» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
The Road to Memphis
The Road to Memphis
Published by Swampy Meadows
03-28-2014
The Road to Memphis

ON THE ROAD TO MEMPHIS (TN) -- “From the Swamp” came to the slow realization this morning that life is just too ****ed short. As Tom Cruise so eloquently said in “Risky Business”:

“Sometimes you just gotta say WTF!”

With that thought in mind, the decision was hastily made to hit the road with the Elder Swampette and trek on down to Memphis for the Flyers’ Elite Eight showdown vs. the Florida Gators late Saturday afternoon. Thanks to the great Doug Hauschild I have secured a seat in the “Media Overflow” section; the Elder Swampette scored a ticket on Stub Hub; the rental car is reserved and she found a hotel room downtown.

Let’s Do This!

-- Arrived in Memphis in 8 hours from Chitown. Had lunch with the Elder Swampette at The Rendezvous and the ribs were everything that had I heard they were. Beale Street is absolutely coated in Red & Blue. There is a tiny contingent of UF Alumni at a bar on the corner; the Street and the Park across from it are all UD fans. The ES had to pick up her ticket from Stub Hub at the Doubletree where UD is staying and it was 90% Flyer fans coming on and off the elevator.

-- Ran into Keith Waleskowski on Beale Street and he looks like he could still suit up and go for 20 and 10. He is pumped for this game as you might imagine.

-- Got to Chicago in fine order and will have to get up and be on the road by 5:00 AM CDT in order to get to Memphis with time to spare. The rental car was a brand new VW Beetle and I am liking it alot, especially the gas mileage.

-- Brian Kollars from The DDN had the same idea I did. Here is his version:

http://www.daytondailynews.com/blogs...oad_trip.html/

-- To answer the question posed by FlyingArrow in the comments below, this "is a story" because there are probably hundreds of Flyer Faithful who woke up this morning and asked themselves the exact same question that Kollars and I did:

Are you ready for a road trip to see your favorite team win its way to The Final Four?

Hopefully a couple of them saw this story and decided to go for it.

To be continued.

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By FlyingArrow on 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM
Cool that you're going. But how is this an article?
By Bud Meadows on 03-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Have fun Jim. We'll be looking for you and Cristin on TV
By ruechalgrin on 03-28-2014, 05:42 PM
Don't jinx us ....
Comment

Article Tools