Comment

Article Tools Display Modes
Vball Losses to Graduation
UDBrian
Published by UDBrian
08-28-2013

I believe that UD has reached a new level on their volleyball program. In my opinion they are capable of losing tremendous players and reloading the following year. This year will truely test my opinion because the Flyers lost three tremendous players to graduation.

To read about their accomplishments follow the link below. It worked two days ago but appears to be corrupted or moved from that location.

http://daytonflyers.com.ismmedia.com/ISM3/std-content/repos/Top/Womens%20Sports/Volleyball/2012/vball%20program%20insert%20-%202012.pdf

Paige Vargas

What comes to my mind first when I think of Paige? CLASS. The way she handled the arrival of Janna Kraftka went beyond being a great teammate. She loves to interact with kids and I doubt anyone enjoyed the free clinics more than Paige did. I also remember Paige being great to interview even after long grueling practices.

A libero/DS who finished second all time in digs at UD.

Megan Campbell: "Paige is a very energetic player, and she always does what's necessary for the team. I love playing on the court with her, especially since she gets so pumped after good plays".

Brigid Campbell: "Paige is the teammate that gets along with everyone and loves everyone. As a freshman, she really took me under her wing because we are from the same area. She is always happy and brings a lot of life to the team, on and off the court".

Isolde Hannan: "I would describe Paige with the word joyful. Rarely did she have a bad or down day. And if she was, it was hard to tell".

Rachel Krabacher

When I think of Rachel I think of CONTINUOUS IMPROVEMENT. She arrived at UD as a tall player who could terminate but didn't have a lot of power. Everything improved in her game each season, her blocking, her hitting power, her serving and serve receive. Her father told me during Rachel's senior year "I thought she was good in high school but now ...". I will miss watching Rachel play and speaking with her parents almost weekly during the season.

Rachel Krabacher was a two time Atlantic 10 player of the year.

Megan Campbell: "Kray is an outstanding player and has been a key to our success. We will miss her greatly on and off the court".

Brigid Campbell: "Kray is also a "mama duck" to this team. She has been in the program at Dayton for five years and has done nothing but better it everyday. She contributed so much to our success this year".

Isolde Hannan: "Kray was my nerd buddy throughout the year but being a nerd doesn’t always mean being smart (which is also is). I’d describe Kray as wise because she would take in the situation, find the best solution for the team, and then help us execute her plan".

Sam Selsky

When I think of Sam I think of GREAT DEFENSE. I'm sure that people who watched Sam play before she became a starter didn't expect her to become a great defensive player. Kelly Sheffield loved to talk about Sam's arrival at UD when she played California 'Ole defense. He made it clear that wouldn't cut it at UD. I would bet that Sam had more pancake saves than anyone she played with. But, Sam didn't just play defense she was a great setter who could make every set.

Samantha Selsky was a two time Atlantic 10 setter of the year.

Megan Campbell: "Sam has been a great leader for our team this year. She has also been my setter for the last two years, so it will definitely be weird not hitting off her next year. She will be greatly missed".

Brigid Campbell: "Sam is the "mama" on the team. She is the person everyone looks to when a question needs to be cleared up. She is always thinking about bettering the team and was a great leader for us this past season".

Isolde Hannan: "Sam I would describe as steadfast. She went through so much at her time here in Dayton and she didn’t let it stop or cut her down".

All three of the graduated seniors will be missed by myself and fans of the team.

Next up will be the season preview.

Article Tools
Comment

Article Tools