Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Volleyball Update
Volleyball Update
UDBrian
Published by UDBrian
09-19-2013
Volleyball Update

The Flyers faced a very difficult challenge last week in the Nebraska tournament. As mentioned in my previous article they would be the underdogs in all of the matches. I think the team really grew up some over the weekend and here are some great comments from Matt regarding the teams play and unexpected travel issues.

"There is no question it was gut-check time for our team. But it was that way from the time we arrived at the Dayton International Airport. Our flight was being delayed due to mechanical problems in D.C., and we would have missed our connection in Chicago. We had to call the bus company just in case for back-up, and in turn, had to take a 12.5 hour bus ride overnight just to get to Lincoln on Thursday morning at 8:20 AM. We had a match that day at 4:30 PM vs. #17 Iowa State!!! It was a really odd trip, and I thought the team was feeling good and ready to go for Iowa State. We struggled early but started to figure them out into the 3rd set, but just didn't finish the deal to push them to a 4th or 5th set. I thought we played some solid ball vs. Nebraska, but we just made a few errors in the plus-20 time of the first two sets that cost us. The St. Mary's match was a very challenging tempo/style and I thought we really came out and played some pretty good ball. Alaina's kill % was much better, Janna was great in the back row, and Angle Agu and Jenna Jendryk were monsters at the net defensively. We faced match point in the 4th set, and then down 14-11 in the 5th set. The players buckled down, executed, made plays, and fought like crazy to pull out an incredible win. This was a HUGE win for this team. I definitely think we are progressing, but I don't think it will be obvious when looking at straight numbers or stats. Believe me, I am looking at that and trying to get everyone a little bit better each day. We are playing very good teams, and this weekend will begin with our 6th match vs. a ranked opponent in the last 7 matches!"

In looking at the play by play from the Saint Mary's match it was obvious that Alaina Turner played well offensively in the clutch periods of sets 4 and 5.

"Alaina definitely was aggressive and athletic in our final two matches. She was finding ways to score better than she had in previous matches. I thought Angel was a monster on the block, and Janna really dominated the match with her ball control and defense in her position".

It was pointed out on the UDPride message boards that the Flyers rank 21st in blocks per set. I have been really impressed in particular with the Flyers blocking by Jenna and Megan in combo.

"I think every front court player has had some shining moments. Jendryk and Campbell really go after the hitter, as do a few of our other players. Every day we are working on seeing hitters better, tracking the offense, seeing the setter's action, understanding what we want to take away, and our speed/technique in blocking".

The Flyers have struggled in some other aspects of the game so I asked Matt how they were doing compared to their goals.

"Our passing is improving, but still not to the level we are needing. Our hitting percentage is low, but that is mostly attributed to taking care of the ball when we are out-of-system as opposed to our swings when we can go for it. Our hitting % from the MH/RS is lower than we want it to be, but our MH/RS players are getting more swings (35% more) than they have in the past. They are carrying more of a load of the swings, and getting the ball in situations that aren't always in-system. Blocking has been solid, although when you watch film there are so many ways we can improve. Blocking 22.5 balls in a match (and 9.5 in the 5th set!!!) vs. St. Mary's is nuts, and can never be expected. But you strive to execute and form the team defense every play and then defend like crazy from there".

This week the Flyers face another tough challenge at home while hosting the Flyer Classic. The match on Friday against Western Michigan would be an expected dogfight. Here is Matt's take on the tournament.

"Another big-time event with some really good teams. I can tell you one thing, we are REALLY ready to see the Red Scare and all of Flyer Faithful in the Frericks Center this weekend. There is no sitting back and taking a weekend off for our squad. Western Kentucky is a great team, with a very challenging style of play. They will not back down from any fight, and are one of the top 30 teams in the country. Western Michigan has some great athletes and has played good ball thus far in the preseason. They will be one of the top 3-4 teams a strong MAC Conference this year. Wright State is in year two with their new coach and players, and I believe they will be one of the most improved teams in the country from a win/loss standpoint."

The Friday match is at 7pm so the chalk talk will begin at 6:30pm.
Article Tools
By NovaFlyer on 09-19-2013, 08:08 PM
Looking forward to the matches, we'll be there often to add our support.
Comment

Article Tools