Nick Macarchuk coaching non-scholarship Patriot League players as they have had since.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:28 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,165 Times in 2,722 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
WLW was talking about the NKU coach getting fired. NKU went from D2 to D1 about 5 years ago and they were .500 in the league this year. Not bad for a newbie that has only been around for a few years. What coach wants to go there? I know they will find someone but are their expectations unreasonable given the circumstances?
Old 03-18-2015, 02:36 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,956 Times in 534 Posts
shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Rumor du jour on among Alabama and Indiana people has Crean possibly resigning to take the Alabama job. Obviously just a rumor, but certainly would be an interesting move.
Old 03-18-2015, 02:51 PM

Thanked 10,176 Times in 5,904 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Announced today, that Boeheim will retire in three years, and the AD is demoted.
Old 03-18-2015, 03:05 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,043 Times in 2,687 Posts
T-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond reputeT-Bone 84 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by priceg75 View Post
Verbals are as solid as the paper they're written on.
Been saying that at work for over a decade. Usually, right after someone on our management team says, "But he/she told me they were going to (fill-in-the-blank)!", and I respond with "Did you get that in writing? Because a verbal agreement is as good as the paper it's printed on."

Great minds think alike, priceg75!
Old 03-19-2015, 12:21 AM

Except the men who run Fordham keep making the same mistake: They keep changing basketball coaches – almost all of whom have won elsewhere (such as Pecora, and his .552 winning percentage at Hofstra) – without changing the way the school conducts its basketball business. And until that happens, the results will stay precisely where they are. If they’re lucky.

http://nypost.com/2015/03/18/fordham...s-replacement/
Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bat'71 (03-19-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 03:41 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

mikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud ofmikeymo85 has much to be proud of
Oliver Purnell to Fordham?
Old 03-19-2015, 03:44 AM
Colonel

Thanked 1,409 Times in 577 Posts
anthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond reputeanthonycharles has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mikeymo85 View Post
Oliver Purnell to Fordham?
I would like to think OP is too smart for that. Of course, money talks, especially for OP.

Last edited by anthonycharles; 03-19-2015 at 03:52 AM..
Old 03-19-2015, 09:21 AM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
I dunno. OP took the job at DePaul, which is a no win situation
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2015, 10:06 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Team has four freshman and a sophomore and a 6'10" kid, who sat out all year because of injury, returning. Issue was whether to give Pecora one more year and say "do something." However, there were in-game coaching issues and the decision was made not to renew. Fordham has formed a "search committee." NY Daily News had an article about it and there is a highly rated NYC high school coach (not Hurley) who is interested and coached two of the Fordham freshman in high school. I would reach out to Bob Hurley at Buffalo and see if there is any interest in coming home.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Major

Bill Elwood has a spectacular aura aboutBill Elwood has a spectacular aura about
[QUOTE=Flyer68;401852]Team has four freshman and a sophomore and a 6'10" kid, who sat out all year because of injury, returning. Issue was whether to give Pecora one more year and say "do something." However, there were in-game coaching issues and the decision was made not to renew. Fordham has formed a "search committee." NY Daily News had an article about it and there is a highly rated NYC high school coach (not Hurley) who is interested and coached two of the Fordham freshman in high school. I would reach out to Bob Hurley at Buffalo and see if there is any interest in coming home.[/QUOT

TP was signed through 2017, so someone has to buy him out. Honestly have never known how Fordham does it - must be one helluva subsidy coming from the university budget to keep all of their athletic teams afloat, as they have no main athletics revenue engine.
Old 03-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,198 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute
I'm sure Bob Hurley Jr. has no interest in Fordham. He's going to be mentioned for other bigger programs.
Old 03-19-2015, 08:23 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Flyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyer68 has a reputation beyond repute
Word from a friend with inside Fordham connections is that Fordham will indeed reach out to Bob Hurley and someone named someone named Dooley but I do not know who he is. Of course, if all inside information was correct, we would all be rich and \ or indicted for insider trading. See Michael Milligan and Gordon Gecco !!!
Old 03-19-2015, 08:42 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 3,077 Times in 1,230 Posts
NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
Word from a friend with inside Fordham connections is that Fordham will indeed reach out to Bob Hurley and someone named someone named Dooley
Maybe Joe Dooley coach of Florida Gulf Coast University and a former assistant at Kansas
I also think he played at GW but doesn't seem he's done enough to warrant going after
Old 03-19-2015, 09:10 PM
Colonel

shapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond reputeshapanud has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by NCkevi View Post
Maybe Joe Dooley coach of Florida Gulf Coast University and a former assistant at Kansas
I also think he played at GW but doesn't seem he's done enough to warrant going after
Dooley was fired after four seasons as coach of East Carolina in the late 1990s, so maybe he would fit right in at Fordham.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:15 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,029 Times in 766 Posts
jumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond reputejumpin' joe has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Flyer68 View Post
Word from a friend with inside Fordham connections is that Fordham will indeed reach out to Bob Hurley and someone named someone named Dooley but I do not know who he is. Of course, if all inside information was correct, we would all be rich and \ or indicted for insider trading. See Michael Milligan and Gordon Gecco !!!
"Hang down your head Tom Dooley. Hang down your head and cry. Hang down your head Tom Dooley. Poor boy you're bound to die..."

Seems appropriate for the Fordham "so called" basketball program.
Mad Props to jumpin' joe For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-20-2015)
Old 03-19-2015, 09:22 PM
Lieutenant General

NCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond reputeNCkevi has a reputation beyond repute
There is also Bill Dooley who coached at Richmond and now an assistant at Hartford

Last edited by NCkevi; 03-19-2015 at 09:29 PM..
Mad Props to NCkevi For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-21-2015, 02:04 AM
Captain

1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold1903 Flyer is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by shapanud View Post
Rumor du jour on among Alabama and Indiana people has Crean possibly resigning to take the Alabama job. Obviously just a rumor, but certainly would be an interesting move.
Just read that Crean's BUYOUT IS $10.6 MILLION DOLLARS if IU fires him before July 1st. So from a financial or basketball stature standpoint I can't see him resigning. Source: http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=12525870
Old 03-21-2015, 02:23 PM

Thanked 6,178 Times in 4,206 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Mississippi State coach Rick Ray is out.
Old 03-23-2015, 10:45 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...-howland-coach

Wow, Mississippi State is reportedly about to hire Ben Howland.

I thought that he would hold out for a bigger job.

Great hire by Miss State, Howland's been very successful.

More competition for Andy Kennedy I guess.

Well, that is one school that is no longer a threat to take Archie.

Last edited by ud2; 03-23-2015 at 11:11 AM..
Old 03-23-2015, 01:31 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
I'm not sure there are going to be that many jobs open at programs where it's a given you can win. IU if Crean leaves is about it.

Texas maybe if they decide to cut Barnes loose.

I don't put Bama in that group.

All the other upper echelon seemed to advance far enough.

Target #1 will be Marshall.
Old 03-23-2015, 01:31 PM
Staff Writer

Thanked 6,945 Times in 2,942 Posts
Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Howland takes the Mississippi State job. Someone quipped he is the first person in America to ever move from Santa Barbara to Starkville.
Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-23-2015, 03:12 PM

Looks like ol' FU will be starting over from scratch once again

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein
Fordham's Eric Paschall will transfer, per the school. Three years of eligibility remaining. Long line for this one.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:23 PM

Arizona State hc Herb Sendek is meeting with his AD this morning, he could potentially get fired. Significant in that he is AM's college coach, and AM coached under him at NCSU and ASU.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-anderson-meet

Last edited by ud2; 03-24-2015 at 01:41 PM..
Old 03-24-2015, 12:32 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,198 Times in 584 Posts
Bill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond reputeBill McPeek has a reputation beyond repute

Fordham's Eric Paschall will transfer, per the school. Three years of eligibility remaining. Long line for this one.
I posted about this in the thread Potential transfers and spring recruits. Here is a link to the NY Post article:

http://nypost.com/2015/03/23/fordham...g-to-transfer/

I met Eric's father at the Fordham game this year....he didn't seem happy about what was going on at Rose Hill. If you are interested in Mr. Paschall's comments go to the other thread.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:09 PM

Sendek fired today. ASU had negotiated an extension with him in December.

They must have complete idiots running their athletic department.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Sea Bass For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-24-2015), Bill McPeek (03-24-2015), rollo (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 01:32 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Sendek fired today. ASU had negotiated an extension with him in December.

They must have complete idiots running their athletic department.
same conference as sean (pac 12), tempe is 111 miles from tucson. after doing his college coach like that, surely archie has no interest in ASU, right?

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...sketball-coach

Archie was on Sendek's staff at ASU from 2006-07. from his bio:

He returned to NC State, first as Director of Basketball Operations (2004-05), and then as a full-time assistant coach (2005-06). When Sendek went to Arizona State in 2006-07, Miller remained on his coaching staff before joining Thad Matta at Ohio State for two seasons (2007-09).

Last edited by Columbia Blue; 03-24-2015 at 01:35 PM..
Old 03-24-2015, 01:37 PM
Staff Writer

Swampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond reputeSwampy Meadows has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
After doing his college coach like that, surely Archie has no interest in ASU, right?
Exactamundo

NFW Archie would even look at ASU after they dumped his mentor.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Swampy Meadows For This Totally Excellent Post:
Avid Flyer (03-24-2015), Flyer 86 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 01:39 PM
General

Thanked 4,539 Times in 2,056 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Herb Sendek will land on his feet - it is a merry-go-round . . .

Old 03-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
Exactamundo

NFW Archie would even look at ASU after they dumped his mentor.
I saw a quote that Archie would like to play his brother in the NCAA tournament, but no home to home. Means no PAC 12 job
Old 03-24-2015, 01:50 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Atlantic 10 View Post
I saw a quote that Archie would like to play his brother in the NCAA tournament, but no home to home. Meaning no PAC 12
I too would like to see Archie coach against his brother, like the final for all the bragging rights.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-24-2015)
Old 03-24-2015, 03:03 PM

I would be interested in Paschal. He could be really good with a cast around him, and some development.

I'd be all for one of the two open going there.

One caveat, uncertain on the A10 transfer rules. Some have 2 year sit outs, not certain the A10 does (like the Big 10)
Old 03-24-2015, 04:30 PM
Staff Writer

ASU going after former VCU Head Coach and current Duke Assistant Jeff Capel:

Old 03-24-2015, 05:20 PM

Hoopdirt is reporting that Texas AD Steve Patterson and hc Rick Barnes are going to meet sometime this week to discuss his future...the meeting is "imminent"...
Old 03-24-2015, 07:02 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Alabama is reportedly planning to offer Gregg Marshall in excess of 3 million per year.
Old 03-24-2015, 07:44 PM
Captain

Schraff01 will become famous soon enoughSchraff01 will become famous soon enough

Wish they would find a way to get Fordham and Duquesne out of the A10
Old 03-25-2015, 08:45 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Swampy Meadows View Post
ASU going after former VCU Head Coach and current Duke Assistant Jeff Capel:

Coach K said last night that AS had not contacted him about Capel, but some other schools had.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:42 AM

Charlotte has hired former GT and Cav star Mark Price as their new coach.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:44 AM

Not shocked but I bet Depaul is. My guess is that they have not yet figured out that the job really isn't all that.

"University at Buffalo men's basketball head coach Bobby Hurley has signed an extension to remain head coach of the Bulls, according to Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News".

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index...epaul_job.html
Old 03-25-2015, 09:51 AM

BTW, the problem Depaul has is that it is not a destination job (UD is not likely either, its why they have hired assistants the last two times). My guess is a guy like Hurley realizes that he can go directly from Buffalo to a much better job than Depaul without a stop in between.

Depaul, St Johns, etc have not figured out who they are and where they fit in the current landscape, their still think this is the 80s.

Why leave a good job with security unless you are going to a destination job?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:03 AM
General

Thanked 4,343 Times in 2,135 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
Not shocked but I bet Depaul is. My guess is that they have not yet figured out that the job really isn't all that.

"University at Buffalo men's basketball head coach Bobby Hurley has signed an extension to remain head coach of the Bulls, according to Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News".

http://www.syracuse.com/axeman/index...epaul_job.html
If DePaul is shocked, they haven't learned their lesson very well. How many decent profile coaches have turned down the gig in the last decade plus? I know several Duke assistants have, Gregory turned down the job on two different occasions, once while he was still an assistant, once while he was at UD.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Medford For This Totally Excellent Post:
flyerfanatic86 (03-25-2015), rollo (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:15 AM
Major General

DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Bobby Hurley has not signed the extension agreement at Buffalo and still plans to interview for the DePaul job.

@adamzagoria Can confirm @GoodmanESPN per source that @BobbyHurley11 has not signed anything at Buffalo and still plans to interview at DePaul.

http://zagsblog.com/articles/bobby-h...or-depaul-job/
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:25 AM

Thanked 15,915 Times in 6,996 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by DallasFlyer View Post
Bobby Hurley has not signed the extension agreement at Buffalo and still plans to interview for the DePaul job.

It's called 'leverage'.
jack72 (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:33 AM

I have a question: where is DePaul getting all of this money from? How can they afford $2 mil per year? Their attendance is reportedly very poor.

Deep-pocketed alums?

I bet almost all of the BE coaches aren't getting paid $2 mil per year, unless OP was a one time exception and the next coach will get paid less.

Villanova I think is over $2 mil, Georgetown maybe. Marquette I doubt it for a rookie hc.

Last edited by ud2; 03-25-2015 at 11:36 AM..
Old 03-25-2015, 11:38 AM
Major General

Found this on another site - info from a couple seasons ago:

1. Jay Wright - Villanova - $2,290,346
2. John Thompson III - Georgetown - $2,211,250
3. Oliver Purnell - DePaul - $2,192,385
4. Buzz Williams - Marquette - $1,105,203 in base and $631,250 paid to "Team Buzz Williams L.P." or $1,736,453
5. Steve Lavin - St. John's - $1,413,952
6. Greg McDermott - Creighton - $1,369,949
7. Keno Davis - Providence - $889,930 (obviously Ed Cooley is the coach now but I would suspect it'll be something similar to this)
8. Brad Stevens - Butler - $853,397
9. Kevin Willard - Seton Hall - $722,509
10. Chris Mack - Xavier - $484,399 (I am sure he's getting paid more than this, but this is what was in the return)
Mad Props to DallasFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
ud2 (03-27-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 12:52 PM
Colonel

Atlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud ofAtlantic 10 has much to be proud of

4. Buzz Williams - Marquette - $1,105,203 in base and $631,250 paid to "Team Buzz Williams L.P." or $1,736,453
7. Keno Davis - Providence - $889,930 (obviously Ed Cooley is the coach now but I would suspect it'll be something similar to this)
10. Chris Mack - Xavier - $484,399 (I am sure he's getting paid more than this, but this is what was in the return)
This is more than a couple of seasons maybe 4
Old 03-25-2015, 01:54 PM
Major General

Yeah, but the range - 500K to 2.3 million is probably about right. A10 I am sure is a little lower on both ends.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:00 PM

rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not surprised that Mack's 'package' is the smallest of all BE coaches...and am certain, based on playing and coaching style, that Archie's next one will dwarf everyone on this list except, probably, JT III.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:11 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,088 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
I'm not surprised that Mack's 'package' is the smallest of all BE coaches...and am certain, based on playing and coaching style, that Archie's next one will dwarf everyone on this list except, probably, JT III.
I heard that Mack make's more based on a package he has in place.

You know .... he gets so much incentive money based upon keeping his players on the court and not IN COURT.

He gets more money so he can provide bail for any 'misunderstanding' off the court.

And finally,

he gets paid extra as the Hamilton County Probation Officer ...
Mad Props to NJFlyr71 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (03-26-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by NJFlyr71 View Post
I heard that Mack make's more based on a package he has in place.
I wasn't talking about his financial package being the smallest...
TommyGola (03-25-2015), Viperstick (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 08:05 PM
Major General

Thanked 1,918 Times in 1,088 Posts
NJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond reputeNJFlyr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Dam! slam dunked that one!
Old 03-25-2015, 08:23 PM
Colonel

Interesting hire by Charlotte: former Ga Tech player and current Charlotte Hornet assistant coach Mark Price. I wonder if some at Ga Tech wished Price would have waited a year or so until the Ga Tech job may open up.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:29 PM
Major General

Interesting hire by Charlotte: former Ga Tech player and current Charlotte Hornet assistant coach Mark Price. I wonder if some at Ga Tech wished Price would have waited a year or so until the Ga Tech job may open up.
Ga Tech can just hire him away from Charlotte probably in a year.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:38 PM
Lieutenant General

Ga Tech can just hire him away from Charlotte probably in a year.
Seems that the money they saved by firing BG a year later would be lost with having to buy out Prices contract (a reported 5 year deal) from Charlotte

Last edited by NCkevi; 03-25-2015 at 10:41 PM..
Old 03-25-2015, 11:05 PM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
Mark Price is one class guy and one of the best shooters in the history of the game. I am certain he would relish an opportunity to coach at his alma mater, Georgia Tech.
Mad Props to TommyGola For This Totally Excellent Post:
Iguomaniac (03-25-2015)
Old 03-25-2015, 11:41 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
I doubt that they will pull the trigger on either of those guys.
Pecora had FU playing pretty good at the end of the year, and they have a good core of young players. IMHO, for a school that appears to not want to spend big bucks on basketball, they will likely stay status quo.
And in Mason's case, they will not want to pay the big bucks to get rid of the current coach. Can do that in a year or two. They are also young and have some talent. A couple of good recruits could raise them to respectability.
Hummmm - zero for 2... not a very good batting average.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 AM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TommyGola View Post
Mark Price is one class guy and one of the best shooters in the history of the game. I am certain he would relish an opportunity to coach at his alma mater, Georgia Tech.
Price currently is a Hornets assistant. I don't know what his family situation is but this way he doesn't have to move. The bar at UNCC will be a lot lower than at GT. Better to start somewhere he can feel his way into the college coaching game and decide if it is for him before he gets himself into a difficult situation.
Old 03-26-2015, 08:27 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Hurley has now re-upped with Buffalo. St. Johns and Lavin to meet re contract extension of possibly up to 5 years.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:07 AM
Colonel

Gary Parish is reporting the Donnie Tyndall is out after only one year as Tennessee coach because of violations committed while he was coach of Southern Miss. Biggest opening of the year so far so it will be interesting to see what names surface for this job.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...sketball-coach
Old 03-27-2015, 08:53 AM

Tennessee has swung and missed a lot in the 2 searches to replace Pearl and Martin.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:00 AM
General of the Air Force

Not saying they won't change their mind now or in the future but Archie and Shaka are in the category of the guys making $1M+ that someone like an Alabama would throw $2-3M at. Who else is in the category - that is coaches that a big school would pay big money to get?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
Not saying they won't change their mind now or in the future but Archie and Shaka are in the category of the guys making $1M+ that someone like an Alabama would throw $2-3M at. Who else is in the category - that is coaches that a big school would pay big money to get?
Few ... and far between.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:15 AM
Major General

Thanked 1,740 Times in 1,012 Posts
steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
I think the variance between 1M+ you speak of and what they are actually making (package and all) has to be narrowed down here.....Do you (or anyone) know what AM's salary, alone, is now? What his package is? I would strictly guess his "total package" is now at 2mm a year and versus one at 2.5mm+ you speak of is not that much of a difference to start over at a new program, move the familiy, etc.....Plus, adding in the cost of living at a major metropolis or booming economic area shrinks down that $$ even more..
Old 03-27-2015, 09:21 AM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by steve View Post
I think the variance between 1M+ you speak of and what they are actually making (package and all) has to be narrowed down here.....Do you (or anyone) know what AM's salary, alone, is now? What his package is? I would strictly guess his "total package" is now at 2mm a year and versus one at 2.5mm+ you speak of is not that much of a difference to start over at a new program, move the familiy, etc.....Plus, adding in the cost of living at a major metropolis or booming economic area shrinks down that $$ even more..
I was trying to keep Archie out of it. I know Gregg Marshall is one rumored for Alabama and possibly Texas if it becomes available. I just wondered who else is in that category. Dana Altaman got a boatload from Oregon a couple of years ago. I believe the Texas's, IU's, etc. will open up the purse for the right guy but they would not pay that to an unknown.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:22 AM
Colonel

This was a good move by the university on Archies extension. I bet the buyout, if another school comes calling ,is very high.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:27 AM
Major General

steve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond reputesteve has a reputation beyond repute
This was a good move by the university on Archies extension. I bet the buyout, if another school comes calling ,is very high.
I'm sure AM had plenty to say about the buyout....All coaches, even the true blue, basketball Jones', blue-collar guys like AM, want those "out" clauses should that dream job or outlandish salary get thrust upon them..
Mad Props to steve For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 09:29 AM
Colonel

I was trying to keep Archie out of it. I know Gregg Marshall is one rumored for Alabama and possibly Texas if it becomes available. I just wondered who else is in that category. Dana Altaman got a boatload from Oregon a couple of years ago. I believe the Texas's, IU's, etc. will open up the purse for the right guy but they would not pay that to an unknown.
Example IU buyout of Creams contract is 11 mi, plus buying out another schools coach to come to IU. That's some cash. I also saw that IUs athletic department finally is in the black after 4 years in the red.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:38 AM
General

Thanked 4,899 Times in 2,261 Posts
Viperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond reputeViperstick has a reputation beyond repute
Tennessee is officially a dumpster fire now.

No way do I go near that if I'm Gregg Marshall or Archie. The ghost of Bruce Pearl looms large over that program.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Viperstick For This Totally Excellent Post:
jack72 (03-27-2015), San Diego Flyer (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 09:39 AM
General of the Air Force

Example IU buyout of Creams contract is 11 mi, plus buying out another schools coach to come to IU. That's some cash. I also saw that IUs athletic department finally is in the black after 4 years in the red.
Nothing to do with Archie but how does it usually work with the buyouts if a coach leaves for another job? Is there a list of schools that he can leave for without paying any amount? Another list with a buyout amount or are there different buyout amounts for different schools or lists of schools?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Major General

Nothing to do with Archie but how does it usually work with the buyouts if a coach leaves for another job? Is there a list of schools that he can leave for without paying any amount? Another list with a buyout amount or are there different buyout amounts for different schools or lists of schools?
It really all depends on how the buyout was structured....There have been plenty of schools that have paid the buyout to that school for their coach..I would guess regardless of what school AM would want to coach at before his new contract is fulfilled that there is a buyout that either AM or the school that hires him is responsible for..
Old 03-27-2015, 10:19 AM

That is probably because the football program is slightly better. The men's basketball program is a huge money maker and always has been. They have ever so slightly increased basketball attendance over the past few years, and I think are first in the Big Ten. If alumni thought it was time for Crean to go, he would go, and the alumni would pay the tab.
Old 03-27-2015, 10:44 AM
Major General

Some thoughts on Tennessee...

Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
Tennessee is officially a dumpster fire now. No way do I go near that if I'm Gregg Marshall or Archie.
1) Agree. This was a job that concerned me a little bit last year, but the Pearl to Cuonzo to Tyndall mess has made an otherwise very attractive job much less so. Those coaches who are already in good situations but can afford to be choosy, aren't jumping.

Originally Posted by Viperstick View Post
The ghost of Bruce Pearl looms large over that program.
2) It does. He is adored. It's like the Tennessee fanbase has fallen in love with the idea of their coach being this slick politician-like guy (bonus points if you're rotund) who can coach basketball, and probably sell you a used car while he's at it. Unless you're a recruit in which case he'll give you the new car. Cuonzo was not that guy obviously. But it must suck to be a Tennessee fan right now, because they had found a replica of Bruce Pearl in Donnie Tyndall. It's too bad Buzz Williams probably isn't available!

3) While I would say this is not a very good job right now, I think it has the potential to be a top 10, top 15 job. I understand the argument that Men's basketball is behind football and women's basketball in the pecking order at Tennessee, but I am hard-pressed to think of another fanbase that supports athletics overall with the fervor of Tennessee. Whereas men's basketball may be no big deal at some "Football Schools" it's still a big deal at Tennessee. The program is as they say, a "sleeping giant."

4) I think they'll end up with Rick Byrd from Belmont or maybe Steve Prohm (an Alabama grad so he may go there) or a top assistant.

5) While someone is going to see the potential there and jump at it, it's not one for Dayton fans to sweat for sure. Interestingly though, a quick scan of twitter and the UT boards, and Archie is A LOT of people's number one choice. Last year he was maybe 5-6 on fan lists (which mean nothing of course) if he made the list at all.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:30 AM

Would BG have any interest in UT?? The writing is on the wall at GT...
Old 03-27-2015, 11:38 AM

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6...-replace-pearl
Old 03-27-2015, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Would BG have any interest in UT?? The writing is on the wall at GT...
Follow the Lappas plan, ride out of town before the posse shows up.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:41 AM

Memphis hc Pastner?

Bobby Hurley also seems pretty hot...starting to build his resume and has the storied Duke career and the last name.
Old 03-27-2015, 11:49 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,433 Times in 682 Posts
flyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond reputeflyerfanatic86 has a reputation beyond repute
Follow the Lappas plan, ride out of town before the posse shows up.
OP can teach a Masters Class on that
Mad Props to flyerfanatic86 For This Totally Excellent Post:
DallasFlyer (03-27-2015)
Old 03-27-2015, 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by flyerfanatic86 View Post
OP can teach a Masters Class on that
Lappas would ride out 5 minutes before the posse showed up. OP was good at doing a lot sooner as he was in no danger of getting canned at UD or Clemson when he left.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:46 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
compare gregg marshall's comments to archie's that we too often take for granted ... not every coach says the right things and is loyal to their school:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...now-awaits-him

imagine if we had hired bob huggins instead of JOB ... oh boy. god bless you, gerry faust
Old 03-27-2015, 01:33 PM

So reportedly Barnes is staying at Texas, but must make some unspecified changes. Probably liking changing some assistants. Rearrange the deck chairs, that will get you more fish!

Barnes's base is like $2.5 million. BTW Dana Altman at Oregon makes about $2 mil.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:38 PM

I read that the AD was requesting Barnes make staff changes to keep his job
Old 03-27-2015, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
compare gregg marshall's comments to archie's that we too often take for granted ... not every coach says the right things and is loyal to their school:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...now-awaits-him

imagine if we had hired bob huggins instead of JOB ... oh boy. god bless you, gerry faust
Marshall appears to be looking after 8 years. WSU has a lot coming back next year, and rumor is that they will pay Marshall whatever it takes. Sounds like he is putting his name out there for a destination job. Problem is, there may be none open this year.
Old 03-27-2015, 02:27 PM

BREAKING --- St. John's has parted ways with Steve Lavin, the school announced
Old 03-27-2015, 02:49 PM
Major General

Now, we're having fun.

Got to be Bobby Hurley, right?

Last edited by DallasFlyer; 03-27-2015 at 02:52 PM..
Old 03-27-2015, 02:53 PM
Major General

Wait, and Rick Barnes is out now too? Oh man.

http://texas.247sports.com/Bolt/Expe...Texas-36439238
Old 03-27-2015, 03:02 PM
Major General

Might just be the job Marshall yearns for...
Old 03-27-2015, 03:05 PM
General

Thanked 2,827 Times in 1,551 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute

Barnes had lost his touch with the game. Watching his offense is like Chinese water torture!