» Advertisement
Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
What Can You Say?
What Can You Say?
Published by Swampy Meadows
02-07-2015
What Can You Say?

BEVERLY HILLS (MI) -- Some questions to ask in the wake of another tough Flyer road defeat at GW:

What can you say about UD's heart?

Yeah, it's still a loss, but to send the GW tilt into extra innings, come back from six down in OT and actually go ahead (without arguably their best player) is something the Flyers can take away from this experience and gain from it. Sibert and Baby D didn't have it going on from the land of plenty, so KD stepped up and hit a trio of large threes; Dyshawn made an incredible no-look pass to Bobby for a hoop, grabbed a rebound on the other end and followed it up with a dunk on the next Flyer possession. They played with heart and poise. Go forth and do likewise next time.

What can you say about absentee ESPN announcers?

I really don't care if the WWL talking heads are on the premises or not, as long as the cameras are rolling and I can see the game. What I am not a fan of is lack of preparation and attention to detail. As poster Sid Louick noted in the GW game thread, we knew it was gonna be a long night when the ESPN guys mistakenly said this would be the first of two meetings between UD and GW. C'mon guys, the Flyer schedule is in the front of the freakin' UD Media Guide that you are reading from! Numerous times during the game a whistle would blow and they had no idea what the call was and if it was a foul, who it was on. To compound matters, they never corrected their mistakes.

Of course, you don't have to be in absentia to be bad. Adrian Branch and his ESPN PBP sidekick actually attended the UMass/UD contest and they still sucked:

http://www.udpride.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26808

Let's face it, we are spoiled. Larry and Bucky are always totally prepared for our opponents. Heck, Mark Adams, their ESPN counterpart who got his start doing the Flyer Feedback postgame show is eminently more prepared than either of these two crews were.

The one play where I totally agreed with the GW ESPN crew was the blown Kendall Pollard and-one play. ESPN counted the bucket, put the two points on the on-screen scoreboard and flashed a graphic that Kendall would be shooting one. The zebras saw it differently.

Which brings us to...

What can you say about the Atlantic 10 refs?

I know, I know -- the A-10 doesn't have their own exclusively assigned crews of officials. But these guys were "unconscious incompetent" -- they were bad and what's worse is, they didn't know how bad they were. The bogus charge on Dyshwan that wiped out a hoop and a chance for a three point play and the aforementioned blown call on KP are but two less-than-stellar examples.

What can you say about Kendall Pollard's dunk?

You can see it here, followed by Kyle Davis' "Onions" go-ahead three pointer and the eventual Joe McDonald game winner:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=122...sportscenterTW

What can you say about Kendall Pollard's FT shooting?

When KP fouled out in regulation, I jokingly said in the game thread that they would miss Kendall's FT shooting. 6-6 from the line! Don't know what adjustments he has made, but if he can hit his freebies consistently we will have seen the last of Hack-a-Kendall.

What else can you say about the GW Game?

Beat SLU!

Finally, in what has absolutely nothing to do with Flyer basketball:

What can you say about that Super Bowl?

I'll keep this brief.

Here is the Super Bowl edition of Inside the NFL. Gotta love the behind-the-scenes shots and audio that NFL Films is able to capture. (Warning: Links on the sidebar are borderline NSFW):

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2g...-edition_sport

Nobody took a more interesting road to a Super Bowl ring than former rugby player and tOSU footballer Nate Ebner, the special teams ninja:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/29/201...cetype=default

That’s it “From the Swamp.”
You can email me at: swampy@udpride.com
Article Tools
By UDTradition on 02-07-2015, 06:36 PM
Great post...thanks
By Flyer 86 on 02-09-2015, 01:21 PM
thanks Swampy. Was a great final 5 minutes plus OT for the Flyers.
Don't regret watching that game one bit!

Pierre's pass was genius.
Pollard Dunk, and Kyle's playing superb!
Comment