Go Back   UDPride Discussion Forums > UDPRIDE SPORTS FORUMS > Mens Basketball

User Name:

Password:

Not a member yet?
Register Now!
» Advertisement

Old 08-30-2011, 10:55 AM
Lieutenant Colonel

Columbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond reputeColumbia Blue has a reputation beyond repute
Post Makor Marial Shayok Yul Bol Manyang Thyen Bakjok Chueu Alilek

We were waxing Flyer nostalgia last night over wings and beer(ssss) and Makor Shayok's name came up.

Full name above -- Makor must have gotten a foldout diploma! And with 4 kids while an undergrad, he might be the Flyers pre-eminent "BABY DADDY"

Cool article from his playing days in Chicago Tribune:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...glish-practice

appears to now reside in Ottawa, Ontario -- two children playing college ball:

Yar Shayok (Detroit)
http://www.detroittitans.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1022

Shayok Shayok, Bradley (pronounce SHE-ock)
http://www.bradleybraves.com/ViewArt...&Q_SEASON=2011

Last edited by Columbia Blue; 08-30-2011 at 11:10 AM..
2 UDPriders Offer Mad Props to Columbia Blue For This Totally Excellent Post:
Buster Goode (08-30-2011), DallasFlyer (08-30-2011)
Advertisement
Old 08-30-2011, 11:39 AM
Lieutenant General

Thanked 1,687 Times in 927 Posts
bobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond reputebobber has a reputation beyond repute
My, my! Is Makor old enough to have kids playing college ball?

Thanks for the articles, Columbia.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Very interesting. I'm surprised no one ever mentioned Makor's son, Shayok Shayok, in recruiting discussions. I wonder if BG ever spoke with them about him. If a former UD player has a son who has D1 basketball talent, it would be nice for some contact to at least be made. Obviously, coach doesn't have to offer. But I do think it's important for a coaching staff to keep tabs on these sort of things.

I'd be willing to schedule to Bradley in the future with the stipulation that Makor come out and throw up a few hook shots at half time. Heck, maybe even some threes. I actually believe Jim O'Brien had plays drawn up for Makor to jack a three. Man, were we dismal in those days! But long live Captain Hook!
Old 08-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Brigadier General

Thanked 1,020 Times in 479 Posts
Flyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant futureFlyer'95 has a brilliant future
I remember "The Man From Sudan" quite well. Not the prettiest hook shot i've ever seen. But i remember he had a house near the old Rudy's FlyBy in the ghetto and seeing him with his kids on the stoop in front of the house was such a bizarre thing to see as an 18 or 19 year old. I finally have kids now, and the thought of my 19 year old self raising them is laughable, bordering on criminal. It's crazy to think his kids are old enough to play D1 ball now. Man i'm old.
Mad Props to Flyer'95 For This Totally Excellent Post:
Flyer 86 (08-30-2011)
Old 08-30-2011, 04:04 PM
1st Lieutenant

bp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to beholdbp is a splendid one to behold
I think I recall him falling in love with the three pointer for a period of time. He would hold the ball with both hands over one shoulder, then just sort of chuck it at the rim.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:39 PM
Major General

Thanked 3,699 Times in 1,668 Posts
DallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond reputeDallasFlyer has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by bp View Post
I think I recall him falling in love with the three pointer for a period of time. He would hold the ball with both hands over one shoulder, then just sort of chuck it at the rim.
Probably because his mentor, Manute Bol, also fell in love with the three ball. And because he didn't have a coach to tell him to get his butt in the paint. O'Brien's allowing Makor to chuck threes is akin to coaching a 7 and under girls team and having them shoot NBA threes. It's one of those things that is hard to forget.
Old 08-30-2011, 05:49 PM
Commander in Chief

Thanked 10,572 Times in 5,079 Posts
Fudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond reputeFudd has a reputation beyond repute
O'Brien told everyone to chuck threes.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:27 PM
General

Thanked 4,525 Times in 2,050 Posts
Glen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond reputeGlen Clark has a reputation beyond repute
Eight fer eight

Originally Posted by Fudd View Post
O'Brien told everyone to chuck threes.
Shuwn Haughn was the best three-point chucker of them all.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:56 PM
Captain

chicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud ofchicago92 has much to be proud of
Seems about right that he has two kids in college as he and his wife had 4 babies while they were in college and that was 18/19 years ago. FWIW - Makor was one of the nicest men I have ever meant. He had a calmness about him as a person that made him a joy to be around.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:47 PM
Colonel

Thanked 1,082 Times in 469 Posts
Piqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant futurePiqua Flyer '66 has a brilliant future
Thanks Chicago '92

....it takes one to know one.
That's my boy!!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:58 PM
General

Thanked 5,436 Times in 2,374 Posts
Gazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond reputeGazoo has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Columbia Blue View Post
We were waxing Flyer nostalgia last night over wings and beer(ssss) and Makor Shayok's name came up.

Full name above -- Makor must have gotten a foldout diploma! And with 4 kids while an undergrad, he might be the Flyers pre-eminent "BABY DADDY"

Cool article from his playing days in Chicago Tribune:
http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...glish-practice

appears to now reside in Ottawa, Ontario -- two children playing college ball:

Yar Shayok (Detroit)
http://www.detroittitans.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=1022

Shayok Shayok, Bradley (pronounce SHE-ock)
http://www.bradleybraves.com/ViewArt...&Q_SEASON=2011
Must be he11 to get a mortgage.

"Sign here, here, here, and initial here."
Initial: MMSYBMTB

Columbia, sounds a lot like TBFTISIML.
Mad Props to Gazoo For This Totally Excellent Post:
Columbia Blue (08-31-2011)