And Now, For Something Completely Different
Jim Meadows
Published by Swampy Meadows
06-19-2008
And Now, For Something Completely Different

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- Here's what I think about that:

-- Joe Lunardi has UD in the Field of 64 in his latest version of Bracketology:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bracketology

That and $4 will barely get you a gallon of gas.

-- Nice to see BG dip into the state of Michigan for new Assistant Coach Cornell Mann, late of WMU, who grew up in Fashionable Ferndale, a suburb of Detroit. I've been fortunate enuf to be able to watch UD recruits from Motown play their senior year of HS for the last 2 seasons in Devin Searcy and Paul Williams. The Class of 2010 is really strong up here and UD has 4 more slots to fill, so hit the road and get to work, Coach!

-- Whatever happened to Jim Rhoden?

-- As pleased as I was that Daytonian Juwan Staten made an early commitment to BG and UD, I'm not holding my breath on his 2010 classmate Adrien Payne of Jefferson HS commiting any time soon. Payne had an absolute monster camp at the Nike Hoop Jamboree and he's gonna get big-timed, big time. Call me a cockeyed optimist, but BG has been on this kid for a long while and I think that the combination of Coach Gregory's persistence, the proximity of UD and the chance to play with Chris Wright will eventually convince AP to join his AAU teammate Staten at Dayton.

-- Speaking of "big timing" it, there are a number of guys who BG recruited in the past who went "big time" and are now playing for lesser programs. Remember PF Nate Minnoy from Chicago? He's now on his fourth college, having originally signed with Purdue, then transferring to Schoolcraft CC here in Michigan, then to Central Michigan and now he's at Lee University, an NAIA school in TN. Chicago sharpshooter Sead Odzic originally went to USC and is now at Illinois State. PG Larry Wright from Saginaw actually started 10 games for St. Johns as a frosh, but is now headed to Oakland, just like big man Dan Waterstradt did, coming home from Rutgers.

-- Is there any doubt in anyone's mind that Tiger Woods is going to come back on the PGA Tour in 2009 with an absolute vengenace? And after Retief Goosen saying that Woods was 'faking it' at The US Open, wouldn't you just love to see Tiger and the South African paired together at an event?

-- Obnoxious Boston sports fans have acquired the rather unflattering nickname of "Mass-holes." While I share his enthusiasm for all things Hub, Binnie Bombs 33 has crossed over into "Mass-hole" territory with his unrelenting, argumentative tone on the UD Pride MB. Give it a freakin' rest, BB33 -- the good guys won!

-- How would you like to have the Duck Boat Tour concession in Boston:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre..._fans_flo.html

-- Great piece of motivating by Celtics Coach Doc Rivers. He took Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce and Ray Allen on the Duck Boat Tour before the NBA season started and told them "this is it, this is our goal for this year."

-- In regards to the World Champions, what idiot wrote this garbage:

"My greatest fear going into the NBA Draft was that Danny Ainge would somehow find a way to screw up the Celtics draft pick yet again, but I was totally wrong. I thought for sure that Ainge would draft Yi Jianlian (which translates to ‘Darko Milicic’ in Chinese). But instead he wisely chose Georgetown’s ultra athlete Jeff Green, but he did so for Seattle! As you have no doubt read, Danny immediately spun Green, “Wally World” and former St. Joe’s great Delonte West for Ray Allen and “Big Baby.” This was a great trade –- 10 years ago! Ray Allen is now 32 years of age. Did I mention that Ray had season-ending surgery on both of his ankles? Allen will be collecting Social Security checks when Jeff Green is still playing in the NBA. Nice move, DA."

Ooops, that was me!

-- Talk about a totally bizarre sports coincidence, what are the chances of these two guys running into each other:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...19/1048/SPORTS

-- Yes, I admit it: I took my wife to see "Sex and the City" on the day that it opened and I liked it!

-- Anybody out there hiring? Recent UD grad John Hanneman emailed me and asked if I could help him connect on his first media gig. He's a good writer and has a ton of experience doing radio on-air and PBP work. Email me and I'll put you in touch with him.

-- Whole lotta guards dropped out of the NBA draft and are headed back to school. That can only mean good things for BRob. After watching undersized PGs Rajon Rondo and Jordan Farmar in the NBA Finals, I have a feeling our guy just might hear his name called on June 26th. The wild card in the whole deal is how many players from overseas that none of us have ever heard of get drafted ahead of Roberts.

That's it "From the Swamp."
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By Xenia UDFan on 08-27-2008, 12:18 PM
I'll have to keep an eye on Minnoy; I did my undergrad at Lee University!
Comment

Article Tools