User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 05-30-2016, 08:12 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
I'm just trying to make sense of what dcfan posted. I'm not defending him.

When she was inducted into the HOF she was treated fine, but Christi was mistreated/disrespected the last time UD and Xavier played at UD Arena. A small number of UD fans were completely out of bounds and disrespectful to a UD alum. I attended UD and knew Christi when I was at UD and I was ashamed of how she was treated that game.
Some people in the area who were not involved told me she also dished it out, she just didn't take it. Not saying what they did was fine, they just told me she wasn't the innocent angel many made her out to be. That's just the version I heard.
Advertisement
Old 05-30-2016, 09:32 PM
Major

Fan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to allFan4allUDSports is a name known to all
Has there been any real news on the Big East? I personally don't see the Big East expanding until the Big 12 does first, at the minimum. However, the biggest question will be this: Will the Big 12 expand or do the Pac 12, SEC, ACC, and Big 10 expand each to 16 and form their own tournament(s) first?
Old 05-30-2016, 09:39 PM
(Formerly O'Side Flyer)

Brad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud ofBrad S. has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by UDGutter2 View Post
Some people in the area who were not involved told me she also dished it out, she just didn't take it. Not saying what they did was fine, they just told me she wasn't the innocent angel many made her out to be. That's just the version I heard.
Regardless, poor behavior has no excuse.
Old 05-31-2016, 10:26 AM
1st Lieutenant

Title_BU is a jewel in the roughTitle_BU is a jewel in the roughTitle_BU is a jewel in the roughTitle_BU is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Fan4allUDSports View Post
Has there been any real news on the Big East? I personally don't see the Big East expanding until the Big 12 does first, at the minimum. However, the biggest question will be this: Will the Big 12 expand or do the Pac 12, SEC, ACC, and Big 10 expand each to 16 and form their own tournament(s) first?
No. No one in the Big East desires to expand and its projected to be a Top 3 conference again next year, whichll be 3 of its 4 years. Its not likely it expands in the next ten years, if that.
Old 05-31-2016, 11:48 AM
Committed to this Web Site and Your Enjoyment!

Thanked 6,125 Times in 4,170 Posts
ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Title_BU View Post
No. No one in the Big East desires to expand and its projected to be a Top 3 conference again next year, whichll be 3 of its 4 years. Its not likely it expands in the next ten years, if that.
FWIW, I am seeing a top 3 conference ranking only once so far.

http://realtimerpi.com/rpi_conf_Men.html

2016#4...A10#7
2015#2...A10#7
2014#4...A10#6

If the A10 eliminated some of its deadwood/perennial bottom-feeders, and instead became a 10 or 12 team league, then I wonder where the A10 would rank?

The 12 year tv contract was signed in 2013, so, many years are still left on that deal, we will see if there is a renegotiation at some point. Fox is losing a lot of money.

Last edited by ud2; 05-31-2016 at 02:27 PM..
Old 05-31-2016, 01:07 PM
General

Thanked 5,434 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by C-time View Post
When she was inducted into the HOF she was treated fine, but Christi was mistreated/disrespected the last time UD and Xavier played at UD Arena. A small number of UD fans were completely out of bounds and disrespectful to a UD alum. I attended UD and knew Christi when I was at UD and I was ashamed of how she was treated that game.
What did they say to you when you jumped in to defend her?
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
hawkoooo (05-31-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 12:26 AM
Major General

Thanked 2,312 Times in 1,011 Posts
xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Northern Iowa is in the Puerto Rico Tournament with Xavier, so the game will be exempt. It's what they should have done last year. They could have and should have (IMHO) scheduled an Advocare Opponent and gotten an extra game, but opted not to.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:25 AM

ud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond reputeud2 has a reputation beyond repute
I think having some of these bottom-feeders in the A10 may legitimately be negatively impacting the number of bids the league gets. Some of these clubs are real rpi killers year after year. And if you lose to one of them, it is a really bad loss.

I guess my bottom 4, worst to least worst, would be Fordham, Duquesne, LaSalle, and Saint Bonaventure. Drop those 4, and I think the A10 could maybe become the 4th or 5th best league.

SBU has done well recently though. LaSalle earned a bid in 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1992, but then nothing until 2013.

Last edited by ud2; 06-01-2016 at 09:30 AM..
Old 06-01-2016, 09:38 AM

Thanked 10,130 Times in 5,865 Posts
jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
I think having some of these bottom-feeders in the A10 may legitimately be negatively impacting the number of bids the league gets. Some of these clubs are real rpi killers year after year. And if you lose to one of them, it is a really bad loss.

I guess my bottom 4, worst to least worst, would be Fordham, Duquesne, LaSalle, and Saint Bonaventure. Drop those 4, and I think the A10 could maybe become the 4th or 5th best league.

SBU has done well recently though. LaSalle earned a bid in 1988, 1989, 1990, and 1992, but then nothing until 2013.
Isn't George Mason in that group rather than Bonnie?
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (06-01-2016), FLYER5 (06-01-2016), UD62 (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by jack72 View Post
Isn't George Mason in that group rather than Bonnie?
They were rolling with Larranaga as hc, 5 NCAAT and 3 NIT over a 13 year period, so they have real good potential...maybe give the new coach, Paulsen, some time to get it turned around.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:51 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,764 Times in 929 Posts
hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
The two most obvious to drop would be Fordham and La Salle. La Salle has horrible attendance and we already have a much better version of La Salle in St. Joe's. The only problem with dropping La Salle is they usually are pretty decent. Prior to last year they were around 100 or better in the RPI for four straight years. Next up would be Duquesne and GMU. I would not drop SBU.

I think just dropping is not only a pipe dream but also not the best course of action. We should drop and replace. Preferably with a few teams out UD/SLU way to balance things out more. Would anyone on this board not trade Wichita State straight up for the one of the four listed above?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to hawkoooo For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (06-01-2016), m21eagle45 (06-01-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 10:07 AM
General

Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by hawkoooo View Post
Would anyone on this board not trade Wichita State straight up for the one of the four listed above?
How about all 4? I'll throw in St. Louis to keep the leagues balanced. It's like the Hershel Walker trade, only this time it would actually be a good trade.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Major General

Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,418 Posts
m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
The two most obvious to drop would be Fordham and La Salle. La Salle has horrible attendance and we already have a much better version of La Salle in St. Joe's. The only problem with dropping La Salle is they usually are pretty decent. Prior to last year they were around 100 or better in the RPI for four straight years. Next up would be Duquesne and GMU. I would not drop SBU.

I think just dropping is not only a pipe dream but also not the best course of action. We should drop and replace. Preferably with a few teams out UD/SLU way to balance things out more. Would anyone on this board not trade Wichita State straight up for the one of the four listed above?
I agree, but with one slight difference. I would drop 3-4 teams and replace with 1-2 and get the league back to 12 teams. I just am not a fan of the 14 team leagues.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:15 AM
Brigadier General

hawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond reputehawkoooo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
I agree, but with one slight difference. I would drop 3-4 teams and replace with 1-2 and get the league back to 12 teams. I just am not a fan of the 14 team leagues.
I'm with you. I didn't mean replace all, just truly value-adding additions. I think that is probably only Wichita St. at the moment unless you are willing to lure away teams that play football or go out to the West coast.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:46 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Won't happen....

Conferences don't drop schools.

Before such a thing would happen a school would be given years to address whatever issue(s) the conference considered unacceptable.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-01-2016, 09:51 PM
Major General

m21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond reputem21eagle45 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by UACFlyer View Post

Before such a thing would happen a school would be given years to address whatever issue(s) the conference considered unacceptable.
Big East dropped Temple for football and the MAC just this year dropped UMass. Sun Belt dropped Idaho and New Mexico St for next year.

Last edited by m21eagle45; 06-01-2016 at 09:53 PM..
Old 06-01-2016, 10:59 PM

Thanked 2,415 Times in 1,074 Posts
UDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond reputeUDEE79 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by dcfan View Post
It s simple. If x were to play ud, it would be one of ud's most highly rated opponents most if not every year. Not so for X. Also if you were Mac would you want to ever return to ud arena after the way fans created Chris?
hahahahahah that's Rich! If we had a home-and-home X would be exposed with a double digit beat down every other year. They don' want to go through that. But it would be better that the beat down they took EVERY year when they were in our conference.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:00 PM
Major General

xubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond reputexubrew has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by m21eagle45 View Post
Big East dropped Temple for football and the MAC just this year dropped UMass. Sun Belt dropped Idaho and New Mexico St for next year.
None of those schools were actually members of the conference. They were merely affiliate members for football. Essentially, they had no seat at the table, but were told by the schools that did that they could play a conference schedule in football.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (06-02-2016), UACFlyer (06-04-2016)
Old 06-04-2016, 10:30 PM

Thanked 4,600 Times in 2,847 Posts
UACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeUACFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Correct

Originally Posted by xubrew View Post
None of those schools were actually members of the conference. They were merely affiliate members for football. Essentially, they had no seat at the table, but were told by the schools that did that they could play a conference schedule in football.
I don't believe there is an example of a full, all-sports conference member being dropped.

That doesn't mean it can't happen, of course. If a conference wants to upgrade and/or maintain a high standard,....and a member's facilities are way below standard.....and the school refuses to meet conference standards, then the school is actually making the choice to drop out.

This may apply to Fordham.....a school with below par men's BB facilities, but that chooses to invest in football. But, I think FU knows that the A10 does not want to lose the NYC market. Could Hofstra be a replacement for FU in the NYC metro area? Just asking...I know nothing about Hofstra athletics.
Mad Props to UACFlyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
shocka43 (06-05-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 12:17 PM

I don't believe there is an example of a full, all-sports conference member being dropped.

That doesn't mean it can't happen, of course. If a conference wants to upgrade and/or maintain a high standard,....and a member's facilities are way below standard.....and the school refuses to meet conference standards, then the school is actually making the choice to drop out.

This may apply to Fordham.....a school with below par men's BB facilities, but that chooses to invest in football. But, I think FU knows that the A10 does not want to lose the NYC market. Could Hofstra be a replacement for FU in the NYC metro area? Just asking...I know nothing about Hofstra athletics.
I agree, I can't even think of one example of a school being kicked out of a conference, it never happens. The school would have to choose to join a different conference.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:26 PM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,457 Times in 1,283 Posts
UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Don't believe it will happen to the Rams. Average finish in 15/16 in seven sports was 5.7, with a first place finish in softball and the worst being 9th out of 10 in VB, a bunch of 5th place finishes. Basketball showed improvement this year and coaching may have a lot to do with that. Granted more investment in men's BB would be a plus but as far as being forced out of the A-10, ain't going to happen
Old 06-05-2016, 01:38 PM

Thanked 17,096 Times in 5,101 Posts
Chris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond reputeChris R has a reputation beyond repute
Dayton was informally kicked out of Conference USA when the GMW migrated. Actually it was more formal than informal because they publicly paid us off with guaranteed non conference home games.

Hot shooting hides a multitude of sins.
Make everyone else's "one day" your "day one".
Mad Props to Chris R For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (10-30-2016)
Old 06-05-2016, 02:28 PM
Lieutenant General

UD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond reputeUD62 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Dayton was informally kicked out of Conference USA when the GMW migrated. Actually it was more formal than informal because they publicly paid us off with guaranteed non conference home games.
We probably deserved it, we were god awful in everything except DIII football. I know we look back fondly at the past leadership, but we were really poorly run in the late 80's and early 90's. In a way we are still paying for that sad period.
Old 06-05-2016, 08:09 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,206 Times in 542 Posts
UDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond reputeUDGutter2 has a reputation beyond repute

No, they disband, then invite all of the same schools but one to a new conference.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to UDGutter2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (06-06-2016), Flyer 86 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 09:54 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
may not be Big East related, but may have influences on the Big East moving forward as well as the A10:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...presumed-dead/

So it appears after saying just a couple of weeks ago that the B12 was not going to expand, the combination of the BIG's new TV contract, as well as their ability to craft their deal in a fashion that they'll come up again for renegotiation before the rest of the P5 come up for TV renegotiation again plus ESPN and the ACC finally coming to some sort of footing for the long discussed ACC network, that the B12 is feeling the screws to expand.

First, if/when the B12 expands, it almost certainly means they'll be looking to take anywhere from 1 to 4 AAC schools (Cincy, Houston, Memphis, UCF, South Florida and UConn are the most mentioned names, along w/ independent BYU (in football anyways)). At this point, I'm completely lost on the makeup and size of the AAC but it seems distinctly possible that one of their counter moves could be to invite UMass for full participation.

Does UMass accept, I'm not even sure what their football program's home is at the moment, so it would be a boost for that program, but a step back to neutral at best move for basketball. If UMass does depart, does the A10 fill their vacancy w/ a new school? If so, who?

If the B12 moves to 12 or 14 schools, that means that all of the P5 programs will be at 12 teams at a minimum, and possibly only the P12 sitting at 12 with the rest at 14-16 teams. Does that size influence the Big East and force their hands in expansion?
Old 07-20-2016, 10:13 AM

http://www.si.com/college-football/2...es-bob-bowlsby:

A source familiar with the Big 12’s thinking told SI.com on Tuesday that it looks “nearly definite” that the league will expand by two schools and “highly possible” the league could expand by four schools. This is major news, sparked in part by the revelation on Monday that the ACC will be launching its own network, leaving the Big 12 as the only Power 5 school without some type of television network.

The Big 12 looks ready to cash in to catch up, and there’s about a dozen schools on the other side of the financial tracks—ie non-Power 5 schools—happy to join them. (Likely without an equal cut of the television deal until the current agreement expires).

Last edited by ud2; 07-20-2016 at 10:33 AM..
Old 07-20-2016, 10:49 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 8,557 Times in 3,702 Posts
ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
I would be willing to wager an adult beverage that within the next 12 months it will be announced that UD will be joining the Big East. Any takers?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (07-20-2016), jack72 (07-21-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 10:50 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 4,000 Times in 1,176 Posts
THirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond reputeTHirt has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ClaytonFlyerFan View Post
I would be willing to wager an adult beverage that within the next 12 months it will be announced that UD will be joining the Big East. Any takers?
I'll take your wager. Mostly because I'd be happy to buy you a beer.
Posted via Mobile Device
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to THirt For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (07-21-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (07-20-2016), Flyer 86 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 11:15 AM
Major General

If the Big East decides to expand because the Big Twelve decides to expand, then their brains must be made of mush. What the Big Twelve does has nothing to do with what the Big East does, and I hope they're smart enough to realize that. Perhaps there are reasons to expand. The fact that the Big Twelve is expanding does not (or should not) qualify as a reason to do anything. In fact, given the choice, I'd rather contract than expand. The MVC can have Creighton back.
Mad Props to xubrew For This Totally Excellent Post:
Figgie123 (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 11:27 AM
General

Thanked 4,320 Times in 2,124 Posts
Medford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond reputeMedford has a reputation beyond repute
The only reason it could affect it is to have a similar format as the rest of the power conferences. Similar to why the B12 is expanding, not because they're getting drastically better teams but b/c they've discovered that expanding to 12 or 14 likely translates into a better chance to make the playoffs in football and an overall increase in TV money thanks to having more content available.

Now football is obviously a different animal than basketball, so its not an apples to apples comparison, but if your peers are all going one direction, there's a possibility they get pulled in that direction. Of course there are still rumblings that the neither the BIG, SEC nor PAC12 are done w/ the possibility of expanding, so its quite possible that the Big 12 expands, only to lose a few teams to another conference in another 5-10 years.

Its kind of all crazy. Just a few weeks ago the Big 12 tabled expansion for a later date. I guess a few weeks is indeed later, but I think they planned on waiting at least another year before looking at it again, now it sounds all but a certainty that some sort of expansion will happen.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:30 AM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 6,255 Times in 3,097 Posts
CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by THirt View Post
I'll take your wager. Mostly because I'd be happy to buy you a beer.
Posted via Mobile Device
I'm in too. Would love to lose that bet and share a mug with both of you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2016, 11:40 AM
Major General

Originally Posted by Medford View Post
The only reason it could affect it is to have a similar format as the rest of the power conferences. Similar to why the B12 is expanding, not because they're getting drastically better teams but b/c they've discovered that expanding to 12 or 14 likely translates into a better chance to make the playoffs in football and an overall increase in TV money thanks to having more content available.

Now football is obviously a different animal than basketball, so its not an apples to apples comparison, but if your peers are all going one direction, there's a possibility they get pulled in that direction. Of course there are still rumblings that the neither the BIG, SEC nor PAC12 are done w/ the possibility of expanding, so its quite possible that the Big 12 expands, only to lose a few teams to another conference in another 5-10 years.

Its kind of all crazy. Just a few weeks ago the Big 12 tabled expansion for a later date. I guess a few weeks is indeed later, but I think they planned on waiting at least another year before looking at it again, now it sounds all but a certainty that some sort of expansion will happen.
Without getting in to all of the specifics, the Big Twelve is expanding because they have a rather goofy medial deal that will end up paying them more money per school if they go out to twelve of fourteen teams. One school (Texas) actually stood to lose money, while the others would stand to gain it. So, I think once they worked out the logistics of how to keep Texas happy while still making more money for everyone else, they were deciding to do it.

The logistics of the Big East are nothing like those of the Big Twelve. That's one of the many reasons that what the Big Twelve does should not influence what the Big East does.

Now, I will sit back and watch as the Big East will probably end up making decisions due to influences that shouldn't be influences.
Old 07-20-2016, 11:48 AM
Lieutenant General

If the Big East decides to expand because the Big Twelve decides to expand, then their brains must be made of mush. What the Big Twelve does has nothing to do with what the Big East does, and I hope they're smart enough to realize that. Perhaps there are reasons to expand. The fact that the Big Twelve is expanding does not (or should not) qualify as a reason to do anything. In fact, given the choice, I'd rather contract than expand. The MVC can have Creighton back.
Have to agree. Would like to see the Flyers join the BE, but it is not critical for either the BE to expand or the Flyers to join. Desirable yes, on our part but not critical. We seem to be doing well as is and should AM's recruiting bear fruit, we should improve even more. That Creighton addition didn't make sense than and it doesn't make sense now. Flyers would have been a better choice. But then again we are a Marianist school

Last edited by UD62; 07-20-2016 at 11:51 AM..
Old 07-20-2016, 11:59 AM
General

The MVC can have Creighton back.
Don't blame us.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (07-20-2016), xubrew (07-20-2016)
Old 07-20-2016, 12:29 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Gazoo View Post
Don't blame us.
Oooooooooooh baby. So sweet to hear someone thinking this with me. Creighton was an awful choice then and an awful choice now. Serves _avier,Marquette and Georgetown right for all their barking behind the scenes about us.

My disdain for those 3 schools and Notre Dame grows by the day....I forfeited my allegiance to ND Football once their AD's attitude towards us in basketball became apparent.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:00 AM

A current Musketeer on the police blotter...appears to be a case of he said she said, all accusations are being vehemently denied.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...-ex-girlfriend:

The ex-girlfriend of Myles Davis has been granted a protective order against the Xavier guard after she accused him of threatening her, breaking her cellphones, punching holes in her wall and trying "to punch through my windows," according to the Cincinnati Enquirer.

Judge Ann Ruttle of the Kenton County District Court signed the protective order Monday. According to the terms of the order, Davis must stay 500 feet from the woman except on campus, where he must be 10 feet away. The order is effective for three years.

Davis "vehemently denies" the allegations, his attorney, John Berger, told The Enquirer. Berger said Davis agreed to the protective order because he "wants to stay away from this girl."

The senior also faces a misdemeanor criminal damaging charge in connection with the accusation that he damaged his ex-girlfriend's cellphone.

Last edited by ud2; 07-25-2016 at 09:04 AM..
Old 10-29-2016, 07:00 PM

Resurrecting this thread...

The sports industry tv money bubble might be about to burst.

I thought that this was noteworthy...there appear to be cracks forming in the business models of cable sports channels...ESPN just had its worst month ever in terms of losing subscribers...people IMO are getting tired of paying over-priced monthly cable TV bills...ESPN is by far the most expensive cable TV channel as it costs more than 3x more than the next most expensive channel for the cable provider to provide.

If FS1 and FS2 keep losing subscribers, then there will be pressure on Fox Sports to renegotiate the BE tv contract by either lessening the league tv payout or by adding teams to the league in order to increase the number of markets that the league is in and thereby increase the number of viewers.

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/es...history-102916:

ESPN isn't going to be the only company hit by the popping of the sports bubble either, but it will be the most significantly impacted by far. Let me explain. Let's use FS1 as an example. FS1 brings in around $1 a month in cable and subscriber revenue. This past month FS1 lost 355k subscribers, just shy of half of ESPN's losses. Leaving FS1 in 85.6 million homes to ESPN's 88.9 million homes. That means FS1 lost $4.2 million in yearly revenue off the subscribers it lost this month. That pales in comparison to ESPN's over $50 million in lost revenue.

Last edited by ud2; 10-30-2016 at 03:09 PM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (10-31-2016), springborofan (10-30-2016)
Old 10-30-2016, 10:39 AM
Lieutenant General

All the more reason for the NBE not to expand. Why have more teams share a smaller pie?
Old 10-30-2016, 10:56 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
That was an interesting read. Thanks for sharing UD2.
Old 10-31-2016, 09:56 AM
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by UD62 View Post
All the more reason for the NBE not to expand. Why have more teams share a smaller pie?
You do understand that Fox has a say, right?
Old 10-31-2016, 12:26 PM
Lieutenant General

Agree they have a say but adding other regional teams(us, SLU for example) won't to a lot to expand national coverage. Anything is possible and I believe we would be a +for the NBE, I just believe the odds are long on us joining
Old 10-31-2016, 03:11 PM

Thanked 3,342 Times in 1,988 Posts
UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
They do. But as I recall they have to pay more for the TV rights if the lead expands. I think something like $5 million more per year per team. If they are losing as much money on the BE as they appear to be, I doubt they have any desire to pay for rights fees. Adding two teams that do not have large national followings would not seem to be something that would make much sense. Now, if the option was to add say Notre Dame and Kentucky (not that either are realistic) they would be all for that.
Old 10-31-2016, 03:17 PM

Thanked 6,301 Times in 3,004 Posts
Sea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond reputeSea Bass has a reputation beyond repute
There isn't a team the NBE could add that has a national following. The NBE took the money but they paid a price (no one watches).
Old 10-31-2016, 09:24 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Sea Bass View Post
There isn't a team the NBE could add that has a national following. The NBE took the money but they paid a price (no one watches).
Notre Dame?
Old 10-31-2016, 09:30 PM
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by N2663R View Post
Notre Dame?
And ND would leave the ACC why?
Old 10-31-2016, 09:59 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,488 Times in 763 Posts
N2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond reputeN2663R has a reputation beyond repute
And ND would leave the ACC why?
Because the ACC wants all of ND (football) or nothing.
Old 10-31-2016, 10:44 PM

UDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond reputeUDDoug has a reputation beyond repute
They already have something worked out with ND that is acceptable to both. I guess they could force ND out if they won't be a full football member, but I don't see that happening.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:07 AM

jack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond reputejack72 has a reputation beyond repute
Notre Dame leaving the ACC right now, when pigs fly.
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (11-01-2016)
Old 11-01-2016, 09:37 AM
Lieutenant General

ND's situation works for both ND and the ACC. ND can still schedule nationally. They will always play Navy, and USC is also a lock. Five ACC teams get a "name" game every year and don't have to be concerned with ND winning the ACC championship and taking a possible playoff spot away from the ACC. Sounds workable to me.
Old 11-01-2016, 11:48 AM

Notre Dame leaving the ACC right now, when pigs fly.
Ditto the ACC kicking ND to the curb if they won't join for a full football schedule.

Only way ND leaves is if the BigTen offered them an ACC type deal.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:26 AM

ESPN is losing large amounts of customers/viewers...their long-term business model is in jeopardy.

They have had their 2 worst months ever, in terms of losing customers/viewers, in back-to-back months.

I would think Fox Sports will also suffer similar losses.

http://www.outkickthecoverage.com/es...nielsen-112916
Old 12-01-2016, 09:57 AM
General

Thanked 2,810 Times in 1,546 Posts
TommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond reputeTommyGola has a reputation beyond repute
It seems like we could be reaching a saturation point with sports and its coverage. ESPN is not alone in this erosion of viewers. The NFL is having similar, if not more serious, erosion of their viewer base.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:19 AM

I rarely watch ESPN except for specific games. Their commentary and coverage during the day are so slanted toward the northeast and big markets that it is like, who cares?
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
rollo (12-01-2016), Runnin' Rebel (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 10:32 AM
Major General

I used to be one of those people that would have ESPN on 24/7 in my house. But now I cannot stand watching ESPN at all other than live sports. Sportscenter is a joke now. Do the even show highlights from games anymore? It's all debate geared segments and "analysis" that is also geared to just stir up debate. If it wasn't for live sports I would never watch ESPN.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to m21eagle45 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (12-01-2016), Bucketnight (12-01-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (12-01-2016), Figgie123 (12-01-2016), Flyer 86 (12-01-2016), hawkoooo (12-02-2016), rollo (12-01-2016), Sea Bass (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 10:33 AM
Captain

sopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud ofsopaw10 has much to be proud of
Ditto

I agree completely. Beyond those games of interest that I tune in to watch, I spend zero time on ESPN. They leave me cold with their catering to front runners and their uber-liberal politics. I expect my sports network to give me scores, not their take on transgender bathroom issues.
10 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to sopaw10 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Bonziflyer (12-01-2016), BRob2Perryman3 (12-01-2016), cj (12-01-2016), cralford (12-01-2016), Flyer69ers (12-01-2016), hawkoooo (12-02-2016), jack72 (12-01-2016), rollo (12-01-2016), Runnin' Rebel (12-01-2016), UDGutter2 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 10:59 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,244 Posts
C-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond reputeC-time has a reputation beyond repute
I'm with most of you on the only watching live games on ESPN anymore. The one exception is that I will watch the midnight Sportscenter with Scott Van Pelt because he has some good interviews and guests and does not use the normal Sportscenter format. Since it is late I sometimes record it and watch it in the morning which enables me to fast forward through stuff I'm not interested.
Mad Props to C-time For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 11:15 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

keats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond reputekeats '91 has a reputation beyond repute
I am also with you guys. ESPN/SC now sucks.
But I tie it to the overall media and specifically some people's attitude about politics/election.
I just don't give a flip what these so-called experts think. And I certainly don't like ESPN trying to create some aurora of expert personalities. I know it has always been like that. I kind of understand it with the broadcast crew inside the game, but even those guys seem bad now.
As for Sports Center, just show me the **** highlights.
Old 12-01-2016, 11:41 AM
Flyer Volleyball Superfan. Almost 8,000 Posts To Prove It.

Thanked 5,358 Times in 2,463 Posts
BeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond reputeBeckysTXA has a reputation beyond repute
Sports saturation on ESPN= Canada's Cup for Curling. It's on ESPN3 right now. Run don't walk to log on now. And I like watching curling in the Olympics, but seriously how does this have an audience at ESPN?
Old 12-01-2016, 12:12 PM
Colonel

Bill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud ofBill202 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by BeckysTXA View Post
Sports saturation on ESPN= Canada's Cup for Curling. It's on ESPN3 right now. Run don't walk to log on now. And I like watching curling in the Olympics, but seriously how does this have an audience at ESPN?
I guess you're waiting for the return of Rodeo & Australian Rules Football
Old 12-01-2016, 12:38 PM

Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,285 Posts
ud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond reputeud69 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sopaw10 View Post
I agree completely. Beyond those games of interest that I tune in to watch, I spend zero time on ESPN. They leave me cold with their catering to front runners and their uber-liberal politics. I expect my sports network to give me scores, not their take on transgender bathroom issues.
Deplorable. Just absolutely deplorable.
Mad Props to ud69 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer69ers (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 02:05 PM
General of the Air Force

ClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond reputeClaytonFlyerFan has a reputation beyond repute
When I saw all this action in the Big East thread today, I thought someone had pointed out how the Big East is bouncing back and forth between #1 and #2 conference RPI wise for the second straight season, a solid 6 or 7 spots above the A-10. Or pointing out that the Big East has 4 teams in the top 10 RPI wise, while the best the A-10 has is our Flyers at #21. Or maybe they looked at the current rankings where 4 Big East schools are in the top 25, while the A-10 has but one who will drop out next week.

Then I assumed we had counter responses trying to claim the A-10 was still a better conference than the Big East, and pointing out how in year #2 of the Big East the A-10 got lucky and had a better overall RPI.

Then I assumed someone was saying they would rather see a home game against LaSalle than Villanova. Someone else chiming in that George Mason is better to watch than Georgetown. And of course the usual argument that we would rather watch a home game against Fordham than we would against Butler or X.

Guess I was wrong.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
BRob2Perryman3 (12-01-2016), Dillomernda (12-02-2016), FLYER5 (12-04-2016), rollo (12-01-2016), SeasonTicketFan (12-01-2016), springborofan (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 02:20 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 5,152 Times in 2,713 Posts
cj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond reputecj has a reputation beyond repute
Go to the espn home page. About 12 clicks down on the slider bar there are articles on Trump. Why?
Old 12-01-2016, 02:20 PM
General of the Air Force

CE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond reputeCE80 has a reputation beyond repute
When I saw all this action in the Big East thread today, I thought someone had pointed out how the Big East is bouncing back and forth between #1 and #2 conference RPI wise for the second straight season, a solid 6 or 7 spots above the A-10. Or pointing out that the Big East has 4 teams in the top 10 RPI wise, while the best the A-10 has is our Flyers at #21. Or maybe they looked at the current rankings where 4 Big East schools are in the top 25, while the A-10 has but one who will drop out next week.

Then I assumed we had counter responses trying to claim the A-10 was still a better conference than the Big East, and pointing out how in year #2 of the Big East the A-10 got lucky and had a better overall RPI.

Then I assumed someone was saying they would rather see a home game against LaSalle than Villanova. Someone else chiming in that George Mason is better to watch than Georgetown. And of course the usual argument that we would rather watch a home game against Fordham than we would against Butler or X.

Guess I was wrong.
So are you saying this conversation belongs on the OTG forum?

Last edited by CE80; 12-01-2016 at 02:24 PM..
Old 12-01-2016, 02:28 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by CE80 View Post
So are you saying this conversation belongs on the OTG forum?
Nope, just taking this opportunity to point out the obvious between the Big East and the A-10. Sad but true.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:29 PM

Guess I was wrong.
How dare you stay on topic!
Mad Props to jack72 For This Totally Excellent Post:
ClaytonFlyerFan (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 02:38 PM

Thanked 4,285 Times in 1,756 Posts
SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
Nope, just taking this opportunity to point out the obvious between the Big East and the A-10. Sad but true.
Contrary to our best hopes, the Big East has flourished. It has its bottom feeders, just like the A10. The top of the league has become very strong.
Old 12-01-2016, 02:45 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by SeasonTicketFan View Post
Contrary to our best hopes, the Big East has flourished. It has its bottom feeders, just like the A10. The top of the league has become very strong.
Yep, sadly it has.

My post was just reflecting on many of the comments I have made in the past, as well as a few debates, and being told I was an idiot by a few on here for wanting to be in the Big East instead of the A-10. Two years ago when many were all excited over the fact the Big East had a bit of a down year compared to the A-10, in only the second season for the Big East, many on here thought it to be the norm. I was called names worse than Rollo for saying the Big East would by far be the superior conference compared to the A-10 over the long haul. Really wish I had been wrong, but all indications are I was not.
3 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ClaytonFlyerFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-04-2016), m21eagle45 (12-01-2016), rollo (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 02:57 PM
General of the Air Force

Yep, sadly it has.

My post was just reflecting on many of the comments I have made in the past, as well as a few debates, and being told I was an idiot by a few on here for wanting to be in the Big East instead of the A-10. Two years ago when many were all excited over the fact the Big East had a bit of a down year compared to the A-10, in only the second season for the Big East, many on here thought it to be the norm. I was called names worse than Rollo for saying the Big East would by far be the superior conference compared to the A-10 over the long haul. Really wish I had been wrong, but all indications are I was not.
I am not going through all the big east thread and classifying every poster and I am not smart enough to set up a poll. So I will just handle it the best way I know how and that is to just throw s*!t out there.

I think there are 3 different but interconnected debates.
1. Would you rather UD be in the big east or the A10?
2. Is the A10 as good as the big east?
3. Is UD better off in the big east or the A10?

I think most (not all) posters would say answer 1. with "big east" and "no" to 2. I think the real debate is with 3. where the results would be 50/50.
Old 12-01-2016, 03:15 PM

SeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond reputeSeasonTicketFan has a reputation beyond repute
I am not going through all the big east thread and classifying every poster and I am not smart enough to set up a poll. So I will just handle it the best way I know how and that is to just throw s*!t out there.

I think there are 3 different but interconnected debates.
1. Would you rather UD be in the big east or the A10?
2. Is the A10 as good as the big east?
3. Is UD better off in the big east or the A10?

I think most (not all) posters would say answer 1. with "big east" and "no" to 2. I think the real debate is with 3. where the results would be 50/50.

Another question is Can UD handle moving up to a higher rated league?

The A10 draws in traditional UD alumni bases. That is good overall for the university, not just athletics. Often UD fans outnumber home town fans in some east coast venues.

UD has a the right coach and arena for a higher power league. But is the program ready. UD laid an egg when it joined the Great Midwest. It was also caught unprepared and flat footed when the new Big East was formed. Butler and Creighton were invited instead of UD. Ted Kissel talked about the Big East split for years. They knew it was coming for 10 years. When it happened, UD was left on the outside looking in.

If UD was in the Big East, Archie could raise his recruiting targets. He is doing very well recruiting for an A10 school. He could attract even better talent if the university was in the Big East. If you don't think is true, attend Flyin' to the Hoop. There are a number of outstanding players who participate in that January event. With the exception of Wayne athletes, UD has little to no chance to recruit them. Players from last year committed to North Carolina, Cincinnati and other high profile colleges.

If Archie and the program were in a higher league, Final Four and National Championship would be within reach.

So, how does UD climb into a higher rated league? It will take more than the coach. Probably involve the new President, AD and more....

Last edited by SeasonTicketFan; 12-01-2016 at 07:41 PM..
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
Radar (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 04:27 PM
General

Thanked 2,909 Times in 1,405 Posts
frisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond reputefrisco flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Yep, sadly it has.

1. You are arguing with success!

2. The big east may be a better basketball conference, but its leadership is morally corrupt. They are a bunch of egotistical money grubs with no moral values or even a tenuous connection to the christian values their home institutions portend to uphold.

3. UD leaders, if you are reading this, please stay away from that conference. The A10 is a great home for our Flyers.
Mad Props to frisco flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
TerryK_67 (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 04:36 PM
Colonel

TerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond reputeTerryK_67 has a reputation beyond repute
The best 2 programs in the new big least are X and Butler..... Villanova is on a roll right now.... The rest are no better than the A10. Georgetown is over rated as is Creighton. The "good old boys" are taking care of each other.... time will tell.
Mad Props to TerryK_67 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Class of 73 Alum (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 04:44 PM

Thanked 6,618 Times in 3,024 Posts
longtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond reputelongtimefan has a reputation beyond repute
UD laid an egg when it joined the Big East.
Not sure what you mean by this.
Mad Props to longtimefan For This Totally Excellent Post:
UD62 (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 05:16 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,119 Posts
BRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond reputeBRob2Perryman3 has a reputation beyond repute

Guess I was wrong.
Oh so freaking awesome
Old 12-01-2016, 06:04 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
I rarely watch ESPN except for specific games. Their commentary and coverage during the day are so slanted toward the northeast and big markets that it is like, who cares?
Plus, who likes watching people yell at you? ESPN's current typical content is so off-putting.
Old 12-01-2016, 06:23 PM

Thanked 15,876 Times in 6,981 Posts
rollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond reputerollo has a reputation beyond repute
Any company that hires Keith Olberman TWICE gets what it deserves.
BRob2Perryman3 (12-02-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (12-01-2016), Flyer69ers (12-01-2016), hawkoooo (12-02-2016), Runnin' Rebel (12-02-2016), San Diego Flyer (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 06:30 PM
Lieutenant Colonel

Class of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to beholdClass of 73 Alum is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TerryK_67 View Post
The best 2 programs in the new big least are X and Butler..... Villanova is on a roll right now.... The rest are no better than the A10. Georgetown is over rated as is Creighton. The "good old boys" are taking care of each other.... time will tell.
Couldn't agree more about Georgetown. Is there a more overrated program in the country over the last 20-25 years? I can't think of any...
Mad Props to Class of 73 Alum For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by longtimefan View Post
Not sure what you mean by this.
My bad. Typo. Should have been Great Midwest. I fixed it in the original post.

UD was nowhere competitive in that league.
Posted via Mobile Device
Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-04-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 07:56 PM
Colonel

MikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant futureMikeF has a brilliant future
UD was nowhere competitive in that league.
I don't know, man. UD was 1-23 in conference play in two seasons of the Great Midwest..."nowhere competitive" might be generous!
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to MikeF For This Totally Excellent Post:
FLYER5 (12-04-2016), SeasonTicketFan (12-01-2016)
Old 12-01-2016, 09:33 PM
Colonel

Ready Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant futureReady Action has a brilliant future
Just reverse the curse http://m.tmz.com/#article/2016/12/01...ane-paint-job/
Old 12-01-2016, 10:35 PM
Lieutenant General

Save football, the whole athletic program was in shambles, picked a really poor time to suck, just as things were changing conference wise. Still paying for those blunders in my opinion. Not a real fan of TF
Old 12-01-2016, 11:33 PM
General of the Air Force

Thanked 3,787 Times in 1,933 Posts
Avid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond reputeAvid Flyer has a reputation beyond repute
Save football, the whole athletic program was in shambles, picked a really poor time to suck, just as things were changing conference wise. Still paying for those blunders in my opinion. Not a real fan of TF
So whats not to like about Tina Fey, great job on Palin.

Re: Tom F he was dealing with some serious health issues at the time and was to be the next president of the NCAA. In that position he could have done wonders for UD, but cancer took his life. Still his work in getting the arena built was a great accomplishment.

Personally, right now I feel we are well suited for being at the top of the A-10. Butler did it at Horizon league so why can't Dayton do it in the A-10.

For years Dayton trashed Xavier and never once considered leaving X behind in anything, then X gets the upper hand for a decade or so and they no longer want anything to do with UD. Had always rooted for X (when not playing UD) through all those years, well screw them now and all their Jesuit schools.

Keep building the programs and some league with new alignments will come begging.

BTW Dayton was to be the new addition along with X for 10 plus years. It wasn't anything UD did wrong it was what the Jesuits and Creighton admins did. DRAIN the Big East. X day will come.

Not even UCLA stayed on top forever.
Mad Props to Avid Flyer For This Totally Excellent Post:
TMPH66 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Lieutenant General

Fact remains that at the critical time in the relatively recent history of UD athletics we were woefully unprepared for the changes that were to take place. We were god awful in everything. What TF could have, or would have, done for UD is unknowable. Decision to remain independent for as long as we did was a mistake . You may be correct AF that sone conference, or group of schools will come calling, but so far we are 0-1 in that catagory. By the way we were unranked in the AP poll for the last quarter of the 20th century. 25 years without cracking that ranking once. I am old school and the 50's and 60's were outstanding, from then on until the turn of the century, a couple of high spots( 84 comes to mind) but for the most part a winning program but nothing really outstanding. We can rightly look at games against other Catholic schools as positive and the home and homes with Louisville were exciting but in the overall scheme of things we were for the most part not a factor on the national scene. AM is changing that but it is a tough task given the competition. I don't look for the NBE to add schools any time soon and we are a poor fit for any major conference and the A-10 is as good or better than the rest. Anything can happen and we are certainly much better prepared than we were when the last big shuffle occurred
Old 12-02-2016, 10:00 AM

If UD was asked to join the Big East at 11:05:00 AM today they would join at 11:05:30 AM.

There is no doubt that UD administration and coaching would prefer to be in the Big East or a higher rated league.
8 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to SeasonTicketFan For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-02-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (12-02-2016), Flyer 86 (12-02-2016), Flyer14 (12-02-2016), FLYER5 (12-04-2016), jack72 (12-02-2016), m21eagle45 (12-02-2016), SacramentoFlyer (12-03-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by frisco flyer View Post
The A10 is a great home for our Flyers.
Agree, the A10 is fine for the time being, maybe someday I will get tired of the A10, but I am not at that point yet. Going to the NCAAT every year never gets old.

Something is going on though with all these people cancelling their cable/satellite/ESPN, and that will impact Fox/the Big East.

I think people are fed up with very high cable/satellite bills and are cutting the cord.

They need to stop the forced bundling/making me pay for stuff that I do not watch. Let me customize my TV package.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to ud2 For This Totally Excellent Post:
fuz_forward (12-02-2016), redbengal (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 02:18 PM
Captain

Southwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to beholdSouthwest is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rollo View Post
Any company that hires Keith Olberman TWICE gets what it deserves.
Truer words were never spoken.
Old 12-02-2016, 02:44 PM
General of the Air Force

If UD was asked to join the Big East at 11:05:00 AM today they would join at 11:05:30 AM.
I have to disagree with you...

They would have joined at 11:05 :01.
6 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to CE80 For This Totally Excellent Post:
AC91 (12-02-2016), ClaytonFlyerFan (12-02-2016), Figgie123 (12-02-2016), Flyer 86 (12-02-2016), m21eagle45 (12-02-2016), SeasonTicketFan (12-02-2016)
Old 12-02-2016, 02:47 PM
General of the Air Force

Originally Posted by ud2 View Post
Agree, the A10 is fine for the time being, maybe someday I will get tired of the A10, but I am not at that point yet. Going to the NCAAT every year never gets old.

Something is going on though with all these people cancelling their cable/satellite/ESPN, and that will impact Fox/the Big East.

I think people are fed up with very high cable/satellite bills and are cutting the cord.

They need to stop the forced bundling/making me pay for stuff that I do not watch. Let me customize my TV package.
My belief is that a lot of cord cutters are just using family or friends log in info to get content.
Old 12-02-2016, 03:47 PM

Thanked 9,809 Times in 4,072 Posts
shocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond reputeshocka43 has a reputation beyond repute
When you resort to Crossfit, etc...yes...no one cares what you have on anymore outside of live real sports....not watching people exercise.
Old 12-02-2016, 06:47 PM
1st Lieutenant

Flyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud ofFlyer 79 has much to be proud of
We interrupt this regularly scheduled ESPN hate-fest for an important message: Their 30 for 30 documentaries are excellent.
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Flyer 79 For This Totally Excellent Post:
CE80 (12-03-2016), Flyer 86 (12-02-2016)
Old 12-03-2016, 10:42 AM
Brigadier General

Thanked 2,761 Times in 1,129 Posts
springborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond reputespringborofan has a reputation beyond repute
I have to disagree with you...

They would have joined at 11:05 :01.
Or, as they say, in a jif