Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Volleyball Update
Volleyball Update
UDBrian
Published by UDBrian
10-21-2013
Volleyball Update

The Volleyball team went on the road to play against Fordham and Rhode Island just over a week ago. Flyer fans are spoiled and I predicted a victory in both matches. The Flyers did beat Forham in three sets but lost to Rhode Island in five sets.

The Rhode Island match was very very close in all parts of the game but it was obvious that each team had runs of points instead of it just being a side out battle. So I asked Matt what happened to cause this and what part of the game let them down.

"I thought we totally controlled sets 1 and 4, and we let major leads slip away in sets 2 and 3. Rhode Island did some good things, especially with their offense behind the setter, but when you have a sizable lead after point 20 you have got to be able to play steady/controlled volleyball and sprint to the finish line. Our serve receive passing struggled late in sets 2 and 3, and we were not able to either put the ball away or stop the transition attack".

One thing Matt mentioned at the Sunday chalk talk is that they had 24 points in one set and ran out of substitutions which resulted in Ally setting and Jenna hitting. This isn't something you plan for.

Matt discussed the strategy for the home return match against Rhode Island at the chalk talk. I won't go into details but it was obvious that UD played muched better.

It has been obvious from looking at the stats that Shayne and Jill have been doing a nice job recently so I asked Matt for his thoughts.

"With Shayne, it is simply her attitude about switching positions and her continued comfort in hitting the outside tempo and location. She has really worked hard to get a feel for the outside, and she is hitting .283 out there since the switch. That is a big-time hitting percentage. She needs to continue her improvement, while also understanding the blocking/defensive responsibilities that are new to her. Jill has also been producing at a much higher rate, and I think that is also due to her getting more comfortable in her position. I think she is also getting stronger, getting a faster arm, and understanding shot selection better. She has hit over .210 the last four matches, and maybe more importantly, has drastically decreased her error percentage. Jill is also getting better every day at setting a good/strong block."

Matt did have some good news on Alaina Turner's injury.

"Alaina is still very weak with her right shoulder, but we don't think it is a rotator cuff tear. She is working back into non-hitting practice drills (passing and a little back row defense), and we hope she can get back to 100% as we near November".

In case you haven't been paying attention to the posts of BECKYSTXA UD has been a top 10 blocking team all season so I asked Matt why they are so improved from last season.

"Our basic premise is that we start in a balanced base position (2 arms length from each other) in an effort to get positive deflections/blocks in the interior of the court. We then wait to see where the set is headed and accelerate to it and go get the hitter. I'm not sure how much we have changed from the past, but we do spend time on our last two steps of the block, as well as our block timing and where are hands/arms are at the point of contact from the hitter. We are continuing to work hard at getting up a "perfect" block when the hitter hits the ball, even if we are not in the best position. Being up and strong will create a wall".

During the chalk talk we discussed adjustments during a match and how many changes that they make between sets. He said that they normally don't make major adjustments from set to set unless the other team is making major changes. But, he added that they evaluate each rotation during a match and that can affect where they postion the players initially to increase or decrease the number of times a rotation occurs.

Sorry I am a week behind, I will plan on having matt's comments on the big Rhode Island victory before next week's match

It is pretty obvious that Shayne is beginning to get comfortable
Article Tools
Comment