Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Weekly Status
Weekly Status
UDBrian
Published by UDBrian
09-09-2013
Weekly Status

UD won two games out of three in their first week of play and Matt was kind enough to give me some feedback on their play. I'll have another article prior to the team playing this week in a very very tough Nebraska tournament.

Coach Affolder's first victory as a head coach came against a good Tulsa team. Congrats Matt! What was going through Matt's mind when the Flyers clinched a hard fought victory?

"It was a special moment, but I don't think I enjoyed it or looked at it like a "milestone" for me as it was just another match that our Dayton Flyers had won. It was definitely a tough match vs. a good team in Tulsa, and it was a hard-fought victory".

As the match was just starting they were handing out Dayton Flyers Rally Towels. We just happened to be sitting next to several Northeastern Volleyball players, the closest was a very charming libero/ds Bri Hollis. After I was handed a rally towel the guy handing them out asked Bri and the rest of the Northeastern volleyball team if they wanted a rally towel. We all had a great laugh over that. I then asked Bri whether she brought me some clam chowder from Quincy Market. I think she was totally shocked by the question but she quickly replied "I might have if I had known ahead of time". For those of you who love clam chowder the best I have ever had came from Quincy Market south of Boston. We also discussed their team building workouts during the off season which also surprised the entire team. I hope that Northeastern has a GREAT season this year.

As I mentioned the Flyers won the first match of the season. They then won early on Saturday against Northeastern University from Boston before losing handily to MSU.

The Flyers won the tournament with a 2-1 record. Here are Matt's thoughts on the weekend overall:

"Megan, Shayne and Janna obviously played well. -- Overall I thought we fought through some tough times and battled back late when down a few points to win sets. But then we didn't do that vs. Missouri State. I do think our blocking did some nice things, although we had some major deficiencies vs. Missouri State. I think we saw some really good offense and some really sub-par offense. That is why this is the first weekend - you get in on Monday and "Labor" away - work on your game and watch a lot of film from the first weekend to fix some of your problem areas".

Did you play poorly against MSU or just run into a team that could do no
wrong? --

"Both. We didn't block with the same focus and purpose as the previous two matches, and Missouri State used their physicality and put it to us. Irregardless if they lost to Tulsa (and went 2-1 in the tournament), they return every player from last year plus add a starting RS transfer who is a senior. They have some weapons and will be a really tough team in the Missouri Valley Conference this year (picke"d 2nd)".

Matt understood what to expect in last weekend's tournament.

"We had a good practice this morning (Labor Day Monday) with a lengthy film session to look at the areas where we need to get better. As you said, this is another great tournament as North Carolina and Ohio will probably be ranked (or at the very least receiving votes) in the AVCA Top 25 Poll this week, and Cincinnati is a good program with great athletes".

The Flyers lost to both potential top 25 teams last weekend while beating Cincinnati. I'll have Coach's comments about last weekend and the huge upcoming tournament in Nebraska PRIOR to the first match of the tournament.

Matt made it clear in his post game comments that the team needs to really improve their defense because they aren't a team that can get a side out whenever they want it.
Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools