» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Give It A Shot
Give It A Shot
Published by Swampy Meadows
01-22-2021
Give It A Shot

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- Sometimes, it pays to be an old dude who also bangs out the occasional blog. As noted by fellow blogger Carolyn Geduld in her piece entitled "7 Benefits of Being a Senior Citizen Writer" ancient scribes like us have the advantages of time, space, voice, fewer distractions, history to draw from, different goals and self acceptance. You can read her article here if you are interested:

https://discover.submittable.com/blo...itizen-writer/

Last week, by the grace of God and a little bit of pure sh*t luck, my name got pulled to receive one of these:

Before we go any further, let me make this abundantly clear: this is not about politics. It's about common sense, pure and simple.

See what it says on the bottom of my button? "Ask Me Why."

Why?

Really?

Because I want to be able to hug my grandkids again. Because I have a strong desire to watch the Flyers in that shiny arena by the Miami River instead of online. Because I would like to eat a meal at any number of my favorite restaurants instead of relying on curbside pickup. Because I wish to be able to play in David Jablonski's Twitter All-Star Pickup Hoops Extravaganza this November instead of shooting hoops by myself in my driveway, like I did yesterday even tho it was only 43 degrees outside.

And for several hundred other examples that I won't enumerate here.

For some reason, a lot of folks -- even medical professionals -- are refusing to get the vaccination:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-v...er-reluctance/

Worse yet, some people are getting the initial dose and then skipping their follow up appointment. In Florida alone, 40,000 seniors haven't shown up for their second vaccine:

https://www.wfla.com/community/healt...virus-vaccine/

Why? Because they are afraid of possible side affects? The worst part of my experience was removing the Band-Aid, as it took several hairs off of my arm with it. A little shoulder pain is gonna hurt a lot less than a case of COVID will. I know several folks who have had to endure a case of "log haulers" COVID and I am here to tell you that it is no fun. I feel lucky that no one in my extended family or anyone I know has succumbed to this pandemic. Over 400,000 Americans are not so fortunate.

There are two ways that we, as a country, can get to "herd immunity." Either everyone contracts the disease -- and 1,000,000+ more people die as a result. Or, 80% of us get vaccinated.

Do us all a favor: When your time comes, get the shots.

That’s it “From the Swamp”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_3152.JPG (66.2 KB, 3 views)

Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools