Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
It's A10 Tournament Time
It's A10 Tournament Time
UDBrian
Published by UDBrian
11-17-2012
It's A10 Tournament Time

The first round of the A10 Volleyball tournament has been played. The Flyers will play in the semifinals on Saturday. Kelly answered a few questions concerning the A10 tournament.

The Flyers were undefeated in the regular season but you aren't recognized as the conference champion unless you win the tournament. But I did ask Kelly about his thoughts on a great regular season:

"I think it's the 3rd time in the past 15 years that it's been done - so it's not something that happens a lot. Other than that, there's not much I can say. There will be time later, for us, to think about our accomplishments. Right now it's too soon to spend time thinking about my feelings or emotions. This team has done a great job of staying tuned in to right now and I wouldn't be a very good leader if I started thinking about those type of things at this time. Ask me in a month and I'm sure I'll have a better answer"

The top two regular season teams receive a bye in the conference championship. When asked about the advantage of playing two times instead of three Kelly replied:

"We played three matches in three days a couple of times this year. It's not fun! And those didn't have the intensity that a single elimination tournament carries. So, although I've never been in that boat before in a conference tournament, I've got to feel that it's tough. Fortunately we put ourselves in the position to only have to play two matches to win".

The Flyers have played most of the tournament teams twice during the regular season. How is it different playing a team the third time? Do teams make as many in game adjustements as they did in earlier matches?

Q3: You have played most of the tournament teams twice during the regular season. How is it different playing a team the third time? Do teams make as many in game adjustments as in earlier meetings or do most teams know how they want to attack each other by that point?

"A little bit of both. Teams know us and we know them. But teams should be constantly improving and adding new wrinkles to things. Plus you want to work on things that other people exploited. There will always be in-match adjustments made when you are playing strong opponents. We played X the other day and I'm sure both teams really wanted to win. But I'm sure both coaching staffs were well aware of the fact that we could be playing again a week later for a conference championship. Does that play into the fact with what rotation you may start in, what plays you run, serving strategy, and how you plan on defending certain players when playing them a week before the conference tournament? It could...."

We know that the Flyers are playing well and Xavier is playing well entering this tournament. Are there any other A10 teams that seem to be playing their best vball of the season right now?

"As I was telling the team yesterday, we had a nice regular season, and I know that we are confident heading into the tournament. But let's look at the other five teams. X has taken us to four sets both times we played them this year. And a few points here and there and the results could of been different. Duquesne is undefeated at home this year. Matter-of-fact, they are 39-4 in sets played at home this year. So, they've absolutely destroyed people at their place. We swept VCU a couple of weeks ago, but the last two sets were 25-22, 25-22. Temple was predicted to finish 11th and finished 5th. Last year they had 1 conference win, this year
they had 8. Last year they had 4 total wins. This year they have 18. And Butler has run off a nice string of wins when most people probably had them counted out to make the tournament not too long ago, and they also took us to 4 both times we played and could have easily beaten us at their place. What I'm saying is that probably for the first time in this conference's history (certainly in recent history), I'm sure every single team can see a path to winning this tournament. I think every single team loves it's chances and where they are at and feels if they can put everything together that they can win this thing. And guess what.... that's what it SHOULD Our team knows we have to play well to win two matches this weekend and we are going to do everything that we can to put ourselves in the best position possible to make it happen for us".

It is time to play for a championship and I expect the team to play well.
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools